llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

Need help with 'create' please

[Post New]by llstjohn on Mar 2, 12 6:58 AM
I posted this in another thread but no one has been in it since January and i need an answer now. Will someone take me by the hand and lead me step-by-step through the process of creating a puzzle from a web image. I did one but for the life of me, I cannot do it again. Once you have the web image, do you go to paint ---never mind, I am not even going to ask all that. Just please lead me through the process to create a puzzle.

Re:Need help with 'create' please

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Mar 2, 12 8:12 AM
Hi listjohn

There are two different methods to create a new jigsaw, either capture the screen (probably the easier of the two) or save the image as a jpg file to your hard drive and then import it into the game.

Method 1: Screen capture.
1. Start the game
2. Start your browser and get the image you are interested displayed in the browser, make sure it's a decent size, fill as much as the screen as you can but be sure all the parts you are interested in are visible.
3. In the game press Create... and select Create from screen capture.
4. The game gets out of the way, captures the screen, then reappears with a copy of the screen, plus the Make a Jigsaw control panel. Check the box marked Crop image so you can isolate just the part of the image you are interested in. In other words, don't include the browser frame or any spurious bits of desktop still showing. You can resize the crop box and move it around.
5. Play with the sliders to choose the number of pieces, Oddness, amount of fun pieces. These are not critical because you can edit the cut of your jigsaw later if you want, or use the Choose... button on the opening screen to override all your jigsaws' settings regardless.
6. Press the Save button (the green checkmark), enter a suitable title and description and save. Done!

Method 2: Import an image file
1. Browse to the site that stores the images you want and download one. I can't help you with this part, sorry. Download it as jpg or png. Make sure it is a suitable size, between 1,000 and 2000 pixels across is optimal.
2. In the game, press Create... and select Create from picture file and Look in desktop pictures. This will probably go to your personal picture folder, if not, navigate to it, or wherever you saved the image file. Open the image file. You can add another location that you frequently use if you like, using Add new place to look. If you are on a Mac, you might like to click on Photos in the Media section of the sidebar to access your personal photos within iPhoto or Photo Booth.
3. Continue as method 1, from step 5. You probably don't need to crop the image but you can if you wish.

That's it, let me know if you need any further assistance. You can also look in the help menu if you need a reminder of what to do.

~ David

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Mar 2, 12 10:32 AM

Method 1: Screen capture.
1. Start the game

[i]
Then what? I wasn't kidding, David, when I said I need step-by-step instruction as to what to do. After I open the game, do I minimize it to open the browser? How do I open the browser? I followed your instructions, I thought, and just finished putting together a jigsaw of my desktop, icons and all. Now I'm working on the Big Fish home page. I don't mind, it's kind of fun, actually. I can put the picture I want on the screen but it is not what I get when I do a screen capture. My screen saver is now a shot of my nephew's wedding that puts itself together. No idea how I did that.

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Mar 2, 12 2:54 PM
llstjohn wrote:
Then what? I wasn't kidding, David, when I said I need step-by-step instruction as to what to do. After I open the game, do I minimize it to open the browser? How do I open the browser?

Yes, you can minimize the game to get to your browser if you like. Or use the Windows 7 Start button or the XP Quick Launch.

The basic idea is simply to get the game and browser both running, with the browser in front, and get your intended picture showing in the browser. Then get the game in front so you can trigger the capture feature. The game gets out of the way, captures the screen, then reappears. It's actually far easier to do than describe, I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it!

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Mar 2, 12 9:15 PM
David, thank you so much for you patience and guidance! My sister was really surprised when she walked into my room and I was putting together a jigsaw of a picture of her. That was what I wanted to do. Now she wants to learn how to make them. I told her she's going to have to let me do it a few more times before I try to show her how. This is really great!! Thanks again. L St John

Edited on 03/02/2012 at 9:16:41 PM PST

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Mar 9, 12 1:07 PM
I have pretty much got 'create' now. But I discovered something new. If you are looking at a game's screenshots, if you right click on the enlarged screenshot, one of the options is 'set as wallpaper'. If you do that, you can use it in 'create a jigsaw'. I have screenshots from some of the games in my line up.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 12, 12 3:28 AM
Being able to create jigsaws from by own pictures has been the greatest thing for me. I drive around town and take pictures of houses and buildings, which is the most fun for me to put together. I love sky so I always make sure I have plenty of sky in my pictures and we have plenty of pretty houses here in Wichita. After I completed all the puzzles that this game had I needed something else, so being able to create puzzles was a really great benefit and I'm so glad I found this option. Thanks Jigsaws Galore and

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Mar 12, 12 3:45 AM
You can also get picture from photo sites. Google "free photo sites" and lots will pop up.

You have to read the terms, cuz some that say they are free, really aren't, but I DLd about 100 shots of Animals, buildings, nature shots, you name it.

It should keep us in puzzles for a long, long time

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Mar 12, 12 11:16 AM
heatherington wrote:I drive around town and take pictures of houses and buildings...

Don't you get a lot of motion blur taking pictures while driving?

Thanks Jigsaws Galore and

Thank you!

Go to: