Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Calling STRATEGY game fans

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 27, 12 9:50 AM
I wouldn't like you to miss out on today's TGT (All My Gods) due to the incorrect labelling.

It is currently labelled as Time Management but is not timed at all (doesn't even have a timed mode). The only timer I saw in the demo was when I received an optional quest and had 3 or 4 mins to decide to hand over the goods if I wanted to. I felt no time pressure because I already had the goods and felt it was just giving me an option of when (or if) I would want to hand them over.

It's a strategy game (sort of like a Westward game but, so far, without the puzzle type quests), in that you have to balance resources and do things to unlock new buildings while receiving quests but can do things at your own pace in whatever order you want (so long as you balance your resources successfully) and also in that you keep building on the same civilization rather than the game being split into different short levels with set goals (like most of the recent Strategy games).

You also get (seeing as you play a young god ) divine power which you can use to speed things up (such as a building appearing instantly instead of waiting for the builders to finish it) or to get resources instantly (and other uses too).

So deciding how to make the most of your (finite) divine power is a part of the strategy.

I could go on , but I already wrote a detailed review so I'll stop here in this post.

Except to say that if I was still doing Daisy's Picks - this would definitely be one! (Based on demo so far because waiting for new month to buy it).

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/16442/all-my-gods/index.html

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Calling STRATEGY game fans

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 27, 12 2:28 PM
It's kind of boring though... you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for your mana to fill up with enough points to actually play. I HATE when devs artificially lengthen a game that way.

And there is a timer... it's the day/night bar in the upper right corner.

ETA: Typed left instead of right lol.

Edited on 02/27/2012 at 2:28:31 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 27, 12 4:55 PM
Thanks for replying GG . You're the only one that did.

I suppose we can't all expect to like the same things.

I didn't find myself sitting around waiting for the mana to fill. I was always doing something. Maybe I just had a different strategy. I was often using builders to clear heaps of rubble or various citizens to chop down trees to make space for future buildings.

I did need to plan how to make best use of my mana because it wasn't limitless but I see that as where some of the strategy comes in and prefer it that way. I don't see anything artificially game lengthening about it.

gamergirl675 wrote:And there is a timer... it's the day/night bar in the upper right corner.

That I do need to be clear on for the sake of anyone who may otherwise write the game off for the wrong reasons (that's the only reason I'm bolding - to make it stand out):

That's not a timer, not to time anything you do anyway. It just shows where you are in the production cycle.

Like in building games where there's a bar which shows when the rent is next due to be paid to you for any buildings which you own: In this game, when that bar gets full, that's when your buildings will produce their next lot of resources.

So, every time that bar fills up, your fishing cabins will produce their 3 fish (more if upgraded) and your lumber camps will produce their set amount of wood and so on.

It's just information on when you will receive your next set of automatic products.

Edited on 02/27/2012 at 5:31:31 PM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 27, 12 6:02 PM
I was just hoping it would be like Zellions or something along those lines. It would be nice to have another builder game like that. I dunno... without levels or goals there just doesn't seem to be any point to the game. Just waste time waiting on mana or as you said, the timer bar for daily goods. Even the market lets you sell but not buy... not much fun in that.

Glad you're having fun though.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 27, 12 6:14 PM
Thanks .

Sorry it disappointed you. I can't remember the detail of Zellians. I do remember thinking I wouldn't like it, because back then I had never played anything which wasn't timed , but liking it anyway and buying it.

But that was when I was new to BF and going mad snapping up older games in sales or as DDs. I still have many that I never got back to playing yet and Zellians is one of them.

I'm not having fun with All My Gods right now as my demo ran out and I am fighting the urge to buy it before the new punchcard month. But my resolve is slipping, especially since I realised that's 3 days away, not the 2 days that I had got into my head that it was.

The on my shoulder is trying to convince my brain that 3 days could be enough to fill a punchcard - especially if get at least one decent DD because I do have saved credits and a couple of 'buy sometimes to complete a punchcard' games.... but my brain knows better.

Trouble is ................. that can be very persuasive . That's the point of demos isn't it - to get someone hooked enough that they really don't want to stop playing. Got me good today!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 27, 12 6:22 PM
LOL!!! Oh I know that well. I really wanted to like this one darn it. But at least the is quieted...

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Feb 27, 12 6:26 PM
thanks daisy, i already got it with a pcc as soon right on tgt time and i am loving it! i don't think it is boring at all!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Feb 27, 12 6:33 PM
Excellent game with great graphics already bought it first thing this morning and I'm loving every minute of it. I like the fact that there is no timer and you can take your
time and not have to worry about beating a clock. Great game !

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Feb 27, 12 11:28 PM
I also picked it up yesterday. (sorry BFG not from here as I did not want to start a new punchcard this late and wanted the game then and there :: )
and I love it- taking my time playing and earning the awards for the challenge we have going at our game challenge forum.

I am finding my mana fills up too quickly- i am always getting a message I am at the limit of this and that and having to sell at the market.
As you go on and build temples and get more established all these things come much more quickly and easier.

This is a really nice game.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 28, 12 1:41 AM
Ok Daisy... between you and Cherb you've convinced me to give it another try.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 28, 12 2:43 AM
Hi everyone,

As this game is no longer today's TGT, we feel it has had the appropriate amount of exposure in Chit-Chat Corner and I'll now be moving this thread over to it's dedicated game Forum.

However, as there already is a Comments thread in this Game Forum, I'll also be locking this thread.

Please feel free to re-post your comment and join in on the discussion in the thread over here.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Go to: