bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Living Legends: Ice Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 22, 12 1:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Living Legends: Ice Rose Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Living Legends: Ice Rose Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Living Legends: Ice Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 22, 12 1:14 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 22, 12 1:56 AM
My review is based on demo. The graphics are beautiful and clear and very easy to see. The theme of the game is something we've seen before, but done very well. The only negative thing I have to say is NO Voiceovers. Now I know alot people don't like them, but I'm a big fan of voiceovers. It would have really added to this game.

It does seem the developers are putting all the goodies in the CE's. And I don't think to many will be disappointed with this game. It has most of the bells and whisles I look for in a game. At least it has widescreen, but I'm really missing voiceovers. It is a buy for me and should be a try for everyone forsure. Enjoy

NO: Voiceovers
YES: Widescreen
YES: Journal
YES: 3 modes of play: Casual/Advanced/Expert
NO: Sparkles in harder modes
YES: Hog Scenes
Sound: Music/Effects
Theme: Classic Fairlytale Mystery

I rate this game:

“FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it. But I do wish it had voiceovers. But still a great game.
‘ ‘
(o)

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 22, 12 2:02 AM
Another "Snow/Ice Queen" game. Sorry, this one absolutely pales in comparison and with that being said----the game is a disappoinment.
Of course the first disappointment is a widescreen option that does absolutely nothing. I'm unsure where the programmers think this will help, but not here. So many games are now addressing this issue that, for me, it is an expectation that for twice the money the game will have widescreen presentation. This one does not.
Although the graphics are very nice, I got the feeling throughout the trial of "been there, done that". You overcome the obstacles with a variety of extremely easy HOS scenes (junkpiles) and puzzles that have been seen many, many times. Nothing new at all. The HOS contain way too many objects that are irrelevant to the story and completely out of place. They also use an old trick used far too often in that the object to find is not an object at all but a picture of an object or a written out word. (boring, pointless, sloppy)
Music is repetitious, but will probably change later as one of the "extras" is a musical soundtrack. (got to have that soundtrack). Other extras include the usual----concept art, screensavers, etc. that I would always hate to think I was actually paying extra money for. But there is a promise of bonus play which I have no clue about because the strategy guide offers only the first two chapters (of six). I don't understand why devs think this type of information should be withheld until purchase----show us what we are buying!
My understanding is that this is a first-time effort from these devs and I suppose I would consider using a punch code for the SE when it shows up, but I would never, never consider paying double money for this effort. In my view, it is simply not worth it and does little to deserve the CE label.
About a 5.5 out of 10 and only that high because the graphics are nice.
Sorry devs----try again, and see if you can get the widescreen option to actually work.
As always, take advantage of the free trial and see what you think!

Edited on 03/22/2012 at 3:33:07 AM PST

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Mar 22, 12 2:20 AM
i must agree with everything cbtx has said and although the game is a very good first attempt there is absolutely nothing new at all, in fact I'm going to save my money and play an old game from last year that I have purchased,

Of course the game runs really smoothly and graphics are lovely it's just a pity the gameplay has been done on too many occasions.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 22, 12 3:06 AM
Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen sequel? Maybe. I know its familiar cause Edwards wagon was in the same place and looked like it hadn't moved since the last time we saw it. No voice overs. That is a big no no for some players, but not for me. I can read just fine, and frankly I find voice overs a little annoying. I'm enjoying this immensely. the music is just right, I can leave it on and it doesn't become annoying. I agree with Miss Lisa, this is "Fine Swine" and I have already bought it.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 22, 12 3:07 AM
I too agree with CBTX, game is way over-priced. Yes, visually it is beautiful but seriously, gameplay was so rudimentary along with a story that we have seen so many times. I realise that many people would dismiss VOice-overs, however having them tells me that developers are really presenting us with a game which deserves a price tag of a CE. No V/O, no map, no collectables, no achievements or rewards and no challenge which basically mean no sell here. I may be spoilled but compared to the manu CE games that I do have under my belt, I am sorry to say but a girl does have standards. I found this game to be below CE standards. I will wait for the SE version. Cheers

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 22, 12 3:31 AM
This dev has actually shown us more of the Extras than some because we can actually see

that the Strategy Guide has 6 chapters plus the bonus one and that while the first 2 chapters take 18 pages the rest are not revealed
one shot of the wallpapers
one shot of the screensavers
that there are at least 3 music tracks
that you can replay the puzzles
that you can replay the hidden object scenes

but, yet again, we are told that they will only be unlocked "after completing the extra gameplay" when the wallpaper and screensaver will not be of any use because by that time we will be playing a different game entirely.

So on the one hand I am giving this dev a

for 3 modes of gameplay
for nice graphics,
OK music playing softly in the background so the repetitiousness is not too apparent
for telling us what we are going to get

but I am giving them a

for sparkles after saying that "active zones are not indicated" and in the very first scene the carriage is covered in sparkles as are all subsequent HO scenes.
for locking everything until after the bonus chapter has been played.

I can understand that they don't want to show us the scenes we will come across as we play and thus spoil the story but why can't we have a general screensaver and wallpaper available for use once we have purchased the game and why can't the puzzle and hidden object scenes be unlocked and available to replay in the extras once they have actually been played in the game .

Cherb

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 22, 12 3:34 AM
Good Karma surrounds the Aura of this game, and it's a buy for me! Relaxing movement (usual signs of a HOPA), connection to a fairy tale from my childhood, first quality graphics and resolution - I am with Miss Lisa's Fine Swine...

Length (according SG):
7 chapters - 45 pages.
bonus chapter - 12 pages (46-58). Above average 50 pages.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

[Post New]by mieke16holding on Mar 22, 12 3:45 AM
The demo of this game was two chapters and the SG shows six available. I found that I completed the first 2 chapters in about 45 minutes, including looking at all game modes, so that should give some idea of the length of the game.

The storyline is no different to many others and this one is set in the cold and snow which was really done quite well. The graphics are really beautiful and the gameplay smooth.

There are 3 modes of play and the game is very easy - even on the hardest mode. The HOs are easy to find and the puzzles are very easy to do.

Things I liked included the graphics, the things to look at in the scenes, areas closing when the action had been completed and the fact you did not have to wander back and forth endelssly to different scenes to complete things. It was gentle and easy to use the object you had found.

For those who are looking for a challenge, this game is very easy and no different to other games of this type, and may disappoint them.

It is a simple game - HOS and puzzles and does not need a lot of thinking, lateral ability or puzzle-solving ability. Both the HOS and puzzles are what has been seen many time with no new twists.

There are no voice-overs but that did not detract for me. The music I found quite calming and not at all bothersome.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the game mainly because the graphics are great and sometimes just being able to easily move through a game is an chievement that people find relaxing and need to do. I don't always need great challenges - sometimes just enjoying the scenes and wandering through a story is enough.

I don't think this game is really value for money and would expect for the price that it was longer and there were more things to do, extra achievements or the like; but I will no doubt purchase it as I like the graphics and always play through all the modes of each game anyway.

It is certainly not the best game out there, nor is it great value as a CE but well worth trying the demo at least.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 22, 12 3:58 AM
Played 50 minutes of the game (casual)

4 Friends games - Will I get the ***** for that ?

- 3 gameplay modes, casual, advanced, expert
- Integrated SG which stays on the page you leave
- 6 chapters plus bonus play
- No map
- Notebook which shows you too how long you've been playing
- No voiceovers
- Good music, a bit repetitive
- H0, you interact, some objects small and not easy to spot in dark corners
- Mini games, regular ones, easy
- Hint takes a minute to refill, casual mode
- Skip button
- Beautiful graphics

This Story definitely makes you think of Snow Queen but the game is enjoyable with lovely graphics. a buy for me

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 22, 12 4:35 AM
I enjoyed the trial, but have to agree with Cherbtoo, and others, that not being able to access the extras until the game is finished is really silly, pointless and disappointing.

The graphics are nice and clear, the H0s are slightly interactive, the mini games not too difficult for me, and the music seems quite nice. I played in Casual Mode, so I don't mind the sparkles. I did note that when returning to an H0 scene, items that have been moved/opened previously, have not gone back to the way they were The SG works well, and opens up at the last page you looked at.

As for the story, it is not the same as the Dark Parable game, but instead appears to be a well imagined sequel to the original story, in that Kai and Gerda are now senior citizens, and the Ice Queen has come back for revenge.

I think I may wait until it is released as an SE before I buy it.

ETA:
Then again, I may just get the CE anyway, so I can easily access the SG, and play the extras if I want, lol

Jen

Edited on 03/22/2012 at 4:42:50 AM PST

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Mar 22, 12 4:59 AM
Based on Demo
new Develops 1st go & WOW!
Excellant graphics, very clean
three play modes-
Demo has first 3 chapters SG
no VO, lite reading to keep story flowing-not too much
I absolutely loved the Music-not intrusive & different tracks, very "mysterious" and mellow
Click penalty in HOS, Hint refills at about a minute
no map-not needed-very linier
Easy game -played in second level-Sparkles on everything to look at, not actualyl to do.
fun mini puzzles
a nice cold theme for those of us have 70's & sunny weather
I would definately buy this-but want to wait & see on length.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 22, 12 5:24 AM
I miss the voiceovers - I do really expect them in a CE game, and those that don't like them can always shut off the sound. Other than that, however, it's a great game that I really enjoy, and I will be buying it asap.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 22, 12 5:27 AM
No voice overs, in a CE that is a disappointment for me and one of the reasons that I will not pay full price for this CE.

Beside that, the game have very beautiful graphics, nice HOscenes, I will eventually buy the game but as a SE just because it doesn't have voice overs.

So disappointing.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 22, 12 5:59 AM
This review is based on the trial verison, which I played in Casual mode:

There are 6 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

The SG (strategy guide), which is located under the HINT button, holds its place where you last left it open.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a journal - which also tells you how long you have played - but there is not map.

There is no voice-over.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), of which there are quite a few, have nice graphics, and objects are easy enough to find. Apart from the usual items to find, some objects in the list are in orange. Those need an extra step before you can take them.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes a minute to refill - and this in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes unnecessarily long to fill in Casual mode.

Graphics are very well done, and gameplay is what we have come to expect of a good game.

--- --- ---

This game does remind me of a few other games from well-known developers (dare I mention "Dark Parables"?), and I did enjoy the gameplay.

There is quite a bit of hand-holding in Casual mode, and even I, who always plays the easiest setting (mainly because I like to have the fasted refill for the HINT and SKIP buttons), found it a little too much. Even in the HOS, I got sparklies for those objects marked in orange. I'd rather my cursor had changed into a hand when I was at the object rather than seeing the sparkles right from the start. So I will probably play the more difficult mode when I get the SE.

But apart from the many sparklies, I enjoyed the game. I love playing games that include wintry scenes, so this one is just perfect for me. I won't buy the CE, because I have sworn off CEs unless they are exceptional, as was "Dark Strokes", but I will definitely get the SE when it's out.

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Mar 22, 12 6:08 AM
Enjoyed the demo and going to buy. Maybe not quite as good as we have come to expect but it is still game worthy and makes a change from the previous C.E. that have been released in the past weeks.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 22, 12 6:20 AM
This is a great game! Beautifull graphics. I like the HOS and the puzzles. In the beginning looks an easy game but further in the game than you must think. What is good for the brains.

I bought the game. Thanks devs and BF.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 22, 12 7:18 AM
The game has beautiful graphics, good gameplay and hogscenes. The hintbuttons reloads a little bit slow and the widescreen option didn`t work on my laptop. For me its a good game, but not a great one. Its a buy - but I will wait till the SE

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Mar 22, 12 8:19 AM
I agree with all of the positive reviews. Liked the storyline, graphics good/clear but have seen better with a few super dev's.

Great SG so far and it keeps its place, thank goodness. Nice music. I do miss the voice overs I expect them in CE's and SE's I think this should be standard. lol

Going to purchase this game as we were short some CE's in the last 2 weeks so I don’t have a selection to pick from. I understand this is their 1st game for the US, if so they did a great job and look forward to their next game.

Give this game a try/demo.

Happy gaming

Go to: