bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Egypt: Secret of five Gods

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 13, 12 1:21 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Egypt: Secret of five Gods? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Egypt: Secret of five Gods page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Egypt: Secret of five Gods

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 13, 12 1:22 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 13, 12 3:21 AM
Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but there's something about this game I find very engaging and probably quite addictive! Graphics are nothing special; reminiscent of the first 'Timebuilders' game, pretty basic but clear enough. The gameplay is easy enough to learn if you keep the tutorial on; get food and resources for buildings which can be upgraded later in the game, get more workers, mine gold etc etc.

There are bonuses like faster running or more resources which are earned by collecting water from the wells. You can also build a barracks to send a soldier to remove warriors obstructing the paths. It is similar in some ways to MKFTP; far more basic but I found it more fun to play. The music fits the Egyptian theme and in between the first two levels there was a match 3 type mini game. There are achievements to earn as well.

I can't tell how long it will be but it's a relaxing way to spend a few hours. The timer seems generous enough and you can replay levels to earn the gold awards if, like me, you need to get them This is on my 'to buy' list

ETA: I got asked to install Direct X during the download. Since this request came from Microsoft I agreed; note on the next page you get the 'install the Bing task bar' message. Unclicked that option! My Direct X was up to date so no install took place.

Edited on 03/13/2012 at 3:46:20 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 13, 12 4:16 AM
I can't add much to what angelfish106 has already said because I'm not much of a TM player.
But I will say that I found this one VERY addictive and ran out of time. (much too embarrassed to say at what level)
Graphics were acceptable and the tasks were fun to do.
The game opened in a very narrow screen so I had to change my res to get the usual full screen which is kind of a pain (certainly not wide, just 1024 x 768), but that's ok----I just have to rearrange the icons when I go back to the recommended res.
But it's a more interesting TM game than I usually see----speaking from a novice point of view. So it's a buy for me----it'll be a good one to start trying to learn these TM games!

ETA: I got the Direct X notice, too, and just cancelled it----plays fine since I'm already up to date on that.

Edited on 03/13/2012 at 4:19:05 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 13, 12 5:47 AM
As is advertised on the main game page, this is a Strategy game, not a Time Management game.

There is a timer, but you can continue your play even after it ran out. You can either get gold, silver or, if you don't make it within the time given, bronze.
For each time you make it to gold, you get a piece of a mosaic and something else, which will be used to make up a mural.

There are also achievements for various things, like earning 5000 points and such.

Like cbtx, I had to lower the resolution of my computer to 1024x768 in order to get a full screen (not widescreen). Seeing that this is a gfi game, and apart from the last one that was offered here and which I liked, I don't much care for gfi. This is the second game I have demoed, which needed a manual lowering of the screen resolution for me to get full screen.

I was also asked whether I want to install DirectX, but cancelled it - have the highest already - and therefore didn't get the "Bing task bar" offer, like Angelfish did.

--- --- ---

Now to the game itself. I like it. I didn't think I would, but I do. This game had me thinking right from the second level.

I like the little people and their animation - quite well done. And I like the gameplay.
This is a rather easy and, as Angelfish said, relaxing game, where you can continue even after the timer has ran out.

Graphics are not as bad as I had feared. Not to be compared with "Royal Envoy", but rather with "The Timebuilders: Pyramid Rising", which I also enjoy playing.

All in all a fun game for Strategy/TM lovers. And although I am more of a HOG fan, this is definitely a buy for me.

--- --- ---

Edited to add that after reading Satexasgirl's comment about not being able to skip the riddles, I have decided not to buy this game after all. I really wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of the game, and not being able to continue just because I wasn't able to do one of the riddles. It's a real shame...

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 1:36:26 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 13, 12 6:39 AM
I also got the DirectX notice and just cancelled it and the game works fine on my machine and without doing any changes at all to my screen resolution but I am using a "square" monitor as I hate widescreen ones so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

One day ****'s golden chariot disappeared from the sky and so those naughty gods Seth and Anubis destroyed everything with a massive sandstorm except for Bastet's temple at the very edge of the area. Bastet is the goddess of fertility and joy and she decides to restore everything they have destroyed and chooses you, playing as Hatshepsut, to be her priestess.

The graphics of the game are adequate and the music is in keeping with the theme but, while I found it OK in short bursts, I found having it on constantly too much.

There are Awards to earn which were fairly easy however the last one will be impossible for me though as it requires completing 10 levels in gold time and I have only been able to manage getting gold for the first 4 levels and the next 3 I got silver ... I am sure I will be down to bronze in the very near future .

As you complete each level you earn a piece of mosaic for the Achievements Mural which, if you get a gold time, gives you a precious gem inlay ... there are a few grey areas in my mosaic but that is something I shall have to put up with being as I am an arthritic slowcoach . I am just pleased that I can continue playing the game without being forced to abandon it just because I didn't achieve a gold time .

I quite like this game ... apart from the fast clicking in one of the levels where you had to protect your workers from scarabs flying around. Even though it hurt I replayed this level in a bid to improve my strategy and I noticed that each time the scarabs appeared the number of times varied and I wonder if it had something to do with how many resources I had amassed . Anyway the crocodiles were much easer to get rid of and I much preferred that method .

Have fun playing .

Cherb

ETA .. Can you believe that you can't mention the god R*a without being bleeped ... good job he doesn't know about it or somebody would get struck down

Edited on 03/13/2012 at 6:46:05 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 13, 12 7:57 AM
just my type of game, graphics are ok, the gameplay is very addicting,, i like the one m3 type mini game to...off to buy

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Mar 13, 12 10:22 AM
Yay!!! Love the game, another great strategy/TM and only TM if you want it to be, cause you can finish a level when you get it done.
Graphics are ok, but great strategy is needed to get gold. When you finally figure out what to click to build, increase supplies, run faster, it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, I am just excited to have a GOOD game after sooooo many HOG games.
You have to clear the roads to get to items to finish the game, keep your resources up by building the food, quarry and of course houses to increase men to work, and a barracks to get a military man to take care of the rogues, I guess you can call them that, Anyway, just a little giddy.
Great Game!

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Mar 13, 12 12:17 PM
This is a good game, not unlike Timebuilders. It's a fun Strategy and a way to spend time waiting for the TM games to come out. VERY hard to collect resources and get gold but with the ability to keep playing after the hourglass fills up, it helps you get through tougher levels.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Mar 13, 12 1:19 PM
I like the concept of the game and I like that you have to plan out your strategy.

The problem I have with the game is the controls. They are cumbersome at best. You have to click 3 times to go collect food from the farm. Once on the farm, once on the picture of the little man (and sometimes twice) to get him to go to the farm. It takes a second for the requirements to come up to build a building or clear an obstacle (PRECIOUS TIME), so I am constantly wasting clicks trying to see if I can do it yet.
There are no instructions on how to trade in the market and I still haven't been able to figure that out.

I'm usually a wiz at these games, but this one is starting to frustrate me with all the fiddly controls. A TM/Strategy game should be intuitively obvious and easy to make tasks happen.
May be buying this anyway just because I'm starved for a good strategy game, but so far I'm not happy with the controls.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Mar 13, 12 1:48 PM
I have no idea why I love this game. It is a challenge, I suppose. I agree with most of the previous comments (cumbersome, icky graphics, common TM game) and yet I am off to buy. I guess after I played the REs three times I needed a new TM/Strat game.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Mar 13, 12 3:53 PM
For the most part I like the game. The first few riddles were decent, but Thot's and Isis's harder. I'm currently stuck on Isis's and I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I really wish the developers had had offered a skip here-I'm just not fast enough. If I had known that I would have such a hard time completing two different levels such as these I doubt I would have purchased the game. I was never much of a strategy/ TM fan, but I do enjoy games similar to this and have several like it. Graphically those are all much better games and they run much smoother than this. I play on a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7. I had changed my screen resolution as others had mentioned in order to get the game to run full screen but found that if I switched between the game and the desktop more than once I had problems with my cursor. So having switched back, I'm off to give the game another chance.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Mar 14, 12 12:28 AM
The game play is addictive and fun if you're a TM lover, which I am.

My only complaint is that the game is way too short! It's really not as long as most TM games are. I was disappointed.

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Mar 14, 12 4:57 AM
This is the type of game I usually love but for some reason this one is just not "grabbing" me. I really can't put my finger on it. Just don't care for it. Also, I think the graphics are sub-par. Sorry for the "non-review" but I just can't be more specific.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Mar 14, 12 11:26 AM
I'm sounding a bit like a spoilsport after the many good reviews, but I didn't like it and stopped before the demo time was over. I usually love this type of game and so was really looking forward to it. The graphics are nice enough, the tasks are varied enough to be interesting and I liked it that you could get an additional worker by building a house.

Still, there was more I didn't like:
1. Insufficient tutorial - I found out about the houses by chance. When you get the marketplace, it is said that you can trade surplus goods there, but it is not said HOW to trade these goods. Another thing I found out by chance. The bonus types are not explained (granted, the names usually speak for themselves, but still...)
2. The process of gathering water and then "cashing it in" for the bonus seemed a bit tedious, just like the controls.
3. To get resources from the farm, gold mine etc., you need to send a worker there, they don't grow/mine automatically. The worker goes there and after a while returns with one whooping resource (number increases with updates). Very tedious. Either let them grow automatically or give the chance of placing a working there permanently, but this was annoying.
4. Scarabs! So far they were just in one level, but they were awful! I hate click-manias in games, but at least in other versions, there is just the occasional thing to click on. Here, there were about 5 instances where three scarabs at once had to be clicked away, and they moved very quickly. That alone nearly made me stop the game.

I could have lived with the first two points, but the last two just spoiled the gameplay too much for me. Still, it's nice that so many people enjoy the game .

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Mar 14, 12 6:32 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this game. I love good TM Builders of this type, but all in all the gameplay was not satisfying. Too many clicks. Not enough automation. Slow movements. Cumbersome playing board. (Might be better on much larger screens.)

One of the beauties of TM Builders is the auto-play aspects. I love this, and it provides a satisfying counterbalance to the more manual aspects of playing the game. This game simply didn't have enough auto-play to give me that type of satisfaction.

My conclusion so far is definitely not an automatic buy, but I'll give it some thought and possibly purchase later. The only reason I'm considering it really is because there is such a dearth of this type of game out there.

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Mar 14, 12 11:25 PM
not wild about this game - was ok for the demo, but can't see myself wanting to play much more of it ... hated the scarabs ... water collection was hokey ... only played one of the puzzles, it was ok ... for the main game play, tho, i much prefer the island tribe game - very similar without the scarabs and puzzles

[Post New]by artisticsoul on Mar 15, 12 12:15 PM
I loved this game ... challenging and very addictive. In the various awards sections, I appreciate that the designers of this game created different puzzles that didn't require constant clicking like other builder strategy games do. However, there was furious clicking in this game with the scarabs attacking the workers. It’s frustrating and that is my only real criticism.

The instructions or help wasn't all that great, but in some ways that made the strategy all that much better to figure out how I would best utilize each maneuver. Overall, I give thumbs up for this game. Much appreciation goes out to the creators of this game. Thank you.

P.S. I got gold on some levels without getting the gems. And I didn’t understand why I didn’t get the gems as it was before the gold time ran out. At the end of the game I found out I needed the gems on each level for the Achievements Mural. Therefore, I will need to go back and play the game all over. Just thought this tip might help others to know that you can get gold on a level with out getting the gems.

As for getting gold on all levels, I literally had to play certain levels so many times (like level 13 – probably 30 times) until I had my strategy down to exact detail. If I didn’t get the gems, maybe I didn’t really receive gold for that level. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 15, 12 5:47 PM
I am so on the fence. I LOVE LOVE LOVE RoR & MKFTP & Royal Envoy and own all of them. AND even liked the timebuilders series (well all 2 of them!) But this one has me up and down. I didn't like that the walkthrough was so minimal in that I had to quit the game in the 3rd level because I could get everything except the runner bonus and had to come back to the forums to find an answer. I never even got to the puzzles or quiz's or what ever that you all have been talking about in my hour of free play so cant even comment on those. I think this game will have a good length so there is that, I think I may put this on my buy if it's a DD list and just wait, or if there isn't any other good strategy/TM/adventure games this month and I have to fill a punch card for a credit I may buy. But Try it you never know it just may be for you!

JMO

Lean

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 5:49:14 PM PST

meb28
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by meb28 on Mar 15, 12 7:40 PM
I bought this game and completed it I believe one of the awards is a gold level for spending five hours in the game. (and no I didn't do that in one sitting) Not a bad little game. The gameplay itself was relatively straight forward and easily explained by the tutorial. The graphics were fun if simple and the riddles weren't that challenging (one was but I'm not telling which). The animation of the little workers was nice.
On the downside the music was a little repetitive. I thought some of the gold level time limits were a little ridiculous given the obstacles in your path on some of the levels but other than the music these are really my only complaints. Hope this helps some of you other fishies in your gaming decisions!

Go to: