Re:Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases - The Lighthouse Mystery

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Jun 3, 10 4:00 PM
I have to say that i am of two minds about this game: I find the puzzles excellent and, in general, innovative. I find the items very very small some of the time and the graphics for those small items are soooooo grainy that I wouldn't have known what the item was even knowing I had to pick it up.

This is a shame because it is unusual for a series of puzzles to spark my interest like this - through the whole hour.

Shame because my eyes started hurting.

I can see it being a buy for younger eyes, though.

Cuddles

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Jun 3, 10 4:05 PM
Well, I think I am sold....thanks to the many comments on the game and the size of the walkthrough (always skim the walkthrough if you're interested in a game that isn't over in 2 hours - I've made it about halfway with the two hours of demos).

This is exactly the kind of game I'm coming to appreciate. Simple HOGs are just not enough, I like a storyline and having to locate objects to interact with in other scenes. I do wish game designers would keep in mind that the fun is lost when the scene is too dark and the item too small. We don't all of us have 20 year old eyes, and the eyestrain gets bad sometimes. I love challenge, but having to click blindly in hopes of a score is not fun. Escape the Museum comes to mind here - fun game, but ripe with 'needles in haystacks'.

Anyway, I hope to encourage BFG to continue putting out this style of game, so I'm using my credit for this one.

Thanks, fishies, for all the feedback!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 3, 10 6:43 PM
I went back and read my reviews of the CE version and apparently I did enjoy the CE version. However, I really couldn't stand the regular version. Maybe it was because the regular version started me off where I had left off on the CE version and I wasn't sure of what I was doing or the background. Maybe it is that I was further into the game this time and I didn't care for the game further into it.

I found the scenes very, very dark and a lot of objects extremely difficult to find. Yes, the hint button refreshes quickly, but if you keep having to use it, the game isn't any fun. I also didn't find the graphics to be really good at all. Compared to other games out there right now, they were really poor quality especially when you got into the darker scenes.

There are basically no hints as to what to do in the scenes and sometimes you have to go out of one room and into another before you can figure out what to do. I usually love this type of game, but in this one, it was just frustrating because you had no hint or idea that you had to go to another room or stay in the room you were in. No clue whether you were finished with the room or not. Also, no help whatsoever on tasks to be completed. Overall, it was just frustrating to me and I found I couldn't wait for the hour to end. I also found that the skip button did not work for all the minigames.

After finishing both the CE and regular version demos, I was well over halfway through the game so I don't think it would be worth the credit for me to purchase it even if I had liked it.

Edited on 06/03/2010 at 7:06:41 PM PST

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Jun 3, 10 6:55 PM
Question: Is this game like the first one where there are hidden object scenes one after another? I prefer to have some adventuring in between times but the first one flat bored me. I am barely getting through the new Robinson Crusoe game because of all the hidden object scenes. The only reason I'm finishing it is because of the funny stuff they put in the scenes and great graphics.

shervy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by shervy on Jun 4, 10 12:03 AM
Hi all,
glad to hear a lot of fishies are enjoying this game. The thing i love most about these forums are i get a wide range of views. Totally awesome thankyou all. Havent played it yet still deciding

everyone

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 4, 10 4:25 AM
I've just finished this game, and to be honest, I was getting pretty bored by the end. I don't like FHOGs much and I agree with the lack of direction. Beautiful graphics and an excellent length, but most of my games I play at least twice, and I can't see bothering to play this one again. Glad others enjoyed it though!!

[Post New]by chris122049 on Jun 4, 10 4:30 AM
FHOG? Is that the same as a FROG? Maybe Fractured Hidden Object Game? I hope!

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on Jun 4, 10 7:14 AM
I enjoyed the first in the series (The Tarot Card Mystery), and I bought this one immediately. I'm mostly satisfied with my purchase and I'd recommend it to those of you looking for something a little different than a straight HOG or FROG.

Graphically, the game looks lovely. The cutscenes are painted while the backgrounds are a little more crisp and realistic. But both are of the same quality and use similar tones, so they fit in very well. A slight downside was that many of the areas were pretty dark and some objects were hard to see.

I enjoyed the music and the sounds. They weren't intrusive, but they fit the scenes and the mood. The voice-acting was done well.

Gameplay could be broken into 3 parts: straight written list HOG, silhouette HOG and a FROG. The hint button loads in a reasonable amount of time, though I didn't use it very much. There are also several puzzles (with a skip button) added to the mix. For the most part, I found the puzzles easy - that's not to say that they were an offense to my intelligence or anything. The only exception is the music box puzzle. I skipped that one. There was also something to do on every screen. I was happy to see that the developers really made use of all of the environment.

Now for the negative ... It was so short! I think I finished it in under 2 hours, whereas the first one took me considerably longer. But I also play at a quicker pace, so the length might be just right for the rest of you fishies.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jun 4, 10 9:32 AM
OLDBAY wrote:Well I am in a different boat, I didn't but the CE & I am not going to by the regular version either , I guess my taste have changed , & this game isn't appealing at all , I hate the searching for silhouettes , also one of my pet peeves , I do have the first one but have no desire to replay that one anytime soon ,,So far it's been Another lousy week for games ,, In my opinion
couldnt have said it better myself!

pbrez
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by pbrez on Jun 4, 10 11:09 AM
This game is beyond frustrating.There are 'skip' buttons but it won't let you skip. Cannot figure out where to go and what to do. What a waste of $$

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Jun 4, 10 12:39 PM
I'm so glad we have these forums. I downloaded this game and began to play. I thought it was a pretty decent game for the short time I played but once coming here and reading the comments of others I have 2nd thoughts about purchasing it. Having 3 punch cards from last month I think I'll wait on a better game. Thanks fishies for helping many of us decide where to put our money. Happy gaming!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jun 4, 10 2:18 PM
I liked this game! Three different types of hidden object play according to your "cards", puzzles (skip option included), good graphics, non-annoying music and a decent story. I bought the first one last month and was pleased with it too!

[Post New]by penny99 on Jun 4, 10 9:14 PM
I was charged on my mastercard and paid for the game. I never received the 3 coupon credits[b].my game froze at the sliding doors at the end of the laser tunnel.I have reinstalled twice and have checked all of my systems ie direct x everything is fine.

I
I paid $22 for a game that doesn't work and did not receive my 3 coupon credits!
Customer service impossible to reach. HELP!!!!!!
Penny99

Edited on 06/04/2010 at 9:17:45 PM PST

[Post New]by penny99 on Jun 4, 10 9:20 PM
penny99 wrote:I was charged on my mastercard and paid for the game. I never received the 3 coupon credits[b].my game froze at the sliding doors at the end of the laser tunnel.I have reinstalled twice and have checked all of my systems ie direct x everything is fine.

I
I paid $22 for a game that doesn't work and did not receive my 3 coupon credits!
Customer service impossible to reach. HELP!!!!!!
Penny99
Has anyone else had these problems?

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Jun 5, 10 6:39 AM
Couldn't wait for this to come out in regular edition and so far, I am very disappointed. Nicely done game but no excitement or "WOW' factor. This is a time I would have liked some more interaction with the main character. Went for long periods of time without any dialogue whatsoever, and found myself getting totally bored. This game did not live up to my expectations. Glad I didn't buy the Collector's Edition!

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Jun 5, 10 1:15 PM
I just finished the game. sorry I bought it. A stupid, stupid game. Yet another FBI agent sent out completely alone to save the world. never arrests anyone or uses subpoena powers. main character is completely unsympathetic.

but that's not my real gripe with this game. finding pieces of objects or objects from a list whether by name or shape is just way too simplistic and uninteresting for me. we aren't really involved in solving the crime except in a few small ways. nice enough settings but gameplay and story weren't worth it at all to me.

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Jun 5, 10 1:42 PM
Welcome to the forums penny99!

If you purchased Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition, you will receive three punches on your monthly Game Club Punch Card. You don't receive additional credits for purchasing Collector's Editions, but they do count toward three punches for your monthly Game Club Punch Card. You should have been notified by email about your Punch Card punches, but if you're concerned that you didn't receive that email, you can contact Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right of the screen, and then clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom left of the next page to reach the online web form.

To submit the web form, first click "Check for Answers" to visit the Help pages, and if you still can't find an answer, you will then be able to click the "Submit" button to send your ticket.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat for real-time support through your "My Game Club" page. Chat hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM PST.

Hope this helps!

-bfgZambezi

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 5, 10 2:05 PM
I'm underwhelmed.... I guess I was also underwhelmed with the first one even though I bought it, I never finished it. I'm only at Chapter 4. When I don't finish a game it means that it wasn't compelling... So I'm going to pass on this one for now.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jun 5, 10 2:09 PM
With OLDBAY & Classicaljazz. No spark here.I don't think my taste has changed. I never would have liked this game. Too much work, not much fun. Boring storyline.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Jun 5, 10 3:59 PM
I was allowed to Beta this game and am very happy how it was cleaned up since then. There are still a few black on black searches and that was disappointing but overall I loved the game.

I enjoyed it very much! Thanks BFG!

Go to: