MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,707 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 3, 18 1:13 PM
A no buy for me!

Played the other Mortimer Beckett games and enjoyed them well enough. This one is, wait for it....boring and silly, not to mention cartoonishly garish! Mortimer looks like a slightly more animated Howdy Doody!

Abs

cathybobcat
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 3, 18 2:30 PM
It was a surprise to only have a 60 minute demo, but realize this game is from another site. I do not understand why this is CE worthy other than the fact that it has bonus levels. I could not find any info on any extras on the main page or map page. I could not find a strategy guide. If there is one, I don't know where it is located. There are those who benefit from a guide and it should be included. It is part of what we are paying extra for, isn't it? There are no gameplay level options....easy, hard, custom....nothing. The " how to play" instructions are utterly lacking and only a paragraph. All you get is an introductory tutorial.

Another thing I absolutely hate is not having any puzzle instructions. Utterly negligent. I don't like having to figure out what to do in puzzles. The game can be challenging enough without not knowing what you are supposed to do in puzzles...and having to figure it out on your own. It is particularly aggravating when you are not a puzzle fan, anyway. The skip takes forever like in older games. I could not figure out what to do in the second puzzle where you have to punch in the squares....maybe it's easy for some, but it wasn't for me. I clicked on the ? mark in the upper left hand corner by mistake and because of that and not doing the puzzle I did not receive a complete check mark for that level. I don't know if you can replay levels or not to get a complete, but it would not have mattered for me because I couldn't do the puzzle because of no instructions. Very frustrating.

Graphics are like a cartoon and bright. Mouse is cute to find and the zoom is very helpful to find the fragmented items. Without it, I would have been unable to find the fragments.

I have the other Mortimer Beckett games and like them. They are in a class all their own and I wish they would have made more before this. This one, I am not so sure about, though. I can't see where it is CE worthy, and would like to read some other reviews about the rest of the game from those who bought and completed it. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it, but BF is having a sale for members today. That's a gamble I will have to think about.

cathybobcat
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 3, 18 5:34 PM
This CE was first released at the end of Oct 2017, and as of yet there is no SE available that I can find anywhere. There is a walkthrough available for this, although not on BF. Because of this I have doubts as to whether a SE will be released or not. It doesn't mean there won't be one, but 2 months is a very long time for a SE not to be released elsewhere...or anywhere.

I don't know why this was classified as a CE without the extras expected, especially a strategy guide...which makes it necessary for a walkthrough because of the lack of instructions for puzzles and whatever else may be confusing to players. It was quite negligent.

Because of the surprise sale BF has provided for members, I bought this game to add to the others I own. It is a different sort of game and I like the others I have, so I will see what is up ahead in this one as I only played the demo. I don't doubt that I will be having to refer to a walkthrough or these forums for info.

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Jan 4, 18 12:31 PM

Halfway through the demo, I felt lukewarm about this version of Mortimer Beckett -- completely unlike the older entries in the series and I had my doubts about it. But because of the half-price sale, I bought it anyway and am so glad I did! It maybe doesn't feel particularly like a Mortimer game, but is a good game in its own right --fun and bright and a delightful change from the macabre games so prolific today. Someone mentioned that it seemed old-school but I'm enjoying the simplicity of it, the colorful cartoon graphics and the fun storyline. I also like that we can go back and replay a level in order to find the mouse we may have missed or to earn that coveted green check mark! Only disappointment I found was the timed bonus games -- no way a human being can find all those mice in that small amount of time. I'm just on chapter 3 now and so far I've only beaten the timer on two bonus rounds, both simple jigsaw puzzles. Anyway, lots and lots of fun and if the developers come out with a sequel as good as this one, I'll be standing in line. Happy gaming, fishies..........

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jan 4, 18 4:53 PM
I played one whole level and backed out umpty times until I could check that the original developer, Paprikari, was still involved. Apparently so but how much? I own two "real" Mortimer Becketts, this is a very pale derivative thereof. Slick, a bit fatuous and way chatty, though the bits-assembly is still there, and a flavor of the old challenges with the puzzles. But something is missing, must be the heart and soul gone into the older and better ones.

Kirland
Manatee
Manatee
3,699 Posts

[Post New]by Kirland on Jan 5, 18 2:44 AM
Had fun with this game. Finally finished. Liked the mouse in each level. Cute storyline. Welcomed the puzzles and levels with challenges.

The only hourglasses I could not get were the find the 25 mice. Just not enough time and moving around the screen that fast was making me dizzy.

Purchased the CE on the half price sale and with a game credit. I felt it was a great choice and will play Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold again.

Looking forward to more adventures with Mortimer.

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Jan 6, 18 8:55 AM
I have played all the other Mortimer games and in fact have replayed them a few times. This one is very different. Also, items you have to find are very "tiny" to say the least. A challenge for sure. Not sure about buying this as a Collector edition, I may wait for a while until the SE version is released.. Wonder if the people that produced the other Mortimer games did not produce this one. Try and perhaps it will be just what you want.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 6, 18 9:06 AM
one of the most boring games i have ever played!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,368 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jan 10, 18 12:23 PM
What a disappointment!!! I loved the first 3 MB games. I found them very challenging. This one is just ridiculous. Developers, please go back to the old format.

jtrigg
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by jtrigg on Jan 12, 18 3:13 PM
I was not impressed with this game. It did not measure up to the quality of the earlier games in the series, in terms of graphics quality mainly . I played 2 levels and deleted it

Austi
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by Austi on Jan 12, 18 3:18 PM
I to am very disappointed by this game. I am on the 3rd level. I am stuck on the curtains. I have used the remote on the curtains 3'xs. I click on the window with the shadows, nothing happens. There is a key in the upper left hand corner of what appears to be the inventory bar. I cannot find the key parts + when I click on the ? mark, again nothing happens. It remains grey. I have not had any of the diamonds or pink spots or timer that has been mentioned in the forum. I have uninstalled this game 4x's. I alwasys get stuck on the 3rd level. With not finding the key parts, a key code pad wherein I cannot find the code, a ? mark that does not work, a remote that does not do a thing when I click on it. Mortimer will say The curtains operate with the remote. But nothing works on this level. HELP. Thanks

[Post New]by bcarolyn39096 on Jan 19, 18 4:20 PM
I love all of the Mortimer Beckett games until now. I like the game a little, but its no Mortimer Beckett. I bought all of them but I won't be getting this one. The other games were perfect like they were and I've been waiting on a new one. Everything about this game is wrong.

Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by frayalex8236 on Jan 19, 18 6:42 PM
i'M ONLY ON LEVEL 3. hOW IN hEAVEN'S NAME ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FIND THE KEY ????????

[Post New]by beania1959 on Jan 21, 18 5:31 AM
this is the worse game i have bought, it is not worth a red penny, really disappointed

[Post New]by Mrs_Wylie on Jan 22, 18 11:38 AM
4mybirds4 wrote:I too have always loved all the Mortimer Beckett games (makes me want to go back and replay them). Although this one is quite different, I was really enjoying it and before I knew it the time was up. Being able to zoom into the screen and collect the mice was a bonus, but I think I will wait for a sale before purchasing.

I don't know how to zoom on a laptop with no mouse (no wheel, not a touch screen, so no "pinch and spread" capability. Can you help?

bfgArinelle
1,405 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 22, 18 3:08 PM
Hi Mrs_Wylie,

That's a great question! On laptops without a mouse, one way to zoom in and out is to hold the Ctrl key and then press either the - key or the +/= key up by Backspace. This can also often be done by holding Ctrl and then pressing either the Up arrow key or the Down arrow key. I haven't tested this out in the game itself, but hopefully it'll do the trick for us.

While I'm here, I just wanted to quickly remind that this thread is reserved for Reviews of Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition. For questions about levels in the game or to check for tips & tricks, the best course is to start a new thread using the "Create New Discussion" button on the main forum page for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition. Please keep the following guideline in mind when post in this thread:

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition.

Feel free to send over a PM if there are any more questions. I'll be happy to help however I can. Happy gaming, all!

bfgArinelle

Edited on 01/22/2018 at 3:12:59 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
571 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 29, 18 3:11 PM
I'm at level 33. Don't know why this was a CE as there is no guide are how to play puzzles. I do love the mouse it's cute.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
571 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 30, 18 1:01 PM
finished. Can't said it was that good, parts were funny, ended different.

[Post New]by chelle6277 on Feb 2, 18 5:02 PM
This is the only game that I regret buying. There is nothing worthy of it being a "Collector's Edition". There are no instructions, no extra story, nothing. I have played the other games in this series multiple times, and enjoy them very much. Wish I could return it

[Post New]by lostbuttrying on Feb 22, 18 4:18 PM
OMG!! This game is horrible! The graphics are horrible, I can't stand it. I actually bought it so I'll have to figure it out at some point But the graphics are so substandard. What happened?

Edited on 02/22/2018 at 4:21:50 PM PST

Go to: