Senior Citizens sign in!!

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Jan 31, 18 12:40 PM
Have a great holiday Snowman! No Miami here yet either so it seems really random!

GamingGrampa
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by GamingGrampa on Jan 31, 18 3:06 PM
Enjoy your trip snowmanvt, catch you when you get back! Hey trav, did you get my PM about New Delhi? And no Miami here yet either!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 18 3:11 PM
Very strange how sometimes I'm first to get an iOS update and other times I'm last.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 31, 18 8:25 PM
Am back yet again at a McDonald's for wifi as no internet at home still, this is SOOOOO frustrating. I can only do so much in the limited time I have here, so have not been able to have time to check levels to try to help anyone, but will get back into that when back to normal. At least I managed to get Miami on board but less than half the cities updated, so can't ship from all, but things could be worse. One thing that's totally weird, is my times have changed for the daily event. last night, I completed the one for yesterday, with great difficulty, as it was in Barcelona, of all places, but I was determined to do it and not let it defeat me. Came down to one last timed level and it was a doosie. Anyway, when I got it out eventually, it was well after midnight, and it was still telling me I had another 5 hours to complete it. Weird as it's always finished and restarted at midnight before, but it's now mid afternoon and still no fresh daily event. Other times are mixed up too, it told me the Everest challenge had 20 hours to go when I know for sure it should be ending soon here, only got to do the last level as not had time yet, will do it then play later. Is anyone else having issues with the daily event times being altered since this last update????

Droppie47
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Droppie47 on Jan 31, 18 9:38 PM
I'm still waiting on the new update of Miami (Feb. 1st, 06.38 a.m.). One of my friends has allready finished it !!! Ridiculous we have to wait so long for it to get it. Wish it was different. anyway, happy gaming to all of you.... :-)

Pavanne
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Pavanne on Feb 1, 18 12:30 AM
I downloaded the Miami update on my iPhone 36 hours ago but it’s still not available for iPad. Each new update seems to work differently - I guess it keeps us seniors on our toes.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Feb 1, 18 3:05 AM
The update I did a few days ago that included Miami, is on iPad (IOS) so it's there for some. Or maybe it's the region I am in?

And Droppie47, wow if your friend gets through cities that fast, they must be even more bored between them than it can be for most waiting for the next one. Unless they only play it when there's a new city and never in between. I once finished a city in under 3 days, but that was back when there were plenty more and they were being released quicker than they are now. I figure these days especially while playing a new city, it's worth going very slowly so you can take part in the marathons etc. it helps to make it a bit more exciting getting unlimited lives to use in older cities to finish off undone levels. But we all play it differently.

Pavanne
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Pavanne on Feb 1, 18 4:03 AM
Thanks for the update info Jules. There’s often been a gap between iPad and iPhone updates but never before as long as this. I’m in the UK and we’re not usually in the first areas to get updates.

Droppie47
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Droppie47 on Feb 1, 18 4:09 AM
My friend got the update a few days back (so I’m told). So a couple of days playing the city is not that bad or too fast. And indeed, everyone plays their own game.

I myself, don’t need much time either to finish off a city. Usually also fast. There are reasons for it, some people are stuck at home and have a lot of time to play......

After I’ve finished the first levels I just go back to earn some coins, lol

BTW. I still haven’t received the update yet.... Europe timezone 13.09 p.m., febr 1st

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Feb 1, 18 4:56 AM
In the past all updates to GD have happened automatically. This time I had to download manually and, for the first time ever, GD failed to load following the update. I restarted the tablet but that didn't fix it so I had to delete and reinstall.

Auto download of all cities on wifi is something of a double edged sword. It's certainly useful for cities you want to move resources from but GD is now becoming massive. About 1.75 Gb, with the vast majority of that not transferable to SD card. I don't understand why data has to be stored on the device.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 1, 18 6:29 AM
Every new city adds new art and new levels. The level files are likely small and if we were content to only play online they could be kept on a server and downloaded as needed either singly or when you open a city. Doing that with the art would drive me bats, and art files are likely the majority of the data that we download for a city.

Apple restricts the size of the install file from the App Store, so games with a lot of content download the extra files after installation or updating.

I for one prefer to keep the ability to play offline. If you are short on room for the data, you should consider turning off the auto download, and decide which cities you are just going to ignore so they won't clutter your data space.

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Feb 1, 18 11:37 AM
No update here - New Zealand 8.30am 2nd Feb. oh well, back to trying to finish off Paris 100%!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Feb 1, 18 3:04 PM
Still having massive issues since last update, it's just not working properly. Times for daily events are mucked up, I ship from cities, it tells me on the tab it's 4 hrs to go and counts down normally, but doesn't arrive when notification tells me it's arrived from a city, open Miami, no resources arrive, check tab, all gone. I got some of the resources I sent last night, took more than 10 hrs for some to arrive but others disappeared. Eventually got all cities updated at McDonald's wifi last night, was a HUGE pain to do it. I will report to tech help as soon as I can, but am I the only one noticing these glitches?

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Feb 1, 18 5:25 PM
Yes, this has probably already been posted but I can’t find it anywhere. What is the significance of the white birds (cranes?) flying across the bottom of Moscow? (Yes, I hit up google, too.)

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 1, 18 6:11 PM
kailuaauntie wrote:Yes, this has probably already been posted but I can’t find it anywhere. What is the significance of the white birds (cranes?) flying across the bottom of Moscow? (Yes, I hit up google, too.)

Guessing here: the theme for Moscow was Russian folk tales if I remember correctly. There's one story about young women who were changed into swans by some witch or something.

Or possibly it's a reference to Swan Lake, the ballet.

And look, seniors thread is broken again.....

Edited on 02/01/2018 at 6:15:16 PM PST

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Feb 1, 18 6:14 PM
Yep, showing as page 102 but you can’t open it! I have posted in the te h problems thread to see if they will look at it! Still no Miami down here...

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Feb 1, 18 6:49 PM
hooray, got internet back at home. at last! so much more convenient to look at stuff at home rather than constantly keep going out with my ipad to get internet. I can't work out why you haven't got the update yet Trav3lbird, you are surely in the same region as Australia for updates? NZ isn't that far away from us. Is there anyone else on here in Australia that hasn't got the update yet? Maybe I fluked it?

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 1, 18 7:21 PM
Yay for Internet! I recall one time about ten years ago when my internet went out on a Friday morning and the ISP didn't get it fixed until Monday. And I telecommute so I had to take a laptop to the public library to even check email using their wifi. I remember sitting on the sidewalk right outside the library while it was closed a couple of times that weekend to check for messages too.

These days I have fallback plans. Two ISPs, so went one goes down I switch the cable on my work desktop to the other router. And if the power goes out, I can use cellular on my iPad.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Feb 1, 18 10:24 PM
You sound like you have a really good back up plan lordkalvan, you must be very well organised. But then, if technology was your type of occupation, then that would make sense. I look back at when we first got the internet and were on dial up, gosh, how primitive that seems now. I could never go back to that again. I could not make or get phone calls whilst on the computer, it was such a pain, but what a long way we have come in the world of technology. I was watching the movie Hidden Figures again the other week, it shows the big IBM 'computer' being installed in a room in NASA headquarters, GOSH, how foreign and outdated that was, but at that time, it was incredibly modern and flash. Now, we fit more on a tiny chip than ever you could do with that massive machine that filled a room. Its really incredible to think of the changes that have happened in such a relatively short period of time. And the kids of today, have no idea what it was to live without even the most basic bit of technology, even phones etc.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Feb 2, 18 1:02 AM
I'm getting 'Gummy Drop has stopped working' messages on a regular basis since the update. Thankfully so far it always seems to happen either as GD is loading or when a level has just been completed and I haven't lost any lives or resources due to the problems. Very annoying though.
No recurrence so far of being unable to load GD at all and being required to clear data to recover. I have disabled auto download as I suspect there may be an issue of some kind there causing the failure.

Go to: