Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Tree. May be chopped

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 27, 12 7:16 AM
How to ask a citizen to chop down a specific tree (to make space for building) was the only thing I encountered during the demo that I didn't notice being explained in either the help section or the tutorial. Clicking on it didn't give the kind of options you get for clearing a heap and just got the message 'Tree. May be chopped'.

I got someone to chop it down by trying something which had worked in other games, but thought I'd post a tip in case anyone needs help with it:

SPOILER WARNING! - highlight white text with mouse to read: To get a citizen to chop down a specific tree: Drag them onto the tree and let go of them. I knew I had been successful when the tree started waving about due to the citizien chopping at it (couldn't see the chopping but could see the tree moving) and then the tree fell. END SPOILER

I already had the lumberjack camp at this point so I don't know if that was necessary before this will work, but I did manage to get other citizens than lumberjacks to chop down trees for me. Sometime it didn't work, so it may depend on what the citizen is already busy doing at the time.

UPDATE - see Valdy's suggestion below too because that way you get wood from the tree (but spend mana to get it).

Using a citizen you don't get to keep the wood, but you don't use up any mana to clear the tree.

Each method can be useful in different circumstances, depending on what is in shortest supply at the time - mana or wood.

Edited on 02/27/2012 at 10:39:02 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Tree. May be chopped

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 27, 12 7:27 AM
Oh, thank you, Daisy. The only way I I thought I was able to get rid of a tree was by SPOILER ALERT using the hand of mana. END OF SPOILER ALERT

I didn't know you could do it that way.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Feb 27, 12 8:01 AM
Thank you so much for mentioning this tree chopping move.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 27, 12 9:04 AM
You're both welcome - glad it was useful .

Just as my demo ran out I got a similar message for a different obstacle (which couldn't be cleared the same way as a tree) and thought I was going to have to remain in suspense until the new month starts but there's now a thread about that one too

UPDATE: I had noticed that when you get a citizen to chop a tree you don't gain any wood from it.

I had a few mins demo left (if I'm going to write a review I always save a little demo time in case I find that I want to check some detail as I'm writing ) so I went in to try Valdy's method. That way does get you wood but costs mana so I'd do it that way if I badly needed wood but would use a citizen if I wanted to save mana and just wanted to clear a space.

Edited on 02/27/2012 at 10:35:19 AM PST

Go to: