bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 3, 12 12:17 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 3, 12 12:19 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 3, 12 1:19 AM
Well I lasted 14 minutes before I ran out of patience because every couple of clicks I incurred a penalty whereby the screen turned purple and the cursor froze so most of that time was spent on the naughty step .

What is the point of an adventure type game when you are told to look around and keep getting penalised when you click on objects ... you were looking for a book and all I did was to click on the individual books lying on the desk <sigh>. Then I was looking for something to reveal invisible writing and got penalised again so I have had it with this game.

While I am complaining I would also like to say that I found the custom cursor far too big and the constant turning of the gears distracting.

To those people with more patience than I, enjoy.

Cherb

[Post New]by methatsit on Mar 3, 12 1:40 AM

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 1:57:36 AM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Mar 3, 12 1:55 AM
I lasted long enough to start finding the screw heads, or bolt or whatever you want to call them, i broke down and started hitting the hints, but frankly, i was less than enthused by this game. It's tedious, the music is unmemorable (I literally cannot remember what it sounded like) and i have to agree with Cherb, the cursor is very clunky, the game played very slow, and not very responsively, and while the graphics are good, the gameplay is not. Frankly the story is what hooks me into the game, and I left a few minutes into it, really wanted to like, but the look for 16 pieces of paper, then go into this long drawn out affair, where frankly it should have been more user friendly, mini game or whatever you want to call it was more annoying than anything. spoiler----- You had to pick up a paper, place it on a test tube, then put it on a torch, it immediately popped back into invenotry and you had to take it from inventory, remember which one of the frickockerin bottles you HADN'T already touched with the paper, then stick it onto the torch, and then repeat this ALL over again ten or so times....bleeeh. No thank you. I consider myself very fair towards games, just cannot begin to overlook this ones faults, becuase I have yet to find much of a positive......and i usually LIKE a lot of the games that get widely panned. Just needed some extra ooomph in the storyline, or something in the gameplay to get me to continue. If I had to watch that old fashioned sands of time clock thing everytime a scene loaded one more time (and this is the game doing it and not my computer!)I was going to be irrationally angry at this game.

I CHANGED MY MIND, AND ANOTHER REVIEW IS ON PAGE 3.....SORRY ALL THIS GAME IS REEEEALLY GOOOOD!!! HIDDEN GEM ALERT!!!!

Edited on 03/04/2012 at 2:22:34 PM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 3, 12 2:07 AM
ok with cherbtoo!
but if the game play is not very good,there is here many ideas:
the game begins like adventure one,bu when we find first artefact,the things begin to be complicated
the idea is to use artifact itself as several puzzles to do before the thing be clear is good
can't say more without spoiling
some scenes are beautiful and very poetical(hidden objects scenes inside the picture)
the story is not very clear yet(i played the hour demo only)
puzzles: slider-as far very easy-,jigsaws-pieces of this or that to put togather-,notes to translate,etc
i found the tasks(in a book with even some clues) not very clear!so,as i never play the tutorial,maybe here it 'll help!
the penality is really a bad point for this game,too much quick to punish!
dev,you had good ideas,but the way to play with is not worked enough!
give this one a try,perhaps it 'll be for others fishes a good day game
maybe a CC after all!
i am very undecided about this game,but it is intriguing!

heathbb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by heathbb on Mar 3, 12 2:08 AM
I ran out of patience! it is very difficult to get into the idea of the game really and gave up with the spanners???? No go for me and I love all these types of games but this one is jst toooooooooo different

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 3, 12 2:12 AM
This is as difficult a review as the game is.

When you begin, you are stuck trying to figure out a few adventure-type things in your detective's office and an alchemist's house. The process is very frustrating and I almost gave up more than once. But once the tasks and (difficult) puzzles were solved, you go to the area "between the worlds" and the pay-off is huge. All of sudden you are shown several hidden object scenes that are as different as I've seen.
These scenes require you to figure out the interaction necessary to find all the objects or you can get a tip from your assistasnt (as opposed to the actual hint button). The scenes are very beautiful and unique with objects to be found that I have NEVER seen in a previous game. This makes the game itself different, and I like it just because it's something I've never seen before.
The scenes are very challenging, but not impossible and I don't think the objects were too small, and the graphics are very good.
The puzzles are quite a challenge, but can be skipped.
So overall, I'm sure I'll be going against the grain on this one, but I liked it a lot after getting through the initial frustrations. I was sorry the trial was over, so I'll have to buy it to see what other surprises may await.
But on this one, absolutely try it first and try to be patient. Very patient.
For those who have asked for something different----here you go!

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Mar 3, 12 2:20 AM
Nothing is very clear in so much as what to do, the clunky cursor is a pain I got as far as the lab and testing the paper on the chemicals, then when you get the information after using the correct chemical it wasn't clear what to do with the panels in the library and how they correspond. Even the hint button didn't give you enough of a clue and it was difficult to know how to get from one room to another. This is not one that I would buy I am afraid

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 3, 12 2:22 AM
First let me start by saying this game isn't for everyone. But I kinda like it. Now when I say this, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a great game at all. But for me I have a punch card to spend and this is an o.k SE for me. I do think the graphics are very crisp and clear. There is no widescreen or voiceover's but the quality is worth getting this game to me. I'm kinda enjoying it. I do think it's worth a punch card/DD/COTW. Enjoy

NO: Voiceover's
NO: Widescreen
YES: Journal
YES: Cursor option
Sound: Music/Sound only
Theme: Magical World of Adventure

I rate this game: “PORK BELLY” (mediocre game)
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre, but it is most definitely for me.
‘ ‘
(o)
I need to change my rating after purchasing the game. I was wrong. I am changing my rating from "Pork Belly" to "Piglet". This game is so much better than the demo was.. The animations and graphics are amazing. I had no idea where this game was going and the demo didn't do it justice. I really like the game and I would gladly pay for it.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 6:42:21 AM PST

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Mar 3, 12 2:30 AM
wow...I only lasted 10 minutes..one of the worst HO games I have ever seen..no real clues ...never sure when you get the right object...please do not waste your money

tinatoerat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tinatoerat on Mar 3, 12 3:18 AM
This game doesn't start out well, but after a while it changes to something entirely different!

Having found the eponymous pyramid I entered into several really charming Hidden Object scenes. The Air scenes were beautiful and so were the sound effects that went with them. Unfortunately there we NO useful hints in these scenes, just a reminder that we had to find things! It felt like a different game.

Hard to score this game, but I was disappointed when the demo finished while I was in the middle of a puzzle.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 3, 12 3:58 AM
This review is based on the 1-hour demo, which I played in Easy Mode:

This game is by "Puppet Life".

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

The graphics are well done: crisp and clear.

There is a JOURNAL at the top left.

The MENU is the round button at the bottom right, just below the HINT vial.

You will see one of the detectives at the bottom right. When you click on him, you can use him for extra HINTS, as well as the SKIP button.

When you can't do a mini game, you can click on the detective (you can choose in the beginning whether you want the guy or the woman to help you along), and he will then ask you if he should solve the mini game for you. Click yes if you want him to solve it.

The one HOS (hidden object scene) I have come across is made up of 3 parts, and plays in the clouds.
In order to see all the objects, some are hidden within the clouds, you have to press down the left mouse button, and keep holding it down. The dragonfly, which is attached to your cursor, will then flatter its wings fast enough to disperse the clouds for a moment, so that you can see the objects that are hidden within, and can click on them.

When you are in the middle of doing something in a particular scene, and want to go back out to the Menu for any reason (changing options, etc), you will have to start that scene again from the beginning when you go back in.

--- --- ---

This is not a game for the impatient HOG players. Gameplay is slightly different from the usual HOGs we usually see, and this is more of an adventure game with HOS thrown into it.

I like this game. It's not one I want to or even can race through, but need to take my time. Will I buy this game? Most likely.

--- --- ---

Just wanted to add that if you get stuck, and you think that things are not explained to you properly, as in HOS and mini games, click on the detective - he or she is very helpful.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 9:18:43 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 3, 12 5:53 AM
I played the Demo, the game have nice graphics, the music plays on an off in the background to provide momentum during the game.

The puzzles are quite in challenging side, but looking for object is what got me the must, while I never got Penalized and found all the objects the game doesn't tell you how many objects are there to collect.

I actually like the game, probably will peak on the walk-through when it comes to some of the puzzles.

This one will be a buy for me, because I find it quite challenging.

I will have to agree with many of the people that already posted that if you are not in the mood for patience this one will frustrate you to the core.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 5:54:38 AM PST

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 3, 12 6:53 AM
This game challenged my brain! I played on the "normal" game selection. It does have Easy, Normal, and Hard modes. I turned off the tutorial...probably not a good idea for this game. I think I missed some techniques to help play the game. I would say so far, 40 odd minutes into the game...it is more adventure than HOS. The assistant does help you, (she helped me do the jig saw puzzle). There isn't much direction so use the assistant to help. I chose the girl. When you are looking for objects, hint will help. In normal it takes over a minute for hint to fill. The graphics are clear and once I get the hang of it I think it will play smoothly. It certainly is different and I like that about it. I like the fact I can start over too if I want to by choosing New game. I'm off to buy it. Good luck fellow fishies!

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Mar 3, 12 7:45 AM
I'm still trying to fathom out what to do in the library and I agre about the huge cursor , i clicked the options to change it but nothing happened Will check for a WT then decide as I'd love to be able to get to the HO scenes .

[Post New]by easyplayer on Mar 3, 12 7:45 AM
[removed by moderator]
I love this game and think it's excellent. It has no sparkles, hand-holding, and most of all it works out a very important muscle of your body called the BRAIN.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 10:48:30 AM PST

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Mar 3, 12 7:50 AM
Oops just figured out how to change the cursor

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 3, 12 8:59 AM
Well, well well, now I know why the hint button was not doing anything for me, is because I had it on hard mode without even noticing until one of the posters said it had three modes.

Lo and behold I really like this game. People just need to try it, is worth it.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 9:15:42 AM PST

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Mar 3, 12 9:26 AM
cbtx wrote:This is as difficult a review as the game is.

When you begin, you are stuck trying to figure out a few adventure-type things in your detective's office and an alchemist's house. The process is very frustrating and I almost gave up more than once. But once the tasks and (difficult) puzzles were solved, you go to the area "between the worlds" and the pay-off is huge. All of sudden you are shown several hidden object scenes that are as different as I've seen.
These scenes require you to figure out the interaction necessary to find all the objects or you can get a tip from your assistasnt (as opposed to the actual hint button). The scenes are very beautiful and unique with objects to be found that I have NEVER seen in a previous game. This makes the game itself different, and I like it just because it's something I've never seen before.
The scenes are very challenging, but not impossible and I don't think the objects were too small, and the graphics are very good.
The puzzles are quite a challenge, but can be skipped.
So overall, I'm sure I'll be going against the grain on this one, but I liked it a lot after getting through the initial frustrations. I was sorry the trial was over, so I'll have to buy it to see what other surprises may await.
But on this one, absolutely try it first and try to be patient. Very patient.
For those who have asked for something different----here you go!

I totally agree!! It was so worth it (to me, anyway) to get to the second part of this beautiful game. I think there are some very original and pleasant "quirks" that I've not seen before.
A definite buy and thumbs up from me!

Go to: