bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 18, 12 12:18 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Otherworld: Spring of Shadows? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Otherworld: Spring of Shadows page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 18, 12 12:37 AM
This is, in part, and edited for this version, what I said about this outstanding game from my personal #1 developer----Boomzap:

From Boomzap----the makers of the Awakening games, Dana Knightstone games, and Antique Road Trip games (so you know the quality will be of the highest order)----comes this fantastic offering.
I played the full hour but didn't get very far as I was so taken with the beautiful, excellently done scenery that I found myself just gaping at the magnificent blend of color and artistry on display.
The gameplay itself is very smooth and just flows in such a manner as to take you completely and immediately into the story.
Adding to the beauty of this game is the fact that it opens in widescreen----a big plus that seems to be lost to many other developers.
Full of interesting puzzles that seem to be easy enough.
There are several achievements (22 I think) to strive for which adds to the fun (for me, anyway)
This game is a must have for me, and sets a standard of sorts as to just how high the bar can be set, and absolutely leaves certain other developers in the dust of repetition and resting on their older achievements of their same old-same old style games.
This one shows the way (so far) for 2012.
Congrats to the developer for this superb game.

Hey mods----since this game had such a big response in the CE version, maybe a link to that review thread could be provided here? Just a suggestion.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 18, 12 12:50 AM
I omitted any information about bonus material in my comment above because this game will easily stand alone as a SE----well worth the sale price this weekend (or a coupon)!
Also, I am impressed that this developer not only came to the forums to interact with all the gamers (see CE forum), but even created their own thread to thank all the gamers for their interest and comments. This shows their pride in this excellent game and their concern for their customers. Kudos to Boomzap!
As a SE (or a CE) this game is a winner----kept my interest all the way through.
At the very least, avail yourself of the free trial.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 18, 12 1:09 AM
Good morning fishies.

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in casual mode, so just ignore the part about the bonus game:

This is a Boomzap game !! (yayyy)

There are 6 chapters and the Epilogue (bonus game).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen. (yayyy)

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a journal that shows you your goals, follows your story, and gives you other informations.

There is a "Checkmark" above the journal which, when you click on it, tells you what to do next - only available in "casual mode".

There is a MAP, which will appear sometimes in chapter 2.
You will need this map to get to the other places, you can't get there on foot.

The HINT button, which also works outside of HOS, is a question mark at the right. Just below that is the GUIDE.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons take a while to fill. I believe it takes about 1 minute for the HINT button to fill - and this is in casual mode.

There is voice-over, from time to time.

There are achievements, one of which is to collect 60 little fairies.

--- --- ---

I love Boomzap games, and once again, this was a definite buy for me.

The colours and graphics are wonderful, and gameplay is fun fun fun, and entertaining.

Of course, this being a Boomzap game, this won't be your usual HOG (hidden object game), but more of a Puzzle/Adventure game with a few HOS (hidden object scenes) thrown in - HOS being mainly of the "find 10 of these and 20 of those" variety, with the odd fractured objects scene.

This game took me a massive 6 hours and 45 minutes to play, and I took 1 1/2 hours for the bonus game.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Feb 18, 12 7:02 AM
This is a breathtakingly beautiful game from BoomZap; when you first arrive at the house you have just bought the garden is stunningly pretty but that soon turns to a nightmare world. The daughter of the former owners has been pulled into this world by an eyeless entity called the Shade, it is definitely a creature of your worst dreams. An amulet you find allows you to see both the good & evil of this place & as ever, it gives the BoomZap artists a wonderful arena to showcase their work, each chapter has a different mood in its visuals as you move out of the garden.

Your job is to prevent the Shade from blighting the world with eternal winter. This is a fairy-tale game that pulls you in effortlessly, there are a lot of puzzles to solve before you even get to your first hidden object scene. They are varied & most are not too difficult to solve with a little thought & logic. The H0 scenes range from ‘collect 20 flowers’ to the usual word lists to finding pieces to put together to matching pairs.

There are three modes of play; casual with a 90 second hint recharge & a little ‘tick’ that if you click tells you what task to complete. Expert with a 2 minute hint & Hardcore, no hint, no skip button & no help whatsoever for the brave of heart.

You get a journal which has a task list, the general story as you go along & a list of the cast of characters as you meet them. There are no voiceovers except in the cutscenes & the music is lovely; it changes for each chapter of the game. In Chapter 2 you will find an interactive map to make it easier to transverse the scenes.

There are achievement awards & you have 60 fairies to collect along the way. This is one of the longest SE games I have played; it took me more than 6 hours to finish. I tried very hard not to use a hint & I didn't use any skip buttons.

Boomzap really do excel at these fairy tale games & their graphics & artwork get more stunning with each game they produce.

Edited on 02/18/2012 at 7:33:08 AM PST

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 18, 12 8:17 AM
I did not care for this game at all. Most of the scenes were nice to look at, however I am not a fan of fairies and fairytale creatures. I honestly tried to like this game but became very bored with it. It did not hold my attention and I wound up deleting. A few of the mini games were enjoyable but thats about it, definitly a no buy here.

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Feb 18, 12 8:56 AM
Well, since I and others have encountered the tile "glitch" in the CE version I was hoping that the regular version wouldn't have it. WRONG!!! Game developer - HELP!!!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Feb 18, 12 9:20 AM
When I played the CE version of this game, I was very disappointed that so far in the demo, there aren't any traditional hog scenes. I'm an avid hog fan, but had decided I would probably purchase this game when it came out as an SE. I've been branching out into adventure/story heavy games lately; i.e., Azada in Libro. Even if you are a heavy hog fan, I think you will enjoy this game anyway. The artistry is great and very colorful. I think whimsical games are a wonderful change from all of the doom and gloom, monsters, car crashes, etc. that seem to be all the devs are putting out these days. And with the sale this weekend, you really can't go wrong trying something new. Well, I'm off to purchase this game.......now I just need one more good SE to fill my punch card before the end of the month. ENJOY.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 18, 12 9:25 AM
I played the Demo in the CE, I had it on my wish list, I just bought the SE and on the presidents sale, what a bargain for a beautiful well made game, the graphics are breath taking, the game is not your classic HOscenes, the story line is very nice the music didn't bother me at all.

I am glad I waited for the SE and on sale.

Love this game.

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Feb 18, 12 9:31 AM
cbtx wrote:I omitted any information about bonus material in my comment above because this game will easily stand alone as a SE----well worth the sale price this weekend (or a coupon)!
Also, I am impressed that this developer not only came to the forums to interact with all the gamers (see CE forum), but even created their own thread to thank all the gamers for their interest and comments. This shows their pride in this excellent game and their concern for their customers. Kudos to Boomzap!
As a SE (or a CE) this game is a winner----kept my interest all the way through.
At the very least, avail yourself of the free trial.

Thanks for the information about this being a stand-alone game, in relation to the Collector's Edition bonus material . . .

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Feb 18, 12 11:19 AM
The game has beautiful graphics, reminds me of a Thomas Kincaide painting. The storyline is engaging. But I am so disappointed that this game does not fill my screen - it goes across my monitor, but I have black bars top and bottom of screen. I decreased my screen resolution from the recommended 1920 by 1080 down to 1600 X 900, but still have black bars top and bottom. So disappointed, this never happens with games from other developers. It really diminished the game enjoyment for me.

Edited on 02/18/2012 at 12:04:42 PM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Feb 18, 12 12:31 PM
I bought the CE, which is very unusual for me. I bought it because I am sick of junk pile HOGS and this one is different. There is only one regular HOG scene where you find items from a list.

I love the graphics, the story and the whole concept. The games are not so difficult that you can't do them and if you can't or don't wish to, there is a convenient "skip".

While the game is relatively easy, it is also fun. Who says easy things aren't fun... it isn't so easy that it bores you but just easy enough to be fun and not frustrating.

One WARNING: When you get to cutting out the shapes for the strained glass window and you can't.... just click all around the lines with your mouse and it will work. I learned the hard way.

I am on the last chapter and I am playing it slowly... there aren't many games out there that I like so when it's over... <sniff> it's back to playing solitaire until another different one comes out.

When I review the "Today's Game" and I see a list of items to find in a junk pile I don't even demo it. So my type of games are far and few between. Hope the game developers take note because there are many, like me, sick of run of the mill HOGS>

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Feb 18, 12 12:34 PM
When I went to post I got the indefinite hour glass and thought the post fell into the black hole so posted again and then there were two... so this is the one I removed.

Have fun with the game.

Edited on 02/18/2012 at 12:36:49 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 18, 12 12:43 PM
This is a great game. I haven`t bought the CE, but as the SE its a definete buy for me

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Feb 18, 12 4:03 PM
I didn't care for the game for this reason: Not enough information to procede. I could not find the ancient knife anywhere in the house, nor the key for upstairs. The hint button was no help for this problem. Lots of running around, lots to do, but one can only get part way through, and off to find another game piece.
I like the developer, and have many of their games, but this one left me bored.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 18, 12 4:51 PM
Not as good a game as the others from this developer, and I have them all, but I like it. Actually, after playing the SE, I seem to like it more than when I first played the CE...weird. The only thing I really don't like about this game is the hint system. Not very helpful. Graphics very nice, game play nice, music gets a bit annoying after awhile but I could turn it off if I wanted. I will save my credits and take advantage of the big sale to purchase this game. Thanks for the reviews.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Feb 19, 12 10:20 AM
My review of this game based on the CE version was not very favorable as the game appeared to have creatures from the underworld and occult in nature. After being coaxed by several friends I agreed to try the SE version and to purchase the game and play beyond the initial demo. Although I am not fond of a couple of the depicted creatures - I have come to find them more story-tale then occult. So this review is based on actually playing six hours of the SE!

The game is amazing and we've not had to use the walk through or hints at all. Very intuitive with some special twists. I loved the Hobgoblin - poor thing was so ugly he was cute. The graphics and scenes are incredibly beautiful and I am still enthralled with the coy pond graphics - so peaceful and calming. The game and storyline are wonderfully creative and not the ho hum boring same old same old! The mini games are challenging but not so much that you can't figure them out. My 86 year old mother has been playing with me and is enchanted as well and boy is she quick with solving some of the puzzles. Even the 2 "dead" people weren't gruesomely done - a huge thank you. I found the music to be calming.

Thank you for such a wonderful game at an incredible price - if the ending is as good as the rest of the game we will probably exchange it for the CE and have another hour of play. Thank you to all of those who convinced me to give it another try!

kfitzzy
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by kfitzzy on Feb 19, 12 3:30 PM
Between not getting new games and now I am having trouble with the game not being able to get the last tile on the HOS in the hallway upstairs. I am thinking of dropping out of BIGFISH altogether. I was having touble with another game last month it was the "the Three Musketeers Secrets: Contance's Mission" I asked for help getting through an area that most others were having trouble with we got no help... I finally when to help and asked for my credit back they gave it to me, I would have rather played the game. they need to make sure these games work before we get it.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 20, 12 3:07 AM
This is my review of the CE back on January which I have (copy and paste) from the forum.
[Post New]by laraly on Jan 26, 12 2:39 AM
Fantastic game! I am right now at chapter 5 (the sanctuary), which so far, is my favorite, together with the 1st chapter (the missing girl).
I found the puzzles easier than usual, except for a couple ones during which I lost my patience, and the explanations in the strategy guide were blunt!!!!???What???The good thing, though, about the S G, is that it opens exactly on the page you are in the game, so no search, at least!
What else can I say? You're sayed all, already, to me is a 5 !!!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Feb 20, 12 11:41 AM
it!! Great graphics & game play!!

Go to: