bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 8, 18 12:22 PM
Hello whimzzee and LadyAurora,

I'm sorry to hear about the display troubles and the access violation error coming up. We can certainly go over some troubleshooting steps to see if they help out.

For the troubles in full-screen mode, it may be that the game works best at a particular resolution. Experimenting with the resolutions available for your system may locate the resolution that helps the game appear best on the screen. Steps for this can be found here, if you haven't given this a try yet:

Screen Resolution

In your case, LadyAurora, it sounds like you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps we can offer for access violation errors. In case it helps, here's a link to our help article to see if there are any steps that have not yet been tried:

Access Violation

In cases where troubleshooting does not resolve an issue, we request that our players send a message to our Technical Support Team so they can offer further help. Our Moderators are also available to answer remaining questions, so please feel free to PM us.

bfgArinelle

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by juttawalker on Jan 9, 18 8:35 AM
Played the game just fine,till i start the bonus chapter,and got the access violation playing on w 10

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 9, 18 11:31 AM
Hi juttawalker,

Getting an access violation at the very end of a game would definitely be frustrating! It's possible there's a particular file that needs some extra permissions to work correctly, so we can try running the game as an Administrator. We can also check for software updates, since access violation errors can often be related to troubles with the game communicating with the current software versions on the computer. Steps for these possibilities can be found here:

Run Game as Administrator
Access Violation

If the issue persists after giving that a try, please send a message to our Technical Support Team for further help. Our Moderator team is also available by PM to answer any remaining questions or concerns. We'll be happy to assist to the best of our ability.

bfgArinelle

[Post New]by mamalucy01 on Jan 10, 18 12:08 AM
I am having the same problem. Game opens and then closes with error code. Have tried all the suggestions. Will there be a fix for this soon?

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by daggy_k on Jan 10, 18 1:45 AM
Another game by DeepShadows with a 'squished' look on my iMac 27''. Meaning height is full, width is much less.
This problem wasn't in the first few games by this dev, but afterwards is with all of them, through several OS Xs.
Repeated writing in the forum (by others, too) didn't change anything. Since over 2 1/2 years ...
A pity, because I like this dev's games. But because of this fault, I'm not buying any of them.

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by zerolimits2 on Jan 11, 18 2:40 PM
I am having a problem with this game. Starts to play then....
Error: Access Violation 0xD05B301A. Program terminated.
Program reported to microsoft. Help. Or a refund.

Edited on 01/11/2018 at 2:42:05 PM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jan 12, 18 5:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm swimming by to offer some troubleshooting guidance. Thank you so much for your patience.

zerolimits2 and mamalucy01: It sounds like different errors have occurred, causing the game to terminate. First I'd recommend checking to see whether the computer's video card driver is up to date. This driver is responsible for directing how graphics are displayed, and its developers regularly release new versions to ensure that the game continues running smoothly.

Please see the following help page more further instructions:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

It would also be a good idea to run this game with administrator permissions. This will ensure the game can access all of the resources it needs. I've included a help page with those instructions below as well:

daggy_k: To improve the game's appearance, I'd recommend adjusting the screen resolution. Please see the help page below for further instruction:

Screen Resolution

If these suggestions don't work, please contact our Technical Support Team. They'll be able to provide further assistance. Should new questions arise, you're always welcome to PM me or another moderator, too. We're here to help.

bfgBeruna

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by daggy_k on Jan 14, 18 12:22 AM
bfgBeruna wrote:Hello Everyone,
daggy_k: To improve the game's appearance, I'd recommend adjusting the screen resolution. Please see the help page below for further instruction:

<a href="https://bigfishgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/230290028">Screen Resolution</a>

If these suggestions don't work, please contact our <a href="https://bigfishgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000093788">Technical Support Team</a>. They'll be able to provide further assistance. Should new questions arise, you're always welcome to PM me or another moderator, too. We're here to help.

bfgBeruna

I know how to change my screen resolution. But adjusting my general settings brings only an unsatisfying result.
And it isn't the solution to a basic fault in those games.
I've provided a full Dr. Felix report to the tech support long ago already and they only offered me a refund.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 14, 18 2:27 PM
Hi daggy_k,

I apologize if the tips to adjust screen resolution didn't resolve the issue. Our Technical Support Team may not have additional troubleshooting tips to offer, but they can help us by collecting information helpful for passing along reports of issues our players experience. Thank you for taking the time to contact them and providing that Dr. Felix report. Those can greatly help when compiling reports.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. You can also reply directly to the most recent email from our Tech Support team with remaining concerns. Our teams will do everything we can to assist.

bfgArinelle

[Post New]by 1963jennag on Jan 15, 18 5:47 PM
I am having the same issues as just about everyone else. I have done all of the suggested fixes and none of them have worked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and now I cant get the game to open at all. I really was looking forward to this game as it appeared to be different form all the other HOP games I have purchased. Really really frustrated at this point.

lkbambi
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by lkbambi on Jan 15, 18 6:06 PM
I also played the game with no problem until the bonus game. Can't get the eye key to work. Please fix the problem.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 16, 18 11:43 AM
Hi 1963jennag and lkbambi,

I'm sorry to hear that the previous troubleshooting steps have not resolve the experienced issues. If running the game as an Administrator, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and checking for video card driver updates have not improved the game's performance, please send a message to our Technical Support Team so they can further assist.

As always, you're welcome to PM one of our Moderators with remaining concerns. We'll provide any answers that we can.

bfgArinelle

[Post New]by zerolimits2 on Jan 16, 18 11:59 PM
Have tried everything you have suggested and now game wont even open. Want a credit or refund

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 18, 18 11:20 AM
Hello zerolimits2,

I'm sorry to hear the troubleshooting tips didn't resolve the issue. Please send a message to our Technical Support Team for a replacement game or to request refunds. We do not have the tools for such requests here on the forums. Our Moderators are happy to answer any other questions, though, so please feel free to PM us any time.

bfgArinelle

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jan 19, 18 2:43 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I've restarted this game 4 times now. At first it just played funny, but now I got the access violation notice and the game automatically stopped.

I can't be bothered - it's just frustrating to spend money on something that doesn't work and I buy a lot of games,

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jan 19, 18 4:24 PM
Hello jillaroogirl,

I can absolutely understand not wanting to restart a game over and over. As bfgArinelle said, our Technical Support Team will happily replace the game or refund it. They'll handle the process as quickly as possible, but we also respect not wanting to bother with reaching out. I'm sincerely sorry this game doesn't work, and I thank you for your patience.

bfgBeruna

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 19, 18 6:11 PM
I got all the way through the main game, no problem, I am now on the bonus chapter and the eye key will not work for the room I need to open. I put the key up to the key hole and the game tells me that can't be used here. I am using Windows 10

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 21, 18 2:38 PM
Hi 4194dave,

It sounds like there's been trouble using a key in the bonus chapter. That could definitely be frustrating to run into, so hopefully we can get things working better with some troubleshooting. For progression issues, the first things we usually try are running the game as an Administrator and checking for any available video card driver updates. Progression issues can be the result of the game missing a permission or having trouble displaying items or with the function of those items. Steps to try to correct those possible issues can be found here:

Video Driver Updates

Progression troubles can also be the result of something going wrong with the save file for the current profile. In those situations, starting a new profile can help get around the issue. That's definitely not an ideal solution, and I understand if it's not something that sounds appealing. Should troubleshooting not work, please send a message to our Technical Support Team. Our Moderators are also available by PM to answer any questions we can. We're always happy to help.

bfgArinelle

[Post New]by BarbZH on Jan 21, 18 6:14 PM
Game worked fine for about 20 minutes then lost the full screen setting and blew up in size. Cannot get to the edges of things for proper game play. Restarted computer, etc, no luck. Can only play in an ugly window. Mac running Sierra.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 22, 18 5:27 PM
Hi BarbZH,

It sounds like the game is coming up too large for the screen when in full-screen mode. When this sort of thing happens on a Mac system, we can start off by adjusting the screen resolution to see if that gets things looking better. Steps for this can be found here:

Screen Resolution

It can also help to reinstall Adobe Flash and Shockwave since these two programs have an influence over how games appear on Mac systems. Details on this subject are located in the following article:

Mac Game Troubleshooting

If none of the above fixes the issue, please send a message to our Technical Support Team. You can also always PM me or another Moderator with questions. We'll be happy to provide any answers we can.

bfgArinelle

Go to: