bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 23, 12 12:17 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 23, 12 12:17 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 23, 12 12:35 AM
Sold! Finally a dev who LISTENS!!! They had me when I realized I could use the wallpapers and extras WHILE playing the game instead of locking them until after when they would be meaningless. (The whole point of the extras for me is immersion in the game including wallpapers while playing etc...)

Great graphics... engaging storyline... good voice acting... fills my widescreen... options for casual and advanced... pretty much everything anyone asks for is here. Gameplay is the "fill the circle" type where you find things and put them in circles to complete the object... not a frog really so I hope that makes sense. Also there are extra things to do for some things so it's very interactive and engaging. I haven't found any straight H0 scenes yet which is always a good sign... much prefer to find things in the environment for use in the game. Seems to be steampunk style... kinda reminiscent of Syberia or The Clockwork Man in style. (Just a bit anyway.)

ETA: Bonus play is about half an hour and doesn't change the story at all. Game is easy and SG not really needed so that's good news for those who want to wait for the SE.

5 Stars!!!

ETA: PS: THANKS bfgRhone!!! (muting the color since this isn't part of the review... but just wanted to say thanks)

Edited on 03/01/2012 at 9:51:29 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 23, 12 1:18 AM
Played 40 minutes of the demo (casual) :

- Artogon Games
- 7 chapters + bonus play
- 2 gameplay modes, casual, advanced
- Notebook
- No map
- Direct access to the SG which stays where you leave it, a +
- Hint takes roughly a minute to refill, usefull outside the H0
- Skip button
- Mini games quite easy
- No real H0, you have to find objects in your surroundings (puting them in circles)
- Good graphics
- Music...turned it off
- Voiceovers

Eternal story of the created creature killing it's master and turning evil. Story could have been interesting but I just found boring looking on and on for objects, playing an easy mini game here and there. No interest, for me, to access the extras in the middle of the game. So wanted a CE, a NEW game but this one is a no buy for me

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 1:23:36 AM PST

Trinn_T
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Trinn_T on Feb 23, 12 1:37 AM
This game is a solid CE purchase! You play the role of a scientist who is beckoned for help by a fellow colleague after a crazed automaton comes to life and wreaks havoc. Depths of Betrayal, you had me at hello

There are two modes of difficulty: Casual and Advanced. Casual mode has sparkles and a fairly quickly recharging Hint button. Advanced has no sparkles and slower Hint/Skip button charge timers.

Full screen and Windowed modes are available in the Options menu, as well as a Widescreen Correction option while in full screen - which worked perfectly on my laptop! Yay

The CE version includes a strategy guide (7 chapters + bonus, so a good length!) and some very lovely Wallpapers.

This game boasts fully animated cinematics, as well as animated scenery. There is voice acting (which is decent quality) in the cut scenes and when talking to other characters, but the player character himself does not speak outside of the cutscenes.

There is a changing cursor, making the constant item hunting process much easier. Gameplay mostly consists of a blend of FROG/IHOG at each location where you collect and combine the parts of an item around each scene. (I've seen this in other games, there's got to be a word for it, but I don't know it! ) The rest of the challenge comes from inventory management and a few scattered minigames, all not too difficult but properly enjoyable

The graphics are bright and colorful, and for the most part very crisp. However, there are some junkpile scenes that can be difficult to distinguish. The music is enchanting and very good at creating the proper eerie or tense mood. The whole game has a steampunk sort of feel to it, which like gamergirl675 mentioned, makes you think of Syberia - and that's always a good thing.

Great timing on this one, I'm glad for the change of pace!

4.5 / 5 !

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 23, 12 1:38 AM
I love this game! My review is based on the demo. What a treat were in for with this FROG! The graphics are so clear and very crisp. The animation are beautiful and fabulous. The storyline is something different for a change and very interesting and new. Not the dark and dreary kind of story we've seen alot lately. This is a fractured circle game. And during my demo, I did not see any straight junk pile Hog scenes. But...I'm not sure if there are any. I really like the overall story and gameplay very much. It is more challenging than a straight Hog. A new look at a storyline for a change. Interesting to what we've been given lately. For sure give it a try. It's a definite buy for me! Great job "Developer's" and Thank you for this quality gem. When I kissed this FROG it turned into a "Prince" for me. LOL Enjoy!

YES: Widescreen
YES: Voiceover's
YES: Custom Cursor
YES: Journal
Sound: Musci/Ambiance/Voice
Chapter's 7 plus Bonus
Puzzle's Skippable
Two Modes of Play: Casual/Advanced
Story: Stop a mechanical monster.
Theme: Adventure Circle FROG

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 23, 12 1:53 AM
Based on the sample version.

Here's a game from Artogon that obviously was given a great deal of thought and attention to detail----because it's all here. Open s in a widescreen presentation that makes th e game so much more appealing to play. If only other develop ers would follow this example of what can be done. In addition, the graphics are stunning, and the gameplay mechanics are excellent. (fill the circle, like "Crystal Port al")
There are a lot of tricky things to do in the interactive searches to progr ess in the game, but that's a good thing----so muc h more more interesting than just junkpile after junkpile to wade through.
There are voice-overs, and during these you sometimes have to choose what to say to move along----another bit of attention to detail to make the game more interesting.
I thought the music was captivating----a throwback to old-time monster movies (rather than recycled tracks from previous games that others love to re-use)
The strategy guide keeps it's place, and there are seven chapters plus a bonus chapter so the game appear s to be of good length. However, in the SG the bonus chapter references a person of interest in the game itself so h ow intricately this ties into the completion of the story I can't tell. But it doesn't matter to me, because it's a definite and immediate buy for me so I'll get the whole thing anyway!
Certain other developers have just got to be taking note as yet another dev has stepped up and offered something different that is unique and cleverly done. They are going to have to move quick as a rabbit and remember like an elephant to keep up.
Great job by Artogon! Congrats on a great game!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 23, 12 3:09 AM
I am glad this game finally came out, I seen a sample of this game before, I knew right away it was a buy for me and was getting anxious that BF didn't have it yet.

The graphics are beautiful, the story line engaging, the music plays very nice in the background and add a nice touch to the game plot.

Look great, so far on the demo plays great and is definitely a top CE in my books.

Well worth the price after the latest SE we have been offered this week and last week.

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 3:21:17 AM PST

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Feb 23, 12 3:45 AM
I'm a bit torn on this game I'm afraid.

The graphics are fabulous and you really feel part of this funny little world with dirigibles and cobblestoned streets which for me is a big plus. The story line is pretty much the same "stop the bad thing before it takes over the world" that we've all seen before, but there is a nice twist in that it's a mechanical man this time instead of the usual witch or evil uncle etc...

However...the game itself seems fairly simplistic, and there is a lot of back and forth to find different FROG items which makes me feel as if the devs didn't really want to do a lot of different scenes and instead just make you run around the same ones over and over again.

I bought the game, and am enjoying it, but I just feel like there is something missing. Perhaps I have become a bit spoilt with some of the wonderful games we have had in the last 12 months or so, but this one just doesn't hit the spot for me.

I would however recommend you at least try this game - if LovetoMissLisa gives it her highest rating it is at the very least worth downloading the free trial!

Have fun fishies!

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 3:46:39 AM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Feb 23, 12 7:34 AM
There is so much to do in this game that I am grinning ear to ear. A variety of scenes for each chapter all interconnected with FROGS that need to be collected very much in the manner of a "Treasure Seekers" with individual items as opposed to broken pieces. A fair amount of back and forth between scenes but with enough going on to not make this a chore for me. The amount of interaction including the conversations are a true joy!!! Voice overs are done well. The graphics are clear and though busy they are appropriate to the story. I turned the music down low as it did seem repetitive but I have only finished one chapter so that could change. I did not use the hint or the guide so I have no info to offer on those. Playing on the challenge level it has taken me about 26 minutes to finish the first chapter which will, if everyone who mentioned 8 chapters are correct, work out to be a fairly comfortable length in game time for me. I am very happy with this game BF!!!
What a delightful and interesting change.
Off to buy!!!

Happy Gaming

Finished the game. Great length. Game was very good and held my interest even through the bonus. And the bonus I might add was worth the time both in length and in story. Whether you go CE or SE you will get solid closure on this game. Oh to have more games like this!

Edited to buy a vowel...

Edited on 02/23/2012 at 5:01:44 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 23, 12 7:55 AM
These devs should be really proud of this game. It's flawless and it plays like a dream. I am really big on navigation (after many disastrous experiences) and this game is perfect on that score too. It's all been said so I won't repeat.

Suffice it to say it gets a 10/10 from me, especially for originality and inventiveness.

Make more, guys, lots, lots more! I will be your 1st customer.

Heartiest congratulations.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 23, 12 9:06 AM
This is a great game. The first positive thing - the game has a widescreen option and it works for me! Storyline is also good, but I like especially the great gameplay. For me its a definete buy - probably as the CE

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Feb 23, 12 3:11 PM
Very good game by Artogon. The graphics are nice and well drawn. Things were a little difficult to find, but not impossible. You do have to go from place to place to find an item that will help you open something to get another item to go to another place and open it up....but that's the magic of the game. You seek for parts to another puzzle that, in turn, open up and move you towards your goal.

It's an adventure, but not dark and eerie. You still have the 'evil element' to conquer.

It's very nice. The developers seem to be improving with each game.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 23, 12 4:08 PM
I usually loves games made by these devs but this one left me felling frustrated. I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again.

The graphics were great as was the music and voice overs and I really think it was a good story.

I have never really cared for the circled hidden object style but it seems that there is more adventure along with it than I found in this.

I think I will wait for the SE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 23, 12 7:56 PM
Very nice game. Graphics excellent, game play very nice, music nice, voice-overs nice. Hint system was good, but could have been better. Very good SG, although you didn't need to follow it. I like this type of game, finding parts. Fairly simple games. Have to look in other locations for most parts, but that's the fun of it. Nice change from the usual stuff we have had lately.

I will purchase this one, but not today...have too many CE's already. May change my mind tomorrow and buy it anyway.

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Feb 23, 12 9:37 PM
I like this game a lot. It is a little different since there are no actual hidden object scenes, but as someone mentioned, there is a lot to do. I had to use the hint button a couple of times but it does help you find the next direction to go if you need it. There is a diary and then a task list that also helps. The graphics are good, though I don't feel they are clean and crisp as some other reviewers stated. However, they are very appropriate to the story line. A good, solid game that I will eventually buy as an SE (due to finances) but I really wanted to continue now. Definitely give it a try.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 24, 12 2:25 AM
Poutoule wrote:Played 40 minutes of the demo (casual) :

- Artogon Games
- 7 chapters + bonus play
- 2 gameplay modes, casual, advanced
- Notebook
- No map
- Direct access to the SG which stays where you leave it, a +
- Hint takes roughly a minute to refill, usefull outside the H0
- Skip button
- Mini games quite easy
- No real H0, you have to find objects in your surroundings (puting them in circles)
- Good graphics
- Music...turned it off
- Voiceovers

Eternal story of the created creature killing it's master and turning evil. Story could have been interesting but I just found boring looking on and on for objects, playing an easy mini game here and there. No interest, for me, to access the extras in the middle of the game. So wanted a CE, a NEW game but this one is a no buy for me

Same for me, very good game, well done, great graphics, interesting story, but something about this game didn't grab me! I am not very fond of hid objs in circles, too many locations mixed up, to search for, this stops somehow the fluidity of the game, the music is depressing, the colors too! No buy!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 24, 12 7:54 AM
I love this game! I really like the circle HO's, this is a favorite of mine and there are not enough of them. The story is great, graphics as well. This is an A+ game and I have already purchased it.

Happy Gaming all.....

OKC gem

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

WOULDA', COULDA', SHOULDA'

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Feb 24, 12 9:36 PM
I really liked this game and if I hadn't put out the extra for the CE, I would have given it 5 stars - fooled again - shame on me!!
The game play was fun, but then I really like this type where you have to find the objects to get another object, some of the puzzles were, simple and easy - others were a challenge.

BUT
The extra game play did not last even an hour and frankly it felt like they cut it off at almost the end, called it a bonus and doubled the price - foul, foul, and more foul so 3 stars.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Feb 25, 12 10:41 AM
Gosh. I'm the odd man out again, but didn't care for it. I got bored with the mindless back and forth. Nothing but convoluted ways of placing things where they'd never be. I can suspend belief, but this was just boring. Deleted after 10 minutes or so of play. Graphics were well done but not fantastic. They were clear, but the scenes were still dull to me. Ah well. To each his own right? No go for this gamer.

Go to: