Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Chopping up of LF games, first Amerzone now Syberia

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Feb 28, 12 2:37 AM
Are we going to see this with more games?
I, for one am dead against chopping up classic LF games, or any LF games for that matter.

In the new Syberia part 1 forum BF claims is is a decission made by the developer. If so, are there any other LF games at risk to get the same treatment in the near future? Can we receive some kind of warning, or are there any warning signs already we should heat? I still have several LF games on my wishlist, but certainly not the little pieces versions of them
Is it all Benoit Sokal games at risk or all games from the dev that made Syberia and Amerzone?

What games should we buy before they get the axe treatment?

How are you responding to this new development? I can only say one thing:
I am absolutely against it
and if anyone knows of a means to get this message through strongly at the developer and BF please share it here.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

Re:Chopping up of LF games, first Amerzone now Syberia

[Post New]by marie1931 on Feb 28, 12 2:53 AM
I guess that at least Syberia 2, Paradise and Sinking Island will get the same treatment (all are Benoît Sokal's games )

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Feb 28, 12 3:15 AM
totally against it - making episodes of games that were made to be just one whole game totally ruins the experience.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Feb 28, 12 4:21 AM
The mobile version of Paradise has already been chopped up (sold under the title "Last King of Africa") and a hidden object element was added

I would guess that the PC version of Paradise will also be split into 3, so that one is worth getting now.

All games developed by Microids/White Birds are at risk as they've been purchased by Anuman, which has no respect for the integrity of these great games.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 28, 12 4:26 AM
and if anyone knows of a means to get this message through strongly at the developer
As Jenny said, your target is Anuman Interactive.

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Feb 28, 12 4:36 AM
I'm with the rest of you, TOTALLY AGAINST THIS!!!

It's one thing to decide to make new LF games in episodes (NOT that I am condoning it, and don't ever want to see this become the new thing) but to split up a classic game that has been out for years is just plain wrong IMO.

It smells to me like someone just wants more money TBH (whoever made the decision to chop it up).

If it is games developed by Microids I guess that means Return to Mysterious Island 1 and 2 could also be at risk then, aren't they Microids games too??

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Feb 28, 12 4:39 AM
In the new Syberia part 1 forum BF claims is is a decission made by the developer

big fish could decide to not sell it at all . Other sites that sell Syberia are selling it as one entire game. $15 US buys Syberia one and two at a reliable site I belong to. No mention there of the distributer or developer demanding that even one of the games be sold in 3 parts.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Feb 28, 12 4:43 AM
Just bought Amerzone full version via my internet provider.

Bought it ...I hope .... in french (the version on has no subtitles ) and hope it will work on my puter. Couldn't tried it

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 28, 12 4:44 AM
MsFreddie wrote:In the new Syberia part 1 forum BF claims is is a decission made by the developer

big fish could decide to not sell it at all . Other sites that sell Syberia are selling it as one entire game. $15 US buys Syberia one and two at a reliable site I belong to. No mention there of the distributer or developer demanding that even one of the games be sold in 3 parts.
BFG is wrong. This is not the first game that the publisher has chopped into three. Look at Dracula 3.

This is Anuman Interactive making its Microids catalogue available for the iPhone, then porting the bits to PC.

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 4:45:57 AM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 28, 12 5:08 AM
I think it's terrible and I think BFG should have chosen not to sell.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 28, 12 5:14 AM
Yes as Mr Russ said dracula path of the dragon has gone that way too. But what was really bad about that game is all the good stuff got taken out of it when they chopped it up. Has the same thing happened with Syberia?

Is this the end of LF games here?

Instead of buying more LF games, are BF just going to get extra revenue and chop old games up?
I have been waiting for ages for even old LF games to become available here, and it doesn't seem to be happening.

I hadn't bought sinking island yet because the reviews weren't great, but going to buy it now with my credit.

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 5:17:43 AM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Feb 28, 12 5:56 AM
I too have waiting in hope that BF would bump up the number of LF games in their catalogue, but alas it seems they are not doing so.

I haven't played Path of the Dragon but did hear that the 3 part version was dumbed down also.

If this is to fit in with iphones/ipads/mobile gaming etc and this is the 'Brand New Audience' that BF is talking about well fooey for them. They can kiss my behind, these games were designed to be played on proper computers and consoles such as the Playstation and that's how they should stay. I don't care if it doesn't fit with the ipad etc it's their look out, they bought it!

Fine make these games available to other fomats if you must but don't make the rest of us suffer for it. At the end of the day it's all about the money. They want a new audience so have ported it to mobile gaming (just like lots of devs have moved to social gaming). But by opening up to this new audience and FORCING this change on the original gamers that this game was intended for, all they are doing is upsetting their original audience. Thus potentially cutting off the very people that made these games as popular as they are today. I for one will NOT be buying a game that has been chopped up into pieces.

I don't care who is to blame for this but I don't like it and am actually rather angry about it.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 28, 12 5:57 AM
I'm not at all in favor of this move. I read the reasons, but I'm not sure I believe them. Big Fish has been the best casual game site I've ever used, but this is giving me second thoughts about it, and I already have the game so this decision doesn't affect me personally.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Feb 28, 12 6:20 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
and if anyone knows of a means to get this message through strongly at the developer
As Jenny said, your target is Anuman Interactive.

i dont know mrruss, bfg did have the full game, and now they dont,,,i dont know how things work, if bfg has to take down the full game because the dev said too, do they have rights to it only for a set amount of time? i just cant see a dev being able to insist that only the chopped version be offered, especially to bfg

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 28, 12 6:22 AM
It's not the devs, it's the publisher. LizzieK has posted the details about the contract that Anuman Interactive has with BFG in another thread.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Feb 28, 12 6:29 AM
"Sigh" I am tempted to go back to console gaming.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Feb 28, 12 6:30 AM
Luckystar18 wrote:"Sigh" I am tempted to go back to console gaming.

lol, i never left,, just takes a very long time between releases,

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Feb 28, 12 6:41 AM
bella81762 wrote:
Luckystar18 wrote:"Sigh" I am tempted to go back to console gaming.

lol, i never left,, just takes a very long time between releases,

I haven't played in so long it will be a whole new experience for me!

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Feb 28, 12 6:49 AM
This (among a LOT of other things) makes me glad that I canceled my BFG membership. Only 2 credits left to spend and 4 months to do it. Then, I'm out of here except for checking on erigby's "breaking news" thread!

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Feb 28, 12 6:58 AM
If it is AI that is doing this/decided to go this way, what other games, in BF catalogue, are at risk to get chopped up?

I have expiring pcc's, so please let me know which ones are at risk.

I too think it is a totally preposterous to chop up the games to make them playable at mobile phones and notebooks and forcing the pc gamers to go with the little pieced games too.

Adressing a new market is fine, but why do we pc gamers have to suffer from it? Those games were never ment to get chopped up.

I am glad there are so many of you who feel the same way about this cutting LF games in to little pieces.

If the reason for it would only be to make it available for mobile phones and notebooks AND at the same time the original game would still be available for PC gamers, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. But this is absurd and it really p***s me off.

Go to: