peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Comments for Nancy Drew: Secrets of Shadow Ranch

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 18, 12 12:26 AM
Hello everyone
This first came out in 2004. I have all of the ND games and I seem to remember liking this one.
When I got it there was no WT, so it is nice to see that there is one posted with this, so it should make it easier for people, new to these games to have fun.

ETA. Sorry, I see that the WT has been held up but you can find one if you google it
BTW, I believe that there is a group play going for ND Cyrstal Skull going at the moment, if any of you are interested.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/203711.page

Have fun all.

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 12:34:09 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

Re:Comments for Nancy Drew: Secrets of Shadow Ranch

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 18, 12 2:17 AM
The exact format I cannot abide. Going round and round a room until I'm dizzy is no fun for me. Been playing for only 15 minutes and that was too long. Nothing to find and nothing to do, just go in circles.

The graphics are crude, the voice is irritating and there are too many features that have to be kept up with.

Might have kept trying if the WT was available, but it's not there.

Off to uninstall.

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 2:29:46 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 18, 12 2:35 AM
I love adventures, but not the ND series. What a terrible game! And 6 years old!!! That is not a new game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 18, 12 2:54 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I love adventures, but not the ND series. What a terrible game! And 6 years old!!! That is not a new game.

Hi Hope you are well.
This is actually 8 years old. LOL! It is one of the easier and better games that has been produced. Not for everyone though!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 18, 12 2:58 AM
peglegann wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I love adventures, but not the ND series. What a terrible game! And 6 years old!!! That is not a new game.

Hi Hope you are well.
This is actually 8 years old. LOL! It is one of the easier and better games that has been produced. Not for everyone though!
Hi, I am well. Thank you!
8 years old that's 2

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Mar 18, 12 4:09 AM
It was always a bit of a mystery (maybe Nancy could solve that one too) why this was the only game in the series (other than the original Secrets Can Kill and Stay Tuned for Danger, because they are too old) not to be available here. I always have liked the Nancy Drew series, so I am glad the gap has been filled and Secrets of Shadow Ranch is available again here. Not sure if it should have been a TGT, maybe a soft release would have been better, seeing as many people look to that section for a new game. Maybe this release is a lead up to one of the newer titles coming out (Captive's Curse and Alibi in Ashes are yet to come up on the site). Of course the series is always ahead of Big Fish, with the release of Tomb of the Lost Queen being highly anticipated for May 8th this year.

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Mar 18, 12 4:35 AM
oh dear no matter how hard I try I cant play these games, they just frustrate me I bought the venice one a few years ago and never bothered playing it after the first 30 mins

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Mar 18, 12 5:00 AM
I am so jealous of anyone who can play the Nancy Drew games - there's so many of them! I have tried so many times but I guess I'm just not an Adventurer unless it's part of a HOPA.

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Mar 18, 12 5:29 AM
It is disappointing a game so old can be released as a new game, would have been more sensible as a soft release. Hurry up and release the captive curse already

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 18, 12 7:02 AM
Well, it's definitely not a new game, and the graphics show. I bought it some time ago from the developer - looks like they finally let it go. Apparently it's no longer the bestseller that it used to be.

If you are into those kind of game, and like the ranch / country atmosphere it's highly recommended. (And bring on Captive Curse and Alibi in Ashes!)

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 18, 12 7:23 AM
geri_mac wrote:oh dear no matter how hard I try I cant play these games, they just frustrate me I bought the venice one a few years ago and never bothered playing it after the first 30 mins

Its hard to play these games without a walkthrough at your fingertips. Once you learn how to play them, they can be quite fun though.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 18, 12 9:31 AM
mhatfie wrote:Its hard to play these games without a walkthrough at your fingertips. Once you learn how to play them, they can be quite fun though.

Well, every ND gives you the opportunity to call people (Ned, Bess, George, the Hardy Boys etc.) for hints if you are stuck. In most cases that helps you along.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Mar 18, 12 10:40 AM
As some others have said, a lot of these adventure games are a bit difficult to play. I started out playing straight HOGs, went to HOPAs, and was going to try adventure games, but I don't seem to have the brain for these. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good easy adventure game, for people like me who still need "training wheels."

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Mar 18, 12 10:44 AM
I have played some of the ND but I am currently stuck with the Wolf Dogs. Why can't they put in a skip, maybe activate it after you die 10,20 or in my case 68 times?

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 18, 12 2:18 PM
These games are not for everyone but I am one who really likes LFA games. Wish Big Fish would have more. Not all Nancy Drew games are created equal when it comes to difficulty. This one appears to be on the easy side. So far I am having fun with it so I'm glad I bought it.

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on Mar 18, 12 2:22 PM
angelofmusic62 wrote:As some others have said, a lot of these adventure games are a bit difficult to play. I started out playing straight HOGs, went to HOPAs, and was going to try adventure games, but I don't seem to have the brain for these. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good easy adventure game, for people like me who still need "training wheels."

I'd say this is one of them, definitely.

Play Junior, read/watch the "how to", check your task list often, call your friends to get hints and read your journal (I always forget to do that one! ) and keep a pen and notebook nearby to write some things down. Always check each scene for red magnifying glass/hand, read everything you can and look at everything you can - in 99% of the cases it'll come in handy later! And have fun!

Also, don't forget to save the game every time you stop playing, the earlier games don't ask you whether you want to save, but I can't remember whether that is one of them..

For additional help, find UHS walkthrough for hints or a regular walkthrough if you don't mind spoilers. Keep it open and switch to it with Alt+Tab keys (no need to exit the game that way!)

tuskel,
ND fan

kat_fur54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kat_fur54 on Mar 18, 12 2:39 PM
Sheerija wrote:The exact format I cannot abide. Going round and round a room until I'm dizzy is no fun for me. Been playing for only 15 minutes and that was too long. Nothing to find and nothing to do, just go in circles.

The graphics are crude, the voice is irritating and there are too many features that have to be kept up with.

Might have kept trying if the WT was available, but it's not there.

Off to uninstall.

I have to agree. Where I always seem spiked to take on the challenge of Nancy Drew games within 20 mins. the challenge becomes a boring waste of time for me. Too much spinning about, too many chattery conversations, and moving from one place to the next is just not fun. Too bad, because the basic premise of a detective game like this could be enthralling and fresh, hope someone pulls off creating one some day. A great challenging Detective game would so Rock!

Calzephyr
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Calzephyr on Mar 18, 12 4:21 PM
Ah! I remember playing this ages ago. It was cute and fun and vaguely horsey themed. I remember laughing when I tried to saddle the horse and the screen flipped if you didn't do it right. Then when you were chopping wood, if you hit it on the wrong side, it would fly at Nancy and she would scream. I really enjoyed the maze at the end. It took two tries to get through it, and yes, the barrel racing took forever! At the time I called it "Nancy Drew and the Case of the Crappy Horse Game" because when it originally came out, there was a slew of horse games for girls that were maddening for me as an adult. I can't imagine how frustrating they were for the young folk!

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Mar 18, 12 4:38 PM
Thank you BFG for a trial version of this game. I have purchased several Nancy Drew games in the past, but never finished them. Don't get me wrong, I love advernture games, but there is something about the Nancy Drew series that I can't get a handle on. For all you Nancy Drew fans, Happy gaming. For BFG, please try to have more trial versions of larger file game. This one saved me a few bucks and will allow me to buy a CE.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 18, 12 4:43 PM
I recently was moaning about why this ND game wasn't available here and suddenly here it is. I've been playing all the ND through in order and it was annoying this wasn't available here.

It may not be a new game but I hadn't played any ND game until I joined big fish so I am a happy fishie.

Keep the non chopped LF games coming BF I had almost given up on getting more LF games. So thanks!

Go to: