vault07
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:?? for those who've played both versions of MCF

[Post New]by vault07 on Dec 12, 09 10:14 PM
NONONONONO wrote:and for anyone who continues to beat a dead horse in this thread, they are also welcome to trust that we have all gotten the message..over and over and over and over....

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Dec 12, 09 10:16 PM
How would you all feel if you were in my shoes? Since we don't have RTR I could not wait for this game to come out ,I downloaded the promo and guess what I don't think I can play it because my cursor is very slow ,I am afraid to buy it ,since I am having problems with my Pc .So, enjoy the game as i wish I could ,at least you can.

1LIR
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by 1LIR on Dec 12, 09 10:46 PM
I bought the special edition for my daughter for Christmas. I watch her play for about two hours. The morphing is ok and the extra perks, but I waited and bought myself the cheaper version. I played it today and my daughter watch for awhile and she stated: "Mama! You could have saved some money and got me the one you have". The one I have I enjoyed a lot! It's by no means RTR, but it was still fun.

Do I fought BF for the way they had two versions? No! It was up to us to be given the option of which to buy. If you want morhping and a few extra scenes by all means get the first one. If you don't care about the extras then get the cheaper one. In all, they all have the same story line - the same puzzles/mini games.

BF has been good to offer us games for $6.99 and the daily deals. Have we stop to think of the money we've saved and the fun we've had? We have to remember that they have to do what they do in order to make money. That's the reason they are in business. Not to please everyone, but they do a darn good job at trying most of the time to please our little qualms and making us happy.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 12, 09 10:58 PM
Since I see that my sole complaint (that we didn't know all the differences beforehand) has been acknowledged and won't happen again I figure I also need to say I'm happy again

Am downloading the C.E. so I can have my beloved morphs as we speak.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 6:52 AM
NONONONONO wrote:and for anyone who continues to beat a dead horse in this thread, they are also welcome to trust that we have all gotten the message..over and over and over and over....

And by returning to this thread YOU are continuing the beating of the dead horse. Why not take some responsibility for your own involvement in the discussion? The fact is you don't really want the discussion to end, that's why you come back and contribute to it. Let's all just get a little honest here now.

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on Dec 13, 09 6:54 AM
Hi Everyone and anyone from BFG,
I already left a comment here, and since this topic is still going strong I thought I'd ask where I might get an answer since so many people are here. It has nothing to do with Dire Straits.....um .... I mean Dire Grove.
It has to do with comments: Could someone please tell me if there is a way on this site to be notified via email that someone has responded to a forum topic after I posted a comment? I'm interested to read comments that have been written by others after I posted mine in the same topic. Which icon do I click on to trigger it when I add a comment?
Thanks alot everyone!

Edited on 12/13/2009 at 7:00:43 AM PST

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:10 AM
1LIR wrote:
Have we stop to think of the money we've saved and the fun we've had? We have to remember that they have to do what they do in order to make money. That's the reason they are in business. Not to please everyone, but they do a darn good job at trying most of the time to please our little qualms and making us happy.

I'm a customer and I do what is in my best interest, not the best interest of a company. I should never be expected to have their best interests at heart. They want money and I want a game I feel is worth what they're asking. In this case the two didn't match up for me, and no amount of trying to lay guilt trips is going to work. That's the way business works, it is give and take and each party must have their own best interests at heart.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:19 AM
Pepper010 wrote:MissAbby, NONO rock on! Great comments.

As for suggestions that people drop out of the thread if they don't like the comments--I believe that another poster has previously said very strongly, on many occasions, that people should NOT be told to go elsewhere if they don't like BFG. Therefore, it's illogical to tell people that they should go elsewhere than this thread if they don't agree with some comments.

I agree--after 2+weeks of the same comments,over many many threads, we are all very clear on various viewpoints and who's mad and why. Picman has graciously replied & I'm not sure what else can be done. I hope the Easter Bunny doesn't have to hop through the reruns of the same comments!

All in all it seems like you and many others are in here saying that no one should tell you not to come here and continue beating the dead horse, but that it's also not ok to beat the dead horse. How is it okay for you to beat the horse but not everyone else? How does that even make sense?

Complaining about complainers and complaints makes you a complainer complaining about complainers and complaints.

Simply put, it's hypocritical. Our reason to be in the thread (and others on this topic) is clear: to say what we don't like about this release. Your purpose in being here is to continually tell us how our opinion is wrong and should change and we should be thankful and grateful that the corporation deigns to make games for us.

I want as much as I can get for my money yet I'm being argued with as if BFG's interests are somehow more valid or important than my own. If you want to spend $100 on a BFG be my guest. I invite you to offer them gobs of money for each and every game you play based on your gratitude and wish for them to remain in business. I on the other hand will try to get whatever I can for as little as possible. That is the nature of business and BFG certainly understands that.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:25 AM
nwl43 wrote:I am stating my opinion here and am not attempting to sway anyone else from theirs. I believe the decision to offer the CE early was a good business decision by BFG. I probably wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that I wanted it right away(although now I am happy that I did. It was very enjoyable). I'll bet others did too. If BFG ceases to make good business decisions they will cease to exist. Then where will we get these great games?

The bottom line is they will make decisions based on what is good for their company. They probably did create some animosity with pre-marketing strategy and they have now addressed that. They will take a different approach if their customer base falls way off and their sales go down. That is just good business. The bottom line will be continued purchase of their product. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the posts on this forum pro or con represent the majority view. There are many who bought this game who will never post here. We are after all only a small pond, not the whole ocean.

I am concerned to see the posts stating that special games shouldn't be developed because it creates an elitist class and divides purchasers into have and have nots. Would anyone go to a car dealer or appliance store and demand that they stop carrying the deluxe model because some can't or won't pay the extra, based on the belief that everyone deserves the same thing? If I can't have it you shouldn't have it either. I think there is a name for that kind of system and I think we decided sometime ago we didn't wish to live with it.

What if they released the game even a month earlier for $50? Then there'd be those in the middle who'd probably be all bent out of shape about it as well. Or what if you had a super deluxe version for $65 that you could get 2 months in advance of the 6.99 version? If more money can be made this way, why not do it? Then those who wish to spend that much can do so, and those who don't can wait.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:29 AM
bricktop999 wrote:I just finished Dire Grove. 5 hours gameplay on the "harder" setting.
Not a bad game compared to the really weak other games around, but not that good either. Lacked the charm, quirkiness and puzzles of Ravenshurst, and looked to me that all the development money had been paid for a load of uninteresting actor video footage that simply slowed the game down and gave it no extra feel or atmosphere.

I paid the usual $6.99, If I had been daft enough to have stumped up the $20 I would be ready to claim a refund.

The MCF series are the best games at BFG by a long way in my opinion, but seems no doubt that quirky humour and charm is being sacrificed for extra production values. It is a game, the main thrust should be on game-play. I was stuck several times in Ravenshurst, yet the only "puzzle" in Dire that took more than a few mnutes was the truly bad "Blacksmith" puzzle, an exercise in repetition rather than puzzling.

Overall, dissapointing. If another MCF game came out I would prolly pay the $6.99 for it, mainly as there is nothing else at BFG worth buying, but i wouldnt rush to buy it. I feel MCF have lost their way, their core skills being diluted for the sake of attempted "realism".

Could have done without the entire video stuff since it wasn't really important to the whole thing.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:34 AM
MissAbby wrote:OH PLEASE JUST STOP (not directed at anyone)...it's a done deal! There are more important things to worry about on this earth than all this. You bought one, or you bought the other, or you didn't buy any. It's a game fishies, it's just a game. It's just a game..and I know I don't have to read these comments, but I have to scroll through the threads to get to something more important than this. Think about this..in a few weeks this will all be long past and there will be other things to post about. Hopefully more important things.
Abs

Your comment was directed at everyone. Have you thought that maybe coming here and telling people to "OH PLEASE JUST STOP" wasn't the most productive thing to do? You make it sound like oh it's just a game, it's not important, but you're here posting about it. If you don't have anything more important to think about, please don't judge the rest of us.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 13, 09 8:13 AM
polexia wrote:
nwl43 wrote:I am stating my opinion here and am not attempting to sway anyone else from theirs. I believe the decision to offer the CE early was a good business decision by BFG. I probably wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that I wanted it right away(although now I am happy that I did. It was very enjoyable). I'll bet others did too. If BFG ceases to make good business decisions they will cease to exist. Then where will we get these great games?

The bottom line is they will make decisions based on what is good for their company. They probably did create some animosity with pre-marketing strategy and they have now addressed that. They will take a different approach if their customer base falls way off and their sales go down. That is just good business. The bottom line will be continued purchase of their product. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the posts on this forum pro or con represent the majority view. There are many who bought this game who will never post here. We are after all only a small pond, not the whole ocean.

I am concerned to see the posts stating that special games shouldn't be developed because it creates an elitist class and divides purchasers into have and have nots. Would anyone go to a car dealer or appliance store and demand that they stop carrying the deluxe model because some can't or won't pay the extra, based on the belief that everyone deserves the same thing? If I can't have it you shouldn't have it either. I think there is a name for that kind of system and I think we decided sometime ago we didn't wish to live with it.

What if they released the game even a month earlier for $50? Then there'd be those in the middle who'd probably be all bent out of shape about it as well. Or what if you had a super deluxe version for $65 that you could get 2 months in advance of the 6.99 version? If more money can be made this way, why not do it? Then those who wish to spend that much can do so, and those who don't can wait.

My point exactly. Everyone gets to make their own choice including the company who developed the game.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 13, 09 8:29 AM
onetoomany, here's a nifty trick to track your thread discussions. Click on "my posts" to the right. Once you're at the list of your posts, just click on the post you're interested in, and it will take you to that thread, where you can then catch up.

I'm a bit perplexed by comments like "coming in here" which I see cropping up now and then. Do some threads "belong" to only certain people? As far as I know, BFG forums make all threads open to everyone.

I hope we're not evolving into gangs, 'hoods, don't come on my street corner! I'd hate to have to wear colors and a cap tilted askew or something.

Bottom line: anyone is free to disagree or agree with any post. Sooner or later, someone will see your post and reply. It's illogical to post something, giving your opinion (especially on a popular topic), and then expect that when people take the time to read your post (i.e. hear your concerns) that they then shouldn't have the right to reply. It's called a dialogue.

Perhaps someone might wish to suggest to BFG that they create a way to have private threads for those who would enjoy that feature. I personally enjoy the open set-up of the pond, but maybe not everyone does.

And, happy holidays, everyone!

vault07
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by vault07 on Dec 13, 09 8:33 AM
Mojave_Rain wrote:Since I see that my sole complaint (that we didn't know all the differences beforehand) has been acknowledged and won't happen again I figure I also need to say I'm happy again

Am downloading the C.E. so I can have my beloved morphs as we speak.

Cool! Diggin' your attitude, BTW!

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Dec 13, 09 8:35 AM
I have to chime in here.

Ok the CE is a good money making idea for a 'brick and mortar' type of environment. I'm all for a company making money and all, but when you have a community such as a forum and you release a CE, you create an environment of separationism!

It would be just like a teacher giving a few of the high society cheerleader types preferential treatment because of who they are and what they have. Would that be fair??? NO and YES that happens...

That is what has happened here. You have those who can't afford the CE asking why their game is different than the basic game in in the CE (all videos and wallpapers aside). Then you have the ones who bought it without a blink of an eye telling those asking questions to 'shut up and deal with it', or 'too bad so sad, sucks to be you' because they can afford too.

I guess if wanted to separate out it's customers and get rid of it's customer base who can only afford the $6.99 versions of games, it was a whoot of an idea.(sarcasm here) Yet you have those on a limited budget dealing with health issues that these games help them forget for awhile. I guess if you remove this customer base you can raise your prices again???

I think what it comes down to is fair and equal treatment of all customers. I mean you can have extras for extra money without watering down the game. You see the proper way to do the CE would have been as follows:

* Adding the video for getting all of the morphing objects(basic game buyers would have had an extra hog scene and a trophy or something.

* Add the wallpapapers.

* Add the soundtracks

* Add outtakes

BUT the basic gameplay should have stayed the same! The first idea is all a matter of one line of code to separate the CE from the Basic game.

So you see, a CE could have been accomplished without the hurt feelings....

Steps off soapbox now!

C

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 13, 09 8:35 AM
Vault, Rain rocks!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 13, 09 8:50 AM
lilprincess, no one is telling you or anyone else "too bad, it must suck to be you." Not at all.

As for hauling in health issues for this discussion--I happen to be one of the people who has serious health issues and who uses the games for relaxation. Frankly, I kind of resent being used to make a point that has nothing to do with a basic reality: all free market businesses have price points. What, you think QVC, which has forums, and a large devoted customer/fan base, shouldn't have different prices and options?

The key here is free market. My car is acting up. I'd love to have a new one. Can't afford it right now, even though I know what I want. If I got money saved up and went to the dealer, I would NOT be insulted or feel slighted because there are diffferent models with different options.

No one is telling anyone that they are lesser because of what they choose to buy. If you genuinely believe that BFG doesn't want people who only will buy $6.99 games, write to Picman and tell him that. But I'll point out--because BFG's marketing strategy centers on the $6.99, and the $6.99 monthly credit is a basic here, it's pretty hard to get me to believe that BFG doesn't want $6.99 customers.

In fact, they want the $2.99 customers. I just bought a DD. Does that make me "lesser?" No. My choice.

To turn a product into an indication of a social issue, and believe that some people aren't "wanted" by BFG to me is moving the issue well beyond product discussion.

BFG has said that it will look at its wording for future CE's. That's a good company reply, IMHO.

Despite what some posters keep saying, Princess, no one is trying to demean you by having a different opinion. This is NOT a major issue about class-ism! It's just a company selling products, and luckily, it's a company that provides us a way to have constant feedback and they dialogue with us.

Are there some things I'd like to change about the CE? Sure thing. If I decide they're important enough, I'll write CS with those comments.

The game has been produced and is being sold. Given its complexity, I doubt there's any way to stop work on other products and go back in and start tweaking it to meet individual poster's desires--as another poster said, a la carte!

Everyone here is equal, regardless of what they buy or don't buy.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 13, 09 9:01 AM
p.s. (And Polexia and Sillyfeet are going to love this post, wink! here, have some chocolate!)

I've got 2 books to write, and my time off that my wonderful boss (moi) graciously has given me is now being trimmed by my boss (that horrid person who decided that there's been enough vacation time!) who wants me to get back to work.

So, I'm outta this discussion.

And to all: Happy Holidays, sincerely, and I mean all.

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Dec 13, 09 10:18 AM
polexia wrote:

And by returning to this thread YOU are continuing the beating of the dead horse. Why not take some responsibility for your own involvement in the discussion? The fact is you don't really want the discussion to end, that's why you come back and contribute to it. Let's all just get a little honest here now.

honest..ok, I honestly think you may need a chill pill.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 13, 09 10:50 AM
lilprincessred13...a super to you. You have hit the nail exactly on the head!!! And everything you said is right on the money.

Go to: