bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Ghost Encounters: Deadwood

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 24, 12 1:01 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Ghost Encounters: Deadwood? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Ghost Encounters: Deadwood page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Encounters: Deadwood

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 24, 12 1:02 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by mieke16holding on Mar 24, 12 1:09 AM
A western themed game with ghosts. The graphics are very nice - crisp and clear and the HOS are nice to look at the objects are easy to find.

The story is fine (no different to a lot of others) and the voice-overs fit with the theme and environment. The custon cursor is fairly large which may be off-putting to some.

The hint system is available for HOS and re-charges quickly. The puzzles are the same ones often seen with nothing new but they do have a skip option.

I found the HOS and the puzzles very easy and for those who like a challenge, this game will be too easy.

There is a journal - I expected some more information in it but it was probably enough as the puzzles were easy to do.

There is no map but that did not detract for me.

A nice, clear and simple game that would probably suit those new to these games or those wanting a gentle and easy experience.

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 1:18:17 AM PST

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Mar 24, 12 1:11 AM
A western themed HidObj game with a villian who is terrorizing/killing the inhabitants of a small town, from beyond the grave.

My review is based on the trial version and after about 25 minutes of play.

The graphics are clean & crisp. The voiceovers are very well done, music is unobtrusive, and the gameplay smooth. The puzzles I came across were very easy and there wasn't much of a challenge, thinking-wise.

This would be an okay game for a novice to intermediate HidObj player, but the experienced/expert player will likely not find much of a challenge.

Additionally, this is NOT a progressive HidObj scene game. Early on in the game, you have to give a cane, found in a HidObj scene, to a character. Soon afterwards, when you search the same scene, the same cane is there. To me, that is lazy game logic, and is a major turnoff for me. Meaning, no buy. Others may not find this to be a major issue and like the game regardless. To me though, it hurts the overall experience and simply makes the game mediocre.

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 9:08:27 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 24, 12 1:29 AM
This is a really good SE. The graphics and voiceovers are terrific! Good storyline and the animations are great! It is on the easier side of play for advanced gamers. But this doesn't stop it from being a great game. No widescreen but the clarity of the graphics and animations make up for what is lacking. A western ghostly theme makes's for something a little different and the storyline holds your attention. The puzzles aren't to complicated and are skippable.

Overall it's a great SE and I really like it. Good job developers and a big thank you . It is worth a try forsure. It's a buy for me and I can't wait to play it. Be sure to check out this little surprise of a SE gem. Enjoy

NO: Widescreen
YES: Voiceovers (very well done) IMO
YES: Hog Scenes
YES: Journal
NO: Map
YES: Puzzles Skippable
YES: Sparkles in Advanced mode(hog scenes)
YES: Custom Cursor
YES: 2 Different Modes of Play/Casual & Advanced
YES: Eye Candy: For better voiceovers
Sound: Music/SFX Sound/Effects
Theme: Ghostly Western Mystery

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 8:55:41 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 24, 12 1:54 AM
Once again, I find that LovetoMissLisa has already summed up the game nicely, covering all the relevant issues----and once again I agree with her completely. I liked the game maybe even more than she did!
I like the theme, the graphics are great, the gameplay is smooth and precise, the HOS are very well done, and the puzzles are clever. (There is a jig-saw puzzle with a twist I've not seen before.)
There is a lot to do, and I haven't had an hour slip by that quickly in a very long time. It is one of those kind of games that you want to get back to immediately. The story is captivating enough that I have to know what happens next and why.
A wonderful weekend surprise that I'm getting back to ASAP.
At least try this little gem----I think you'll be pleased you did. Good game here.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Mar 24, 12 2:43 AM
My review is based on the hour long demo as I do not intend to buy the game.

This game from Anarchy Enterprises has average graphics & artwork, there are some very nice voiceovers & the dialogue is clickable. There is a journal but it only gives the story & no clues that I found. The music is subtle, not very western like given the theme & the background sounds are okay.

There are 2 modes; casual with a 60 second hint & advanced with 90 seconds, apart from that there is not a lot of difference between them. Both modes have sparkles for the H0s but be warned the hint button only appears in the hidden object scenes. There is no hint system for the main gameplay which makes it a little more difficult, however the game progresses logically enough.

The mini games were the usual match the wheel segments, logic puzzles, make a picture, etc. I did not need to use the skip button but it is there if you get stuck. As you progress you will pick up quite a lot of objects in the inventory & when the demo finished I had rather a lot so you will keep some items for a while before needing them.

Unfortunately I found the gameplay pretty mediocre so not a purchase for me.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Mar 24, 12 3:07 AM
I played in advanced mode buy found it way too easy and still with the dreaded sparkles. HOS were easy and items not very hidden - also the descriptions are too ambiguous. In one scene I had to find a garden tool but there were 5 that I could see and multiple clicking gives you the warning. If you click too close to the hint button on the HOS then it give you a hint that you don't need and then you have to wait for it to refill, although this doesn't take long even in advanced mode.

I found the journal very annoying as it sparkled so often to tell you something that you already knew so I was constantly clicking on it just to shut it up!

The music is ok but there is weird rumbling that happens occasionally that I kept thinking was my stomach and kept rushing off to get something to eat! I would be the size of a small bungalow if the demo lasted any longer.

I will not be buying as it was not challenging, became a bit boring and I started not to care whether the townsfolk were saved or not!!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 24, 12 3:18 AM
cbtx wrote:Once again, I find that LovetoMissLisa has already summed up the game nicely, covering all the relevant issues----and once again I agree with her completely. I liked the game maybe even more than she did!
I like the theme, the graphics are great, the gameplay is smooth and precise, the HOS are very well done, and the puzzles are clever. (There is a jig-saw puzzle with a twist I've not seen before.)
There is a lot to do, and I haven't had an hour slip by that quickly in a very long time. It is one of those kind of games that you want to get back to immediately. The story is captivating enough that I have to know what happens next and why.
A wonderful weekend surprise that I'm getting back to ASAP.
At least try this little gem----I think you'll be pleased you did. Good game here.

cbtx: Thank you I really like the game. The only reason I didn't give it a "Fine Swine" was NO widescreen. That's the only reason. I already bought it and I really love it! This is a winner winner and my wallet's alot thinner thinner. LOL

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 24, 12 3:59 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode:

There are 2 gameplay choices.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I would suggest to use the custom cursor, because the system cursor does not change when hovering over different things.

There is voice-over.

There is a journal, but no map.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) (of which there are many) have clear and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button takes a minute to refill in Easy mode.

There is NO HINT button available outside of the HOS.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes an unnecessary long time in Easy mode.

Graphics are very well done, even in the HOS, and the gameplay reminded me of those "Midnight Mysteries" games, except you don't have to find clovers or anything else in this game.

--- --- ---

This game didn't throw me off my chair with excitement. But it has really nice graphics, the HOS are a delight to the eyes, and gameplay is interesting enough for me to want to buy this game, especially since it's been offered as an SE.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Edited to add: I have now finished the game, and liked the story as well as the gameplay.

However, there were a few things I didn't like:

1) HINT button takes a minute to refill in Easy mode - I would have preferred it to be half the time.

2) HINT button not available outside of Hidden Object Scenes - would have been nice to have one there as well.

3) SKIP button for puzzles takes a long time to fill in Easy mode - I prefer the SKIP button to take no more than 30 seconds.

4) I don't like to get a penalty when I click too much around in the Hidden Object Scenes.

5) Don't care that quite a few of the HOS look the same, i.e. have the same objects lying around, often in the same position.

6) Some of the object names are not very well named like, for example, Sharp = the Hash key symbol.

And I would have liked a map, preferably one I could have jumped with.

Edited on 03/25/2012 at 1:19:48 PM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 24, 12 4:24 AM
At first this appears to be too simple but as I progressed it does get a little harder.
This is where you need to try all of your inventory items on everything that brings up gears for an action to be done. As a lot of people including me, got stuck for a little while on trying to open the 2nd. gates.
Not a criticism to one of the best reviewers here BUT can I please point out that there are sparkles in the hard mode I am only pointing this out, as some of us choose the hard mode to TRY to avoid these! LOL! (I know that some people get cross with this being mentioned, time and again but if we do not mention things like this as constructive criticism, how are the dev's to know our opinions?)
Anyway, as a normal priced game, this is well worth the money.

Have fun everyone

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 24, 12 4:51 AM
A surprisingly good game from a developer new to me and the first buy in 10 days from BFG. Nice graphics, reasonable voiceovers, hidden object searches not overly difficult, managed all but one of the puzzles so far (never figured out the safe code!), excellently creepy story line and although no hints as to what to do next, I have managed to work it out for myself in the time I played. 16 minutes left on the demo and I stopped to buy this little gem

What really freaked me out was seeing my name on a ready made coffin A reminder of the inevitable I could have done without!! Otherwise a very enjoyable game

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Mar 24, 12 6:21 AM
Another offering from Big Fish that looks like a game that was originally designed in the early dawn of casual game development. Descriptors like "simple, clean graphics" are akin to realtor speak for a small, cramped house as being "cozy". I guess developers are spending their time and creative energies on more lucrative projects like game apps for smart phones.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 24, 12 6:35 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It seems you have to put different souls to rest by completeing what ever task they were in the middle of when they died. Your main objective is to find a small boy.

I thought the graphics were very well done even though the hidden object scenes are junkpile and a bit more difficult than some. The mini games I encountered during the demo were easy enoough and could be skipped after a wait.

I like it when they incorporate your name into the game It gives it a personal touch. Although I hope I have a few years left before I am ready for a pine box

I do agree with some of the cons listed in other reviews. Sparkles even in the hard mode are beginning to get a little aggravating. I also noticed that objects previously found and used reappear in the same hidden object scenes. These aren't deal breakers just irritating

I would like to see a hint button that can be used outside the HOS. I see there is a walk through coming though. I will probably buy after that appears. I want to know how long it is!

Good not great game but really happy to see a good SE! Although I think we are seeing so many CE's that we over don't appreciate a good SE as we should.

I did have one tech problem. There is no sound for me I tried everything. The volume is on 100% on my laptop and on the game.????

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 24, 12 6:39 AM
I really enjoyed this game too! Nice, simple but still had to use my brain a bit. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did

Graphics are okay, a bit cartoonish perhaps. HO scenes were clear, and I only had to use one hint. I played in expert mode and there were no sparkles apart from to indicate a HO scene.

It took me 52 minutes to play the demo, so that indicates a few hours of gameplay which is nice. I am not buying today because DH spent everything we had in the bank at the supermarket today and left me with 10p so I can't!!! But I think I will get this one when I get paid on Wednesday, as it is fun and nice to have something a little less complicated than some of the more sophisticated games. This is the first game I have liked for over a week.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 24, 12 6:44 AM
I chose to play this demo in Advanced Mode because it said "Active Zones are not indicated" but once again we have a game where the hidden object scenes are lit up. To those wondering how we would find these scenes without the sparkles the answer is that our cursor would change when we moused over the area <nudge, nudge, > devs.

I personally only ever check journals when I am completely stuck because I find that they can actually spoil the game by giving too much information away and so it would be really appreciated by me if all devs would tone down the sparkles when new information is added and also not leave the sparkles on constantly just because I haven't looked to see what that information is.

Sparkles aside I think this is a quite a good game ... the graphics are nice and clear, the voiceovers are very good indeed , the story is fine and not having hints readily available in hard mode makes you use your brain instead of taking the easy way out .

I purchased this game as soon as the demo was over because I would much rather pay $6.99 for a reasonable game like this than I would spend it on wallpapers, screensavers, concept art etc which I have no interest in.

Cherb

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Mar 24, 12 9:09 AM
Actually, I liked this game! The hidden objects were hid but not that obscurely, the puzzles are good if a little lacking in hints, and the hints do take a time to fill up. As for the music, I like lit, but then I like most game theme music. The story is good and keeps my interest and the voice overs are just right, not too much, not too little.

As someone pointed out, the hidden objects, once picked, don't go away if you return to that same scene, but then, lots of games do that also. It's really no big deal, as I don't always remember what I picked the first time around.

This is a nice, fun game and I am enjoying it a lot. Therefore, I will buy it as I have several PCC's still to use up.

That's it for me!! Enjoy!

OKCgem

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 24, 12 10:06 AM
I found the game to be something a little different, story in the Western theme. Graphics were clear and crisp. Puzzles are easy and not hard to do. A good game on a day you don't feel like solving a hard HOG. I liked it but don't know if it will be a buy or not. Will play the game to the end of trial and see what I think... Busy watching the basketball games this weekend. GO SU!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 24, 12 10:49 AM
It has been quite awhile since I have commented but I really like this game! A breath of fresh air for the SE genre. There is voice and the graphics are excellent. The puzzles are okay and there aren't an excessive amount of HOG scenes. Great job! Not the usual location for one of these games. I have a myriad of coupons which I will use on this one. I like this game better than the CE I purchased this week, which did not have voice overs! Nice job! I must also commend BF for finding a game which does not take place in some slum with dilapidated buildings. No broken down cars, which is refreshing in itself! No creepy European villages either, I might add. Thanks!

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 10:53:25 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 24, 12 11:15 AM
Just different enough to be fun

Go to: