Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 20, 10 12:34 PM
Really good hog. Very clear graphic, interesting storyline, not to easy, not to hard gameplay. I am not sure if to buying the CE, I wait for more reviews because I have already bought three CEs this months (last month Royal Envoy, this month Ranch Rush 2, Sallys Salon and Love Chronicles; all are really worth the extra money).

Happy gaming to everyone!

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 20, 10 12:37 PM
I'm at the start of Chapter 3 and I've still got half my demo time left.

I found this game very simple. The objects were easy to find and most of the time I could find everything just by clicking methodically around the room. Not a whole lot of fun, frankly.

I was disappointed in the mini-games, such as there were. Nothing new or innovative here. The story line is good, I guess, but I rarely play for story line. I prefer a game that leads me through the story with the actual gameplay. All those videos and cut scenes just slow me down.

I did love that I could click through the dialogue scenes to speed the game up without having to skip the whole thing. More developers should offer this.

The graphics are good and the sound wasn't annoying or intrusive. One of the few times I haven't turned it off right away.

Based on length alone, it's definitely not worth the CE price for me. Considering how quickly I'm moving through it, even the regular $6.99 price might be too much. Think I'll put this on my "sale or DD" list.

Oh well. I can always head out to the real world and weed my flower beds! Yippee

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on May 20, 10 1:03 PM
Agree with majority of reviews and undecided on forking over the money to purchase. I was so hoping the next CE was going to be a hidden object game, here it is and I just didn't get that need to continue feeling. So, I'll wait for the regular version.

Gropitou
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Gropitou on May 20, 10 2:32 PM
Really liked the trial period. Interesting plot, multiple types of puzzles, great fun. Cant wait to see this come up on Daily Deal.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 20, 10 3:15 PM
I love point and click games and really don't mind going from room to room or area to find what I need. I do that in real life anyway! The music wasn't annoying, the hints refill quickly should you need them and you can skip through the dialog if you read fast instead of skipping the entire story. I like to get immersed in a story while I'm playing the game. I like getting a little lost then having an aha! moment when I figure it out. The game loaded and played well for me during the demo. I'm not into paying $20 for a CE though so will sit on my debit card till the regular version comes out.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 20, 10 3:17 PM
Thank you govegril for letting us know how long the game is. Three and a half hours of play would be worth the $6.99 price if you enjoy the game. I found it a little irritating. I might consider it in the future when it comes to the $2.99 Deal.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on May 20, 10 3:28 PM
I'm on the fence too - plan to wait for the regular version. I like searching from room to room, and using items I've found. This one just had so many hidden object scenes - an ok game but not one I have to have this moment. I'll keep playing Royal Envoy for now. I was so excited this morning to see a new CE - but, oh well...

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on May 20, 10 3:35 PM
I'm definitely not purchasing the Collector's Edition and plan to wait a few weeks for the regular game. Now this would be the time I would search for Poodlebear's review. I miss her!

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on May 20, 10 4:56 PM
Not sure what made it worth releasing a CE for, it's certainly not special.

Doubt I'll buy the regular edition, even on Daily Deal I'd be hard pushed. There are simply too many better games out there.

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on May 20, 10 5:07 PM
Yes I love it - this is my type of game!! I think pre-CE days it would have been one of the better games offered at $6.99 - but as these games seem few and far between, it makes it easier to up the price to a CE for now - add the exchange rate and it gets pretty costly. Still....I will probably buy. Loved the demo.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on May 20, 10 5:32 PM
I liked the first game, and I'd defintely buy it for $6.99; I might have waited for that edition, but am having surgery early next week so decided I'd while away the time amusing myself with a little get well (in advance) gift.

So far I've played 2 chapters during the demo, and if they become increasingly complex, I assume this will be at least 4 hours of playing time if not more.

The music is only so-so, but the other elements in the game are absolutely fine.

~Houdini Cats

Bboo2
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Bboo2 on May 20, 10 6:23 PM
I throughly enjoyed this game. Since I am an old folks the no hurry with it was great.
This is a very good one. I also noticed that the web screen for bigfish at the start of this game has a truer blue to its color and so nice on this old folks eye sight.
Thanks for a nice game.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on May 20, 10 6:38 PM
I really like the game,but i am not sure of,the CE game,thats a lot to pay for a game,MY question is,what extra stuff does it have,that the regular game does not have.Is there and extra game after this one,

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on May 20, 10 6:56 PM
I thought that most of the remarks were interesting and like most people I didn't really care for the game. I thought some of it was nice, but I would much rather spend my money on a [i]quality/i] game.

sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by sokjeff on May 20, 10 7:43 PM
I saw at another site that the new Midnight Mysteries-Salem Witch Trials is coming out soon. There is a video of it online already (you-tube) and looks amazing! It will be released as a collectors edition first. Based on the video this will be a definate buy for me even at the CE price. It looks like it will be out very soon!

Edited on 05/20/2010 at 7:44:09 PM PST

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on May 20, 10 7:55 PM
sokjeff wrote:I saw at another site that the new Midnight Mysteries-Salem Witch Trials is coming out soon. There is a video of it online already (you-tube) and looks amazing! It will be released as a collectors edition first. Based on the video this will be a definate buy for me even at the CE price. It looks like it will be out very soon!

Thanks for the info, this does sound like a great game (based on subject anyway)! Looking forward to this one too! Very hungry for a great game these days!

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on May 20, 10 7:56 PM
OMG, I just noticed that I morphed into a starfish! Sorry for the extra post, but how exciting!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on May 20, 10 10:01 PM
I just did a beta test for the Midnight Mysteries, so it should be out soon. Yes, it looks like it will also be a CE first.

As for Strange Cases, it is an OK game, not worth the CE price. I didn't have much trouble finding the objects, but completing tasks was a different story. At one point, I knew what I had to do and what item I needed, I just needed help finding the inventory item. Hitting the hint button only highlighted the task area again instead of nudging me in the direction of where the inventory item was located (Yes, I know I need a screwdriver to open the vent, but WHERE is the silly thing).

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on May 20, 10 11:23 PM
Dee_H wrote:OMG, I just noticed that I morphed into a starfish! Sorry for the extra post, but how exciting!

Congrats on your morph, Dee_H!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 21, 10 12:28 AM
I didn't think I would enjoy this one, but I did. However, I can certainly wait for the standard version. I didn't use the strategy guide until I was trying to use the code on the chest in the cellar. The skip button wouldn't work and the strategy guide was absolutely no help. Plus, as others have said it was frustrating to have to leave the game to use it. The hints refreshed really quickly, but were only helpful if you needed to find a hidden object. Trying to use them to find out what to do was worthless. Most of the time, though, it was pretty easy to figure out what to do after thinking about it for a bit. Overall a great game, but I can't see what the benefit is in purchasing the CE version other than playing the game a few weeks early.

Go to: