Re:Your Comments and Review for AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

[Post New]by jbsmooch on Jun 2, 10 6:28 AM
While I enjoyed the start of the game (once I found a walkthrough), I'm now in the jungle with lemur and am not impressed. Anyone with a slight hearing deficiency, such as myself, can go no further. If the intent of the developers was to create a game that would frustrate game players to the point they would no longer purchase any in this series, they have succeeded..at least for me. Unless someone can send me a saved game from when Prof Hunt reaches the clearing, I'm done with this one. And would actually like my $$$ back.

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Jun 2, 10 7:47 AM
Loved both Syberia games, enjoy Nancy Drew games - thought I was okay at this type game but could not figure this one out!

After reading pages of background info, got to the depot at Lapland and that was a little odd as you start the game at Chapter V (??). Just turned around in circles with no idea where to go/what to do. Rang the bell - nothing. Checked the water tower - nothing. Saw the guy through the window - nothing. Found the walkthrough noted in another message and decided that if I needed it that much, this was NOT the game for me. I agree with another writer - no hints = no purchase for me.

I'll just go back and finish the new Puppet Show game.

Really had high hopes for this one but it's a "no go....."

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Jun 2, 10 3:33 PM
is this some kind of joke?

Load the game, 8 minutes of talking/intros etc. I'm presented with letters/postcards, that if I click on, I can't get back out of, so, reload the game, (I must really like pain!) and go through the whole bs again, only to find out, there is nothing else to do. I quit the game (had to crash it the first time!) and it says the adventure is just "beginning?" NOT! DELETE!

this had to be the most colossal waste of time and bandwidth I've had in a while. I mean, just plain ridiculous! (not to mention boring). (shaking head - going to cancel membership AGAIN!)

not only yesterday did a game I buy ended within 10 minutes (yep, that really gets to me), now this crap? nah. gonna start looking elsewhere I think.

Come ON big fish, you can do a LOT better than that!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jun 2, 10 4:05 PM
It took almost 10 minutes of my demo time to get to the actual game. The game played for less than one minute, and it was back to cut scenes and letters and garbage. I usually like these types of games (Syberia, Dracula, etc) but this game was just awful. When it finally let me play all it would let me do was walk back and forth on the platform of the station; look up and down one time at each end then nothing, couldn't go into the station, no one to talk to YUCK for me.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Jun 2, 10 5:16 PM
I loved this demo! This is a REAL adventure game, not just a dressed up HOG with some puzzles and story thrown in. The method here is more like that in the older expensive games--Myst, etc.--where you have to put yourself into the character and think, "Now what do I do in this situation?" For example, don't stay on the platform waiting for somebody to rescue you; walk around the building, look at everything, try everything. It's really pretty easy to get inside.

The graphics and the feel of the game reminded me a lot of Syberia, which is my favorite game, so that's part of why I liked this so well. The movement is pretty standard for this type of 360* game, except in the better ones you are given a setup option to reverse the direction of the mouse navigation, which I usually do. The way this one works, you have to picture that you are turning the room around you: if you want to see something to your left, you need to pull the room to the right to bring it into your view. Similarly for up and down.

I actually liked all the letters to read at the beginning, which brought me up to speed on the original quest. That is also part of the real adventure game experience--taking your time to really explore and be immersed in the situation. Adventure games are much more like marathons than sprints, not just a bunch of puzzles to solve, but a life to be lived and enjoyed (or frustrated) along the way. More about the journey than the result. So I made myself slow down and read everything, in spite of it using up a chunk of my demo hour. I think this type of game actually lends itself to the "limited episodes" kind of demo better than the strict one-hour demo.

I was all set to grab this game up, but wanted to find out about the earlier game first, so I stopped here to see if anybody knew about that one. I'm really disappointed to hear how short the first one was, so now I don't know if I want to spend a credit on this one or not. Sounds like it was really one, nice, large-file game which they decided to chop up into bits to make more money. I kind of understand that, as a big first-person adventure game like that would sell for much more than $6.99 ordinarily, but I would much rather have it all together in a unified story. Seems like selling the great American novel a few chapters at a time!

Well, I'm really undecided now. But I very much appreciate the offer of this type of game. Thanks, BFG!

[Post New]by Lady_Destiny on Jun 2, 10 5:40 PM
I actually like games like this so I downloaded the demo and played the full hour. It was definitely a most disappointing hour out of my life. I spent probably the first quarter to half hour just reading all the material at the beginning so I had a clue what I would be doing. Once you get through reading all of the material on the first screen there is NO clue to tell you what to do next. After spending about 5 minutes more finally figuring that out...you end up in a bunch of dreary cut scenes. The graphics are awful in my opinion. My Logitech trackball mouse had definite problems with the 360 navigation. For some reason, I could only turn to the left and after spending an hour spinning my self in circles, I was quite nauseous. And after an hour's worth of play, I had accomplished nothing. Needless to say, I won't be spending money on this game.

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Jun 2, 10 6:43 PM
Sorry, no go for me on this one!

kerchers
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by kerchers on Jun 3, 10 4:12 AM
Its a no go for me,tried every thing but eventually gave up on demo.I also tried it on easy and still no luck.There were no hints to get you started.This is one game I shall not be buying.Never finished the demo,got bored.By the looks of it I was not alone

Edited on 06/03/2010 at 4:13:55 AM PST

[Post New]by MeganMontgomery on Jun 3, 10 7:54 AM
I'm a little over an hour into the game and so far I'm enjoying it. I love adventure games that really make you think and this is one of those. The puzzles seem more difficult than they really are as there are clues strategically placed where the player can find them if only they take the time to look.

Navigation could be better but once I got the hang of how it's set up it became like second nature and no problem at all. It did take a few minutes to realize that in order to back out of a close up the mouse pointer had to be at the bottom of the screen in a small area where an arrow will appear that allows it.

The only thing that miffs me is that this is only a 2nd part installment to an entire game, not the entire game itself. If a person purchased all 14 installments once they're all available, it would cost a total of $97.86. That's far too much for an adventure game. I won't be buying any more of the AGON games because of that and will just enjoy this one until I'm done with it.

libbibet
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by libbibet on Jun 3, 10 9:27 PM
I find this to be too boring for me..waste of money.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Jun 3, 10 9:46 PM
.I've just finished the first location, and so far it's not a bad game but it's confusing at times. The graphics are good, and this game also allows a few more options, like a variety of display settings and the ability to mute the voices, which I found out was not a good idea because comments by the characters are an indication that you're on the right track. Something I liked about the game is that there isn't much redundant dialogue between charactors.

A couple of sequences were difficult to figure out, and I confess that I went searching for some help on the web. One in particular concerns turning separate valves in 3 different locations in the right sequence and a specified number of times before you can advance.

There were a few things that I think could be improved upon. FIrst, there aren't any hints if you get stuck - you're pretty much on your own.
Second, there is no journal to record clues that you pick up along the way which means that you either have to write your own journal with no clear indiciation as to which are clues and which aren't, or you have to be constantly going back and forth to retrieve them (if you can remember where they were in the first place). The arrows guiding you along the way could have been larger. There is no map of the locations and it's easy to get lost.

And pack your Gravol - the 360 rotation can make one a bit dizzy if it's too fast (you can also adjust the rate of rotation in the options.

shervy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by shervy on Jun 3, 10 11:30 PM
Have to agree 'os,
very boring storyline and to much reading for me . graphics are good and scenes are fine, its not to dark or light . If you get motion sickness this is not a game for you . But if your into long scenes in between play then this will suit .

cheers

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 4, 10 6:42 AM
INGamePlayer wrote:... Sounds like it was really one, nice, large-file game which they decided to chop up into bits to make more money...

The other way round... This is a classic adventure. The frist three parts of AGON were published several years ago, one-by-one, available by downloading (not very common thing in those days...) Later they were published in a box as a trilogy.
The 4th part is a long game in itself, The Lost Sword of Toledo.

INGamePlayer, the story of the first part (The London Scene) is introduced at the beginning of this game so you may decide if you want to have it just because of the look-and-feel. There is no board game in that one though. All other Agon episodes end with a board-game, Lapland and Madagascar too.

Edited on 06/04/2010 at 7:22:19 AM PST

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 4, 10 6:58 AM
MeganMontgomery wrote: The only thing that miffs me is that this is only a 2nd part installment to an entire game, not the entire game itself. If a person purchased all 14 installments once they're all available, it would cost a total of $97.86. That's far too much for an adventure game.

This is the second and third parts. And only the fourth part has been published so far. There is news about the fifth beind in development. Agon 4 and 5 are (or will be) individaual large-file adventures, with long-long playing time and lots of puzzles. Of course, a full game will cost the price of a full game and 10 full games will not be available for the price of one, I guess.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 4, 10 7:11 AM
CiCiRR wrote:.
There were a few things that I think could be improved upon. FIrst, there aren't any hints if you get stuck - you're pretty much on your own.
Second, there is no journal to record clues that you pick up along the way which means that you either have to write your own journal with no clear indiciation as to which are clues and which aren't, or you have to be constantly going back and forth to retrieve them (if you can remember where they were in the first place).

The clue for playing AGON games - just like many other large-file adventure games - is simple: just think what you were to do in real life. And yes, making notes on a piece of paper may be very useful indeed. Why not?

True, there are no in-game tutorial or direct hints in these adventure games. Neither do you have them in real life... unfortunately.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 4, 10 7:35 AM
jbsmooch wrote: I'm now in the jungle with lemur and am not impressed. Anyone with a slight hearing deficiency, such as myself, can go no further.

Lemur puzzle: if you find it difficult try using a headset. That helps a lot.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 4, 10 8:40 AM
stepped off the train and right away wanted to spew... OMG, first person is so not for me... i was wondering how to get around and whoa! the screen went everywhere! vertigo city is a subtitle they should use with games like this...

good luck getting to madagascar!

waguhs123
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by waguhs123 on Jun 4, 10 2:07 PM
After playing this game for 14 minutes, I quit. I should've listened to what everyone was saying in their comments. BORING!

[Post New]by FragmentFour on Jun 4, 10 11:18 PM
Good puzzles in this game -they require attention to detail, copious notes, and lots of reasoning.

Absolutely rotten navigation in this game - it requires some sort of reverse-action maneuvering I didn't figure out and don't intend to try more. Forward was easy enough, turning usually involved a full 360 circle, and reverse was... Nope, didn't like the movement and camera connection - or disconnection - with the keyboard and mouse.

Good story - kudos to that crew. The rest of it... pffftttt.

Lisee213
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Lisee213 on Jun 6, 10 4:42 AM
I found the navigation in this game to be terrible.

No offence to the game developers, but once you've played things like the new Nancy Drew games on expert mode, games like this are irritating.

I got irritated mainly with trying to solve the morse code puzzle. I don't know morse code, nor could I see anything in the game that might have a chart for what the symbols mean. So either the developers are assuming everyone knows morse code, or that you'll have to go outside the game for help solving this. Not cool.

At least with the Nancy Drew series (and other similar excellent games), they give you all the tools and knowledge you would need to complete the game, you just have to look for it.

Also very disappointed that this is one of 14 chapters?!?!?! Sorry, not interested in playing a game by parts. I like sequels, but not a game split into chapters. Seems like a really nasty backhanded way to make extra money to me. Reminds me a little of Stephen Kings idea to release The Green Mile in 6 parts a few years ago. He also got a very negative public backlash as a consequence.

The graphics are nice, but not outstanding.

The gameplay was ok, but not good enough to keep me interested.

Sorry but this one gets a big thumbs down from me.

Go to: