bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Borgia: Faith and Fear

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 7, 12 12:24 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Borgia: Faith and Fear? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Borgia: Faith and Fear page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Borgia: Faith and Fear

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 7, 12 12:24 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Mar 7, 12 12:58 AM

Edited on 03/07/2012 at 2:55:14 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 7, 12 1:26 AM
I like this game somewhat. Now with this said my review is based on the demo. The objects are very small and hard to find. Not in the Hog scene's. I'm a little confussed on the storyline so far. And the demo didn't quit tell me enough as to what's going on. Although I know this is a successfull T. V. show and I know about history. I felt so far in the demo the story left me wanting to understand's what's going on. And I got a little bored. There are alot of Hog scene's for you Hog lover's. Of course NO Widescreen. I know I bring this up alot, but those of us who have widescreen, it matter's alot!! I'm on the fence about buying this game. I think it's a good enough game, but I'll probably only get it with a punch card/DD/COTW. There's only voiceover's in the cut scene's. I definitely think this game is worth a try. And like I said, for me I will use a punch card only if I decide to buy it. But check it out for yourself. Enjoy!

NO: Widescreen
YES: Full Screen/Window's
NO: Voiceover's (only on cut scene's)
NO: Journal
YES: Hog Scene's (alot of them)
NO: Custom Cursor
Sound: Music/Effects/Video Voice Cut Scene's
Theme: Historical Hog

I rate this game: “PORK BELLY” Mediocre game
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre. Middle of the road game. Not bad and Not great.
‘ ‘
(o)

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Mar 7, 12 1:28 AM
I almost feel I shouldn't write a review because I stopped so quickly.
I am sorry to say this, because I love historical games and this one should have a good story.

I found the graphics bleak to look at....and I need some really good gaming and storyline if I am going to look at dull grey scenes. Perhaps once out of the first scene it will improve, should improve as the Borgia's were very wealthy.

On the one HOS I played, it was small, crowded and some objects were so lightly tinted that they hardly showed up at all. I used the hint buttom five times.

On the pro side, the Hint Button recharges very quickly.

I found the items to look for, in the first scene very prosaic and the plot plodded along slowly.

I am sure there may be a gamer out there who likes this game, but it felt to me like an effort from someone new to making games.
I won't be buying it, nor finishing the demo unless some really stellar reviews show me that I stopped too soon.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Mar 7, 12 1:42 AM
Well we did ask for new challenges: The mechanics take some getting used to. The story is very wordy. It helps to know your Borgia family dynamics in order to follow the story. There are many hidden object scenes, all so far fit the time period. so far the puzzles are a mix of easy to Huh? The hint system helps to keep you from searching a room needlessly allowing you to keep moving on to the next given assignment. Unfortunately the game does not flow easily, first you have your mini conversations then you have a couple hidden object scenes followed by a couple of puzzles, then repeat. The game very quickly becomes tedious. Very disappointing.

Edited on 03/07/2012 at 1:53:07 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 7, 12 2:43 AM
Generally speaking, this is a mediocre, ho-hum game for something different.

There are a lot of HOS which are well done.

But then the game starts to show it's deficiencies.
--as MissLisa says, NO widescreen.
--hint system leaves much to be desired. You are too frequently left with no clue as to what to do next, or how. I am not a fan of sparkles and such, but a nudge would help.
--but on the other hand, the game does tell you what needs to be done----you are just on your own to figure out how.
--it seemed limited in the number of screens/scenes----I spent the whole hour among just the 4 rooms of a villa----so it seemed rather plodding and sluggish.
--the music is a continuous, very short loop.

So the subject is vaguely interesting, but the game and gameplay is less so. The HOS kind of keep you involved, but the pace is so slow that unless it picks up pretty quick it's not going to keep your attention.
Unless I see some other reviews that say it gets a lot better, this one goes to the punch card/DD/COTW stack----nothing more.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Mar 7, 12 2:52 AM
This isnt for me. I also thought the items in the hidden scenes were small and not real clear. I think I would have liked the storyline if I could have gotten further. Game crashed at the fisrt puzzle. Just goint to uninstalled and forget about it.

Alot fishies said it was a new format but it looked like an older game to me. No bells and whistles for me.

Happy gaming

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 7, 12 2:52 AM
I didn't care that this game crashed after 30 mins. I was wondering how or if I was going to give it a fair shot by sticking the full hour out.

I've come across worse, but not by much. If I were to learn that these devs were new to this business and were on a limited budget, not to mention limited abilities, it would not surprise me at all.

Such great potential, what with the story they picked, so little effort.

A complete flop.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 7, 12 3:33 AM
This is sort of blah blah boring. Graphics are not great and when I completed a mini game it just sat there and didn't do anything in order to continue I had to skip. I'm with Miss Lisa, "pork belly". I'm also with Sheerija, It crashed on me about half way through and with Care_916 an old game with no real story, no modern techniques that we have all grown to love, like Mystery Trackers: Black Isle. I'm going to uninstall and wait for something better to come along.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 7, 12 4:15 AM
I wasn't going to attempt a review since I didn't get to play enough for a fair shake. But I will say that it may be a fun game for those who hate sparkles, I encountered none. Or for those who like a lot of decent HOS. But that seems rather oxymoronic, oil and water don't mix well with gamers.

You find your hidden objects scenes by randomly clicking on whatever you see or don't see in a room and surprise, the object meant nothing but a gateweay for lists to find in that new window. Graphics don't seem to be congruent with the location scenes vis a vis HOS in quality or ambience. Story unfolds tediously through exchanges of dialogue. Inventory items aren't titled so don't even try to hover or click to identify or use wrongly, they want to get stuck on your cursor or somewhere they don't belong. Right clicks don't seem to shake them loose back to the bar. Like everything else, cumbersome and annoying.

The music isn't exactly of the era, c1492 I think, and very relaxing for openers, then I personally would have liked something a bit peppy to keep me awake. The gameplay certainly wasn't but if anything lulling. If you can call it excitement or stimulation you do get it when it folds and crashes a few times. If you can get back to the game it may pull some emotion out of you if still awake by cursing the repeat scene or stuff to find for a puzzle you already did. Save is totally random. And puzzles are up to you to figure what to do and how. It isn't your fault the sweet spots for placing inventory aren't user friendly. Maybe that is part of the gameplay, letting you guess and then frothing at the mouth when the right things are right, the pixels just aren't in the right spots.

Other than those observations, the Hint recharge fast in HOS where you don't need them but not there when you have to play psychic how or what to do next.

So, point and click all you want, you may just stumble upon another HO with word list but find it isn't worth the trouble, nor the trouble to get back in the game when weird tech thing happen. Something just isn't right here, maybe it is too old to like W7 64 bit, and I'm too old to wait for a fix. My pccs will expire before I've a will to try this one again.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Mar 7, 12 4:17 AM
heatherington wrote:This is sort of blah blah boring. Graphics are not great and when I completed a mini game it just sat there and didn't do anything in order to continue I had to skip. I'm with Miss Lisa, "pork belly". I'm also with Sheerija, It crashed on me about half way through and with Care_916 an old game with no real story, no modern techniques that we have all grown to love, like Mystery Trackers: Black Isle. I'm going to uninstall and wait for something better to come along.

Dull, boring, dreary, I can't think of anything I liked about it. Didn't even finish the demo.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 7, 12 4:21 AM
This is maybe the worst hog game this year. The graphic is okay, but the gameplay is so bad, the objects are so tiny. For me its a definete no buy. Thats really sad, because the storyline with the Borgia has definete potential

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 7, 12 4:48 AM
I don't think it is the worst game but it far from the best. The HOS are a little fuzzy sometimes and the list items are often very small or very faint.

One reviewer thought this game had too much dialog and another did not like the music. I have seen many talkier games and the music was a little boring but not annoying which is a good thing. The music did make me sleepy.

One reviewer seemed to think the Tutorial was too much, I did not find that to be the case. You are told what to do, "find the keys", "open the chest", etc. These actions seem obvious and maybe need no explanation. OTOH, if we were not told what to do some people would be lost and complain. It may have been better to put these instructions in the Hint system.

I know there is a TV series and I think this may be based on that. I do not get the series and did not see any reference to this being based on the show though I did assume it was from the photos. I checked the Credits but got tired of the programming credits and did not watch until the end. if this is connected to the TV series, there should be credits for that further along.

I agree that this game is boring. Different music may have added some excitement and this would have seemed a better game. Sadly it is not for me.

Edited on 03/07/2012 at 4:49:55 AM PST

[Post New]by Jackares on Mar 7, 12 5:04 AM
Not a game I would buy!!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 7, 12 5:09 AM
I liked this game after I played for a bit. The story is very interesting. I would get this only with a coupon though. It does have a very old feel. Like the games I played years ago.
I do have coupons to use but am on the fence even then. It scares me when therre is no walkthrough offered. I always have to wonder if they are hiding the length when they do this.

I don't believe that it is so difficult that I would need the walk through for help but just to judge length.

Have to go to work now or I would check other sites for one. Maybe when I get home.

You really should try this but play at least 30 min. before you give up. It seems to get better the further you get into it

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Mar 7, 12 5:51 AM
Well they sure didn't skimp on HO scenes. If you aren't talking to someone or looking for someone or something, you're doing a HO scene. It has a really grayish look to it. I hate HO games but this one I just click on things and I found them all pretty fast. I'm not going to buy though because I know something better will be coming soon, I hope.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Mar 7, 12 6:52 AM
Loved filling the suitcase but after that...."go talk to so and so" Really? I hated the instructions. The puzzles were different but the gameplay wasn't a grabber. The HOS were done well I thought. No buy..

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 7, 12 7:19 AM
I played the demo, the game is good as a hidden object game, the graphics look fine to me, the music is a littler bit monotone but you always can turn it off.

The story is good, actually, if you are familiar with the history of the Borgians. I think the plot is quite interesting.

The puzzles I encountered were not bad at all actually in the easy side, the HOscenes were nice and I had not problem finding the objects.

It has too much instructions also, that I can do without, perhaps the game can be more challenging if the instructions were option out.

The thing that annoyed me the most about the game is that it felt kind of boxy I am so use to have games filling my screen nicely and this doesn't at all.

Beside that I think the game is worth it if you are into nothing but Objects scenes.

Will I buy it?, yes, I will, but no right now, maybe on sale.

Edited on 03/07/2012 at 7:22:10 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 7, 12 7:20 AM
sorry double post.

Edited on 03/07/2012 at 7:21:35 AM PST

Go to: