bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Small Town Terrors: Livingston

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 17, 12 1:24 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Small Town Terrors: Livingston? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Small Town Terrors: Livingston page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 03/29/2012 at 7:12:06 AM PST

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Small Town Terrors: Livingston

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 17, 12 1:28 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!
`
bfgFlounder

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 17, 12 1:48 AM
I Love this game! Now with this said, it doesn't have voiceover or widescreen, but this is one of the best SE we've seen in a long time. For a game that doesn't have all the bells and whistles I look for, this is IMO a top of the line game. The theme is my all time favirote type of game and or movie theme. Great job on the storyline developers. I don't want to give anything away with the story, so be sure to try this game immediately! I most definitely purchased this SE. It play's like a CE with some exceptions. I can't say enough great things about this game. I'm off to play it. It's worth your time forsure. IMO Enjoy
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Four Clover Game!

NO: Widescreen
No: Voiceover's
YES: Map
YES: Fullscreen
YES: Hog Scene's
Sound: Music/Effects
Theme: Waist Land Mystery

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

FINISHED GAME:I enjoyed this game so much. Although at the begining of the game it looked familar, but it wasn't. The story had so much to offer and the overall play of the game was fantastic! This is one of my all time favirote games so far. And for a SE it was one of the best! Don't let the video or screen shots fool you. And I recommend playing the entire demo to get the feel of this game. Awesome. I hope there's a sequel or more games like this one.

Edited on 03/20/2012 at 4:21:30 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 17, 12 2:04 AM
Lisa has summed it all up very nicely, so all I can say is that I totally concur.
In the beginning, I had my doubts with yet another automobile mishap and waking up in a mysterious hospital, but all that gets left behind very quickly as the essence of the mystery deepens and the very well told story gets more complicated and interesting.
I will add that the game mechanics are very well done, and the HOS are excellent.
There are some unique and fun puzzles the likes I've not seen before. Great job by the devs on this aspect.
There are some very imaginative aspects to the game play that set this one apart from the run of the mill game.
This one appears to be very well thought out with considerable attention to detail, and is an excellent SE.
A definite buy for me.
8.5 out of 10!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 17, 12 2:21 AM
This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

There is no journal.

There is a map, which shows you where you are, but can't be used to jump.

There is a TASKS tab. When you hover your cursor over it, it will tell you your tasks.

At the bottom are 2 sections: one holds your inventory items, the other one your documents. At the left is a switch, which you can use to switch from one to the other.

There is also a Health bar at the bottom, which will increase or decrease, depending on what you do or find.

The graphics are not to my liking: realistic-looking and very grubby.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have also below-standard graphics, and the text font of the object list is not the best. The majority of words in the list is written in black. Those written in red need for you to move something out of the way before you can find the objects.

The HINT button takes over a minute to refill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

This game is not for me. For one, I don't like realistic-looking images in a game, unless the quality of the graphics is excellent.
And secondly, the whole game plays in shades of either red, green or blue - depending on where you are (I checked out the walkthrough) - and I find it quite depressing having to play a whole game with these graphics and in an environment where the whole world is covered in either red, green or blue. Makes me feel like wanting to run outside to get some fresh air.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone.

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 2:22:16 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Mar 17, 12 2:52 AM
yes seems to be a good game I have a couple of issues with it though hint button fills very slowly and the HO's are a little hard to see for dark and cluttered. NO BUY for me.......... don't know if I read the bonus right but bf shouldn't a CE be worth 2 not one seeing it's double in price............. Oh well off to play one of my other HO's

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 17, 12 3:00 AM
This is a nice little adventure, but the music is really bad, had to turn off the sound. Having said that, I like it and of course will buy it. We have seen this theme before. Escaping from a hospital, whole town in an uproar and we have to get to somewhere clear across town. The hint works great and you can skip all the puzzles if you want to. The hidden object scenes themselves are a little difficult, but I find that clicking on everything usually gets you through those. If you don't click very fast there seems to be no penalty for random clicking. I like it overall, and even though I did SEE a spider, I have not had to pick one up yet. Thanks developer for that!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 17, 12 3:37 AM
I am happy I bought the game, The game has all the bell's and whistles thx BF and Dev's I hope to see more games like this one,I rate this game a 10..I just don't want to stop playing, there is nothing boring about this game..
Happy St..Patty's day..

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 17, 12 3:52 AM
Valdy: "...the whole game plays in shades of either red, green or blue - depending on where you are"

Lol, Valdy, this aspect was the one to make me try the game. It's like moving from Hell to the Purgatory (remember Divine Comedy?). I am not excited from the game, but this change of backgrounds is very very unique and original...

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Mar 17, 12 3:54 AM
Hi Everyone Happy St Patricks Day to you all! Now, to the business at hand. I love this game! Yes it has your typical car wreck and waking up in a hospital not knowing whats going on...but despite that it has a very unique look and feel. The story pulls you in....which to me is half the battle....the graphics are well done and interesting. I love how you can pick up health and increase it or it decreases if you have to perform a stressful activity. The story is of a mother searching for her daughter and husband after she wakes up from a coma in a grimy, run down hospital complete with dark shadows at the windows. HOS are well done if not a bit extensive, the hint button could recharge a little faster...its funny how quickly we get spoiled lol. The devs obviously put some thought in how to make this common theme different and exciting...to me they did both. I think as a SE its a bargain....if you have a code as I did you have nothing to lose. Thanks BF and devs for a nice St PD gift! Happy gaming!

rara3462
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by rara3462 on Mar 17, 12 4:32 AM
i enjoyed this game. Tv's 'walking dead' comes to mind. I felt as though I should be looking behind me when in the HO scenes.
I used a voucher for this and am pleased with the result.
I did initially think this is another cheap rate fill in but it does keep you hooked. The problems solving is not too simple. You do have a little running back and forth but not too much. I'm not as fit as I used to be .
HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY TO ALL

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 4:35:43 AM PST

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Mar 17, 12 5:24 AM
Valdy wrote:This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

There is no journal.

There is a map, which shows you where you are, but can't be used to jump.

There is a TASKS tab. When you hover your cursor over it, it will tell you your tasks.

At the bottom are 2 sections: one holds your inventory items, the other one your documents. At the left is a switch, which you can use to switch from one to the other.

There is also a Health bar at the bottom, which will increase or decrease, depending on what you do or find.

The graphics are not to my liking: realistic-looking and very grubby.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have also below-standard graphics, and the text font of the object list is not the best. The majority of words in the list is written in black. Those written in red need for you to move something out of the way before you can find the objects.

The HINT button takes over a minute to refill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

This game is not for me. For one, I don't like realistic-looking images in a game, unless the quality of the graphics is excellent.
And secondly, the whole game plays in shades of either red, green or blue - depending on where you are (I checked out the walkthrough) - and I find it quite depressing having to play a whole game with these graphics and in an environment where the whole world is covered in either red, green or blue. Makes me feel like wanting to run outside to get some fresh air.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Mar 17, 12 5:30 AM
I agree with Valdy. He said it all and exactly what I would say. HAPPY ST PADDY'S DAY TO ALL.
Vallarina

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 17, 12 6:31 AM
Well I wasn't even going to demo this game because I did not like the colour washed look of the screenshots but LovetoMissLisa posted in another thread about how good it was and so I decided to give it a try.

Underneath those colour washes is actually quite a good game which I am playing on the harder mode so that I don't get sparkles. I did note however that it said that you get penalised for misclicking in the hidden object scenes and so I am taking those scenes carefully ... mind you I still can't understand why we have to be treated like naughty children and have penalties in the first place .

The novel thing about this game is having to find things to keep replenishing your health because you are so weak from being in a coma and the health bar makes a pleasant addition to normal gameplay but I wouldn't like to see it in every game .

Yes you succeeded devs ... I have to admit to jumping twice in the short time that I have played so far and I wonder how many more times I will do so before I finish the game which I am looking forward to playing next week.

Cherb

ETA ...

Happy St Patrick's Day Everyone

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 6:32:43 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 17, 12 6:38 AM
No denying this is a good game, but for guys, I think. Us girls don't have much experience on the mechanical/engineering side of things. The mini games were too technical, way over my head, and I just had to skip most of them. That made the game only 3+1/2 hours long. Not really a good deal.

It's different though. Reminded me of "28 Days Later". Nice graphics, good story, good navigation, nice HOS.

That mom must have had some kind of education to be able to solve all those problems. Rocket Scientist, maybe?

I like games like this because they take us out of the rut we get into with all the same old same old stuff, but they have to be longer and simpler, or my enjoyment factor drops.

Nice job though.

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 7:02:08 AM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 17, 12 7:22 AM
This is based on the 60 minute demo.

Pros:

Good story - yes, we've seen the crashed car, deserted hospital before, but you quickly get to explore more of the town, with some interesting tasks to do. Problem-solving is paramount.

Nice graphics - I almost didn't try this game, based on looking at the thumbnails, but I was pleasantly surprised when I started the game. Things are nice and clear, if somewhat monochromatic. Objects in the HO scenes were tiny, but very clear, with no fades or color changes. A magnifying glass (I play on a small netbook - on a larger screen the m.g. may not be needed) and patience were all that were required.

Hint system - hints are clear. I played on expert and it did take a while to refill, but you're warned of that. Also, if there was nothing to do in a location, you were told that without losing a hint. Always a BIG plus for me, I hate wasting time or hints.

Atmosphere - nice sense of tension, without extreme urgency. It's a game, I don't want to feel anxious about it, I want to enjoy it. Clearly you need to get things done, but you can take the time to look around and solve things.

Puzzles - good level of difficulty, and some new takes on old favorites. I particularly liked the boat!

No sparkles - I don't really care about this, as a little hand-holding can be a good thing, but I know many have strong feelings about this. On expert mode NO sparkles.

Cons:

The music - really annoying and repetitive - I'll be turning it off when I buy. Didn't want to take the time from the game to turn it off during the demo - guess the story really grabbed me, huh?

Map - not interactive. I've come to really like an interactive map, but since this is an SE not a CE, this isn't a deal breaker. Can't say yet whether you'll need a spare pair of sneakers, but you will be doing a fair amount of back and forth,

I played out the demo, which I don't usually do, because I knew I'd be coming right out to buy. Glad I tried this game, it was a surprise for me. In general I am not a fan of ANYTHING to do with genre of storyline (won't say more in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet), but this game really caught my interest. Looking forward to a lazy Saturday playing it. Will be back with edits if warranted.

Enjoy all

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Mar 17, 12 8:20 AM
Played out the demo. It was...all right. Frankly, I didn't see any red, blue and green zones--the entire game, for me, was brown (with an occasional color accent like the fire hydrant or the fire truck).

This meant that there was almost no contrast in the hidden object scenes. Given this and the tiny size of many of the hidden objects, this reduced me to random clicking to be sure that I got everything. And when I got done playing, my vision was blurry. It still is. Do NOT play this game if you are subject to eyestrain

The game also employs jump scares. One, a flayed-looking arm and hand, appeared early on, and I spent much of the game fretting about what the face of such a creature would look like...especially given the game's warning about not playing when it's dark.

The mini-games baffled me. I do wish that someone would come up with a game that's meant for those of us who don't know how to repair generators, clocks, car engines, boilers, fuse boxes and pipes. Having to hit the skip button over and over in game after game after GAME is not fun.

I give this game a C-minus. It's not a bad game, I guess, if you like deserted, decrepit hospitals filled with unseen creatures that keep watching you. I just had a hard time seeing most of it.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Mar 17, 12 9:16 AM
Played the demmo for half an hour and was not at all enamored.

I strongly object to being asked to find a water jug when in fact it was a bottle of water. Unless my eyes deceived me?

I like hidden object scenes being reasonably difficult but I take my hat off to anyone who found the lizard

Too grey To boring.

Sorry
Linda

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 17, 12 9:22 AM

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 3:42:09 PM PST

debbie1001
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by debbie1001 on Mar 17, 12 10:41 AM
WOW WOW WOW...... What a great game. I wish I had one of these to play everyday. Very refreshing to have something new with great new puzzles. I don't do many game reviews but this one I just had to tell everyone about. Just the right timing. Home alone today and playing a great game!!!!! Hope there are many more like this soon.

Go to: