Re:Your Comments and Review for Ranch Rush 2 - Sara's Island Experiment

[Post New]by Trixie49 on Jun 5, 10 11:52 AM
CtrlAltDel wrote:RR2 was a long wait and I'm glad it's finally here. I'm embarrassed to admit I can not do Friday on week 9 in expert mode. I get all the way to Thursday ok and then I bomb on Friday. I got to the point where I ran out of money to buy machines and had to do the whole thing over from the start. Then again, I bomded and finally got to where I didn't have enough money to buy the required machines.

If RR2 creators are listening, it would be nice if the game knew you couldn't win and announced that and ended or allowed one to go back to the Monday of that week with the same money one had when they started so one didn't have to do all the previous weeks over again.

I love the additions to this game from RR and am already looking forward to RR3 (and am looking for someone to bribe to help me complete expert mode, Friday of week 9.).

Cheers,
CtrlAltDel

CtrlAltDel
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by CtrlAltDel on Jun 5, 10 8:36 PM
I did it! I made it through Friday week 9! Muahahahahhhaa I'm sure the next time I play I might not make it, it was that close.

CAD

khumprp
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by khumprp on Jun 6, 10 9:38 AM
CtrlAltDel wrote:I did it! I made it through Friday week 9! Muahahahahhhaa I'm sure the next time I play I might not make it, it was that close.

CAD

Good job! I guess next time I'll have to make it harder?

Pat

[Post New]by MeganMontgomery on Jun 6, 10 12:21 PM
Cute game if you like trying to beat a count-down timer.

I wish I had played the demo before I bought this one because it's just not for me. I don't care for games where it limits the amount of time to complete a level and if you don't beat the timer you fail the level like in this game.

I prefer games like Farm Frenzy or Farm Craft, where although there's a timer you still have control over how long you want to or need to finish a level and can never really 'fail' a level, only lose rewards likes trophies or gold stars or whatever if you take longer than usual.

rthomas
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by rthomas on Jun 7, 10 9:49 PM
I too have enjoyed the rr and rr2, but I do have some complaints about rr2. 1. The pests are just everywhere all the time. There's way to many of them. The automatic bug spray needs to become available way sooner. 2. There are so many trophies that I couldn't obtain in this one. 3. There's no walk through to help out on how to lay out the farm for the best success. I really like tm games in general, but this is a very frustrating one I'll admit. I'm glad I didn't spend the $20.00 on the CE. I bought Royal Envoy CE and I loved that one. I've played Fantastic Farm many times and have been able to get through the expert mode and receive all the trophies. I like challenges, but this one is just a bit much.
R.Thomas

CtrlAltDel
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

Note: Spoiler - so don't read unless you don't mind spoilers

[Post New]by CtrlAltDel on Jun 10, 10 9:51 AM
When I grow up, I want to make computer games.

I've played this about 5 times in expert mode now. I have ADD and don't pay attention to details. I never thought about what day of the week it was. The first time I tried the expert mode I didn't realize to not build ahead for the next day, when I was on the very last day of the game. I also didn't think to get rid of the goats when I no longer needed them, so they wouldn't eat my clover - same with the monkeys and bananas. Once I no longer need a crop, say the bananas, I will delete the crop and plant poms (or oranges) so that I didn't have to wait to load the juice machines.

The last time I played the last day, which was last night, I actually had 1/2 of the time left when I finished! I was blown away. Another tip is that I use all 4 storage thingies by the last week. 2 of them are filled with gift baskets and 2 with milk. Gift baskets are the biggest pain to me and I only have 5 goats in my setup so that helps me load the icecream machine.

I'm delighted with this game and hope to see RR3 much sooner than the time between RR and RR1. I've played a few of the other games mentioned in this thread but I think RR is far suprior. Everyone has different tastes and so I understand the different oppinions.

For example, I liked Tradewinds 2 (I never tried Tradewinds 1) but when I went to 3, I was totally confused and never took to the game.
My favorite games are Ranch Rush series, Westward series, Build A Lot series (although not challenging enough) and I liked Chocolatier until the last release. I haven't even played it a full hour yet.

I kill time while waiting for a new release of my favorite games playing Plants vs Zombies but sadly I'm beyond bored with it now.

Okies, enough rambling about things you don't what to know about.
Cheers,
CAD

bluedage
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bluedage on Jun 11, 10 3:19 AM
I love this game. I have played the regular and the untimed ways. I like the extras on the untimed version. This is "family" friendly and it's fun. Especially beating out the weird guy Victor.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 12, 10 2:29 PM
Ranch Rush 2 - Sara's Island Experiment

You start off with two difficulty options: Casual or Expert. The "Freeplay" option is only available in the Collector's Edition of this game. I chose Casual.

Sara's been too busy being famous to actually get her hands in the dirt for quite a while. She's gone on an island vacation, but of course, all that tropical vegetation is just too tempting to miss, so she buys some land on the spot and starts growin'.

Easy to learn, you can "stack" instructions - ie. click on the crates three times to pick up three, then click on three of the plant beds while you're still waiting for her to get the crates. You have to watch to make sure that your crops stay watered, lest you have to replant. There is also a monkey who will help you to obtain coconuts... as long as you bribe him with bananas

The game starts off kind of slow, but things really get hopping once you get the goat. You'll have to gather the produce, bribe the monkey, collect crabs from the beach, water the garden plots and watch the goat steal your flowers and sneak into her pen to steal her milk while she's not looking. Starting at week three you get a juicer, too.

Sara likes to go fishing on Sundays, so off she goes. The mini-fishing game is actually my favorite part of the game It's your usual sit-in-a-boat-and-cast-to-catch-fish game, but there are multiple-sized fish. Once you catch so-many small fish, you earn a new lure and can catch bigger fish, etc. Something else different is that once the fish breaks the water at the surface, you have to catch it in your boat. You might get a treasure chest bonus, too, always a plus, but watch out for the sting rays! They'll give Sara a shock!

There are nine weeks to the game, and I finished week 2 with seven minutes to spare of my demo, so it's a decent length.

The graphics are nice, and the music has a nice, tropical feel to it - about what you'd expect for this type of game. Sara's text dialog is also spoken, which is a nice touch.

I think Time Management fans will enjoy this game, especially if they liked the first Ranch Rush

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 2:30:08 PM PST

chadilia
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by chadilia on Jun 13, 10 3:21 AM
Here is my review of Ranch Rush 2, for LizzieK's contest. (See http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/100442.page to enter!)

The general idea: You're given a list of crops to harvest and other edible goodies that you need to have ready by the end of each day. If you successfully deposit the required goods in your barn before time is up, you're awarded money that you can use to buy more equipment, animals, crops, or decor. The game is broken up into weeks: M-F you harvest goods, on Sat. you sell goods at the market, and on Sun. you get to play a great bonus fishing game!

GAMEPLAY
4.5/5 stars.
The good: A brilliant time management game that's a step above the regular old TM games, involving much more strategy. You need to spend your money wisely to buy the right numbers of each item, and you also need to spatially arrange everything optimally for Sara to "rush" around most efficiently. Crops just take a couple clicks to harvest, but other goods require a series of steps. E.g., making a pie requires you to bribe a monkey with bananas to pick coconuts, snag eggs from ducks, and harvest sugar. Those who thrive on multitasking are sure to become quickly addicted!

The bad: The biggest irk I had is if you know you won't succeed, you can't restart the level - you have to wait for the time to run out, which takes several minutes. Another problem was that it was too easy to scroll through the landscape on accident, by simply moving your cursor near the edges of the screen. (I think a better solution would be to let the players "grab" the landscape with their cursor and drag it around.) And a minor issue I had was that the game was very "picky" about space allocation - even though there appears to be room to place an object, the game won't always let you.

GRAPHICS
4/5 stars.
Very cartoony graphics, which isn't my favorite, but they were colorful and most importantly, clear. The silly cute animal animations added to the enjoyment.

SOUND
3/5 stars.
The music was generic, and got repetitive after a while. The sound effects were fine, but the voice acting sounded a bit amateur.

STORY
I usually prefer games with a great story, and there wasn't anything captivating with this game. I won't let that affect my overall rating of the game, though, since its focus was really just pure TM.

OVERALL
I give this game 4.5/5 for its fantastic and highly addictive gameplay!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jun 18, 10 6:05 AM
Just noticed I had posted this under Technical issues (doh!!):

Purchased this game and decided to give it a try last night. I intended to only play for about half an hour and then go to bed. Well, let me say, that didn't happen! 4 hours LATER, I had to drag myself away to get some sleep. Really fun game! It seems very easy in the first couple of levels but soon becomes very challenging trying to manage your time. Challenging in a doable way though, not a frustrating throw your computer out the window type way.

I really love that so many new things are constantly being introduced. The game never becomes repetitious or tedious because of this. I also like the zoom feature and that you can move your farm around. I have never tried Ranch Rush 1 before this but you can bet when I finish this one, I will be buying it now. All in all, great game!

(This is now one of my fave TM games of all time)

[Post New]by Shammie_girl on Jun 19, 10 3:27 PM
Really loved RR1 but not matter how hard I try to get RR2 downloaded it just keeps coming up with Error..unable to read...Arghhhh not going to buy the game until I know it will work on my PC (on Farm Mania I can actually go and make a coffe whilst the cow is being fed!!!) But really want to try this RR2, any suggestions on how to download the free trial?

[Post New]by lindaloo27 on Jun 23, 10 3:22 PM
I loved this game! I have one question I am hoping someone can help me with. Now Sarah can hold 3 seed bags at once. What does that do? I don't have her carrying seed bags around the farm so not sure what the benefit is. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it!

Love the way you can zoom out to see the whole farm. RR1 was hard because you couldn't see the whole thing -

Thanks

khumprp
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by khumprp on Jun 24, 10 7:42 AM
lindaloo27 wrote:I loved this game! I have one question I am hoping someone can help me with. Now Sarah can hold 3 seed bags at once. What does that do? I don't have her carrying seed bags around the farm so not sure what the benefit is. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it!

Love the way you can zoom out to see the whole farm. RR1 was hard because you couldn't see the whole thing -

Thanks

When you get the 3-Seed Bag Upgrade, this allows Sara to carry three seeds for planting at once. So, instead of:

click bag
plant
click bag
plant
click bag
plant

Now you can:
click bag
click bag
click bag
plant
plant
plant

It's a big time saver!

[Post New]by lindaloo27 on Jun 24, 10 2:50 PM
You know I tried that but I must have done it wrong. Thank you so much for your reply - that is a big timesaver!

Graystoke
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Graystoke on Jul 3, 10 1:15 PM
yanks222 wrote:
The pie machine takes coconut, eggs and the sugar cane, not the pineapples. The gift basket machine uses pineapples.

Hope this helps, I just love this game!

I know it takes coconuts, eggs and sugar cane but still gets stuck there. Today it got stuck on trying to shear my llama and so I couldn't make the bale quota. What should I do. Email me straight to drummernanc2004@aol.com

[Post New]by cynthiap on Jul 11, 10 2:20 PM
i love rr2 but i cant complete the ranch. i hope when rr3 comes out that they will allow more ranch space, and maybe a helper for sara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CACuriousSoul
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by CACuriousSoul on Jul 16, 10 11:03 PM
I love love love this version of the game but found the decorations not very useful because I needed all the room I could get for my animals, gear, machines and crops. I also wish there was a way to play the fishing game on its own after completing X number of levels and that could be a different set of trophies like going the longest without getting shocked, your longest streak of catching fish without a miss, etc...

[Post New]by Sara35 on Jul 25, 10 12:06 PM
You guys really outdid yourselves with Ranch Rush 2! I've never had so much frustrating fun in my life. It took a lot of trial/error (um, I won't mention my gaming hours) but I finally got my trophy for completing Expert mode without failing an order. What a challenge that was! Love the graphics and storyline with Victor/Victoria, Coco stealing my bananas, and the Sunday fishing is a kewl mini game Kudos to all that worked on this game. I can tell that you worked very hard on this and gave it a lot of thought. I give it two thumbs up, three if I had them.

BlueSkunk12
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by BlueSkunk12 on Aug 8, 10 1:16 AM
I think the best thing about RR2 is the fishing. The other improvements don't make up for how hard it is.

I'll just go back to RR1 and find a fishing game to play.

metmichallica
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,184 Posts

[Post New]by metmichallica on Oct 4, 10 6:00 AM
Imo the Ranch Rush series needs a relaxed mode.

Go to: