forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by forensicMD on May 23, 10 10:10 AM
Many of you obviously have far more patience than I. At first, I thought it was a game i would really like, but when I got to the desk and then went up the left hand stairs, I felt really good that I had made the correct choice as the room number was right in front of me. Then everything went wrong. I could not get her back downstairs to get the key for the room. I must have clicked thirty times and she would move a step or two if I was lucky, but mostly she just stayed where she was, to the left of the sign-in area of the desk. I never did figure out how to get the key and that took the last shred of my patience. The concept of the game seemed to be a good one and maybe I will go back and try it another time, If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 23, 10 10:15 AM
forensicMD wrote:Many of you obviously have far more patience than I. At first, I thought it was a game i would really like, but when I got to the desk and then went up the left hand stairs, I felt really good that I had made the correct choice as the room number was right in front of me. Then everything went wrong. I could not get her back downstairs to get the key for the room. I must have clicked thirty times and she would move a step or two if I was lucky, but mostly she just stayed where she was, to the left of the sign-in area of the desk. I never did figure out how to get the key and that took the last shred of my patience. The concept of the game seemed to be a good one and maybe I will go back and try it another time, If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

The "walk' icons are sometimes hard to find on the edges of the screen but if you get stuck you can click on the HINT button that is in the lower right of the screen. When you click the HINT button all of the "walk" and "look at or touch" icons show up on the screen. That makes it easier to see where you can enter and exit the scenes. Good luck!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 23, 10 10:58 AM
I loved Legend of Crystal Valley so this one will be a definate buy for me! It's a great game for people that would like to play adventure games but don't know how. This one just pushes you in the right directions if you need it. My graphics were clear, no glitches found in the demo. There is no voice over, so that may bother those that want to hear the people instead of reading the dialog. Have fun everyone and for those that didn't like it, hope something more to your liking comes along next week!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on May 23, 10 11:34 AM
Need help please!! I have been trying forever to learn the ins and outs of these point and click games, but I have somewhere missed the obvious. How the heck to you interact with your character? This game, I can not get the person to release her suitcase. I think I might like this kind of game if I could figure out how to work it. According to the help they offer, you click on your character or whatever he/she is holding and go from there. Well, that didn't work. I would appreciate some advice as I am a complete novice here. Could you help an old lady out of a frustrated funk??

[Post New]by Sherlock57 on May 23, 10 11:43 AM
I enjoyed this game up until Biggi hooked the digital camera to her laptop. After that I could not go any futher. I closed the game and started again at the beginning, because I didn't get to save my progress. I got back to the same part, and it happened again. I had some kind of message in the taskbar, but couldn't open it. I really liked the game, but don't want to buy it, if I can't play pass this point. Has anyone else had this problem?

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 23, 10 11:45 AM
Just finished the demo and I liked it quite a lot!

The graphics are good, teh naimation excellent, the music was ok as background (someone compalined it is too silent, it is but I didn't have a problem with that and I certainly prefer a silent game to one in which I have to disable the sounds or curse the casting responsible).

The story line was interesting enough, slightly spooky and YES, you can actually get around by mere logic in many cases (although you can carry around a ladder before knowing what you might want it for, which is not too logical but very convenient ).

Another fishy mentioned the hint button is useless: It is not very helpful as it only shows you the hot spots (which you can already find by moving your cursor around and watching it change shape), but as I said I didn't find a real need to use it anyway.

There is quite a lot of dialogue but I wasn't disturbed by it as it was all relevant and straight to the point.

The tutorial was short and concise, which is highly appreciated, you can save by pressing F2 which I found most convenient and the help button displays all the key-shortcuts you may need.

I would recommend this to those who love adventure / large file games, especially to those who usually have a hard time with this genre. Also, it doesn't have 360º which is plus for many players as they won't feel .

Just as an orientation (but just my opinion so I might be wrong) I'd say it is a bit easier than Syberia and definitively less frustrating than Rhiannon, for example.

Oh, I haven't experienced any technical issues so far, which is also good!

Happy gaming.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 11:47:48 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 23, 10 11:45 AM
Hi Ladygem

If you click on the suitcase in your inventory and then click on the wardrobe she will put it away. Make sure that you click the hand icon when you want to do something physically and not the magnifying glass.

Hope this helps.

C

culady
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by culady on May 23, 10 11:50 AM
LizzieK: Terrific review. We should be so lucky to have a lot more!

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on May 23, 10 12:00 PM
cherbtoo wrote: Hi Ladygem

If you click on the suitcase in your inventory and then click on the wardrobe she will put it away. Make sure that you click the hand icon when you want to do something physically and not the magnifying glass.

Hope this helps.

C

Took me forever to figure out that I had - abosolutely HAD - to click on the hand to get something. I think I went up & down the staircase about 6 times trying to get the darn room key.

Hey, that's why she's in such good shape - she gets a lot of exercise walking around... and around... and back & forth... and around. I think she's lost about 10lbs since I started playing!

I'm undecided about the game. I like it so far and REALLY appreciate MargieB posting the walkthrough - I couldn't figure out what I was missing. I think I'm going to hold off on it and see what else comes up before the end of the month. I THINK I have only one punch left to fill a card, but I'm not sure. Need a punch card update from BF to know where I'm at. But If I don't get it this month, it will go on the "to get" list.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on May 23, 10 12:03 PM
Gieyo: Great review! Thanks for comparing it to other adventure games, too. Now I can see if I want to try those.

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on May 23, 10 12:09 PM
I miss poodlebear's reviews.
giggyann

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on May 23, 10 12:17 PM
Thanks Guys for your help, advice and humorous comments!! I appreciate it so much. I'm going straight to the game now and see if I can get that darn suitcase out of her hand! Thanks again!!

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on May 23, 10 12:36 PM
I miss Poodlebear too, but LizzieK has stepped up to the plate. THANKS LIZZIE

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 23, 10 1:13 PM
so... i think i am liking this game... i was really caught up in the intro movie, the details in the graphics... it really felt like a LFG! it is obvious that a lot of work went into it and the story was built from a solid foundation - this was not just thrown together...

for adventurers out there... give this one a try... if there are LFG that you didn't want to buy because you couldn't take it for a test drive - here's your chance... i felt like i was getting the same detail as dracula:origin but in a smaller package... so great!

another great thing i would like to point out is that the game is not strictly linear... you can pick up stuff whenever you find it and use it when you need to - not only when the game tells you to... oh, you don't know how much i hate that! so this game gets a definite just for letting me play the way i want to...

one tricky thing is that i have to remember to put my inventory away or my "walk" icons don't show up like they're supposed to...

aside from that i think i'm having a wonderful time - better than our investigative friend, anyway - some vacation!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 23, 10 1:30 PM
I'm afraid this type of game isn't for me. I played for 15 minutes and already got stuck, not being able to find a way to open the locked hotel room door. I had no idea how to find a key and the hint button was of no use. I think I'll stick to the IHOG games and leave these for those who know how to navigate them better.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 23, 10 1:43 PM
I really appreciate the nice comments about my review. Some games are very different after you get farther into the game than the one hour demo. So I rarely write a game review because I generally want to play the whole game before I gather my thoughts on the game. Generally I only write my comments on games I either love or hate.

It is just by coincidence that I was not able to sleep last night and saw this game when it was released. I like that the developer has incorporated a new approach to what we usually see as a large file adventure game by adding the HINT system in this game. We game players are always asking for options in our games and I think this developer has been listening. So I was inspired by their innovation to write my thoughts on the game.

I am flattered at being spoken of in the same topic as Poodlebear when it comes to reviews. What I am doing is not anywhere near the scope of what she was doing. We all miss her comments and I hope she will take up her pen again someday.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 1:44:32 PM PST

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on May 23, 10 2:13 PM
Thanks to all for your reviews! I was hesitant after feeling like a complete idiot on the tire tube in AOM-Puppeteer! I like Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes games. I assume it is like that but possibly a little more user-assisted? (Don't want to say user-friendly because it is a spooky adventure after all!) I am downloading trial now and cross my fingers for no tech issues! Thanks again!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 23, 10 2:17 PM
I enjoyed playing this game very much. I thought it was nice to play a light adventure game that does not make you wander around a zillon screens talking to as many folks to figure what you need to do.
The puzzles were great in this game too.

For those that like the hint system and feel it makes playing adventure games a bit easier, the Art of Murder games have this system and I think the Chronicles of Mystery Scorpio Rituals also has this.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 23, 10 4:19 PM
Thought I'd peek since it appeared to have a castle & we like those. Very 90s & therefore incredibly ugly graphix.....WOW. Now I remember why I got away from this genre. Tho I did have a wee bit of fun holding down the space bar & making the chick speedwalk & bounce off walls ROFL

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 23, 10 4:23 PM
forensicMD wrote:I never did figure out how to get the key and that took the last shred of my patience. The concept of the game seemed to be a good one and maybe I will go back and try it another time, If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

OK would this be considered a SPOILER?: (hilite b/c there are Spoiler Police who will yell at me in case it is LOL)
I clicked the box on the wall that held the keys & it flew open & her hand was in it. Yeah, it didn't make much sense to me either.

Go to: