nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jan 5, 18 5:54 AM
Incidentally, since this game wasn't hitting it for me, I went back & took a quick look (I was wanting to apply the GC code) at earlier editions, & ended up getting the first in the series (Shattered Soul). I've only played the first chapter so far, but I'm enjoying it.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 5, 18 11:07 AM
pennmom36 wrote:I've been seeing changes in all of the games lately. and I've gotta believe it has something to do with the "survey" that bf had a while back, I'd be interested in taking my own survey:

How many of you prefer HOPA games to have more HOP's?

How many of you prefer HOPA games to have more Mini Games?

How many of you prefer an equal amount of HO's to MG's?

How many of you prefer more or less Collectibles & Morphs?

When I began playing games 8 years ago, it was for the hos, and I prefer them to puzzle/mini games. Yes, I think there should be more of them and that there should be more attention given to their production. Why categorize HOG, when current games are everything but? Everyone knows that many hos are like puzzles and challenging in themselves I don't know about any survey taken, but I think a big part of this is that developers have been tremendously pressured by advanced players to produce games with MORE challenge...always something new and different. It is very difficult to meet those demands and it is surely evident in many games coming out for too long a time. There are many of us who want to be able to play a game to relax and not be tortured with trying to figure out the complexities of puzzles. It is stressful and not restful...or enjoyable. I am more concerned with the quality and playability in games. Some puzzles are ok, as long as they are doable...but what is doable to me would be laughable to an advanced player. It would be convenient if there would just be a separate category for Advanced, puzzle/mini game, adventure players...who for the most part can't stand hos, anyway...and let those of us who prefer hos to have our category back.

As for collectibles and morphs, they are all a part of what makes a CE a CE, and I definitely think they should be included...and in variations and quantity....and the replay of hos and mini games should also be included in that package. It's part of what we are paying for....and for a great deal of players, it adds Extra enjoyment and game play.

Because we are supposed to be discussing this game, I will add that because the sale code worked for this yesterday I bought it. I thought the graphics and music to be beautiful and will continue to play it despite all of those puzzles I skip, anyway.

Edited on 01/05/2018 at 11:27:24 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 5, 18 12:12 PM
great answers everyone! @cabanaeast18: I've often wondered if devs read our posts and actually care about what we want or don't want in the games that "we the people" are shelling out the for! @nextgengranny: sound like you are okay with or without collectibles and morphs, but insist devs pay attention to the detail and above all else, give us quality graphics that go hand in hand with a quality story, anything else is just a bonus. @cathybobcat : I think what your saying is that HOPA games became popular back in the day because of the HOP's, and they should be true to their roots and continue to offer what made them popular in the first place, that if they want to "morph" they should do so with an entirely different genre geared towards puzzles. And perhaps have two categories within the same game, one with laid back stress free HOP's and Puzzles, the other "pull your hair out, scream at the computer, nail biting, intensity!

I personally think there should be a "skip" option available for the HOP's just like there are for the Mini Games. This is especially true when some of the HOP's offered are so predictable that I can literally click on all the right objects, without once looking at the list! I used to LOVE HOP's as well, but back in the day, the objects were hidden, they were blended into the scenery or other objects. Nowadays, they are like nextgengranny said, just thrown on top of a huge pile of junk, with no attempt made to hide them. I just finished playing The Legacy, and I love the Progressive Interactive HOP's they offer, because I actually have to think about what item to use where.

As for Labyrinths of the World, I really liked the story line, the graphics are well done and the Mini Games were doable and I enjoyed solving them. The HOP's were decent, but I think all devs need to re-evaluate this feature, and they need to put more effort into trying to breathe life back into what made them so appealing in the first place, just my opinion

You have all won a prize for your input (nextgen, I didn't forget you )

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 5, 18 4:52 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others, who do a much better job than I. Well, we have #7 in this series...yes, I have them all, but not all as a CE. As always with this developer, the graphics very nice, even with the blur you get going in and out of cut scenes. Wonder why it is so difficult to fix that. Colors are very bright and clear, but not over powering. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen very well. Animation is excellent when it comes to eye and mouth movements, but the body movement seems a bit stiff, and when a character is suppose to be trying to move a boulder, they just stand and speak to you. Voices are nicely done and are age and character appropriate. Don't know how they are with emotion, as we haven't run across any real emergencies just yet. At least they don't sound like someone is just reading from a script. You can click through the dialog if you read faster than they speak, without missing any of the story line or clues. Music is okay for background noise, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of sound FX, except for some far off birds. Seems like there should be more, so hopefully it picks up as the game progresses.

HOPs are varied and well done. We have interactive lists, and silhouettes do far. We do have a match 3 if you prefer that over the HOPs. Puzzles were mostly simple, even in the hard mode, but one did take me some time to complete. Didn't see anything different. Hint system is very helpful, but again I didn't see that we have a transport feature. This is okay, since we have my favorite map. When you ask for a hint, the map opens and you just go from there. Each location is clearly identified by picture and location name, and which location has something for you to do, without opening them all and making you guess where to go next. It also identifies where you may have missed a collectible.

Collectibles aren't bad either. We have to find 12 artifacts, which can be very small and easy to miss; 14 fact card that tell us about each character; and 63 gold nuggets that look more like a glob of sap in a tree. These nuggets allow us to buy items for our beach shack. The only challenge was finding everything. They are all easy to miss.

The very first scene screamed Jumanji, so I expected a lot of action. Not so in the demo. The original movie was excellent, but the update, not so much. So far, the story is slow, but from all the other games in this series, I expect this one to pick up shortly. The demo was so short that it was hard to really get a feel for the game, but there really isn't any challenge except to spot the collectibles. You know where this one is going and pretty much how it's going to end, but for some reason, I think I need to play it out. I will put this in my puddle and wait for a great sale, but I will add it to my CE collection. I think this one will appeal to most players, but probably more so to players who have never seen Jumanji. I gave this one a 4.25.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jan 5, 18 6:24 PM
pennmom, thanks for saving me a ...sun's over the yardarm now.

To clarify what I meant, re graphics: I dislike it when the quality of the graphics declines significantly in the HO scenes.

As I indicated toward the end of my post, what matters to me most is a good balance of all aspects of HOPA - Hidden Object, Puzzle, Adventure. Also, I enjoy collectibles & morphs, so long as I don't find aspects of actual gameplay to be lacking. An abundance of collectibles, for example, is no substitute, for me, for a variety of well-done HOPs & mini-games, & creativity in the adventure aspect.

I mentioned that I ended up purchasing Shattered Souls, the first game in this series. I've now played through the fourth chapter of five in the main, & I have to say that in my opinion, it's a much better game than this one in all respects. What has perhaps impressed me the most, though, is the creativity shown by the devs in creating the four "realms" we visit in the game. It's also a good length, as I believe my playtime for the main will end up being between five & six hours.

I know I've mentioned before that if I enjoy a demo of a game enough, & feel reasonably confident that I'll enjoy the remainder of the game as much or more, I'll purchase the CE , because I do enjoy the added extras, such as morphs & collectibles. However, to pay the CE price, the gameplay, sans collectibles, has to be worth it to me. Collectibles serve as icing on the cake for a good game, but if I don't enjoy the cake itself enough, I'm not going to pay more for it just because it has a lot of icing.

And now...a delightful cocktail. Cheers!

napapen
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by napapen on Jan 5, 18 6:41 PM
so far I love the game. The art is especially good.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Jan 5, 18 8:41 PM
I just finished the game and bonus. It's a good game. I Love hops and some puzzles are ok. This maker always has more puzzles but I like the stories so buy from them. Some of the hops were more puzzle like. The music is on and off and I don't think that's good. I can't usually take the same music for hours and I just shut it off. But I think it should be there in case I want it on or any other player wants it.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 5, 18 10:02 PM
I am into Chapter 5 and am so sorry I bought this game. All you are doing is collecting inventory that requires multiple parts and traveling back and forth. I feel this game lacks in continuity and what began with beautiful graphics in the demo changed entirely. It is a complete bore. It is disjointed....feeding animals and having to find flute parts to tame a snake? Really? Some of the tasks are ridiculous. Music does not play all the time. It is a good thing there is an indicator for collectibles because they are difficult to find. I didn't think much of them at all, and they aren't in every scene. It does indicate where the collectibles are at the end of the strategy guide in case you miss some. So... you get to decorate an ocean view room with gold coins you find, but that gets old fast and there aren't many things you can get. As far as puzzles go, you are going to encounter them at every turn. The hos themselves were more like puzzles than hos. I wouldn't want to replay any of them or this game for anything.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Jan 5, 18 10:35 PM
MoreOver wrote:This would have been right up my alley. Love dragons and fantasy games. BUT ... one reviewer stated that there are twice as many puzzles as there are HOS. I happen to like HO games, not puzzle games. So this looks like a pass for me.

Are any developers planning on bringing back hidden object games? I know this is saving me quite a ton of money but I need something to do and this isn't working for me.

This maker always has a lot of puzzles. All the other game makers better have hops or I won't be buying any more either.

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Jan 6, 18 3:43 PM
One of the most (if not the most) enjoyable and informative forums I've read!

hidnseekr
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by hidnseekr on Jan 6, 18 7:07 PM
pennmom36
I prefer more games than hos. I search for hog's cause that's what they're all called. Years ago I loved the hidden objects but as time went on I got tired of searching for things but wanted to actually find my way out of things like with tools etc. But that has even gotten boring. Like for codes they give you a piece of paper to put on safe etc . Some actually just punch the numbers in for you. The old games, I kept a notebook in front of me to figure out my own clues and codes. Don't know why they dumbed it down. I play mostly on casual so I am not looking for difficult things but sometimes it seem a little ridiculously easy and then the next puzzle is impossible lol.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 7, 18 12:35 PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas and thoughts about what you like to see in games! We definitely want our players to chat about their shared interests and things they like about games. I just want to quickly remind everyone of the guidelines for posting in this thread, specifically:

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition.

Sharing thoughts and opinions about games in general or about aspects of this game beyond the scope of a review may best be done in a separate thread. This helps keep the Reviews thread organized so players looking specifically for reviews can track them down more easily. Thank you, everyone, for your understanding and for your help in keeping the forums easily accessible to our users!

bfgArinelle

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jan 22, 18 1:14 AM
I normally really like this series, but this one left me flat. The story was ok, but it just got buried under the weight of relentless inventory items that I constantly had to replace. I think that by the end of the game I needed about 7 knives, 10 crowbars, a handful of cauldrons, and a vast number of assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, chisels and hammers. This is just ridiculous and really takes a lot of fun of the game away for me. Hopefully they change their tune for the next installment.

[Post New]by sugarcitygirl on Jan 28, 18 10:36 PM
I really appreciate all the honest reviews to these games. Personally, I love lots of mini games (the harder the better), so as soon as I see reviews where people are complaining of too many, I almost instantly buy that game. So, this will be a buy for me.

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Feb 2, 18 8:39 AM
Awesome graphic and story. Liked almost everything. I understand, some fishies are fine with no music. For me, I want music for mood, flow and continuity of the game. It's like part of the game is flat without it. I wish developers would give us the option of music throughout the game.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by yowzasma on Feb 9, 18 8:29 PM
As I frequently do, I agree with the well written positive reviews done by my fellow Fishies . I enjoyed playing this game quite a bit and the only complaint I have is not enough Hog scenes and for me, just a tad too many Mini games. In my 'golden years' I have gotten to the point of "skipping" them when they are taking too long or when object of the mini is not explained but that is okay with me
The story-line, graphics,colors hidden object silhouettes were just fine and the music was un-intrusive.
I did bump into a minor glitch in one of the mini's where we have to guess which "shell" hid the object and could not complete it so I skipped it and for the next 5 minutes the clink -clink-clink kept clinking like on a loop. I backed out and closed the GM and when I went back all was well.
All in all I now have 5 Labyrinths of the World: and I keep enjoying them even though they have soooooo many Mini's

I'm giving this one a & 1/2 out of a potential 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale.

Played on desktop PC running Windows 10 with just a few minor glitches

Edited on 02/09/2018 at 8:34:14 PM PST

Go to: