KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Deep Blue Sea 2

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Jun 5, 10 11:52 AM
I was thrilled to finally see this game offered by Big Fish, I have been waiting for it since reading a review back in March, since I had a lot of fun with the first one. The HOG scenes are a nice addition to the Match 3 play. I am playing it timed, but am glad there is an untimed option, in case I can't make it thru all the levels--I have read that there are 200 levels!
Getting a new diver is interesting. The levels so far ( I am
up to 40) are a range of different difficulties, mostly from a difficulty factor of 2 to 5 (the hardest so far). I think the strategy is to decide which diver to use, by matching their experience to the difficulty of each level. They only get experience by finishing a level, so less experienced divers should be used on easier levels--as they gain experience, they get more power-ups. In addition, more power-ups can be purchased in "the store," however you have to choose which you will use for a particular level, as the amount you can keep on your "dive belt" is limited.
All in all, a great game for Match-3 fans.

nlean
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by nlean on Jun 5, 10 9:38 PM
If you thought Deep Blue Sea was good, Deep Blue Sea 2 is way better. It has a better storyline and more divers, with your choice of favourite options like breakers and air tanks to beat the timer.

Definitely recommend this game. If you only buy one Match 3 game this is it!

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Jun 6, 10 4:55 AM
i am glad to hear there are so many levels...i am enjoying this game so far..
i am wondering tho... am i doing the wrong thing by using the same diver all the time??? perhaps this will create a prob. for me in later levels..
ty for this relaxing enjoyable game

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 6, 10 3:31 PM
Oh joy - part 2! Yea!! I loved the first DBS and played it twice which is very unusual for me. DBS2 promises to be even better with more variety and multiple divers. I have to play it if for no other reason than to find Jessica! The graphics are great, a good storyline with fun characters and multiple gameplays, ie hidden object and rotating grid, which I love.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jun 6, 10 9:48 PM
I'm on level 54 now and I just wanted to say that this game does get more difficult, even though it might appear based on playing the first 20 levels or so that it does not. It's getting quite challenging now.

Protea
Manatee
Manatee
4,001 Posts

[Post New]by Protea on Jun 7, 10 3:40 AM
Deep Blue Sea is one of my nightly relax games......so I purchased the DBS 2 and thought "wow"......now my "wow" has turned into a "oh no".

I love the rotation and H O G's new types of power ups etc.....what I HATE is the new board, in comparing it to the old one, I wish they could have kept it, the new one has very small working squares and due to all the color's, it is very difficult for me to relax with this game, so I will continue with the original for late at night.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jun 7, 10 6:44 AM
I'm not much of a M3 player, but am pleased with this one.
I like the different divers, the timed versus relaxed mode, the graphics, the shops
DH is completedaddicted to this & finds it just challenging enough to relax after work to defrag his brain.
***warning*** very addictive playing. DH said even more addicting than 4 elements & Heartwild Solitair (this is good thng since he likes M3 & I am more of a FROG or IHOG)
Was demoed & bought withing first 10minutes.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 7, 10 4:32 PM
Deep Blue Sea 2 - Based on 30 minutes-worth of demo

Let me preface this review by saying that I never tried the first Deep Blue Sea game, so I've nothing to compare it to save my general gaming experiences.

First off, you have an option to play "Story" or "Relaxed". Normally I would go for relaxed, but I wanted to see the story, so that's what I chose. In this mode, your "timer" is the amount of air you have. Left over air gives you a treasure bonus , which is used both towards your high score and as currency on the islands

The music is appropriate for underwater scenes, but the sound effects were comparatively loud. A quick trip to the Options menu took care of that problem, and I also noticed that you can adjust the settings to make the graphics less intense - very nice for those with slow processors!

There is alternating game play here. You start off with a match-3 scene, then go on to a hidden object scene. The objects are hidden on a scrolling scene (up and down), but the nice thing is that only the match-3 scene is timed - not the hidden objects. There is no penalty for random clicking, which is nice in this case , plus you have refillable hints with no deductions for using them.

Your air timer is cumulative - If you start with 10 minutes on the first dive (M-3) and use two of them, on your next dive you'll have 8 minutes. When you've collected enough treasure for the level or want to end it early, just close the lid on the treasure-collecting tube. You actually earn experience and new abilities by using your bonuses, which is something I haven't seen in a Match-3 before.

I just barely got to the second hidden object scene by the time I finished 30 minutes-worth of the demo. The artwork on these scenes seems better to me than the match-3 portion. It was the same hidden object scene as the first, but the items both move around, and new items are added.

The rest of the game is a match-3 game. As you progress through the game, you get new characters, who have new abilities (bonuses) you can use. Besides collecting artifacts by bringing them to the bottom of the grid, you collect "treasures", which are a variety of sea creatures that smile at you when your cursor is close to them.

My overall feeling on this game is so-so. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this game is missing that little something that would make it addictive and a must-buy for me.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 7, 10 8:03 PM
I played the one hour demo in Story Mode and Relaxed Mode. There is no difference except for the timer and there should be no need to buy extra oxygen in the Relaxed Mode. The story is presented in the same way in the Relaxed Mode, so you will not miss out on anything (except stress) if you play in the Relaxed Mode.

There are hidden object scenes where you can earn extra money and a shop where you can buy power ups to help you in the match-3 games. The hidden object scenes scroll so you have a larger area to search. The items cleverly move from one place to another when you revisit the scene again. So the trident you saw on the shelf when you visited the scene earlier in the game has now moved and may be on the floor … very tricky.

The story was not very original and didn’t hold my interest. I only played the demo but it didn’t draw me in and make me want to know more.

The match-3 play was nothing new. What I played was the standard grid with various treasures that you have to drop to the bottom and off the grid. I encountered Chain Locks and Frozen Tiles as obstacles. I would imagine that the obstacles and power ups increase in complexity as the game progresses.

For me, this match-3 falls into the ordinary category as games go. I much prefer the innovative and challenging match-3 games such as Paradise Quest and The Ancient Quest of Saqqarah.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 8, 10 3:49 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

I must admit upfront that I'm not much of a Match 3 fan. At first they're simply too repetitious for my taste (match these; get that to drop there; match these; get that to drop there; match .....); and then in later levels, they're more work than I want to put into a game (how the heck do I work around that immovable object?). So this game didn't really appeal to me. I did like the soothing music and the fact that you had untimed option, but that was about it.

Having said that though, if you like Match 3s, you'll probably like this one. The gameplay is pretty straightforward and there's not much of anything else (storylines, other kinds of puzzles) interrupting the play. The music is soft and relaxing; and if you like to challenge yourself with a timer, you can. If you're on the fence, give it a try and see what you think. It's certainly worth that much at least.

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Jun 9, 10 7:20 PM
I won't be redundant with kudos because I feel my fellow fishes have said it so well already. I bought the game after downloading the demo. I enjoyed the original and 2 is equally relaxing. The added HOG idea is cute. Very easy!!! Very, very easy! Play it once and you will have memorized the objects. Position are changed using the same items each time. I'm presently on level 50 looking forward to the next 150 levels.
The game downloaded and installed without a hitch. I'm running Win 7 and use Firefox for my browser, Thank you Big Fish.

suzette72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by suzette72 on Jun 9, 10 7:46 PM
This is a worthy successor to the best match three of all time (IMHO): Big Kahuna 2.
I could have happily played without the story, but it was not too intrusive. I really liked the match-3 action: different obstacles with differing degrees of difficulty, and boards that shifted made the game a little different and required some strategy. I liked that aspect.
The music was nice, suitable to the game but not intrusive. The character graphics were kind of roughly sketched, but you don't see them all the time, so it didn't really matter.
What I really liked was the ability to buy a HUGE variety of power ups and useful tools to take with you on your "dives." It was also very clever to have 5 divers to choose between, each of whom had special skills and power ups of their own.
There are also optional **** levels which pay off BIG in terms of power ups, and I like plain, old-fashioned **** games, so that is a real treat. You can go and play each scene many times to get PUs without spending your "treasure." I am at level 107 now, and I have played steadily since the game was released. Can't wait to buy the original now!!
Thanks for a great game, Big Fish!!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 10, 10 4:21 AM
I enjoyed the first Deep Blue Sea and I am satisfied with the 2nd one, I thought the graphics and the music was nice. In this game you will have two game modes which is great for the fishies that don't like the timer, story mode and relax mode. I noticed even in story mode, I had much time to spare. I was pleased with the upgrades and the power-ups, I even liked the hidden object levels, though you can skip them if you would like, as well as the story. To you all that are enjoying this great M3 game, you all have a good time....to the fishies that didn't I am sure a great HOG/IHOG will come along soon, crossing my fins for you all. Happy Gaming !!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 13, 10 12:58 AM
I played about 40 minutes of the demo and quit. I think the idea of having a story to go along with the M3 is a nice concept. I would have liked to been able to play with the system cursor instead of the game cursor. I do with more developers would give us that choice in Optionsl. Using the game cursor seemed to make the game drag at times. Over all, I felt the whole game dragged at times. I have several M3 games and do like them but I do not think this one is interesting enough for me to add to my collection. I do not think Deep Blue is a bad game ,,, just not a game for me; I know there will be those that will truly enjoy Deep Blue and to them I say... great and have a wonderful time.

Thanks BF for giving us such a nice variety of games to choose from.

Pat

Your Comments and Review for Deep Blue Sea 2

[Post New]by ggrandel on Jun 20, 10 1:22 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Deep Blue Sea 2? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

[Post New]by ggrandel on Jun 20, 10 1:25 PM
I really enjoyed the first Deep Blue Sea game. To be honest, I was disappointed with Deep Blue Sea 2. To me it it is not nearly as fun as the first one. I find that I get very bored after playing for just a little while.

squishy2020
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by squishy2020 on Jul 2, 10 5:40 PM
Deep Blue Sea 2

Fantastic game, really appreciate the relaxed mode, makes the game more enjoyable

Hidden Object games do not appeal, but these are easily skipped

Have had problem with freezing, but will wait till I finish before restarting, have overcome it by going to All Programmes, and starting from there

This will remain one of my favourites to replay

[Post New]by ssugarbarre on Jul 5, 10 8:17 AM
this seems too close to big kahuna reef for me
i did appreciate the post that is took some intellligence to play it
bkr..opened with bombs and hen the users make games so they are incredible.
and i have hd them for years

just bought geisha..and liked that
after rounds, that is very hard to play in relaxed
in relaxed i built a garden with trees etc..

i jus need a new match three game..

they are on sale and i have a credit
waht to do
rather than redo my typos.

cheers..to game players, its hard to find them after you have most all you like.

BlueSkunk12
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by BlueSkunk12 on Jul 27, 10 9:44 PM
Graphics intensive, so it played slowly on my computer. And I don't like Hidden Treasure games. I expected a fun M3. This isn't it.

jackelfish
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by jackelfish on Aug 1, 10 9:04 AM
I love the game, and made it through all 200 dives, including the bonus ones. I did the relaxed version and at the end, all I got was a picture of the sea and treasure chest. Where is the "Congratulations" or something. Is that all there is?

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 9:06:30 AM PST

Go to: