bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 26, 12 12:22 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 26, 12 12:57 AM
A game from GI.

Graphics: Nicely done.
Voice Overs Yes and they recommend you keep the sound on to play the game. So if you don't like sound when you are playing you will not like this game.
Different levels of play: Does not have different levels which to me was disappointing.
Puzzles: There are HOGS, but they have a theme like find all cylindrical items, or find all silver items. No junk piles, which is nice.
Puzzles I played were not too hard. The ones I played are a variation of what we have seen in the past.
Theme. To construct a house. This is a nice game if you are mechanically inclined.
Sparkles: Yes but not terribly annoying.

I would give this game a 4. It is a nice game. I have only played the demo. Not certain if I am going to purchase it. Feel it is a little better caliber game that the other CE we have seen lately.

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 12:58:04 AM PST

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Feb 26, 12 1:02 AM
I finished the demo in 40 minutes and am off to buy.
The graphics are clear, the hidden object scenes are finding 12 of the same type of object (which I like better than the junk-piles), and the mini-games are fun and a little challenging.
I never play with the sound, so can't comment on that.
You have to escape a sanctuary, but don't feel threatened by your host.
I really enjoyed the game so far. It 'grabbed' me from the beginning.
Happy gaming everyone

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 26, 12 1:24 AM
I played the trial hour and bought it, but was in two minds as to buy or not. The positives are that this game is different to the usual 'grandad disappears and needs his amulet', or creepy and spooky old houses/asylums.
I enjoyed the puzzles; and I don't usually as they are often too samey.
The graphics are good, and it's not overly difficult to play.

The negatives are threefold; the voice over is cringingly irritating. Once again a stereotypical so called 'English' accent!
There is no option for advanced play, which I find unforgiveable in a CE. So although no sparkles as such there's little flashing lights, which are equally annoying.
Thirdly, the constant loading with a 'giant' egg timer on the screen is not what I expect from a CE.
The HOG scenes are different, no real junk pile but find 12 of this or that.So for once no searching for bananas stuck to the lampshade, or peppers in the bookcase. I hoped this game was 'hourglass' free! And I'm sure it would be if not for the huge loading variety that keeps appearing on the screen.
I've never owned an hourglass, nor do I know anyone who has...so they drive me nuts when they pop up in 99.5% of all HOG scenes )
I'm looking forwards to the D/L finishing and seeing how the game unfolds.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Feb 26, 12 1:58 AM
Great Music, Sounds and Gameplay.

Beautiful Artwork, nice and clean.

Excellent Help and Guiding when stuck.

Funny Story.

Quick Hint Refill.

Hidden objects to find with a slant to what you need to find..

I like the size of the Font - nice and Big - as I have poor eyesight.

I played the Trial for 20 minutes and its enough to make me want to BUY without delay!!

Thanks for another great game. x 5

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 26, 12 2:13 AM
Based on the trial.

From GI (unfamiliar with this dev) comes this effort which, at best, would be an ok SE game, but has nothing to qualify the CE label.
There is no advanced level.
There is no widescreen option, so for many of us we see black bars which for a CE is completely unacceptable. Too many other games are showing the way for this option to be available, and for double money this lack of attention to detail is an automatic disqualifier.
There are voice-overs (well, one) that is poorly done, intrusive, and irritating.
THe story is different, but unfortunately not all that interesting. Nothing here captivates me at all.
The SG does keep it's place but not truly vital as the puzzles are ordinary and moving along through the game is sort of obvious.
And the bonus content is not available to see so there is not much clue as to the length of the game or the relevance of the bonus play. I am always suspicious when the bonus features are hidden from view in the trials because it suggests that there isn't much----a suspicion borne out too many times in other games.
There is a lot of construction and repairing which to me are not really puzzles, just busy-work.
As I said, this might be ok for a SE at regular price, a coupon code, or even better, a DD sometime later, but no way does this ordinary and mundane game deserve a CE label. Thurday's CE offering is a far better game in my opinion.
As always, take advantage of the free trial.
Sorry devs----not much here.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 26, 12 2:26 AM
This game is just o.k. for me. It's not quit up to the quality of CE's we see. But it's a good effort. But no widescreen is a problem with this game for me. The voiceover's are mediocre and a little disappointing for me. The animations are good. The cursor was very clunky and slow for me. The graphics are not crisp or clear and a little blurry. I like the storyline and found it to be charming enough. I will buy it when it come's out as a SE. It's worth trying for sure. It's just a mediocre game for me. Enjoy!

NO: Widescreen
YES: Voiceover's -mediocre
YES: Journal
NO: Different mode's of play
Sound: Voice/Music/Sound
YES: Cursor option - it was a bit slow and clunky for me.
YES: HO scene's - but no junk pile.
Extra's - Locked
Theme: Mechanical Adventure

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 26, 12 2:47 AM
This review is based on the trial:

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. The custom cursor is a little large, but worked fine for me.

There is only 1 gameplay mode: beware of sparklies...

There is a Journal, which is at the right.

The HINT button is on the left, and takes about 50-55 seconds to refill.

The SG (strategy guide) is just right of the HINT button. Only the first 2 chapters are open to view in the trial version. SG stays open where you last left it open.

There is no map.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 2 minutes to fill. Never used it though, because I managed the puzzles just fine.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have encountered so far are all of the "find 12 of this" and "find 12 of that" variety, which I love. I very much enjoy these types of HOS.

Graphics are very well done, in the main scenes as well as in the HOS, which don't look messy to me.

--- --- ---

I am loving this game: interesting, and quite a few puzzles to do - none of which I needed to skip in the trial. So when the SE comes out, I will definitely buy this game.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 26, 12 2:51 AM
(removed by moderator)
my problem with the one we are speaking(and i played longer than demo,i bought it!) is i am affraid there is a bug on hard puzzle;i'm trying to solve this.
all in one the gamers who loved to build mechanical devices and repair them will be happy,but there is not only that to do,there are several puzzles also and few scenes were you have to gather objects with particuliar shapes,or particuliar use which are kind of hidden objects scene
i have played now 2 hours and i don't have reach the level 1!so for length,i can't say more
the hint system is good because it give you clue but don't say really what you have to do or were to go
those last weeks,i think the choice of good games (i don't say for the SE of CE,because i have often played them as CE)was not very high at all,so this one seems to be good choice to play something different
i must say also:not filling my widescreen(23""),but pictures are clear and not grainy as the thursday game,which make some objects unidentifiable

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 9:27:02 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 26, 12 5:03 AM
After reading some other posts, I took another look at this game.
And I still feel that there are too many things about it that hold it back from CE status. (And, of course, as edmee1947 says, there is no particular standard that is set by anyone as to the exact parameters of what constitutes a CE game----it is entirely a subjective opinion.) Too many things such as the mediocre voice-over, the uninteresting story, and especially the lack of widescreen keep this game from being anything but a SE choice for later. For me. And only for me. I am not now, or ever, trying to tell anyone how they should feel about a game----I am only giving my personal opinion. I always read with interest the views, comments, and opinions of my fellow fishies. As has been said, all of us have different tastes and expectations.
There are some good things I like such as the finding of multiples in the HOS, the music, and some of the puzzles which I would bother to point out in a SE game, but this is a CE release, and although those are nice things about the game they don't come close to boosting it to CE quality or (double) money. Thursday's CE, which I loved and bought immediately, had much more going for it.
Everyone enjoy!

(I have read and approved this post-cbtx)

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by crypsynight on Feb 26, 12 5:31 AM
I am really on the fence with this one

I have to agree with ctbx in saying I don't think it is CE calibre.
1. For me the instant turn-off is that it doesn't have widescreen.
2. I can't stand sparkles of any sort!
3. The game doesn't run smoothly. (For me at least) the words were out of sync with the voice-overs, and scenes were slow loading.

Definitely thought Thurs CE was a lot better....but alas I have finished that one.
And there were good points about this game.
Primarily being that it is something different.

I guess it really comes down to whether i have the patience to wait for the SE version. Knowing me, probably not

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 26, 12 5:51 AM
I am getting pickier about games these days. If the graphics are so dark that I have to use a million hints (exaggeration I know but....) I won't buy it. If the music is annoying, I won't buy it. If there is live action and it is entirely over acted, I won't buy it, if there is too much too and fro for no reason, I won't buy it. I doesn't matter if it is an SE or a CE.

Saying all that, I have purchased quite a few CE's lately and this will be added to my collection. The music is fun and charming...the voice overs kind of silly, but in the context of the game are fine with me. The Hidden Objects are finding 12 of something which is kind of fun for a change and the puzzles were just difficult enough without making one skip them in a rage.... The SG is clear and the hint system is good.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 26, 12 6:07 AM
For once, I find myself at odds with cbtx over a game! I really enjoyed the whole demo of this 'house of mechanical marvels'; loved the change of pace in the hidden object searches, loved putting together bits and pieces to create a mechanical object and enjoyed the puzzles so far as I got (played 43 mins when demo ended).

The over the top English accent was annoying; the idea that anyone here speaks in that 'tally-ho' manner is very outdated! And I didn't really need the 'oh well done' when I finished something! But apart from that (and the giant cursor which thank goodness can be changed), this is, for me, a far more entertaining game than the Thursday CE. That just drove me mad with all the circles opening every time I found an item.

It wasn't full screen but the lovely bright, crisp graphics seemed to make up for that so didn't bother me. Yesterday's game was perhaps more worthy of the CE title than this one but since it has 'issues', I shall buy this different and interesting game!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 26, 12 7:27 AM
This is a solid game, but I wouldn`t pay the CE price for this game. I will wait till the SE this time. The graphic is good, gameplay also, but I miss the widescreen option and the "special feeling" in this game. Happy gaming everyone

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Feb 26, 12 7:31 AM
I finished the demo in 35 minutes. Once the game started, the wide screen took effect. I had no black bars on the sides. I do not think I will purchase this CE. Just didn't keep my interest. I might buy the single edition. I will wait and see.
Not sure why it didn't peak my interest. I wish I could be more specific.
Glad to play the demo but that is all I needed.
Vallarina

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Feb 26, 12 7:35 AM
I really like this game. Here we have our old friend but he isn't as mean or scary and not killing young beautiful people or anyone I can see. At least not yet. And I LOVE his voice. The girl sounds like she's from Australia and I just love that accent too. The voices here would have me if nothing else.

The story is very interesting and I'll have to see this through. Not sure if I'll get the CE or an SE but I do have to have it.

I like finding the twelve related items for a change and was able to do all the puzzles in the demo, which I didn't finish. I kept the sound on and enjoyed it but didn't use the strategy guide. At first I thought the little mechanical guy was going to be the hint go-to but no. I'd like one of those clockwork fireflys for my very own.

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Feb 26, 12 7:47 AM
Played 45 minutes of the demo and am enjoying this game. Although it is another game played in an old mansion, it is not dark and eerie, which is a nice change. I enjoy games with a lot puzzles and came across 4 in my short play of the demo so there seems to be potential for many more. Like the different HOS scenes as you have to find 12 of a certain type of object. The game opened to fit my 17" screen, the graphics are clear and the storyline is interesting. I have purchased and am looking forward to working my way through the mansion!

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Feb 26, 12 8:34 AM
cbtx wrote:After reading some other posts, I took another look at this game.
And I still feel that there are too many things about it that hold it back from CE status. (And, of course, as edmee1947 says, there is no particular standard that is set by anyone as to the exact parameters of what constitutes a CE game----it is entirely a subjective opinion.) Too many things such as the mediocre voice-over, the uninteresting story, and especially the lack of widescreen keep this game from being anything but a SE choice for later. For me. And only for me. I am not now, or ever, trying to tell anyone how they should feel about a game----I am only giving my personal opinion. I always read with interest the views, comments, and opinions of my fellow fishies. As has been said, all of us have different tastes and expectations.
There are some good things I like such as the finding of multiples in the HOS, the music, and some of the puzzles which I would bother to point out in a SE game, but this is a CE release, and although those are nice things about the game they don't come close to boosting it to CE quality or (double) money. Thursday's CE, which I loved and bought immediately, had much more going for it.
Everyone enjoy!

Thanks cbtx! I depend on your reviews because we have very similar tastes. Please keep them coming!

(I have read and approved this post-cbtx)

[Post New]by petermeier on Feb 26, 12 8:59 AM
NO WIDESCREEN SUPPORT !!!!!!
This games will annoy all the buyers who are expecting a reasonably modern technology program. I can't understand why a game is now on the market, which has no 16:9 screen resolution, or not at least a widescreen correction. Game designers: failed !!

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Feb 26, 12 9:07 AM
Valdy wrote:This review is based on the trial:

[skipped]

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have encountered so far are all of the "find 12 of this" and "find 12 of that" variety, which I love. I very much enjoy these types of HOS.

Graphics are very well done, in the main scenes as well as in the HOS, which don't look messy to me.
--- --- ---
I am loving this game: interesting, and quite a few puzzles to do - none of which I needed to skip in the trial. So when the SE comes out, I will definitely buy this game.

Read all the posts here and the 'reviews'...of course just had the trail to base me opinion on but am certain to 'buy'...was amazed b/c the dev is new to me and as always a little ...but very 'fun quirky' game. Got to wait til after the first as only got one PCC left on card and... darn! just going to be a difficult next four days!

signed ... ... Lets

Go to: