shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for The Scruffs: Return of the Duke

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Feb 20, 12 12:50 AM
Just starting a comments thread on my way out of the forums. I will be back to check on opinions.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for The Scruffs: Return of the Duke

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 20, 12 1:21 AM
Good morning, Shadowfax...

Unfortunately, the widescreen option is not working for me. And I mean, that part doesn't highlight for me to click it. So there is that.

Then, I am not too keen on the graphics. There is that.

And then, this seems to be pretty much a straight HOG. So there is that too.

Oh, and I don't care for the HINT system, where I have to try and find the HO the dog wants me to find. There is that as well.

I like Sudoku, so that was fun. But on the whole it's not for me. Didn't care for the first game either.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 1:22:49 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Feb 20, 12 1:35 AM
Thanks for getting this one up and running, Shadow!

Been waiting for this one for a long time, have we? (Guess I shouldn't generalize there, huh?) Well, T/Y, BFG, for releasing it during the President's Day sale!

The Scruffs once again have given me a welcome break from the seriousness of so many other games (which I do enjoy, BTW). Instead of the (sickeningly-sweet, almost too cute) characters from the "Rabbit Ears" folks, we get some hilarious, "bug-eyed" family members who have great senses of humor!

(No review here--just some thoughts)--

**Great Intro, w/perfect British voice acting (carries over into the main game)
**Solid Options Menu--three soundtrack sliders, cursor choice, two gameplay modes
**Love the cartoon-style graphics--very colorful
**The H0 scenes are challenging, but fair; Scruff, the "Hint" dog, gets more excited the closer you get to an item (like "Hot" vs. "Cold"); some item interaction that i could see; some individual item lists, some "find 12 of ..."
**Neat list of tasks (that get crossed off as you accomplish them)--lower left

**Fun storyline--Grandpa returns after 30 years to reclaim the "Scrufford" estate, but is confronted by a nefarious guy who vows to take the property and the title of Duke--the H0PA begins!

I bought this after about 10 minutes into the demo--probably didn't even need to demo it--I knew it'd be a "keeper"!

Regards, elldee

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 6:03:04 PM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Feb 20, 12 1:40 AM
Good morning Shadowfax and Valdy. I rather like this game, but then I like the light hearted fun games once in awhile. Using the dog to help you find something can be a bit frustrating, but not so much that I felt I had to quit. In fact I went ahead and bought the game. Never could pass up a sale. lol

Happy gaming to everyone and have a good day.

Joy

[Post New]by heatherington on Feb 20, 12 1:42 AM
It is not just a straight HOG. There are things to do. Right now I am stuck trying to help a little creature and I can say it is quite challenging and I'm going to have to check out the blog walkthrough for help. Other than that I'm not saying what is happening. I love it and have just bought it.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 1:42:33 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 20, 12 1:42 AM
equusjoy wrote:Good morning Shadowfax and Valdy. I rather like this game, but then I like the light hearted fun games once in awhile. Using the dog to help you find something can be a bit frustrating, but not so much that I felt I had to quit. In fact I went ahead and bought the game. Never could pass up a sale. lol

Happy gaming to everyone and have a good day.

Joy

Morning, equusjoy...

Well, not everyone has the same taste, and that is good, otherwise it will be a boring world.

BTW, forgot to mention that there is a WALKTHROUGH included in the game, which you can find when you click on EXTRAS.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 20, 12 2:48 AM
I'm the one (of many) always begging for lite hearted fun games. I even like well drawn cartoons and lots of color. Well, is this my last sale game?

All of the above negs by Valdy. Why even ask me in Options if I have a wide screen, then grey it out so I can't say yes?!? Poor relations with the dev right there. Then why does the first cut screen open in full wide and tease me on, then the game itself reduces with black side bars. Then next cut scene is back to wide?

I'm used to BIG enough or clearly defined enough to see. Not these blured out miniatures. I think Scruffy even had a time finding the area for me, I don't think he can see them either or he'd point, like he can just sniff around and well, he knows we are close.

So, then I realized why I wasn't gleefull seeing this TGT, brought back memory why I detested the first one. Except not only tiny invisible objects then, those bratty kids got on my nerves and their bonus minis, oh forget it.

Valdy's only + didn't salvage it for me, Sudoku or any math quiz is a total wipe as soon as the Skip fills up wasting more demo time. That pushed me back over to hit Buy on a different undecided SE on this sale. IT HAS WIDE SCREEN without even asking and clear graphics. OK, not the color as Scruffs, all blue snow scenes (Mountain of Madness I postponed for months til the next sale) It's not even my genre exactly, more adventure, but great hint system. No math so far on demo but outdoor scenes counterbalance the horror stuff. Oh yeh, red blood on frozen bodies.

I so want to play and enjoy this game but got eye strain before demo timed out. Oh, maybe that is a plus, the game itself isn't timed. And the small cut scenes within scenes were lovely, interaction, clear, color, then back to squinting. It's a toss up, invest in a new big big monitor or get thick glasses?

Have fun if you can see this game. Maybe a DD someday with the WT for me but not now. (I did appreciate the humor and accents, liked the Indian guru and the Italian voiceovers.

Sorry devs, next time give me the same art in locations as in those lovely cut ones, I hated to even close them.

I got Vacation Quest Australia on a pcc and I guess I expect other new HOS to be like that, something to really seek and see on a small monitor when in the mood for HO

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 3:05:48 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 20, 12 3:52 AM
Puzzledone... love your wit and humour. Great comment.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 20, 12 4:38 AM
This game is a hoot! This became even more apparent in Chapter 4. At first I thought it was another kid's game, but I was ok with that.

Then I came across the Grolly and his dolly and his very Jim Careyish antics (The Mask). Finally, when he put up the Do Not Disturb sign, that I found a little "disturbing". So now I'm not sure if it's not more a satirical game for adults after all.

The Irish parlourmaid! Hilarious.

Can't wait to see what else is in store.

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 12:11:43 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 20, 12 5:37 AM
Sheerija wrote:This game is a hoot! This became even more apparent in Chapter 4. At first I thought it was another kid's game, but I was ok with that.

Then I came across the Grolly and his dolly and his very Jim Careyish antics (The Mask). Finally, when he put up the Do Not Disturb sign, that I found that a little "disturbing". So now I'm not sure if it's not more a satirical game for adults after all.

I didn't see nothing wrong at all with the Do Not Disturb Sign. You wouldn't want people coming over if you want to be alone with your hubby or wife. The Grolly didn't know it wasn't a doll, so he wanted to be alone with his mate. I thought it was cute.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 6:12:32 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 20, 12 6:26 AM
Sassylassie,

Honey, I didn't either! I was just being droll. That's why I wrote "disturbing" in quotation marks. It IS cute and I love it. I guess it didn't come across properly. No-one could really be disturbed by such a delightful and funny game. Of course it's fine for kids to play.

Even if it is slightly on the satirical side, which I am not too sure off, there's nothing wrong with satire. It's just that it would be lost on children, that's all.

Is that clearer? Perhaps I'm not very articulate today. Monday, you know.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 20, 12 6:44 AM
I think this game is as much of a hoot as yesterdays game. What fun. Some of the hidden objects are on the smallish side, so a good excuse to click on Scruffy (ya gotta love him). The graphics are nice and clear. There is interaction, and the puzzles so far are fun. I'm enjoying myself so this is a definite buy for me.

I had to adjust my screen resolution to get full screen to eliminate the black bars, something I seldom have to do.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 7:14:49 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Feb 20, 12 11:26 AM
Have to agree, I'm enjoying this game as well as
yesterday's and will be buying.

Since I'd never tried the first in the series, went ahead
and DL the demo for it. Unfortunetly, only got about
30 minutes in and my eyes just hurt. Was able to find
most items, but graphics just too fuzzy for me to
handle.

Since I won't be getting the first one, I hope this one
stands on its own and I'm not missing too much by
skipping the original.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 20, 12 11:47 AM
Thanks Valdy. Always look for your reviews and comments.

This game I LOVE. it's so fun fun fun fun.
I love the characters. It brings out the kid in me. haha. I don't ever listen to story lines or voice overs but am over the moon with this one. Sure puts a smile on my face. Love all of the characters. Did not take me long to snap it up!
Thanks BigFish and developers for a lovely game, very well done. Well, have to go but can't wait to play later.

Also, great games offered for the sale. Thank you.!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 20, 12 12:25 PM
biomix wrote:Thanks Valdy. Always look for your reviews and comments.

This game I LOVE. it's so fun fun fun fun.
I love the characters. It brings out the kid in me. haha. I don't ever listen to story lines or voice overs but am over the moon with this one. Sure puts a smile on my face. Love all of the characters. Did not take me long to snap it up!
Thanks BigFish and developers for a lovely game, very well done. Well, have to go but can't wait to play later.

Also, great games offered for the sale. Thank you.!

Well, it looks like I was one of the very very few who didn't care for this game. But am glad you, and others do enjoy it AND are able to get it in the sale.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 20, 12 10:43 PM
I am loving the humor in this one...and I didn't expect to like the game based on people's beta reviews. But I love those unexpected bits. The music and other sound effects are annoying though. But the game has kept me going until I got stuck. I didn't do things in the same order as the guide, either, but haven't had a problem up to now...with that gear shifting.

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
932 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Feb 21, 12 1:04 PM
Sheerija wrote:This game is a hoot! This became even more apparent in Chapter 4. At first I thought it was another kid's game, but I was ok with that.

Then I came across the Grolly and his dolly and his very Jim Careyish antics (The Mask). Finally, when he put up the Do Not Disturb sign, that I found that a little "disturbing". So now I'm not sure if it's not more a satirical game for adults after all.

I totally agree. I was LOL many times. I just wish I hadn't run into the wall I did, see polishing cloth thread.

When Scruffy comes back from playing frisbee...
Winston the regal dog...

lornaovenden1
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lornaovenden1 on Feb 22, 12 11:00 AM
what a crap game

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Feb 22, 12 3:13 PM

I agree................I have laughed out loud at some of these antics, especially the Maid............too funny. It just gets better and I only do one chapter at a time because I don't want it to end. Need more laughter these days.

Joy

jenaBoo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by jenaBoo on Feb 22, 12 5:17 PM
HELP!!! i had the polishing cloth, then poof, gone, i did things in a different order without the walkthrough, i went to look ta it and saw my order was different, but now i cant polish stinkin silver.. what do i do? please hurry as i wanna finish it, so frustrating!!??
will no one help me??? please??? i love this game!

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 4:44:51 AM PST

Go to: