Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Explorer: Contraband Mystery

[Post New]by Raska on Jun 6, 10 4:57 AM
Maybe nice for kids, but not a buy for me in any case...Not interesting, mini games = dull..apart from the puzzle... - not a lot of information...etc, etc, etc...

Could have been much better !

Raska

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 4:58:01 AM PST

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 6, 10 5:14 AM
Took one glance at the screen shots and said nope. Hate that style of graphics and these reviews confirm my suspicion.

That's ok, I have lots and lots of good ones to keep playing.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 6, 10 5:16 AM
Special note for BFG: the link for the "Welcome" thread for this game seems to be broken - when you try to open the thread it says the page can't be found.

My main problem with this game is that it is far too short. I'm not the fastest fish in the pond, but based on the fact that I got through 1-1/2 of the three missions, it is barely a 2 hour game for an average gamer, probably an hour and a half for the faster fishies. Not as bad as Barnyard Sherlock Hooves that nearly everyone finished before their free demo expired (talk about a miscalculation on the developers part - I can't see where they sold many of those!) but still not up to the expectations of most gamers, who want a minimum of 3 hours play time for their money.

That said, Nat Geo is a well respected organization, and you'd think they could put a bit more effort into their products. The graphics are good, but just good - not the outstanding quality I would expect for a company known for their stunning photography and video work. They are also top in their field when it comes to facts and information about the subjects, but this game is sorely lacking in both - just a few tidbits, nothing to make you want to turn to a friend or family member and say, "Hey, guess what I just learned?"

I didn't mind the small objects, at least not too much, and the hint system worked well. Usually in cases like this I'd make a comment on the cheap prices of BFG, where we can get most games for the price of a fast food combo - if I can get more enjoyment out of the game than the combo meal for about the same price, I won't complain. But paying the same price for this game as I would for the standard edition of the Puppet SHow series or even the Strange Cases series shows how inadequate the Nat Geo games are.

I would never say a game isn't worth playing the demo - it's free, and there isn't much that isn't worth paying nothing for - but it's going to have to be a very lean month for me to come back and purchase this one.

(edited twice for typos - it's going to be one of those days)

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 5:35:21 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 6, 10 5:30 AM
sinshack wrote:Special note for BFG: the link for the "Welcome" thread for this game seems to be broken - when you try to open the thread it says the page can't be found.
Probably a temporary thing only, at least it is working now - the not-found msg happens quite often here for me (in all fora); just reload on the "not found"-page or go back and click on it again.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Jun 6, 10 5:42 AM
Game downloaded and played fine for me. I played the diamond mission and completed it in 35 minutes. If there are only 3 missions this game won't be worth it. Graphics were okay, and I found most of the objects extremely easy to find. That being said, I don't find it fair to have us searching for specialized items, for example a "scrabler." Either give us a description of what in tarnation it is, or don't have it on the list. Given the likely shortness of the game I doubt I'll waste a game credit on it.

volnole68
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by volnole68 on Jun 6, 10 6:04 AM
I seem to be in the minority lately with games. I enjoyed the demo of this. I didn't think the items were too small and I am using a laptop and have old eyes! I did need a hint on some things that I couldn't figure out what they should look like. I didn't think the red x'es were a negative. I took my time, read the story and enjoyed the scenery...finished one story only during demo as no rushing. Learned some things about gorillas I didn't know actually. I do think it might be short which would be my only drawback. Certainly worth playing an hour free anyway.

[Post New]by carolprint1 on Jun 6, 10 6:17 AM
i must agree with all comments.....played 35 min and hit the delete button. it seemed to me that the game played slow(er) cant be my laptop....its only a month old and i purchased the top of the line just for the video/graphic etc for games!
the graphics are wonderful....i like nature photos...but the items were either right in ur face or way 2 small/dark to be seen....thanks for the rechargeable hint batteries....i used at least 1 or all 3 in every scene! i to liked the "x" so i didnt reclick the same spot over and over....
the arrow pointing to the "hand" was just stupid/annoying after the first couple of scenes....what???? the developers dont think we got the HINT to click on the hand???
i did try to get involved with the story line....but again the game was dull and i just couldnt continue it to see if it gets better or worse and how well my journalist skills are!
i have 1 other of their games that i made a mistake of buying....was really hoping they would get the hint and improve their games....i guess i will keep trying to finish up other games that i have been saving for a "raining day"

PS for those fishies who enjoy....HAVE FUN....sounds like it could be short game

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 6:19:54 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 6, 10 6:21 AM
I didn’t enjoy this game. I played through the Gorilla mission and part of the Diamond mission but found it boring. The hidden object list is written in small hard to see print. The hidden objects were much too difficult to see. Not just a few, but almost all of the hidden objects in the scenes were too small to see. I’m glad there was no penalty for random clicking because I found myself doing that a lot. My screen was full on red X’s buy the time it was finished.

I had the same difficulty with the small items in the find the differences scenes. I was constantly waiting for the hint to recharge so I could finish the scene. Perhaps this waiting added to the general boredom of the game.

One of the mini-games was a puzzle where you swap and rotate the pieces. You are given a small example of the complete picture to help you solve the puzzle. Each piece has to be moved to its proper place and rotated to the right orientation before it will lock into place. The problem is that there are 48 pieces in the puzzle and many of the pieces look very similar, especially the background pieces.

The process for successfully placing the background pieces becomes very tedious. You move a piece to where you think it might go and then rotate it all the way around. If it’s not the right piece, start again. To make this more difficult the “rotate” action is difficult to activate. If the puzzle had better mouse response for the rotation and if it had about half the number of pieces it might have been more enjoyable.

The best aspect of the mini-games in general was that the SKIP button was available immediately and you didn’t have to wait for it to charge up. I normally don’t skip mini-games but some of these were just too tedious.
In the Game Options you can choose to play in the timed or untimed mode. You can also play without the custom cursor. The other options are Full Screen and volume for the Sound Background and Sound Effects. The game will not save in the middle of a scene or mini-game. It will take you back to the beginning of the scene or mini-game when you restart the game.

I love Nat Geo films and television shows but I don’t think I have ever enjoyed a Nat Geo game. They are such a good company it’s too bad that they seem to be putting resources into these games and not producing enjoyable entertaining results.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 6:26:16 AM PST

bombaa27
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,421 Posts

[Post New]by bombaa27 on Jun 6, 10 6:27 AM
I am also unable to play game due to complete black screen. Downloaded fine but when I went to play.....nothing. Just black blank screen. I usually like the Nat Geo games but couldn't even attempt this one. Bummer

rita9720
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by rita9720 on Jun 6, 10 6:52 AM
Totally agree with joywales. This is not a relaxing game. Must use too many hints and would like to delete those annoying red x's.

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Jun 6, 10 7:30 AM
Really appreciate all the comments. I did download mainly because the graphics looked good. I usually come here to the forum to get opinions of games to see if it's worth downloading. I see most comments are negative and already alerts me to the fact the game may not be one I will enjoy. I will come back and update my comments and let you all know the experience...

lyn58
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by lyn58 on Jun 6, 10 8:24 AM
during the scene, you can find 3 batteries. after using a hint, click on the found batteries to recharge hint button instantly.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 6, 10 9:54 AM
Think I'll pass - even on the demo. I generally don't like NG games at all. The graphics are substandard (surprising, as someone else said), the plots trite, and the objects small and hard to see. I also find the "pop quizzes" annoying. Sounds like this one isn't any better.

I bought the monster game as a DD because I thought the storyline was amusing, but it's the only NG/HC game I've ever bought. THIS game should have been the soft release yesterday, and the Bots should have been the TGT today.

At least we've had 3 good DDs in a row, or at least ones I wanted to buy. I got Haunted Hotel 2 because I did the beta for HH3 - really good, BTW - and it will make more sense if I play HH2 first. Hopefully this means that HH3 is nearing release.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 9:54:44 AM PST

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jun 6, 10 10:54 AM
Yabba Dabba. I have played some annoying games, but this has to sit right on top of the heap. Tiny graphics. I would think a fine orginazation like Nat. Geo would assure their games would reflect their high standards. So sad. The graphics were very clear, just too small and jumbled to find. I bailed out after only playing 10 min. or so. So sad.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jun 6, 10 12:57 PM
terrible game. I finished it with 15 minutes left on the Demo. NO BUY.

Serafinos
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Serafinos on Jun 6, 10 12:57 PM
So mad at myself for not popping into the forum FIRST prior to wasting my free game credit on it.

Loaded the game, fine -- got through the video intro, fine.
However -- it just stops at the beginning screen on the docks with the full moon.
NOTHING -- no way to start the game -- NOTHING!

It's another add to the growing list of disappointments with BF game offers, lately.
Use to love them almost everyday.

Went through a very long list of mostly spooky/death ridden/mystic type games without let up.

Agree with majority -- National Geo won't be selling anymore games to this household.

PMing technical. Hopefully will get the credit back. Deleting the game!
UGH

sadji
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sadji on Jun 6, 10 2:03 PM
I must say it in german: Mit den täglichen Spielen tut sich Bigfisch keinen Gefallen. Die der letzten Wochen waren in der Regel völlig mies.Ständig uralte Games wie Agon unter anderem Namen die auf keinem neuen System laufen ist nicht grad kundenfreundlich.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 6, 10 2:55 PM
Read LizzieK's review and some others and thought "Oh No", I was
sure NatGeo would get better with their next game. Had time to
spare, so did the demo. No, they have failed to hit the mark
again.

Love thier films and TV shows, but I think they really need to get
with another game developer who could take better advantage
of all their company has to offer.

Someone raised the question in another thread as to whether
they are making any money on their games or maybe subsidised
and don't have to worry about profit. Humm, wonder.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Jun 6, 10 4:40 PM
LilyCat wrote:Given the comments of other fishies, and recent experience of NG games, I'm not even going to bother downloading this one.

Count me in on that one!

susjs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by susjs on Jun 9, 10 7:28 PM
I forgot to exit the game and it was at the stage where you had to buy it when I got back. So, I did - buy it. What a mistake! It is one of the worst games I've ever played. And short? Good lord! About two hours worth of game playing if you are doing it very leisurely...

DO NOT BUY!

Go to: