krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst CE

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 28, 11 7:44 AM
For all those people who are turned off by the morphing search scenes...They really DO GET LESS AS YOU GO ALONG IN THE GAME.

I personally think this game is INCREDIBLE. At first I was a tad put off by the morphing H0 scenes but only a little bit, I started to like it rather quickly.

This game is CHALLENGING. I've had to use the SG quite a few times and I NEVER EVER use SGs. But I like a challenging game!

It is GROSS lol. It is sad and creepy (really creepy in places) and has AMAZING graphics. (In fact I am really saddened there aren't any wallpapers with this one, I don't understand why there isn't!!)

But please, people....give the game a chance. When 13th Skull came out everyone (including myself) complained about the live actors. It seems most people hated it (myself included). However, I started by tolerating it, then sort of liking it, and now I love it and I play that game over and over and I listen to the dialog of all the characters EVERY time!

I think it's the same here. The morphing H0 scenes are new, out of the box and everyone is panicking. I think the key is to TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't have to play the game all in one sitting. Then the morphing objects are more fun because you're not in a rush.

Brilliant, brilliant game, I just LOVE the actor who plays Charles, he's right on the money w/ his craziness, lol.

I'm still playing, have 2 more "women trapped in water" to do...stuck again lol but having such a blast.

Keep up the good work BFG.

[Post New]by wingnuts0915 on Nov 28, 11 8:49 AM
I think this game is spectacular. I have played all the MCF games to date, and this did not disappoint.

We asked for morphing objects...and got them! I am so surprised that other fishies are complaining about them. I found them to be a nice change of pace and very challenging! The ambient noises were so appropriate and added so much to the gaming experience!

It took me about 10 hours over 3 days to complete the game, which is an awesome length for a CE.

In a nutshell, I am glad I bought this game (as a CE). I could not have waited for the SE, as I was way too excited to play.

Thank you Big Fish and the MCF team for a wonderful, satisfying product. It went rather well with the turkey!

druids
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by druids on Nov 28, 11 4:02 PM
I couldn't agree more! I absolutely love this game--

holland34
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by holland34 on Nov 28, 11 4:42 PM
I was DYING for this game to be released and was going to buy without playing the demo. I'm glad I didn't. No hidden object scenes is so disappointing. The morphing objects 12 at at a time are so annoying. I really want to get deeper into the game as I hope to be scared out of my mind - that's my fave type of game but it's got to have the **** scenes that I love. Don't Know if I will buy the SE. How disappointing...

[Post New]by Menacer267 on Nov 29, 11 5:07 AM
Just thought of another observation I had toward the end of the game; possibly another tie-in with "Escape" and "Dire Grove."

SPOILER

I swear the second drawing of the mystery man (i.e Charles' father?) looks like the drawing of the banshee entering our world from the "icy world of the dead" from Dire Grove. That could be a second connection for the 2 games, since both involve the idea of the dead coming back to life, or something like that.

What do you think?

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 29, 11 12:53 PM
Menacer267 wrote:Just thought of another observation I had toward the end of the game; possibly another tie-in with "Escape" and "Dire Grove."

SPOILER

I swear the second drawing of the mystery man (i.e Charles' father?) looks like the drawing of the banshee entering our world from the "icy world of the dead" from Dire Grove. That could be a second connection for the 2 games, since both involve the idea of the dead coming back to life, or something like that.

What do you think?

good point! one problem:
a banshee is typically a female

[Post New]by applegel on Nov 29, 11 2:02 PM
stressedoutinde wrote:The first four acts were of nice length, but act 5 & 6 were too short to even be called a whole act, even put together they took less time than 1/4 of any of the other 4 acts, imo. The fact that there is no bonus chapter is just WRONG!!!!!!! That is why a lot of us purchase the CE instead of waiting for the SE. I don't consider going through your journal looking for more morphing objects any kind of bonus.

I post almost never, this is only my 5th one, I have been a member for a long time. Bought my first BF game way back in '06. So needless to say I have played many games, but I was so dissapointed in this game I just had to say what I thought.

Hi
I don't regret buying this game at all but yes I agree with you. I couldn't help but feel rather cheated by Act 5 - it was literally go in and straight out. The whole set up for it could've been awesome. Can you imagine, you enter this beautiful tranquil place (I guess it would be showing us the 'happier' part of Charles Dalimar's life when he was courting Emma) that's such a contrast to his other nightmare reconstructions. Of course being the person he is, he would've put in all these creepy, disturbing elements which you discover upon your explorations.

I read a lot of comments on this forum about too many game developers using the predictable dark backgrounds & scenarios to create eerieness or spookiness in their games. This was such a wasted opportunity for the MCF team imho, especially after the first 3 acts

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Nov 29, 11 2:13 PM
I played the trial version and had plenty of time to mull this over. I bought the CE version. I like a lot of the little things in the game, like the Madame Fate bobble head on the dashboard, the well, and other references to previous Ravenhearst episodes. Look forward to enjoying the rich tapestry of this game.

[Post New]by ddiemetric on Nov 29, 11 2:22 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote: I TAKE ALL THE ABOVE INITIAL EXCITEMENT BACK, AFTER THE INITIAL DEMO SECTION, THIS GAME BECAME graphically vile, repulsive and distasteful... NOT PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER... it contained graphic violence to human beings both living and dead with the "excuse" that they were "dummies".. well the only dummy was me to buy it. This game could have been good if the devs had used their creative abilities toward a good (albeit scary) plot, the devs did not and none of it was GAME MATERIAL IMO! [/color] Yep, I must have been "psycho" to buy this horrid game!

Well, they did place a disclaimer on the download page. I'm not crazy about the gruesomeness either, but I took the disclaimer seriously, so I wasn't surprise.

[Post New]by ddiemetric on Nov 29, 11 2:29 PM
applegel wrote:
stressedoutinde wrote:The first four acts were of nice length, but act 5 & 6 were too short to even be called a whole act, even put together they took less time than 1/4 of any of the other 4 acts, imo. The fact that there is no bonus chapter is just WRONG!!!!!!! That is why a lot of us purchase the CE instead of waiting for the SE. I don't consider going through your journal looking for more morphing objects any kind of bonus.

I post almost never, this is only my 5th one, I have been a member for a long time. Bought my first BF game way back in '06. So needless to say I have played many games, but I was so dissapointed in this game I just had to say what I thought.

Hi
I don't regret buying this game at all but yes I agree with you. I couldn't help but feel rather cheated by Act 5 - it was literally go in and straight out. The whole set up for it could've been awesome. Can you imagine, you enter this beautiful tranquil place (I guess it would be showing us the 'happier' part of Charles Dalimar's life when he was courting Emma) that's such a contrast to his other nightmare reconstructions. Of course being the person he is, he would've put in all these creepy, disturbing elements which you discover upon your explorations.

I read a lot of comments on this forum about too many game developers using the predictable dark backgrounds & scenarios to create eerieness or spookiness in their games. This was such a wasted opportunity for the MCF team imho, especially after the first 3 acts

MCF EFR isn't the only game that we might feel cheated by. A lot of games use the same tactic to sucker you into buying. During the 60-minute trial it seems like there is so much left to play, but after you buy it and get past the first hour, the episodes are much shorter and, since you have adapted to the personality of the game, you're playing it better, so of course the shorter chapters get that much shorter. It's a bad way to keep customers loyal.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 30, 11 10:32 AM
I am almost to the end of this game, and I have to say I will be sorry to see it end. What an awesome game.

The person who plays Charles Dalimar is spot on and very creepy, they couldn't have picked someone better to play that part.

I know alot of people may have been offended by some of the disturbing aspects of this game, but in comparison to other games out there, this was mild IMO.

I can't wait to see what next year delivers. Last year I was saying how do you top "The 13th skull", this year I'm saying how do you top "Escape from Ravenhearst" They just get better and better every year.

[Post New]by legendsmom on Dec 2, 11 8:13 AM
I cant get the light house machine to unlock I am following the strategy guide and it still wont work any suggestions

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 10, 11 12:39 PM
Been a while since I visited the forum. I am playing EFR now and so far enjoying it. The MOS give me some problem. It is different and I am hoping the entire game is not all morphing objects. But then, I did not like FROGS when I first played them, and now I love em! SOOOO, I am giving MOS a chance. I had no doubt about buying the game, undemoed!!!

[Post New]by IrishEyes26 on Dec 10, 11 4:07 PM
When Will Escape From Ravenhearst be available to MAC users?

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 18, 11 5:04 PM
I had to download this 4 times before it worked without crashing.

Can't stop laughing at some of the comments, especially Fortunatus. I have to agree with a lot of the sentiment. I too was sooooooooo excited, but not necessarily disappointed. It is definitely different, and not what I expected, Some of the graphics are distasteful. This game has worn me out and I am only half way through it. I am starting to enjoy the MOs and there are not that many. I did not like FROGs at first, now I love them. The study guide is not really that helpful, and it can be exasperating. I have to take breaks. It is definitely not a boring game and it is extremely difficult. Sort of enjoying it now, and really think it is best to get the CE. MCF RTR is still the best.

[Post New]by FantasyLover on Dec 18, 11 5:06 PM
When is Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst SE coming out?

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 21, 11 8:11 PM
I was reading several of the reviews for the game while waiting for an answer to my question as to whether there are any satanic or occult themes in the game. kelvy graciously answered my question and while I was relieved to know the game has nothing satanic or occult in it, I still think I will pass. According to several of the reviews I read, the game does contain some really sick ideas and, in addition to that, a few mentioned that the game was difficult to play. I don't like a game to be difficult to the point I have to constantly refer to the sg. I also don't care to have one game that takes up so much space on my hard drive. For those who like it, though, have fun!

Coming for MAC?!?!?!?!

[Post New]by rdefassi on Dec 22, 11 4:09 AM
When is this coming for MAC? I mean the PCs get all the fun to start out with boo!

[Post New]by kamlani on Dec 23, 11 4:37 AM
krissywillow wrote:For all those people who are turned off by the morphing search scenes...They really DO GET LESS AS YOU GO ALONG IN THE GAME.

I personally think this game is INCREDIBLE. At first I was a tad put off by the morphing H0 scenes but only a little bit, I started to like it rather quickly.

This game is CHALLENGING. I've had to use the SG quite a few times and I NEVER EVER use SGs. But I like a challenging game!

It is GROSS lol. It is sad and creepy (really creepy in places) and has AMAZING graphics. (In fact I am really saddened there aren't any wallpapers with this one, I don't understand why there isn't!!)

But please, people....give the game a chance. When 13th Skull came out everyone (including myself) complained about the live actors. It seems most people hated it (myself included). However, I started by tolerating it, then sort of liking it, and now I love it and I play that game over and over and I listen to the dialog of all the characters EVERY time!

I think it's the same here. The morphing H0 scenes are new, out of the box and everyone is panicking. I think the key is to TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't have to play the game all in one sitting. Then the morphing objects are more fun because you're not in a rush.

Brilliant, brilliant game, I just LOVE the actor who plays Charles, he's right on the money w/ his craziness, lol.

I'm still playing, have 2 more "women trapped in water" to do...stuck again lol but having such a blast.

Keep up the good work BFG.

I totally agree wid my krissywillow u need to give ur time to be used to the new things with every new mcf game..

I truely enjoyed this game a lot and there were many puzzles where we need to use SG but i swear i have never used the one because that will lose the essence of playing MCF games.

Morphing objects were more fun to find than to find a list of items. Even first time players are enjoying the game coz of it.

Do Anyone know the release date of next MCF game ?

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 24, 11 9:45 AM
I am a glutton for punishment! I am so enjoying EFR. It is the most "convoluted" and "exacting" game I have ever payed, and even using the SG you are fairly on your own. I have been booted out about 20 times, and twice it did not save my profile, and the screen freezes and crashes without saving my progress, but I kept plugging away and I am now trying to rescue the last woman.

I bought EFR because it was a MCF, I played it even though there were several things that initially grossed me out, but I have to tell you folks, this game is the "BOMB" and I like it.

When you restart the game, it is never the same. If you think you know it all, you will find you don't!!!

Go to: