Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Group play for RtMI started March 3rd, anyone can join in, we welcome more players!

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Mar 3, 12 1:12 AM
A couple of months ago popla, R-Mom and I started playing LF games together. We found out this was a lot of fun! We shared the love of LF games together, we discussed the games, we shared our frustrations and it turned out to be so much more fun than playing alone!

Our first threesome mini group play was a Nancy Drew game and we sort of took over an already existing thread with our game talk. So when we started to play Syberia we took another approach, we started a thread for the group play in the game forum AND we invited others in. We were joined by quite a few fishies and it was another great experience.

We are now starting our 5th group play. ( Information on our prior group plays can be found here, with clickable links to the group play threads:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/200019.page#4005806 )
This is also the thread where we hang out in between group plays and where we plan and arrange our next group plays.

Why a group play and how does this work?
Large file adventure games are great fun, but they are also difficult and sometimes really frustrating. Know that feeling that you have absolutely no clue as to what to do and you are wandering in circles and feel that you are making zero progress? Or worse, you get so frustrated you just give in, thinking LF game are just not for you and they are absolutely no fun.

That’s where group plays come in. We each start our own game, play at our own pace and discuss the game in the forum here. Playing together is a lot of fun, but please don’t make it into a race, just play at your own pace and enjoy! It really doesn’t matter if someone else figures things out faster. If you have questions on what to do, where to go, how the game works: ask them here. You will see that more people have the same problems and suddenly you don’t feel so silly anymore.

As said LF games can be though and even more for new players, so please remember: there are no silly questions. Just ask what you need to know and we try to help. And by we I mean all of us, not just popla and me, because we can all help one another out.

We do ask to avoid open spoilers. Since we all play at our own pace there will be players behind you who like to figure things out on their own or at least try to. If you think something might be a spoiler just white the message out.

How do I white out text to avoid spoilers?
popla wrote:Regarding whiting out text the easiest way I find to do it is: Write whatever you want to write in the reply box and then highlight the text you want to white out (using mouse or keyboard keys).

While the text is highlighted click the icon 5th along from the right in the row of icons above the reply box (it's a letter T with a colour palette). Then click the white colour square. This will change the colour of your text to white.

Then when you click preview to preview your reply you should notice a gap where your writing should be and highlighting it with your mouse should make it readable. So that others know that there is text hidden I put ** on either side of the whited out text. so a spoiler from me would look like this:

** spoiler content **
In your reply box the whited out text will look like this:

**[ color=#ffffff]spoiler content [/color]**

Can anyone join in?
Yes, anyone can join in, we welcome more players. In fact, the more the merrier! Just start your game and you are part of this group play! We only ask of you to make yourself known, so that we know who our fellow players are.

I will start a separate thread with a players list and as soon as you pop in, I will list you as actively playing. This list will be updated as we go, so you can see who is playing and who has finished.

I played the game already, but I’d like to help is that okay?
Yes, by all means, we would love to have the knowledge and help of people who have already finished the game. We put up a list of players but also a list of helpers. Helpers are people who have done at least one complete play through of the game and remember enough details to help others out. This is nothing fancy, but it is very handy and appreciated until we all get our bearings in the game and start helping each other out and especially those behind us. In all our prior group plays Mr_Russ has been a huge and consistent help, which we highly appreciate. If you want to help out, let me know and I put your name on the helpers list too.

I played the game already, but I still would like to join in, is that okay?
Yes, by all means join in and maybe you can help out too. Some LF games are just so good that it is very rewarding to replay them, so please join in on our group play fun too!

I am new to LF games, how does this game work?
I haven’t played this game myself, so I am not yet familiar with it. However, jboliver has played this game before and has offered to tell something about the settings of this game and how loading and save works. Look for her post on this page, it is important to everyone and can be very helpful, cause RtMI has some different features from other LF games but especially if you are new to LF games!

Walkthroughs and Universal Hint System
Every player, both seasoned and new ones, will get stuck. It kind of comes with LF games and being stuck together can be quiet fun, in a weird kind of way. However, sometimes you just need an additional clue to get you going again. We try to provide each other with those hints, but you are always welcome to use a walkthrough OR you could use UHS. I can’t give a link to UHS, but if you Google it in combination with the Return to Mysterious Island you’ll find it immediately. Walkthroughs have the disadvantage that you sometimes see too much information. UHS really is a hint system, rather than a plain walkthrough, it gives little hints to problems and there are usually multiple hints to one problem, so you can decide how much you need to know or want to know. Very well worth checking out!

Let the fun begin, group play of Return to Mysterious Island has now started!

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 1:22:25 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for RtMI started March 3rd, anyone can jo

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Mar 3, 12 1:14 AM
Players
This list will contain the names of the players of this group play.
If you want to join in just pop in and say that you've started and I'll list you as playing. If you have finished your game, I'll will update the list. This way we know who our fellow players are, who can help us out, or join in on our frustration and who has finished.

Helpers
This list will contain the names of any helpers of this group play.
If you've done an complete play through of the game and you want to help out, I'll will list you as helper. We will be very glad to have you onboard, since we are looking at a nice big group play we can use all the help we can get Being a helper doesn't exclude you from the game play, if you want to you can both play and help out.

Playerslist
..1 Aquatic finished
..2 Mr_Russ finished
..3 hughchik finished
..4 cherbtoo finished
..5 jboliver1999 finished
..6 marie1931 finished
..7 Catfish_girl finished
..8 glamma finished
..9 popla27 playing
10 sunshinej finished
11 LittleFish884 playing
12 luvtoread finished
13 govols2 playing
14 Jofer finished
15 justaques finished
16 mariannequilts finised
17 Rumbitothecore finished
18 Djrum525 playing
19 peeshee_1951 finished
20 hazelize finished
21birdie5 finished
22TideWaters finished
23PurrrThang playing
24RORGE playing
25amj0963 playing
26Simsane finished
27alvertis5706 finished
28Bellsprout finished
29Dialogue finished
30Tailteann finished
31RenaissanceMom playing
32Kapellan5 playing

Helperslist
1 Mr_Russ assisting
2 jboliver assisting
3 Jofer assisting

Edited on 03/31/2012 at 4:21:26 AM PST

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

Re:Group play for RtMI started March 3rd, anyone can join in, we welcome more players!

[Post New]by Aquatic on Mar 3, 12 1:32 AM
Aquatic here setting sail for Mysterious Island.
See you all on the beach!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Group play for RtMI started March 3rd, anyone can join in, we welcome more players!

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 3, 12 1:41 AM
Mr Russ signing in as player and helper.

hughchik
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by hughchik on Mar 3, 12 1:43 AM
hughchik ready with bucket & spade

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 3, 12 1:55 AM
I started last night at 12:01 when it was the 3rd March here

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Mar 3, 12 2:02 AM
Wow, it is a good thing I am an European Fishie AND that I skipped breakfast to put up this thread, you were really waiting for it!
I will start editing the players list in a bit, don't know if I have much time to play myself today, but I will check in here later.
Looking forward to all the FUN

@Cherb LMAO, you are really eager to start, have fun!

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Mar 3, 12 2:04 AM
JB here reporting for duty (insert salute here). I'll be playing along ( my 7th or 8th time)
I just wanted to say a few things about the game play because it is a little different from the others.
This is a 360° game. To go in and out of your inventory, right click. When you pick up items, they will be in the transit area on the top right of the inventory screen.You can tranfer these items to the 8 pages of inventory. On the top left of the inventory screen is the menu, phone and objectives tabs.There is a bar below the inventory pages that is for assembling and disassembling inventory items. When assembling items, you could need 2 or more. If all you need is 2, the finished combination will go up to the transit area. If you need more than two items, they will go down to that bar with one or more question marks to let you know you need more. Some things that you need to make like fire, can be done in a few different ways.
This game is also point driven. Some of the difficult things to accomplish will give you more points than doing it the easy way. Also, there are a few spots along the way where you can and will die. Trust me. I tried to do something very difficult and must have died at least 10 times. All you have to do is left click and you will be at the point right before you died. You don't lose points for dying (at least I don't think you do). The point part of this game makes it great to replay and try to get more points by doing some things in a different way. My highest score so far is in the 360-370 area.
The saving and loading of the game is about the same as previous games. Click on menu in the inventory screen that will bring up the choices. Make sure you remember the last date and time that you saved because that is how they are "titled".
Also, throughout the game (a few times) there will be earthquake shakes and rumblings. I just wait until it's done (a few seconds) because when the screen is shaking, it's hard to do stuff.
So everyone get your inner Macgyver out and enjoy the game.

ETA about saving and loading games.
2nd ETA about earthquakes.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 2:37:52 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Mar 3, 12 2:09 AM
@jboliver Thanks for your explanation, it sure sounds that inventory works a whole lot different than we are used to. It is good to be prepared.
Can we have a little bit of additional information on how to load and save a game, especially for any new LF players?

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Mar 3, 12 2:12 AM
Hi everyone
I've started the game and am already stuck
Can't play now(have to go on the top side) so I wish you a nice day and hope to see you later

marie

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 2:19:13 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Mar 3, 12 2:52 AM
Just did a little exploring myself and I have been picking up stuff on the beach. And like you all, I am feeling rather weak and famished Hope I can find/make myself something to eat soon. It is a good thing we have a big inventory, cause I've really been picking up stuff like crazy.

it's a bit annoying you can't name your saves, it just gives a date and time, I'll hope I can remember that.

ETA @jboliver, Ohh we do have earthquakes. I think I already had one very minor one, I thought it was the nvidea bug when my screen started flickering.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 2:54:03 AM PST

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Mar 3, 12 3:06 AM
I've already started this game a few month ago, maybe last year, I don't remember and gave up ....

Now, I'm wandering on the beach, wondering what to do. Completely forgot how to give food to mina

" fire is ready and I guess I need a knife .... how to do it .....Know I have to do something with the crabs .... always watching at me "

Fortunately, that's a sunny day on mysterious Island. Can walk and walk around without an umbrella

Yeah, Earthquakes

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 3:08:24 AM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Mar 3, 12 3:07 AM
Hi CFG, Marianne has started playing...I've got a nice inventory of stuff I've picked up on the beach. It's a beautiful beach, but I'm mighty hungry. Gotta do some more hunting.

popla, thanks for the PM. That was a lot of work PMing everyone! !

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Mar 3, 12 3:11 AM
marie a knife is made of metal. You might have to "sharpen it" with something . Did you find anything like that yet? Don't forget most of the food she will eat has to be cooked . Also those crabs can be tasty. Try catching them when they are both not looking at Mina .

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 3:13:16 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 3, 12 3:21 AM
CfG ... LOL, yes I was and am having fun with all the items you can pick up but am a bit worried about the dying part.

Marie ... crabs taste better cooked and you make your knife with metal and a stone .

I'm stuck too but further on in the game so don't read if you are only just starting because I don't want to spoil it for you all ...

How do I prepare the willow bark to make Jep better? I have bandaged his head with clean cloth but he won't eat as he is too weak .

Also I have made a bow but am stuck with the arrows and fishing rod ...

Wicker + acacia thorns + ? = Arrows?
Wicker + porcupine quills + ? = Arrows?
Worm + forked branch + coconut fibre + ? = fishing rod

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Mar 3, 12 3:28 AM
Sunshinej checking in going to enjoy my time on the sunny beach and ignore the wet, windy raw March day outside.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Mar 3, 12 3:38 AM
Found how to give food to mina
Not finished yet. The green bar is going up to the top

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 3:38:30 AM PST

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Mar 3, 12 3:40 AM
cherb for the fishing rod you need the worms, a branch or stick, some kind of string and some kind of hook . That's what I meant when I said there are a few ways to create things.

To heal Jep, you are going to need to "boil" the willow bark and another medicine. You have to make a container to hold the water to put the medicines in to boil .

For the arrows, did you find anything to use for the opposite end of the pointed part (my choice is quills) There could also be another choice for the stick part. Bamboo is lightweight.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Mar 3, 12 3:41 AM
Thanks, Jboliver and Cherb. that's what I remembered but I think I'm still missing something .....
Wow, so hard to stop playing

You're right, that's funnier with all of you guys

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Mar 3, 12 3:48 AM
Done
Mina is not hungry anymore

Go to: