Re:Your Comments and Review for Faded Reality

[Post New]by byrdsbytes on May 30, 10 10:22 AM
It is a fun and pretty game (especially if you're an 8 yr old). Yes, it is a bit too ez. Fun, but ez. Fun enough that if it had a nice length, it would be a buy, or at least a credit. As far as the wordage for certain items, I find that sort of thing to add challenge.
Good gaming out there for all

P.S. Where the "bleep" is Azada?

arrington1
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by arrington1 on May 30, 10 10:50 AM
It was different and I would like to play it, but when you need to use hints all the time to find objects it takes the fun out of it.

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on May 30, 10 11:03 AM
hannah57 wrote: I tried this game and I found it to be very boring. I thought, "this would be a great game for kids aged 5-8" At any rate I didn't like it and deleted it with 14 min of playtime left.

My take exactly, though I only played about nine minutes (it seemed longer ).

I don't think the following is a spoiler, but if you don't want to know anything specific do not read on: It simply was too easy--for a lot of it, you find a letter, use it to complete a very, very easy word, click on the item that matches the word and then whatever is revealed by that item's disappearance. You don't even have to check the list for those items; they're just there and you know to just click where the spelled object was. Can't comment on the story, as I only played until the first mini-game (the solitaire one).

I have Windows 7 and I didn't have any real technical errors, but I thought I did for a minute--it took a very long time to load the first game after you find all the objects in the first two areas (yard and room with cupboard). I clicked where it said click and nothing happened. I clicked again and nothing. I loaded my task manager, which may have been what shook it loose. Or it was just molasses-slow.

Good points: the hints refilled lightning fast (I didn't need any; I just tried one for to see how they worked), there is no timer, and that the graphics were not bad-looking, though cartoonish (which I don't mind). I think children would really enjoy it and learn as there is an emphasis on spelling. Not for me, though. I usually leave a little time on games I trial if I think I might buy them later, especially the ones I think are worth 2.99. This one, for me, is not even a buy as at $2.99.

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on May 30, 10 12:29 PM
Smallhaven wrote:Well, after a half hour of the demo - I'm so done with this game. If the developers don't understand the difference between a spoon and a golf club... I don't have the patience to go on.

This is an okay game but okay doesn't equal purchase for me.

That was amazing! I am undecided about the game. I enjoyed it, it is different, but I'm not sure I'll buy. I'd like to know how long it is and the autosave is a deal killer. I did think the story line was unique and enjoyed it.

tntbledsoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by tntbledsoe on May 30, 10 12:31 PM
I thought the mini-game where you have to light up the next scene was a neat one! I hated stacking the block shapes - waste of time. And we are seriously to believe that in the middle of the weirdness she would stop to play a card game? Nice try though, although I won't be buying this one.

[Post New]by dragonfairy5 on May 30, 10 12:32 PM
Signed up to get the discount but I think I signed up too late.

Probably should contact CS and ask about it.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on May 30, 10 1:34 PM
Love it!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 30, 10 1:48 PM
I started to snort..oh no, a junk pile gain but doggedly played. It got better as it went along. I did hive to laugh..what the heck is a "door ****"...it is a hinge. What is a spoon--a golf club. Seems that someone checked the english pretty well on the word games but forgot the hog section.
I kinda like it to the point of buying it with the discount today..otherwise it would be a dd or no way. I hope that SAVE issue gets fixed.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 30, 10 2:05 PM
I know BF can't help what games are available for release ,,but this is like the Mom Day sale ? Really crappy games ,..Better Luck Tomorrow ..

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on May 30, 10 2:08 PM
Lunarea: Very excellent review. You hit all the points of interest to the players and think I'll be watching for your posts. Thanks.

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 2:13:54 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 30, 10 2:12 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:what the heck is a "door ****"...it is a hinge. What is a spoon--a golf club. Seems that someone checked the english pretty well on the word games but forgot the hog section.
See LizzieK's spoiler. These words are unusual but valid. I can't say I knew them either.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on May 30, 10 2:12 PM
ya know?? For a junkpile ****..I think I really like this one! Usually I dont!

texasloony
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by texasloony on May 30, 10 2:40 PM
what memorial day sale is e1talking about?

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on May 30, 10 3:51 PM
I lasted less than 5 minutes!

I was unsure about the general idea of cornea donor but, hey, the "doctor" assured us that the donor was dead!!!!

Then the first scene was random items including (be brave out there!) capital letters scattered across the screen.

I'm sorry but this is truly awful. One of BFGs worst.

I am now going to lie down in a darkened room to recover - possibly with a large glass of red . That should do it!

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on May 30, 10 3:53 PM
Just because you don't know a word, don't assume the developers are idiots.

"Spoon" is well known amongst golfers as an old fashioned name for a specific club - as noted by two commenters above. Before you get in a huff, check a dictionary or the internet to see if perhaps there is something in this world you do not yet know. And learn something new. YAY!

And please read the other reviews and comments before you spout-off on something that has already been answered over and over again (game saving, word usage in this case).

And do not recommend people don't even bother demo-ing. As is clear from this thread, opinions very, as do likes and dislikes. If you don't like "find the differences" say "if you dislike 'find the differences' as much as I do, this game is probably not for you as I came across 4 in the half hour I played" not "This is a horrible game. What's up BFG?" The latter is totally useless to readers and contributes nothing to the conversation.

I always read the reviews for games I am thinking of buying or am at least on the fence about. But there are so many useless posts in the reviews forums, I spend about four times as long as I should trying to find out what others think. Have something to say about the game that will help others evaluate whether to buy or not? GREAT, pitch in. But just want to hear you own voice (or see your own words, I suppose) SHUT UP. No one else cares.

/end rant/

PS. I am an admin on another (non-game) site that prides itself on helpful, positive, friendly forums. BFG forums could be much more closely moderated without losing one iota of the community support feeling in the forums.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 30, 10 4:05 PM
Smallhaven wrote:This is an okay game but okay doesn't equal purchase for me.

I agree with Smallhaven. The game is okay but now I only want to buy games that are great like Dead Time stories and Puppet Show. Once I've tasted better fruits, the old straight HOGs just don't hold the same attraction.

I enjoyed the hour demo but even if it was 30 levels long, it would still be a no go for me.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on May 30, 10 4:10 PM
I found the game play quite unusual and not like the usual HOGs.
I liked it and bought it.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on May 30, 10 4:18 PM
When I give a general recommendation of don't bother with the demo that isn't me giving an order or command. It's me giving a review in executive summary format that tells you instantly whether the game is good or not in my opinion. My reviews almost always have "try before you buy" and some of the fish here joke about it because it's so ambiguous and almost inevitable on my part. When I say buy or don't bother it means you have a game on the extreme end of the spectrum and this is one of them. For me to give an extreme opinion one way or the other says a lot about a game.

With regards to language, this is a big issue with me. As you can probably tell, I'm a writer. When you are going to submit a game to a community it is a good idea to make sure the game is appropriate for the people you are selling to. It is obvious the designers of this game are not native US citizens. That's fine. There's no reason why non-Americans can't sell a game to people in the US. There is a reason why they should figure that using the word "spoon" to refer to a golf club might not fly too well in the US. If the target audience doesn't understand the language you can't blame the audience.

To use your example you mention that it's well known amongst golfers that a spoon is an old fashioned way of referring to a specific club. You yourself mentioned that it's old fashioned to golfers. To the masses of people who have never swung a golf club in their lives, it's pretty arrogant to say they should just know this obscure fact. When someone says the word spoon I expect an eating implement capable of transporting liquid to my mouth. The vast majority of people will say the same thing.

Also, the lack of an obvious game save is a significant issue. The developers should have done what the ones with Mushroom Age did where it specifically stated that you would have to start the level over again. This was very poorly implemented for Faded Reality.

I also take great offense at the idea of you telling me to shut up because I'm not a cheerleader for the game. My reviews are independent of BFG and are my own opinion. What is the point of posting reviews if they are always glowing? It's the reason why I can't stand movie reviewers who are shills for a motion picture company saying that Gigli is the greatest film ever when everyone else said it stunk. A review should be honest and sometimes the truth hurts.

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on May 30, 10 4:26 PM
Kayster

Quite a strength of feeling there. People say it how they feel: you just did that!

let's give everyone room.

cheers I'm still in that darkened room getting over the game! (see previous post")

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 30, 10 4:42 PM
Kayster wrote:
And please read the other reviews and comments before you spout-off on something that has already been answered over and over again (game saving, word usage in this case).

Kayster,
If everyone who plays the game doesn't like the game not saving aspect or the unusual language aspect then they should have the opportunity to post how they feel about that aspect as well as any other things they like or don't like about a game. Just because someone has already mentioned certain qualities of a game in a previous comment does mean that no one else can mention them. If it bugs everybody then everybody should say so. Then maybe the game developers would get the message. If only one person mentions it the developers may shrug it off and not try to improve their next game based on the players feedback.

A hundred voices saying the same thing has much more impact than one voice saying it and the other 99 silently nodding their heads.

Go to: