missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Explorer: Contraband Mystery

[Post New]by missy12 on Jun 6, 10 7:42 PM
at first I thought it was a cool games cause I like gorillas,but when i bought it I could not wait to finish it,not very good at all,items were hard to find,most of them were shadows,I have never had to use my hints so much as I did this one.wish i could get my credit back.

[Post New]by oodielou on Jun 6, 10 7:51 PM
I had such high hopes for this game. Love Nat Geo and was looking forward to a game that also had some educational tidbits. I was certainly disappointed. I thought the graphics were poor and I agree with everyone else, the objects were just too difficult to find, especially at the village. The puzzles with the rotating pieces were so bad. I immediately hit the skip button!

dspsunrise
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dspsunrise on Jun 6, 10 9:24 PM
I just spent almost the whole hour completing a diamond mission which I actually found enjoyable. Yes, the objects are somewhat small, but not impossible to find. The information is interesting, the pictures are fairly good and the games aren't all your typical same old games which is refreshing. It's not the game of the year and sure, it has some room for improvement, but I don't think it deserves the bashing it seems to be getting so far in this forum. I'd give it a 2 and 1/2 to 3 out of 5 stars.

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Jun 6, 10 9:39 PM
LizzieK, as usual a very good review. Thanks. I usually look for your reviews first. I won't be buying this one.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 9:39:45 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 6, 10 9:54 PM
I actually liked this one. Yes, it is really more suited for a DD than a $6.99 game as it is extremely short to me. I started with the diamond case and got halfway through the gorilla case in my hour. Since there are only three cases, I'm not sure it is worth the full price. I am also glad I started with the diamond case because I found it to be the better of the two between it and the gorilla.

There were several things in particular I did like about this game. First, I like how in each scene you have to find an object which is the same in every scene. This object, when found, will give information about the case. For example, you might learn which country is the largest importer of diamonds. This information will help you later as there is a quiz and it is interesting. I didn't know there was a quiz until I got to it so I was glad I was interested enough to read everything.

Secondly, I liked how each scene also had you find additional items that were the same for every scene. For example gems. It helped break up the straight hidden object list and was another enjoyable angle of the game. Thirdly, I liked the minigames. They were different and a little more difficult than your average minigame.

The music was really nice and the graphics to me were really good. The objects in the diamond case were not too hard to find. I did get somewhat frustrated playing the gorilla case because the objects were difficult to find and sometimes there were two of a particular object and you had to figure out which one they wanted.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a skip button for every minigame. I really liked the puzzle minigames and the first one in the diamond section was really difficult. I usually whip right through them, but I couldn't get one of the pieces to go where it was supposed to go so after 20 minutes, I had to skip it. The puzzle game in the gorilla case was a lot easier. I also didn't care for the red "x" that appeared if you clicked on the wrong item. I guess the purpose was to help so you could remember what you had clicked already, but I found the red "x's" distracting. I also didn't like the fact that it took so long for the hint button to refresh.

I think if I had played the gorilla case first, I might not have enjoyed this game as much as I did. As it was, I was sad to see my demo up. If I need to fill a card up or I see it as the DD, I will definitely purchase it. Otherwise, I will wait as it is just too short for me.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 10:02:18 PM PST

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Jun 7, 10 12:52 AM
Usually I play the hour no matter what, but this is the rare game that I won't be finishing the demo for. Just a bit of a snooze, I think. Too bad, I like the story idea, and love NatGeo. Oh well.

whebeck
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by whebeck on Jun 7, 10 4:15 AM
I bought it and so sorry that I did! The graphics created horrible eye strain. Extremely hard to find objects. Had to use the hints a lot. Very, very disappointed that I wasted a credit for this. The first NG game was good and long. This one was too short but took about 3 hours to complete with the hints.

mylilpony
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by mylilpony on Jun 7, 10 4:26 AM
so far the Lost City of Z is the only NATGEO game that I have enjoyed. This one has a fairly lame story line. I don't mind small or well concealed objects so that part was ok for me. Having so many jewels and coins etc. to find in each scene got to be a distraction for me. The gorilla segment was educational. I got thru it and the diamond mission completely in the demo. If the drug mission is the last, then the game fails for being too short. I got up to the point where things were found in an arrested man's car. All in all, the game had little that I found compelling and cannot consider a buy. It was just ok to kill an hour.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jun 7, 10 8:28 AM
I agree with most of the post here! Way too boring. NO buy.

chruke
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by chruke on Jun 7, 10 11:55 AM
Worst game ever!!!! Tedious mini puzzles and as the game progressed small objects became gray on black or black on black. Couldn't find some some of them even with hints.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 7, 10 3:29 PM
I like journalism, I like nature, I like playing, I like learning... Somehow I can't seem to like any of National Geographic's games. They are slow, slightly boring.
I still hope they will produce something interesting but so far... There always seems to be something missing (majorly some fun and a couple of items with a size bigger than the last line of an optometrist's test).

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Jun 7, 10 5:48 PM
I tried to like the game - I really did.

It seemed interesting, but the graphics are horrible and the hidden objects are so tiny, my eyes were bleeding after about 20 minutes.

Darn. It seemed like it was going to be a fun game, too.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jun 8, 10 11:17 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone else. I tried really hard to have no opinion, but very shortly same conclusion that this was a poorly put together game.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jun 9, 10 5:28 AM
ok so I played the demo--very dissappointed.
The graphics are...differnt-you have real photos combined with animated cartoons.
I played through the diamond mission & most of the gorilla, and found the best deal is SKIP in diamond mission. that's to is too bad.
the Gorilla side, the village tools was full of red X's! LOL hard to see objects that are blended in so well-
Hints in Spot the diff games extremely slow to load & ate up alot of the time
You are penalized for too many wrong clicks & I agree with the red X are distracting-novel idea though
Prolly as a freebie, don't think I would spend DD $'s on it
never came across a game they quiz you on trival aspects, so click on the those items

Lesboop
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Lesboop on Jun 9, 10 7:03 AM
The general consensus seems to be that this game totally sucks, lol! I also love the NatGeo shows on television. Like others, I agree that their games leave a bit to be desired.
1. Items way to tiny for these old eyes.
2. Story didn't grab me and make me feel like I just had to continue to find out who dunnit.
3. Finding the same gems and batteries in every scene got to be pretty monotonous for me.
4. The flashing hand print and the pop up informational window got to be annoying also. Lol, that was one thing that was large enough for me to see without it having to be flashed at me on every scene!
5.The red x's I'm mixed on. Yes, they were a bit annoying sticking out like a sore thumb, but then again, it certainly prevented you from clicking the same area twice. I did find that on the tiny objects, you had to click spot on or you'd get the x.
6. I can deal with find the difference games and I usually love puzzles.
7. However, the puzzle is what undid me. It wasn't a problem moving the pieces to different spots. My problem was getting the dang things to rotate.
That sealed it for me and I promptly uninstalled without a second thought.
Lol, I can't help but wonder if BFG removes any games that get horrible reviews from its members.

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Jun 9, 10 7:42 AM
I agree with most of the reviews I've just read. Played it for about half an hour and thought it might might get better. It didn't. Won't be buying this one either.

windchild
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by windchild on Jun 9, 10 7:58 AM
Wow! I didn't think it was as awful as everybody else seems to think! I loved the background story. The hidden object scenes were as bad as people are saying they are though. Dark on dark and items bearing no resemblance to what they were supposed to be. But you have no penalty for clicking randomly. And you get to pick up bonus objects for extra hints I found the mini-game puzzles challanging but in a good way. When my hour was up I was wanting more. I really wanted to see if I would be able to figure out the answers to the mysteryies.

M_E_M_O_M
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by M_E_M_O_M on Jun 9, 10 8:56 AM
I can usually find something good in every game, but not this one. I think sticking something black in a dark corner, or washing all the color out of something, are 'cheap hides', and this game had a lot of them. I just expected more from NatGeo and now won't buy any more of their games. Lesson learned!

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jun 9, 10 2:04 PM
windchild wrote:Wow! I didn't think it was as awful as everybody else seems to think! I loved the background story. The hidden object scenes were as bad as people are saying they are though. Dark on dark and items bearing no resemblance to what they were supposed to be. But you have no penalty for clicking randomly. And you get to pick up bonus objects for extra hints I found the mini-game puzzles challanging but in a good way. When my hour was up I was wanting more. I really wanted to see if I would be able to figure out the answers to the mysteryies. [/quote

I liked this game also. I was curious like you. I bought it and am not sorry. It is a game that I didn't want to hurry through. I have other NG games and will probably buy more when they come out.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Jun 9, 10 2:35 PM
I WISH I WOULD'VE READ THE REVIEWS BEFORE I GOT THE GAME. I WAS PLAYING THE TRIAL AND THOUGHT, BOY, ANOTHER HOG THAT I CAN LEARN FROM ALSO! BUT THIS GAME WAS JUST TERRIBLE, GOD AWFUL, MISERABLE. THE ONLY POSITIVE THING THAT I CAN SAY IS THAT IT WAS A FREE CREDIT. IT WAS DARK, THE OBJECTS WERE HARD TO SEE, THE STORY WAS RIDICULUS, AND I HAVE NEVER USED SO MANY HINTS AS I DID FOR THIS GAME, ONLY BECAUSE I WAS CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT THE END WAS. AND THAT WAS EQUALLY AS STUDID AS THE REST OF THE GAME. I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH "BIG FISH" FOR BUYING THIS GAME AND DISTRIBUTING IT. IT WAS NOT UP TO THEIR STANDARDS!! SORRY.

Go to: