textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Silent Nights: The Pianist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 15, 12 12:32 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Comments for Silent Nights: The Pianist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 15, 12 12:54 AM
Wallpapers and extras locked until after completing the game means it's a NO BUY. When will the devs ever learn to LISTEN?!!? Why do they care whether we use the wallpaper while playing the game or after we're done? How does that harm them in any way??? So for me anyway, since the extras are what we pay for with the CE I'll wait for the SE.. not gonna pay for stuff they won't let me use. Funny thing is they let you access the SG in the trial so at least they paid attention to that... oh well eventually enough people will stop buying with these restrictions and they'll fix it.

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Mar 15, 12 12:57 AM
Is it just me or does this game seem too easy? And I am playing the complicated mode. Although I haven't played the whole demo, so I am hoping it will be more complicated further on. I will probably buy as I always do

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 12:59:23 AM PST

[Post New]by mieke16holding on Mar 15, 12 1:12 AM
I too found the game very easy in complicated mode. The graphics were very nice but just not quite as good as games like Dark Strokes, Natural Threat etc. There is nothing very different about this game - usual HO scenes with a couple of ways of finding things, the same puzzles, a dark story and NO journal which means you have to note things down or go back and look!

I found the dialogue a little annoying but at least it wasn't too long; and the font changed through the demo! Little things like that tell me that it is rushed and not checked very well prior to release.

The characters are okay - same as so many other games and I keep hoping for something a little different.

By the end of the demo I was sick of an out of tune 'Silent Night'....

I also wonder about the wallpapers not being available but on this occasion, when the demo ended and a number of scenes were on the screen, I saved one to desktop and it worked!

I will probably buy it as well as I do like getting through the game and seeing what happens and sometimes, they do get a lot better. But for those who want more of a challenge, then you will easily do this game and be left a little flat.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 12 1:34 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:Wallpapers and extras locked until after completing the game means it's a NO BUY. When will the devs ever learn to LISTEN?!!? Why do they care whether we use the wallpaper while playing the game or after we're done? How does that harm them in any way??? Funny thing is they let you access the SG in the trial so at least they paid attention to that... oh well eventually enough people will stop buying with these restrictions and they'll fix it.

With no disrespect meant, I personally don't give a hoot about wallpapers etc when I play/purchase a game. I have however noticed that others think that this is important, so I understand the annoyance at these not being enabled until the game has been completed, but IMHO this stance against not purchasing CEs is on the "lighter" side compared to other aspects - especially if they are simply rehashed versions of other games etc.
At least the SG has been enabled in the trial version for this game as it should be to enable those of us to assess its worth as a tool to assist us if we are expected to pay double the price for a game.
I am still waiting for the game to install, so I can't comment on its worthiness etc, but the aforementioned factors seem to be a pet peeve (like mine when the SG is not enabled in a trial), rather than a relevant reason for not purchasing this game.
That said, I am off to try this for myself (with or without wallpapers - I can set up screen dumps and edit them if I want to use them in my Jigsaw Game or pop them onto my desktop), and hope I have more enlightening information about the actual game to report.
Cheers

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 1:36:32 AM PST

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Mar 15, 12 1:58 AM
this one is just not doing it for me its very flat theres an annoying lag between scenes the hog scenes are very cluttered all in all i will probably but it as a standard edition but for me just not worth double the price

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Mar 15, 12 2:00 AM
Looking at the screen shots and the video - the brown and grey tones put me off. I like a bit of colour in my games, even the creepy ones.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 12 2:06 AM
MsFreddie wrote:Looking at the screen shots and the video - the brown and grey tones put me off. I like a bit of colour in my games, even the creepy ones.

Hi MsFreddie,
Again no disrespect meant regarding your opinion, however, an informative comment, be it yay or nay here should be based on more that screenshots and the online video of the game.
Cheers

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 15, 12 2:09 AM
Well I'm enjoying the game There are a few different kinds of mini games which is refreshing. It's set in post war France which is also a little different.
The HO scenes are repeated which can put some people off but I don't mind so much.
Think I'll go back to it now - just popped in to see what others thought and was surprised to see the game wasn't going down so well. Give it a try at any rate!

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Mar 15, 12 2:19 AM
Well I played the demo and I found myself really enjoying the game. As I commented earlier I thought the game started off pretty easy but it did get better the more I played. I think everyone should at least give it a try.

However, I've now decided to wait for the SE to come out before I buy as I don't feel it's quite worth the CE price. I have been spending way too much $$ on these lately and I really have to start limiting myself and be a bit more choosy.

Happy gaming everyone !!!

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 2:55:24 AM PST

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Mar 15, 12 2:20 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
MsFreddie wrote:Looking at the screen shots and the video - the brown and grey tones put me off. I like a bit of colour in my games, even the creepy ones.

Hi MsFreddie,
Again no disrespect meant regarding your opinion, however, an informative comment, be it yay or nay here should be based on more that screenshots and the online video of the game.
Cheers

Yet you commented on this game while waiting for it install and before you had tried it yourself? How is your comment any more informative than mine??

I am still waiting for the game to install, so I can't comment on its worthiness etc, but the aforementioned factors seem to be a pet peeve (like mine when the SG is not enabled in a trial), rather than a relevant reason for not purchasing this game.
That said, I am off to try this for myself

Do as I say but not as I do?? No disrespect meant....

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 15, 12 2:32 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
With no disrespect meant, I personally don't give a hoot about wallpapers etc when I play/purchase a game. I have however noticed that others think that this is important, so I understand the annoyance at these not being enabled until the game has been completed, but IMHO this stance against not purchasing CEs is on the "lighter" side compared to other aspects - especially if they are simply rehashed versions of other games etc.
At least the SG has been enabled in the trial version for this game as it should be to enable those of us to assess its worth as a tool to assist us if we are expected to pay double the price for a game.
That said, I am off to try this for myself (with or without wallpapers - I can set up screen dumps and edit them if I want to use them in my Jigsaw Game or pop them onto my desktop), and hope I have more enlightening information about the actual game to report.
Cheers

It's a super easy, super short game so since I won't need the SG and I can't access the extras while I play which is the only time I care about them why on earth would I be willing to pay double price for it??? I can wait a couple weeks and have it for the SE price. (Or even free with a code.) I mentioned the wallpaper because that's what I use the most but I also like to enjoy the other things... artwork... music etc... while I play. Once I finish the game I'm pretty burned out on it and the last thing I feel like doing is clicking thru the extras. So, no disrespect taken but I still won't pay them double price for nothing. I did make an exception to this on one CE that revealed the extras during the game play... you found extra hidden items and as you did more and more of the extras were revealed. That was fun... at least they were useful and interesting while playing.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 15, 12 2:36 AM
I have 2 problems with this game.

First, navigation is not 100%. I don't like staring at a black screen even if it's only for 5 secs.

Second, it reminds of Mystery Agency: Visions of Time's flat, matt, dull graphics.

It's a CE. It should have more going for it.

Hopefully as it opens up and I get more into it, it will improve. No guarantees of course, so it'll just have to be hit or miss.

If it doesn't improve, devs won't be spared.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 12 2:51 AM
MsFreddie wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:

Hi MsFreddie,
Cheers

Yet you commented on this game while waiting for it install and before you had tried it yourself? How is your comment any more informative than mine??

That said, I am off to try this for myself

Do as I say but not as I do?? No disrespect meant....

Oh, no disrespect perceived. But if you notice I was not posting an actual comment on the game myself as I haven't played it yet (but it seems I might be able to do so soon even though we have major thunder and lightning here that usually plays havoc with my Internet), rather on the comments either regarding aspects of a game that IMHO are not majorly relevant to its worthiness etc as a CE (hm, wallpapers as opposed to the actual length/fun/challenge of the game), or a comment based on the screenshots/video rather than having trialled the game.
As you are also aware, there are a lot of supposed informative "official" Reviews of games here based on (sometimes) very short trials.
So, maybe we are actually on the same page so to speak - comments/reviews etc should be about the actual game having played at least most of the full trial, not about the availability of the extras (except for the SG that should always be a part of the trial for a CE IMO if we are expected to pay for it), rather than first impressions based on the info on this site (I mean, all of the games have "fantastic gameplay" in the blurb) and "what's not available".
Well, it seems that I am finally off to play, so as I said earlier, I hope I have some more useful information about the game itself.
Cheers.

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 2:53:45 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Mar 15, 12 3:14 AM
I played 30 mins of the demo and realised I was bored! I will keep this on my computer and play again later, to see if it is me or the game that just isn't right.
I was also thoroughly irritated by the long breaks between scenes. I will have to see if I am just being picky or I really don't want this one!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 12 3:17 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:(with my earlier response clipped)
It's a super easy, super short game so since I won't need the SG and I can't access the extras while I play which is the only time I care about them why on earth would I be willing to pay double price for it??? I can wait a couple weeks and have it for the SE price. (Or even free with a code.) I mentioned the wallpaper because that's what I use the most but I also like to enjoy the other things... artwork... music etc... while I play. Once I finish the game I'm pretty burned out on it and the last thing I feel like doing is clicking thru the extras. So, no disrespect taken but I still won't pay them double price for nothing. I did make an exception to this on one CE that revealed the extras during the game play... you found extra hidden items and as you did more and more of the extras were revealed. That was fun... at least they were useful and interesting while playing.

Thanks for posting a more complete assessment of this game for us all to read.
I for one appreciate the efforts of those who post their impressions of games here (especially when we are being presented with CEs), but look for information about the actual game, not the wallpapers etc as I have already mentioned.
I do not use SGs myself (ok, I have peeked a couple of times in desperation), but appreciate that this is important.
And I too feel that oftentimes we are being asked to pay double the price for nothing other than our impatience to wait for the SE and a free WT - especially when the game is easy, re-hashed or short.
Cheers

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 15, 12 3:42 AM
Sorry to bring this up.
My pet peeve is sparkles in the hard mode

As far as the "extras" not being available until after the game is complete, (other than the SG in this case) that is like buying a bike and not being able to turn the lights on at night, until you have ridden it for X number of miles! If we pay for these DP (double price) games, then everything SHOULD be available from the outset! I for one, do not understand some dev's.

Having had my rant.......................... IMHO this is one of the easiest games that I have come across in a long time. Way too easy for the money.
Yes, we have the dark and dreary again and we have the inevitable rain, to make it appear even more miserable! LOL! BUT, I can appreciate all of the work that has gone into this game, quite ingenious!

Whatever you decide, have fun everyone

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 15, 12 3:43 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:...
As you are also aware, there are a lot of supposed informative "official" Reviews of games here based on (sometimes) very short trials...

I just noticed that! I don't usually read the "official" reviews but I noticed one of the games that I liked only got two stars so I took a peek and saw that several reviews contained maybe two sentences, one sentence saying they had only played for 10 minutes or so. What a waste of everyone's time.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 15, 12 3:54 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:...
As you are also aware, there are a lot of supposed informative "official" Reviews of games here based on (sometimes) very short trials...

I just noticed that! I don't usually read the "official" reviews but I noticed one of the games that I liked only got two stars so I took a peek and saw that several reviews contained maybe two sentences, one sentence saying they had only played for 10 minutes or so. What a waste of everyone's time.

Had to join in to concur on this.
An "official review" to me, should be based on the purchase of a game and not just a way for people to appear to be a "Top Reviewer" or "Key Contributer" by posting as many 1 or 2 lined reviews, as they possibly can. A bit like morphing by playing word games! ROFL!

Anyway, as far as this game goes, I will not be buying the DP but possibly the SE, as although I think that the dev's have done a great job, for their first game it is not worth double money.

rara3462
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by rara3462 on Mar 15, 12 4:35 AM
I played the full demo ending with 5mins left. I am not a slow player but I took my time with this one. Half way through I was thinking this is a bit slow and same old same old , but something took my eye later on. I don't know if I will buy yet as I have no interest in the screen savers or art work but, i am off sick at the minute and getting very bored.hey at least I can drive a tank now

Go to: