aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jun 1, 10 8:48 AM
I love the artwork in this game. Visually, it is stunning!

Finally, by accident, discovered that if I held the left mouse button down and swung my arm to the left or the right that suddenly I was in motion. The same principle applies for up and down.

That being said, I am not good enough at this type of game, at this moment, to purchase it without some more practice. However, it has a great deal of potential for me. A year ago I would just have thrown up my hands in despair and quit cold. Now, I am provisionally quitting, but with hope.

Hope this helps! (Hope seems to be the key word here)

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 1, 10 8:51 AM
phatkhat wrote:There are hints for London Scene and Lapland to Madagascar episodes at the Universal Hint place. Google for it or PM me for the link.

I prefer 1st person adventures like this, but found London Scene kind of uninteresting. I will try this one and see if I like it better.

I saw in another thread where krissywillow also mentioned this has that first-person POV which I do not usually like at all,however I didn't mind it in Nancy Drew Dossier;Lights,Camera,Curses.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 1, 10 9:27 AM
Way back I tried the demo for the 1st Agon. Was not thrilled by it.
This one defeated me and I'm uninstalling the game before 30 minutes (2nd day in a row ).

I was already familiar with the other Agon´s interface, so I had no trouble moving around, meeting the sleeping drunk station guy, going through his stuff etc...

When I arrived to the telegraph and saw the length of the tape and saw the info of the Morse code had not been saved in my inventory I sighed and went back to the book again and ...got a notebook and copied the d*** code in it. Then back to the tape and tried to read the dots and translate them. As if this was not bad enough you can not type the letters, you have to click on them which, added to the spelling translation, made it very annoying, slow and boring for me (after all, I am spending some free time on the demo to unwind, not trying to prolong my working hours).
I accidentally left the tape scene and was back at the telegraph general view... and since the game does not even save the progress I had so far, I should be starting all over again, form scartch?! No wonder the station guy decided on getting drunk rather than reading the telegram!

Despite the graphs and animations are nicely done (although I'm not a big fan of 360º) this sole episode is enough as to prevent me from further frustrations.

I hope more patient Fishies (and those with a natural knowledge of Morse ) will enjoy the game as it looked interesting enough. But definitively not for me (at least not at this point of my life).
Happy gaming to all.

dabadgy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by dabadgy on Jun 1, 10 9:57 AM
Hannah, that's the problem. I can't get away from the water tower. No matter where I place my mouse pointer it doesn't change to the larger arrow and I can't go anywhere away from that scene.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 1, 10 10:12 AM
Happy for those who LOVE LF games.

Happy Gaming

PEN

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 1, 10 10:31 AM
dabadgy wrote:Hannah, that's the problem. I can't get away from the water tower. No matter where I place my mouse pointer it doesn't change to the larger arrow and I can't go anywhere away from that scene.

dabdgy, maybe you've tried this already?
Go to the station, turn around to the door, knock once (Prof. Hunt will say it is very dark or something like that, but that someone should be inside), then try the door again and it should open.
Hope that helps,

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jun 1, 10 10:35 AM
Need more direction. Can't get the Morse Code going on. Found a weird looking key, tried this key in the back door, no luck. No idea what the rock and paper is in my inventory. I seen two valves, one on the tower and other on the side of the railroad house. Read all papers, wall maps, blue prints, books, even tried to wake up the guy in the bed who is drunk. Got the stove burning (only thing I got accomplished). Looked at the plates.
Game got me frustrated because I wanted to leave the train station but I'm totally clueless. I see the street signs but can't leave. Not even a hint button. Had to escape by exiting the game. Pity, I loved the graphics and was hoping this would be a buy for me. Just ran out of patience I guess.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Jun 1, 10 10:52 AM
Maneuvering the cursor is tricky - and I don't care for the 360 thing anyway. This game reminds me somewhat of MYST, which I was unable to make myself finish. So no-buy for me.

Kira5
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Kira5 on Jun 1, 10 11:03 AM
For those who have problems moving around,hold the left mouse button down while moving the mouse to the sides up and down. The curser won't change.

I bought the first part, but was very disapointed as it was very short. If anyone know how long this game is please reply. Thanks.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jun 1, 10 11:09 AM
Not a buy for me. The navigating around holding the mouse is not my kind of fun. A very positive thing about this game is when i decided to quit the game it did not ask me once or twice if ''I really wanted to quit" So, I imagine this is a game for 'quick thinkers only' ... ah ah ah...

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jun 1, 10 11:56 AM
Sounds like something I might consider the trial of one day when I'm bored out of my skull...or don't have lots of other things I want to do 'first'

So glad for this though for folks who really like this kind of game as there doesn't seem to be a ton of these games around!

auda
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by auda on Jun 1, 10 12:09 PM
dabadgy wrote:Hannah, that's the problem. I can't get away from the water tower. No matter where I place my mouse pointer it doesn't change to the larger arrow and I can't go anywhere away from that scene.

You have to look down. There's a handle on one side, and the ladder on the other side.

Edited on 06/01/2010 at 12:11:30 PM PST

mommy3mic
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mommy3mic on Jun 1, 10 12:52 PM
MsNona1126 wrote:Need more direction. Can't get the Morse Code going on. Found a weird looking key, tried this key in the back door, no luck. No idea what the rock and paper is in my inventory. I seen two valves, one on the tower and other on the side of the railroad house. Read all papers, wall maps, blue prints, books, even tried to wake up the guy in the bed who is drunk. Got the stove burning (only thing I got accomplished). Looked at the plates.
Game got me frustrated because I wanted to leave the train station but I'm totally clueless. I see the street signs but can't leave. Not even a hint button. Had to escape by exiting the game. Pity, I loved the graphics and was hoping this would be a buy for me. Just ran out of patience I guess.

Above the drunk guy is a shelf with books on it, one of them has the morse code in it. Then you type in the message by hitting the keys on the typewriter. The key is to a chest that is under the window by the desk. Hope this helps! I am stuck too

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 1, 10 6:21 PM
Even with a walkthrough, this is quite the game. Thank God I have one though because if not,I'd be lost in the forest forever, LOL Happy Gaming Lil Fishies.

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Jun 2, 10 4:59 AM
I had the first two...That's all of Agon I could handle....Tried this one forget it..there's a sound puzzle if a remember right that was a total pain!...This one was A real bear to play for me anyway.

kopikat65
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by kopikat65 on Jun 2, 10 6:05 AM
I love games like this, the graphics are great. However, this game is aggravating to me and so I will not be able to play it. Too bad for me, cause like I said, I love these type of games.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jun 2, 10 10:53 AM
To mommy3mic

Above the drunk guy is a shelf with books on it, one of them has the morse code in it. Then you type in the message by hitting the keys on the typewriter. The key is to a chest that is under the window by the desk. Hope this helps! I am stuck too

Thanks for your help..!!!

[Post New]by cianistarle on Jun 2, 10 1:37 PM
Wow, this game looks really good. Desperately trying to get the full version to load on my comp. The trial worked, but, woah! the full version is huge! wish they would have given me more info than " we will need to load more files after you buy it".
Anyway, looking so forward to playing it. Best game they have had in a while!
oh, and my arrow keys dont work, just the mouse. anyone else?

[Post New]by Starbright64 on Jun 2, 10 6:06 PM
This game feels impossible to me. Glad I didn't buy it.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 3, 10 5:01 PM
For those who need a walkthru: there are multiple of them, just search for The Mysterious Codex - the trylogy with the first 3 AGON episodes. Adventures in Lapland and Pirates of Madagascar are parts 2 and 3.

Go to: