it's a magic!

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Re:Good Game?

[Post New]by kspes on May 23, 10 7:53 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm Kresimir Spes, technical director/producer at Cateia Games; I'm really glad to see so much positive reviews in such a short time

@bball111: I'm not really sure why the distintion 'large file adventure game'. Legend of Crystal Valley was about 500 MB in size while hotel is arround 150 MB. We used modern compression technologies to reduce the size, the result was quite nice

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on May 23, 10 8:21 AM
kspes wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm Kresimir Spes, technical director/producer at Cateia Games; I'm really glad to see so much positive reviews in such a short time

@bball111: I'm not really sure why the distintion 'large file adventure game'. Legend of Crystal Valley was about 500 MB in size while hotel is arround 150 MB. We used modern compression technologies to reduce the size, the result was quite nice

Thank you for your response. It looks like a good game. Now, if they would just get the walkthru up and running.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 9:18:40 AM PST

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on May 23, 10 10:49 AM
Ivanbral & Kspes, I don't post often, but wanted you to know I loved Crystal Valley and am looking forward to Hotel. If it's anything like Crystal Valley - it will soon be one of my favorites. Please keep these good games coming.
Thanx!

[Post New]by AzKelly927 on May 23, 10 11:03 AM
I've d/l the game but when I hit new game, I get an error message. Here is just a partial of the message....
Error loading scene prologue Video OGRE exception 3: render APIE exception surface lock failed...........

I didn't finish copying the whole message as I get a few words copied and it phases it, so I have to click new game again to have the message come up. Can you help me here and tell me what could be wrong. Direct X maybe?

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 23, 10 2:47 PM
well, i am very happy for the "magic" because i am so thrilled to have a LF-quality game in a small package that i can test drive... of course, i bought it, but still... just being able to have the demo time was terrific!

thanks!

2leap
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by 2leap on May 23, 10 2:53 PM
Thank you, developers. This is the game I have been waiting for - a large file adventure with training wheels. After trying a few I was about to give up. Felt frustrated and lonely wandering around forever with my little flashlight, or whatever. This has a fascinating story, great graphics, paranormal features, a castle, and hints if needed.
Thanks again.

catpang888
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by catpang888 on May 23, 10 3:33 PM
This game?? hmm.. ok la, not too bad la. Not too short nor long, so so la.. I like the graphic but only that too much dialogue to read, I would prefer the characters to speak out, save me alots of time reading.

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on May 23, 10 9:45 PM
Hi every one. I enjoy a good point and click. But this game a long with many others in the past few months can't hold a candle to Siberia.1 or 2.I am a Nancy Drew fan, they are full of action, intrigue all that we enjoy in games.Unfortunately this game just wasn't overly full of excitement.But you have to give them credit for trying, and the fact that many people can't afford expensive games you get what you pay for.I love Big fish and they do get some good games in that are fun and enjoyable for all the different people that have different tastes.So happy gaming every one.

[Post New]by OregonPandora on May 23, 10 10:21 PM
This game is great fun!!! Having a wonderful time. Castle, ghosts, mummies, king Arthur, etc., who could ask for more.

This game is not terribly hard and beginners should be able to handle it, but it is so much fun that experienced adventure players will enjoy it, too.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on May 24, 10 12:21 AM
genkicoll wrote:Oh, yes! I was thinking it reminded me of Legend of Crystal Valley when I looked at the screens I surely do love it when developers drop in

Perhaps instead of merely stating that a game is X, you could say that it is X & Y or X & Z?

They already do this. When you click on a game to read about it and decide to try or buy, scroll down and look at the bottom left of the page. All categories that the game fits in are listed there.

This game has Adventure, Puzzle and HOG listed.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When you hold your cursor over a game title, it usually gives you a small picture of the game, the title, and at the bottom is the name of the category that the game has been placed in. It might be nice if that was changed so that it shows all of the categories the game is listed in, not just the one. A lot of games are in two or more categories. I don't go to every single game page. That would take forever. So, I just highlight a title and see what it says. If it's in a category that I'm not interested in, I pass it by. Which could be very unfair to the game. I'd be very upset to have missed one of my very fave games, "Return To Ravenhurst", just because I'm so tired of all the HOGs. The puzzles are worth the HOG parts, at least to me. Which is why I suggested a change.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. Since "Hotel" seems to be a adventure game (and not a disguised HOG ), I think I'll give it a try. Many thanks to ivanbral for jumping in and letting us all know about the game.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on May 24, 10 11:08 AM
Excellent game & a true (REAL) adventure game...
not an hidden object game w/ some adventure-style elements interwoven.

Story is quite interesting, graphics attractive, interface perfect...
I am so happy!

It's lovely how BFG takes such care to have game offerings of many styles/genres; something for everyone.

$6.99 ? a complete steal / must-buy game for sure...

Hvala vam Cateia - briljantnu igru !

Edited on 06/30/2010 at 12:44:13 PM PST

geezing
Catfish
Catfish
1,722 Posts

[Post New]by geezing on May 24, 10 12:13 PM
I played the demo for 30 minutess and knew it was my kind of game, and bought it. I love adventure/mystery without combat. Game play (save game often) and maneuvering was awkward until I learned the controls, and exasperating at the cemetery when the screen froze. I started hammering keys until the space bar unfroze the image. Thank you Ivan & company for such an enjoyable game I hope to see more of your work in the near future!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 24, 10 12:17 PM
thank you for playing!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 24, 10 12:49 PM
Hi Devs,
Just jumping in to say, I too loved Crystal Valley and looking forward to playing Hotel today. Thank you for a great adventure game in a smaller package for those that need them especially. I don't have that problem but always feel bad for those that would like to play but because of the file size they can't. Nice going
We love having company come

Peeshee

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 24, 10 5:31 PM
I really like this one. I couldn't have done it as quickly without the walkthrough, but it was great fun anyway. I hope we see Bridget back in another game soon. I get a chuckle when the characters pull ladders and other large objects out of their pockets! I'm glad that jerky detective was a bad guy. Well worth the price. Kudos to the developers.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 24, 10 8:00 PM
ivanbral wrote:Hello,

my name is Ivan Bralic and I'm the Executive Producer / Production Designer in Cateia Games - the developer behind "Hotel".
I cannot tell you if the game is good or not, for it wouldn't be fair, right?

Well, it would be fair for me to say it. This was a great game, the best I've played in quite a while, and I truly enjoyed myself in the adventure. I'm not the most advanced gamer, so I liked getting the hints when I needed them, and only when I asked for them. It made me feel like I was getting a lot done "on my own" with minimal help, but it was there when I needed it.

Great game, and I hope we see more from your company!

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on May 24, 10 9:55 PM
Let me start by saying I have played a lot of adventure games (Syberia I and II, pretty much all the Nancy Drews, Return to Mysterious Island I and II, Agatha Christie games... really almost every LFG on Big Fish). Some people have mentioned that this game has the feel of a large file game but note the much smaller file size. That is because it is a smaller game... there are only voice overs in the first minute, the graphics are not state-of-the-art, and the game is much shorter than the ones I mentioned (fewer places to explore, fewer puzzles, fewer objects and people to interact with...). If you buy this game expecting another Syberia, you'll be disappointed.

That being said, this game is still fun, has an interesting story line, and has some great features that will be particularly appreciated by those who are new to adventure games. The optional hints to find interactive areas are very helpful, as is the ability to double-click and walk quickly to places you have already been. The game is pretty user friendly and the tutorial tells you everything you need to know to get around. The puzzles are pretty straightforward and mildly to moderately challenging. For people who get frustrated about having to keep lots of notes during adventure games, you'll enjoy that (except for just one puzzle, I think) all the info is right in the same room as the puzzle.

Basically, this isn't one of the best adventure games I have played, but it was certainly a fun way to spend a few hours, and I don't regret the purchase.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 25, 10 4:41 AM
This would be a great game for someone who has never played a traditional adventure game. The game play is like an adventure game but you are given hints to the locations of all the hot spots and entrances and exits in each scene. This feature certainly lowers the frustration level that I sometimes have while aimlessly wandering in other adventure games. Unfortunately the hot spot hints stay active even after you have completed everything you can do at that spot. That can be a little confusing since you may think there is still some action to complete at that spot.

There is even a tutorial at the beginning of the game to show you how to navigate in the game and use your inventory. If you enjoy playing adventure games by the traditional touch, look at and investigate everything you can play that way by just choosing not to click on the Hint button.

The Options menu has lots of choices for the sound and video preferences and there is not a custom cursor, so there are no worries about that.

You can skip dialogues and cut scenes by pressing the Space Bar and you can speed up the detective’s walking by holding the Space Bar. After you have visited scenes in an area, you can just double click an exit from the scene and you will be taken to the next scene entrance without having to plod along step by step. I really enjoyed having that double click option. The entrances and exits around the edges of the scenes are sometimes a little hard to find.

There is a lot of dialogue to read but that is typical for an adventure game. The story is a mystery with a supernatural element woven in for interest. I was eager to see what would happen next and the unusual storyline held my interest. It does get a bit violent toward the end of the game.

The few puzzles in the game are not too difficult and were enjoyable to play. I would like to have seen more puzzles to balance out all of the time spent on the story dialogue. The game is a good length and is worth the price. It should give you a pleasant day of entertainment.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on May 25, 10 8:05 AM
It WOULD be a great game, if it worked.

Already jumped through all the hoops (uninstall/reinstall 5 times, uninstall/reinstall Flash & Shockwave, updated DirectX, checked for drivers, made sure I met the minimum system requirements, emailed Customer Service) and still crashes, like many, MANY games have, lately.

I'll probably get another coupon (will be the 4th? in the last 30 days), which I don't want. I want a game that will play correctly, the first time I install it. I can understand having problems if I was computer illiterate. I'm not; I'm a borderline PC geek.

It appears, based on all the recent complaints in the various forums, that BFG has ceased beta testing and/or reviewing games, proofreading information (to make sure it's correct and true) posted for games and ignoring fixes for games that don't meet a certain level of sales (for instance: Little Noir Stories has been completely ignored and no one - from BFG - is responding to any of the "technical issues" posts).

All I see, any more, is throwing garbage up and tossing coupons at the hoards because the games are unplayable and/or complete garbage (games for adults that would bore a 5 year old to tears). for BFG. Used to be great; now, they've slid to the bottom of the swamp with all their lousy competitors.

Good (used to be great, too, but they're swamped because of all the problems) customer service just won't cut it, any longer.

Am I peeved? You get three guesses and the first two incorrect guesses don't count.

Go to: