Reviews for Bluebeard's Castle

Re:Reviews for Bluebeard's Castle

[Post New]by jenv1771 on Jan 22, 12 7:48 PM
I want to add that I am reading many other reviews and I see several people commenting about the beautiful graphics and making other positive comments. I am pretty sure those folks don't have a lot of experience playing hidden object games on Big Fish because in comparison to every other hidden object game I have played, this one is really glitchy and slow. The graphics are comparable to the other games but certainly are not better. So overall, this game is really sub par compared to every other hidden object game I have played on Big Fish.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Feb 4, 12 8:31 PM
I've been a BF member since 2006 and have played a lot of HO games..ahem, and this is the glitchiest (sp?) game I think I've ever played. I did do the uninstall and that got me through the fireplace, thankfully, but this game has frozen up every couple of scenes and when it's not freezing up it lags behind. Ish. I finally decided to finish it and I've only had to restart twice in the past hour (Yay, I guess) but now that I have the potion, I'm missing a key, have the phoenix back in my inventory(!) and I really just don't care any more. This is a promising game that runs like molasses. Actually, molasses runs better.

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Feb 13, 12 5:59 AM
well i really loved this game all though it was very slow some times i enjoyed playing it ,i did need the wt a few times because there werent any hints ,the game was well worth the price i have to say it has been 1 of the best games ive played in a long time thanks

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by s_sgs on Feb 20, 12 10:21 AM
Yeah, it runs on Windows 7 just fine. I whizzed through it no problem.

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Apr 21, 12 2:53 PM
jenv1771 wrote:I am disappointed. This game is very glitchy, the hints are useless and the black screens and the waiting while every scene has to load are all very frustrating aspects of what would be a great game. Unfortunately, these negative qualities make the game play unpleasant. When there are many hidden object games on Big Fish that move smoothly from scene to scene, it is inexcusable to have any game that you have to wait for scenes to load. I feel like I should request my money back for this one.

Wow! Sounds like you had a bad experience. Mine was totally the opposite! I found the hints were just enough to push me where I needed to go without peeking at the walkthrough and although I am not a fan of Hidden Object games, and prefer the Adventure games, these were " do-able" and I never needed to use a hint for a H0 scene. Loved the use of a silouette for the objects to help find them! Scenes do take a bit longer to load, but that was not a deal breaker...

So far, I've found 5 of the 7 keys and overall have used very little help to play... the only thing I would have liked to have seen was a journal so I didnt have to go back and forth to look at certain clues. A map would have been nice but not necessary...

Great game, IMO and glad I got it with the buy one get one free deal!! It's nice and long, too, and I do love a challenge! Reminds me a teeny bit of RTR!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 13, 12 8:12 AM
this game is a buy for us. -------doug & lisa

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 10, 12 6:31 PM
My review is based on the demo: This is a no-buy for me at this time. Like some others, I found the play slow, the colors dark, and the hints worthless. The story sounds great and I would like to find out what happens (although I'm pretty sure I already know) but this sort of game just frustrates me. The music doesn't help; it's repetitious and annoying. I did not like my Inventory popping up what seemed like every few seconds, even when the cursor was not anywhere near it. When trying to change scenes it became a puzzle in itself; just where do I put the cursor so that the Inventory doesn't pop up and I'm actually allowed to move. Solving puzzles is slow and sluggish and, during one, my Inventory kept popping up because one of the levers was in the way - not that I could get that lever to work and I finally had to skip the puzzle completely. If I put the cursor on a lever I expect that lever to move, not the lever three inches away.

HOS were strange. This is the first game I've tried to play in which clicking on an item an inch away from the correct item still works. Most of the time it's the opposite problem. Then there was the "rapid clicking" penalty, which made a dark game even darker. The one Hint I used during a HOS consisted of showing me an outline of the object I was trying to find. That's not what I wanted. I know what a thimble looks like; I just couldn't find it! I also noticed that there were two of one kind of item in one HOS. So I clicked on the wrong one and then had to find the other. C'mon...

I don't have a wide-screen and I still ended up with a black bar on each side. I don't mind that if the game makes up for it, but this game doesn't.

If the hints provided some actual information (yes, I know what gives seven years bad luck) I might give it a go. And then there is the loading problem which adds to the general sluggishness of this game.

I wanted to like it. I want to like all the games I play. But when I compare this game to others that have crisp graphics, smooth gameplay, hints that actually provide needed help, and music that fits the game, this game comes up short in too many ways.

This is a boring and frustrating game....for me.

Edited on 08/10/2012 at 6:58:03 PM PST

Westel
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Westel on Aug 29, 12 6:35 PM
sheaflyin wrote:I've been a BF member since 2006 and have played a lot of HO games..ahem, and this is the glitchiest (sp?) game I think I've ever played. I did do the uninstall and that got me through the fireplace, thankfully, but this game has frozen up every couple of scenes and when it's not freezing up it lags behind. Ish. I finally decided to finish it and I've only had to restart twice in the past hour (Yay, I guess) but now that I have the potion, I'm missing a key, have the phoenix back in my inventory(!) and I really just don't care any more. This is a promising game that runs like molasses. Actually, molasses runs better.

Sheaflyin, I couldn't agree more. I think, of all the critiques, yours says it best. I've played the game twice, now, and it's just below par any way you look at it. It's a shame, because it could have been really brilliant. Just seems like they cut corners everywhere.

I did download the updated version tonight, but I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can face the sloooooooooowness of it all. I think if I'd managed to meet Blackbeard, I'd have just yawned in his face!

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Sep 5, 12 9:48 AM
This is a beautifully conceived and executed game with very good game line, graphics and music BUT why, oh why, when wide screens have been available for years are devs still putting out 'square' screens?

Many thanks, Gerry,

paco12348
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by paco12348 on Dec 3, 12 3:53 PM
I can't get the game to use the hot spice in the potion. I have everything I need but it just won't take the hot spice and that's the next thing on the list it shows.

melody222
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by melody222 on Jan 21, 13 9:31 AM
I loved this game but I want to purchase or identify the music piece playing at the beginning of the game before you click start, I love it. Does anyone know how I can purchase it or identify the name it ?

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 2, 13 4:27 PM
I bought this game just to have something to play without really getting into an involved plot or story line. Well, I was surprised. No it doesn't fit WS, but honestly I didn't notice. Artwork was fine, nothing to rant over, but the thing that got me with this game is the fact that for once, you didn't have a hint button telling you where to go. It just simply said search...for more clues. You actually had to think a little bit on this one, unless you used the walkthrough. I admit I had to use it once because I was not paying attention and just thought this was a slam dunk game. I've been playing these games for a while and I thought this game was great. No hints to tell you where to go, and the ending was great. I really enjoyed this game better than I thought I would.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 7, 13 12:45 AM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Entertaining

Story: Your foolish sister has married the infamous Count Bluebeard, even though his previous six wives have disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Now you must go to Bluebeard’s Castle and help her escape.

Developer: Fanda
Release Date: Nov 2011
Extras: Time Scores

I enjoyed each time I have played this one, which is quite a few. It is an easy game, with only a few easy puzzles, and non-interactive HOs.

Has one of my favourite features - a silhouette of the item as a first hint. Outside HOs, the Hint button has a nasty habit of simply saying “Search the castle and its grounds for clues” argh!! Tip: if you do a close up on the area you wish help with, you sometimes get a real answer, such as “use the key from the kitchen”.

Up against the best of today’s games, this looks pretty tame; no spectacular cut scenes, little animation, relatively few locations and all of them dreary in keeping with the ghostly atmosphere. It certainly succeeds in that regard – lots of spooky gardens in a somehow lurking fog. But it is well worth your time (about 3 hours for me).

Edited on 03/07/2013 at 12:53:33 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jun 20, 13 9:33 PM
(Based on completed game):
Graphics: meh

Sparkles: Inconsistent. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not, especially when it comes to picking up objects that are lying around. If you search a scene the cursor will change to a hand and then you've found something.

Hint button: Very, very, very unhelpful. Most of the time you are simply told to search the castle and grounds for more clues. Duh. I already knew that. Another time I was told how to extinguish a fire I had already extinguished.

Puzzles: Instructions are poor. I fiddled around with them and usually succeeded. There is a Skip button and it doesn't take very long to fill. One of the puzzles has instructions that are absolutely not correct at all (the spider puzzle). In another you need to move a lever a certain number of times. I would try this and the lever wouldn't move at all and then suddenly move about ten times. Once I even got kicked out of the scene and had to return. Then the Skip button started from the beginning. This game is full of frustrating glitches like that (I finished this puzzle without even doing what was required; I was going to skip it but suddenly it was over).

HOS: These are pretty good. One good thing about them is that if you click on the rose after clicking on an item to find it will show you an outline of the item. You don't have to wait for this to refill. I found this to be very helpful. You can also click on the Hint button and it will direct you to the item; it does take some time to refill. Also, you can click an inch away from the item you need to find and it will pick it up anyway. There is a mis-click penalty although it's not a bad one; the scene darkens for a few seconds and you can't click on anything (although you can look ).

One of the biggest problems I found is that you have to find the exact tiny spot in which to place an item or it disappears and it's back in your Inventory. If you move the item around you might get lucky and see that it "clicks" in place. It took me a long time to figure this out.

Oh, I forgot to mention the loading between scenes. One took almost half a minute. The game loads at the beginning and almost every time you move from scene to scene. It's not just for a few seconds and it is aggravating.'

Overall: Not well made, could have been spooky and good but someone dropped the ball. I'm disappointed. This could have been a great game but there are too many glitches and game play is clunky at best.

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 6:48:54 PM PST

tattas
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by tattas on Mar 9, 14 7:16 AM
Hello. This has been the slooooowest game I have played since joining BFG. I started it when it came out in 2011. I stopped because the pace of the game was so slow and waiting for the next scene or action became frustrating and discouraging. So I stopped playing it. The game came to my attention again when I attempted to play the "Son of Bluebeard: the heartless. The 2 games became intermingled on my computer. As a result I could not play either one of them. Again I stopped playing for a period of time and returned to play first the Son of Bluebeard, etc. and I have just now finished Bluebeard's Castle. The story line was very interesting and on some level held my attention. However, because the action was so slow, it took a lot of patience over a period of 3 days to get to the end.

The game was very intriguing and challenging. I do not know if it was my computer or not, however, I have been playing BFG games for years and this has been one of worst games in some sense and on another level most interesting and challenging. I guess the new version for PC's helped and also having the walk through. But the action was still slow and there were a lot of black screens happening between scene changes. From the comments in the forum, I see I was not the only one have problems and concerns with this game. I do not know what could have been done to correct the problems, however, being diligent about the creativity that produces these games is crucial. I love these games and will continue to play them until I can play no more.

Go to: