bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for American Pickers: The Road Less Traveled

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 22, 12 12:21 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of American Pickers: The Road Less Traveled? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the American Pickers: The Road Less Traveled page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for American Pickers: The Road Less Traveled

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 22, 12 12:23 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Edited on 02/22/2012 at 12:25:16 AM PST

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Feb 22, 12 1:27 AM
This is based on 30 mins of my hour time. It seems like a straight HOG to me. Unlike the other Picker game that came out a few months ago, you go around clearing hidden object scenes, you buy stuff at SET prices and are not able to debate the price, and then return to the shop where they tell you what your profit was. I've played the first three scenes only and will finish the rest of the demo time when I wake tomorrow. I was certainly hoping it would have been more interactive like the other game where you debate prices and set the prices to sell the items at or go to auction.

Another difference, which is good about THIS game, is that there are two or more scenes at each location.

It fills my widescreen, there are options for music, sound effects and fullscreen. Hint recharges quickly, there are some voiceovers and other dialogue you read. Sense of humor just like the show.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 22, 12 2:12 AM
Too boring for words. Well, just one really:-

Ugh!

[Post New]by xander32839 on Feb 22, 12 2:33 AM
I absolutely LOVED the first Pickers. I nearly bought this game without trying it first - I'm glad I decided to demo it.

It's really not too bad, but it is not at all like the Pickers: Adventures in Rust. I played the full hour demo, hoping to see some improvement or challenge - none appeared.

The game is a simple HOG. You go to various scenes (each has additional scenes which open from within it), find a list of items (mostly easy to find), find a "secret item" (with a hot/cold hint), buy items (for a set price), then return to home base where they tell you how much profit you made from your purchases.

The only bartering I encountered was buying an "ice-breaker" first so the seller would lower prices on other items. Some of the remaining items could be bundled to lower the "bulk" price. Yet, I made a large profit automatically on EVERY item.

Further into the game, you are offered "trade deals" for Legendary items. A seller will offer you a special item if you deliver what he/she wants. Still no challenge because these items appear in your object list at one of the other locations. You simply return to the original seller and click Trade to receive your bonus - and earn even more money. If you follow the same routine at each location, you'll have more than enough cash to buy everything you find. There are no combined items, bartering, or auctions in this game (unless they appear after the first hour of play).

The graphics are pretty good. The sound effects were irritating after a while, as was the music. Both have options to turn down or off. (I DID find the music catchy at first, but the endless loop eventually became tiresome.) With all the marked locations on the map, multiple scenes at each location, and a few trips back to each, the game length should be great.

I really wanted to like this game and I hope that other fishies will provide more information about the after-demo game. Until then, it's a no-buy for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 22, 12 3:13 AM
I have tried this game, but didn`t liked it really much. The graphic is good, but for me it isn`t much fun only searching for items scene after scene. For me its a no buy.

[Post New]by heatherington on Feb 22, 12 4:31 AM
This is a no buy for me also. I don't like to be bothered in my hidden object scenes and there was no skip to the tutorial. I was forced to do things their way and I like to do things my way. I think a game should be fun not a chore. I don't like buying and selling stuff. Just let me have a little hog and a little adventure, a little mystery and a lot of fun.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Feb 22, 12 4:56 AM

Edited on 02/22/2012 at 9:51:55 AM PST

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Feb 22, 12 5:02 AM
This game seems like a just too easy straight find the objects. I do not even like the tv program and then I have to pay to play a game of it? Nope, but thanks anyway!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 22, 12 5:29 AM
I played the demo, is no buy for me, this game have not adventure or really a story to it, ( I am attracted to those type of games,) just HOscenes.

I tried the first one in the series but passed on that one also.

The graphics are OK, you really do not need to be challenged with this straight HO game as is just that a hidden object game.

The voices were OK, they didn't annoy me at all.

I do not watch TV shows that have this type of theme either so I can not really compare.

This game will be great for anybody that likes games that are into finding objects and nothing else.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 22, 12 6:02 AM
This is pretty much a straight HOG but with the suggestions of it being more. It's really not anything more as they do everything for you with regard to selling/trading. It would seem the devs have gone down hill from the first game. If you're into straight HOGs then this is a game for you but my personal preference is a game with a little (or a lot) of everything mixed in. There are a lot of older and better straight HOGs in my own opinion and this game should be named The Road WELL Travelled. Oh and I don't like the mix of some voice over and then some dialogue you have to read. Make your mind up devs!

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Feb 22, 12 7:08 AM
I need a good story line to go along with the HOGs. This one does not have one for me. I have watch American Pickers but a little of the program goes along way. I will have to pass on this one.

[Post New]by sjsullivan on Feb 22, 12 7:59 AM
Why are some of the objects so, so tiny that one needs a high powered magnifying glass to find them?!?!?!?!?!? And I can't figure out how to unlock other states besides Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Virginia, New York. Not really an interesting game.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 22, 12 8:43 AM

Edited on 02/22/2012 at 9:52:32 AM PST

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Feb 22, 12 9:05 AM
I love this show on TV just to see how much stuff people hoard/collect etc. Some really cool old items.
Having said that, I was excited to see this game What a letdown. Just one HOS after another, kind of done in the same way as Mishaps but not as good. As others have said, no way to lose, no challenge at all, just one scene after another of stuff to collect. Graphics were dark, dreary and some items impossible to find. Good thing for the fast reload of the hint button to complete the scene. I wouldn't purchase this one at all. I might play it for free if I was bored to tears one day though
Come on where's the good stuff you're hoarding??

grammy1957
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by grammy1957 on Feb 22, 12 9:41 AM
Well, considering the last 2 weeks of HOG's - at least I was able to play without black flickering lines, having my PC shut down & was able to save. However, I have to agree, boring & definitely not a buy! Sorry BFG!

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Feb 22, 12 11:42 AM
Sorry, this one is not for me and I buy almost any HOG. I didn't mind the HO's but the buying and all the other stuff was not to my liking. I am sure others like this type of game but not me.

[Post New]by Betafishfighter on Feb 22, 12 12:31 PM
I dig it... Its fun and straight to the point. Humor matches the show, and plays like it too. Graphics are very nice. Not real challenging, so I guess everyone can enjoy it. "*** chillin', soul crushing", had me in tears LOL Smooth ride Big Fish, thanks!

Pond dweller 4eves!

Edited on 02/22/2012 at 12:32:48 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 22, 12 1:21 PM
I love the Antique Roadshow type games, and I especially love HOGs, but this game is really boring. Completely dislike the cursor, music gets very annoying very fast, no story, voice overs are just sort of "oh well, whatever." HOGs very simple. Would be an okay game for a beginner, but that's about it. No buy for me either.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Feb 22, 12 2:09 PM
Review after about half of demo:

No difficulty choice. I didn't have speakers on so cannot comment on music/voices. Too much dialog even though we can click through it. The "light" to find the bonus object at the end of each H0 scene lights the sparkles so you cannot miss the object. I do not like the buying/bargaining aspect. I would like to choose the state I visit from all sites - not just the ones with pushpins. I would like to see what they found in my state! A "slow-moving" game for me (gameplay-wise). The best part of the game for me is the graphics and for once things high up on the rooftop, hanging high on walls, under counters, etc actually do fit the scene as that is where items are sometimes really found when seeing areas like this in real life. I do like seeing the "antiquey" items that people are willing to part with for enough money.

Overall - I won't "pick" this one.

Go to: