grannnydee
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

abilities

[Post New]by grannnydee on Mar 5, 12 3:25 PM
HI All, Is it better to work character at time to gain abilities or work them out one after another? I keep using the one that adds time. It seems hard to get all 12 abilities of each character. or is there a faster way ? Thanks in advance

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:abilities

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 5, 12 5:20 PM
Guess it all depends on your personal preference. I tried to keep all my characters at about the same level of experience while going through the game, but others would max out one character at a time or only use 1-2 characters exclusively. It will take at least a couple of runs through the game to max out all the abilities and experience levels on all the characters if you're trying for the "teammate" (team player?) trophy. Also, when replaying levels you need to make sure that it doesn't say "already used" when you pick a character. Otherwise, you'll get no extra experience or upgrades to the abilities. Enjoy!

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on Mar 10, 12 6:12 PM
Hi just got the game last night and so far I don't find it very challenging. I also don't understand what the abilities give me I see no difference do I have to click on the abilities at bottom left of screen to use them or what. These games never come with full explanations on how to use things or what you're supposed to do or where to get to. Is the object to light up all the abilities?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 11, 12 10:42 AM
Hi zoeycoco, haven't seen you around in a while...I remember you from the Jewel Quest Heritage forum! Yes, this one's not as hard as JQH was but it did grow on me after I played it for a little while. Each character has a different set of 3 abilities that power up the more you play the character. The first one gets applied automatically as soon as the board starts and can't be used again in the board. The second and third ones have to be unlocked first by playing the character enough. To use the second ability, click on the person's picture near the bottom of the screen. The second ability has to recharge before it can be used again. The third ability activates any time you match 5 or more and can be used as many times as you can M5 per board. Enjoy!

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on Mar 15, 12 10:44 AM
Hi Synthpopaddict. You're right you helped me a great deal with j.q. heritage. I haven't been able to get into this j.q. sapp. dragon. Just too repetitive. wish they could stick to games with better boards, and forget the storyline

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on Apr 24, 12 4:27 PM
Hi Synthpopaddict. You're right about this game I'm starting to warm up to it too. How many levels does each character get? Or is there a limit on the amt. of levels they can go to? I was thinking I'd play one character at a time, but I'm on level 24 with one of them, and don't see an end in sight. Once all their abilities have been achieved, and they character's levels still go up, what happens?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 24, 12 7:53 PM
Hi Zoey, glad the storyline didn't run you off. Each character has 25 levels of experience. At level 25, the powerups are maxed out and the character's journal will be complete.

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on Apr 25, 12 7:56 PM
Hi Synthpop, so once you get to 25 you don't play that character any more? Are we supposed to be doing something with the journals, are there clues or something. I don't bother reading them, should I be? Just not interested in the story, but if they give clues, I would read them.

I'm finding it better, but it's still a little too repetitive and easy. Oh well. Is see there are other Jewel Quest, but not for mac.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 25, 12 10:40 PM
Hi again Zoey, you can play with any character no matter what their level. The journals are just an add-on to the main storyline so you can skip them along with the voiced over cutscenes if you want.

I've gone back and played all the way through with just one character after I got them maxed out and did that for all five of them. And maybe it's just because I've finished several times, but when all the people have full abilities, it doesn't really matter who you choose to play on a board because the powerups make it that much easier. Does make one wish that you could play the boards without using characters for a hardcore challenge. Have you made it to the Fire Realm? I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at one of the boards there the first time I saw it...

I checked the Mac M3 section, and the whole JQ series is there, except for the first one. Have heard that Azkend 2 is quite challenging although I haven't demoed it yet, but am planning to. If you haven't played the Cradle series, those are a close second favorite for me.

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on Apr 29, 12 7:30 PM
Hi, yes the fire realm is laughingly easy. But so are they all especially if you use the abilities, I try not too. and I'm playing in the advanced level only. What are the others if this is advanced?

There is one jewel quest Midnight something, that I can't get on Mac. I'll look again. also maybe I'll demo the Azkend 2 and check out the cradle series. thanks for the tips. talk soon.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 30, 12 5:23 PM
Hi Zoey, the reprise of "Donuts from Hell" didn't make you wonder if there were only going to be 35 moves?

If you mean Jewel Quest Mysteries: Trail of the Midnight Heart, that's a HOG with some very easy M3 tossed in. I played it on another site quite a while ago and it was OK. There was a thread in the Chit Chat Corner where someone was looking for hard M3s to play and a couple of fishies recommended Around the World in 80 Days, which I just got a few days ago. It's a puzzle type M3 and it's still giving me a run for the money! Happy game hunting...

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on May 4, 12 9:52 PM
Hi Synth, has this ever happen to you? I was at level 17 for all but one character and that one was at 25 when all of a sudden the game says I'm finished and starts rolling the credits for the game designers etc. I had to go through all the realms and then noticed that some had a four in the star and others had a five. I know that while I was playing I always got the five stars as I played all in advanced. Anyway, I ended up playing the 4 boards again and turned the 4's to 5's. When do you know you've been through the whole game. I know you said it maxes out at 15 but do you continue, are there new boards, or just replay the old ones? Do I then have to play in relaxed or the other mode?

You know "donuts from Hell" was help but at least it was challenging. Around the world in 80 days, I played a long time ago. I liked it at the time, but that was before JQ Heritage, and now it seems too easy. I guess after JQH nothing seems as challenging.

Have you finished the Sap. Dragon? what happens when all the levels are at 25?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 5, 12 2:29 PM
Hi Zoey, the last board is a dark blue one. If it started rolling the credits before that it sounds like something odd's going on with the game. Not sure why some of the boards were showing 4 stars either as each circle should show the highest number of stars won in all attempts at playing that board. It does take more than one full run through the game to get all the characters to level 25, and I've finished the game a few times on one player profile since I wanted to collect all the trophies. When all the characters get to level 25 you'll get at least one trophy, and everyone will have full power abilities and a completed journal. If you want all the trophies you have to play all the way through both in normal and advanced.

I have the SE only so don't know when the extra content in the CE unlocks, but once you've completed all 11 areas in the SE, the only thing that happens is that you can replay any of the boards in any area in any order and change the difficulty level if desired.

LOL I completed Around the World in 80 Days for only the second time a few days ago and I still had trouble with some of the boards in the U.S., so now I'm replaying Jewel Quest Heritage!

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on May 5, 12 6:59 PM
Hi Synth, so even if the stars all have 5 and you've finished all realms you go back in and replay the stars again? There's no bonus at the end, like something harder?

I've replayed JQH quite a few times since you last helped me. I've also play JQ3 a few times.

You finished Around the World pretty quick, wasn't that hard was it?

Well I don't know why I got the credits rolling before, but hasn't happened again. I'll keep pushing on.

Thanks.

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on May 5, 12 7:05 PM
Hi again, so are there only the 4 realms? Have you played in all the difficulty levels. They other two before advanced must be pretty easy. Is it worth playing them.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 6, 12 12:57 PM
Hi Zoey, in the SE there are only 4 realms. I finished the game both in normal and advanced, didn't play untimed. In normal the timer is 1-2 minutes longer per board. There aren't any bonus difficulty levels to unlock...I just wanted to get all the trophies. I also wanted to see how the boards would play with all the different characters.

I did finish Around the World in 80 Days pretty quickly but it was only because I literally played it all day long one weekend (12 hours)--I have a serious gaming addiction!

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on May 11, 12 3:57 PM
So I've been playing in advanced, all characters are at level 25 max. what do I do now, just keep playing. How do you know when you're done? Do I have to play the normal etc.?

Too repetitive, I'm sorry, I still find it a bit boring. Thought I was getting into it, but it really doesn't get better. I have to keep looking for something more challenging in the match 3. I guess once you've played Heritage, there isn't anything more challenging. You said you were going to start again, how are you doing? I may have to as well. talk soon.

BTW, it's not hard getting addicted to these games. When I first started playing heritage, it was hard not to keep going. It was the difficulty of some of the boards that would stop me, for a little while anyway, but then I'd have to try again. That's what I'm missing.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 11, 12 6:43 PM
Hi Zoey, you only have to play the normal mode if you want to get the trophies for completing normal mode (check the museum under the game options). Otherwise there isn't much else to do if you've gotten everyone to level 25.

Will have to agree with you that although it's not a bad game, it does get monotonous after a while if you're good at M3s. As far as challenges go, I find that it's different in each game. Some games are hard because of the timer being more aggressive, some are hard because the board shapes require careful planning to solve or the tiles cascade out without any patterns to them, some are hard because the gameplay is something I'm not used to as much. Not sure how many games you have, but there's always demoing stuff from the back catalog until something new comes out.

I'm at 95% on my current JQH run. Hope you find something good to play soon!

zoeycoco
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by zoeycoco on May 13, 12 4:38 PM
thanks, I guess I'll try the normal, then look for something else. good luck with jqh.

talk soon.

Go to: