JeanSki862
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

I really resent being called a boy!

[Post New]by JeanSki862 on Mar 19, 12 12:50 PM
I suppose that men, women and girls are not expected to play this game! Why not just use my name and not "boy".

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

I really resent being called a boy!

[Post New]by cat52 on Mar 19, 12 8:35 PM
JeanSki862 wrote:I suppose that men, women and girls are not expected to play this game! Why not just use my name and not "boy".

If the developers aren't up to that level of programming (yes, that's sarcastic) then at least they could have used something less inflammatory, like "youngster"...but too late now! No way to play except as a male, either. Although given what those Roman gods got up to...no, never mind!!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: I really resent being called a boy!

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 19, 12 10:38 PM
The thing is that huge swaths of the game require that [highlight to view spoiler] Mars has to be madly jealous of your doing nice things for Venus.

If you can see how you would switch the genders and have a similar game with one or more different gods, good for you. But myself, I don't see any good way.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 20, 12 9:09 AM
Incidentally, BFG distributes "Matches and Matrimony" in which you must play a female character, for even stronger storyline reasons.

There are also a couple of riding-stable simulations, Ride! and Planet Horse, one and probably both of which offer only female avatars.

And then there's the delightful Coconut Queen.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Re:I really resent being called a boy!

[Post New]by cat52 on Mar 20, 12 9:39 PM
Yeah, I posted in another thread about the large number of games where one is forced to play as a female - and typically not a female I'd want to be. So I'm not complaining too loudly! That's why I called for a more neutral term than "boy" without demanding gender-changing. This game is a hardly an accurate depiction of Roman/Greek mythology but I agree, the way it's designed, it doesn't lend itself to playing as a female.

Hmmm. So we switch Mars and Venus around for a female player...and Mars doesn't want gardens and sissy stuff, he wants warlike items, and Venus is jealous and sets fires - no problem with that, if the protagonist can cast lightning then anyone can, and...nah. The game relies too much on the beautification Venus wants - it's become unbalanced. Maybe the sequel...LOL

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Apr 27, 12 5:37 PM
Just a note - the games which people here mention as examples of being forced to play a female, are not first-person games. In those games, you are clearly playing a third-person character, the character is not you.

In this game, you personally are supposed to be the young god, who is a boy. That's the problem. It's not the fact that the main character is male or female, it's that the main character is a stand-in for you, but it's only available in one gender.

Royal Envoy is another one that unfortunately does this.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 7:55:49 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 10, 12 11:15 PM
I'm sure you're right on the facts. However, I don't really find much difference in affect between 3rd-person limited PoV and 2nd-person narration.

nobodyz
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by nobodyz on Sep 1, 12 1:49 PM
And, as a "boy" or male, I really resent this being such a big issue! Get over it. Most games here assume I'm female. I don't go around complaining about it. After all, it's a GAME not an identity scan!

Sheesh.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 2, 12 9:21 PM
People can't always choose what actually makes them uncomfortable, and having some empathy for what affects others but not ourselves is a mark of maturity.

I.e., for us males, becoming a man.

I don't assert I always achieve that ideal, but I do aim for it whenever it occurs to me.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Nov 4, 12 6:26 AM
GeorgeTSLC, the reason why you don't find much of a difference is because as far as I can tell, there aren't any games that assume the player is a girl. I've never seen a first-person game which used the terms "she" or "her" to talk about you, the player. Unless those games let you choose a gender first. And even of the ones that do let you choose a gender, there are still some that call you "he" afterwards.

You've never experienced what the women on here are complaining about, so you can't dismiss it as not being a problem.

[Post New]by graceland9 on Jan 14, 13 9:40 AM
I don't mind being called a boy, but wooing Venus is a little weird.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 14, 13 9:52 AM
riefer wrote: as far as I can tell, there aren't any games that assume the player is a girl
It may not be obvious but the detective in Mystery Case Files is female. Escape from Ravenhearst made this a little bit more explicit with Charles Dalimar wanting to marry her.

GamerCouple
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by GamerCouple on Jan 16, 13 7:11 PM
Um, can we avoid the gender-essentialist snark, please? I'm a woman and AMG didn't irk me in the least. It seems like most games force the player into playing one or the other gender, so I don't really mind. It's just a role. It would have been nice had the devs might have put a little thought into making the character gender-neutral and maybe changing the storyline to something besides Mars losing his temper with jealousy, sure, but if they don't, at that point it becomes a question of whether someone's annoyance outweighs her pleasure with the rest of the game. Not all women mind.

Sometimes confirmation bias makes us not notice when things don't fit our preconceptions. There are a slew of games that force players to be female and use female pronouns and situations in talking to them. Lara Croft is probably the most famous of these forced-female characters, but there are definitely others. I wouldn't want to dismiss anybody's concerns, obviously. Instead I'll gently mention that GeorgeTSLC is raising a valid point: there are plenty of games that do force players to be female, and like him, I don't see much difference in the point of view between 1st-person, 2nd-person, and 3rd-person. Rather than seeing that I must play a male protagonist and immediately getting upset, I personally look at how women in the game are treated in general. In this one, I'd say they get a lot of screen time, are generally proactive, and hold positions of authority. There aren't any female NPCs that I've seen yet, which isn't awesome, but the goddesses are handled fairly well where they do show up. That matters a lot more *to me*. Even games with a female protagonist aren't guaranteed to have a woman-positive storyline.

But in the end, obviously, if something about a video game bothers you, vote with your wallet.

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Mar 11, 13 3:56 PM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:People can't always choose what actually makes them uncomfortable, and having some empathy for what affects others but not ourselves is a mark of maturity.

I.e., for us males, becoming a man.

I don't assert I always achieve that ideal, but I do aim for it whenever it occurs to me.

Sorry, George, but when something this ridiculous makes someone uncomfortable, then I recommend serious psychological counseling. It's a freaking game for heaven's sake!! If you are so insecure that you have to be concerned about your gender being represented as a player character in a computer game, you are in serious need of help.
It's enough that there is real concern for the way women are treated in the workplace, at home, and in public. But for God's sake, complaining that you don't want to be called 'boy' in a pc game because you're a woman doesn't classify as important in any way shape or form. And frankly, I don't have any empathy for people who let something like that bother them. They need to grow up and get over themselves.
If she were complaining about the way women are treated in GTA for example, I can accept that. But this is just nonsensical.

Go to: