bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Rita James and the Race to Shangri La

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 26, 12 12:19 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Rita James and the Race to Shangri La? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Rita James and the Race to Shangri La page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Rita James and the Race to Shangri La

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 26, 12 12:19 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by mieke16holding on Mar 26, 12 2:09 AM
I quite enjoyed this game as the graphics are nice enough to get you involved in the atmosphere. Certainly not the standard of recent offerings but okay for this game that is cartoonish.

Again, it is set in the cold and the characters are quite funny.

The HOS have different ways of finding items - including putting items together and there is some challenge here.

The puzzles are good and not too hard and if you persevere, you can work them out so for those looking for some challenge, this may be the game for you.

The map is interesting - it shows you the locations plus the tasks and is easy to work with.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 26, 12 2:54 AM
Having enjoyed the previous game from these devs, Escape from Thunder Island, and based on this morning's demo I have bought this one too and know I will be grinning at Marbles the during play and I can't wait to see what happens between him and his "opposition" (no it isn't really a beaver I just didn't have an emoticon like it ).

This is a humorous game with cartoon style graphics which are reasonably good although I did find some of the hidden objects a bit difficult to see due to the darkness of the scene and thus I had to lean closer to my computer screen. There are interactive elements to the HO scenes and some require more than one addition to make them complete .

When the game started the music reminded me of Indiana Jones but, as it clashed with the news, I was made to mute it quickly so alas I can't comment further except to say that there is an addition to the normal options in that there is a separate control for cut scene volume.

There is a very helpful map that shows your location, completed areas and unexplored ones .

There are four crystals to be found which will be placed in an amulet in the bottom left hand corner and these give you magic abilities which are Fire, Air, Electricity and Life and I look forward to seeing what these actually do.

These games have some challenge to them so have a to stimulate your brain and then look everywhere and don't expect to have all your useful items just given to you at the end of a HO scene like a lot of games do .

Cherb

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Mar 26, 12 2:57 AM
From Big Finish Games this is an amusing hidden object in the style of a 1950s adventure, the graphic are clear & cartoon in style. I found the scenes a little dark although the cut scenes are bright enough, you really should watch these as there are some hilarious moments. Be sure to explore the scenes thoroughly as you will find many inventory items which are not always easy to spot. Most of the items will be used reasonable quickly so your inventory will not get too full.

There is no choice in gameplay but the only sparkles are for the H0s & they are very subtle, the H0s have some excellent interactive items some of which require 3 or 4 items to complete the object. The hint recharges in 40 seconds & can be useful outside the H0s; it will give a clue what to do next if you get stuck.

The mini games are not too difficult once you get into the mind-set of the developer but they are interesting & form part of the gameplay rather than being add-ons; there is a skip button.

There is a task list which shows what actions still need to be performed in an area; some gamers may find this too much like hand holding but you do not have to use it as it has to be clicked on in order to read it. Through the game you will collect an amulet & crystals; each crystal will give you a different ability to help you.

There are not a great many H0 scenes, this is more about solving problems to get to the next part of the game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 26, 12 3:42 AM
This review is based on the demo, which I didn't finish.

There is only 1 gameplay mode.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have crude graphics, IMO.

The HINT button takes about 45 seconds to refill.

--- --- ---

The graphics on the whole are not to my liking. I own the first game and thought it was OK, but I am no longer willing to put up with these inferior graphics.

Gameplay and movements are a little stiff. Again, it has a feel of old-fashioned games.

Those fishies who like this kind of game with these graphics... enjoy. I won't be buying it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 26, 12 5:41 AM
This is a true SE game, nice graphics, nice story, and plenty of hidden objects and games.

I found the demo quite long at least for me.

But then again it took me sometime finding some of the objects needed for some puzzles.

Still is a very nice game to play on what I call odd days when you want to play something but have nothing else available.

I mean that in a good way.

MsWatts
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by MsWatts on Mar 26, 12 6:25 AM
I like Marg### post (can't remember her exact nick, and I absolutely love the cartoony stuff and there are other good and semi-fun things about this game ... but I thought I was playing a Daily Deal after a while. Maybe I just didn't "get it" as easily as I get the tons of other games I own and have demoed from BFG. I am a rare poster in the forums, but a frequent reader. But, for some reason I just had to say I honestly thought this was Daily Deal quality.

I apologize. I really should post more wonderful things when I find amazingly terrific games here (which is ALL the time) ... ... but everyone else always says what I think already (Cerb, Valdy, CBTX, LoveToMissLisa oh, gosh, gobs of other frequent posters I see on a regular basis. Some have been missing for quite a while, Gram someone, someone with a duck, gosh, a couple of other I used to read for a couple of years that have vanished during the past year or longer. Anyway, I read all the time but never post because I don't have anything different to add. AND I absolutely HATE saying anything negative so I just be quiet LOL

hiding behind shades

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 26, 12 9:23 AM
I was on the fence with this game but it got better shortly after the demo and continued to improve until I was really enjoying it. The locations changed from barren and gloomy and became quite lush. I loved the dialogue, not boring or annoying at all, but really fun, and humorous. There were an awful lot of HOS and they were very interactive and took ages, which probably accounts for how long this game was, but I didn't mind them that much.

Loads to do in many many locations. Really appropriate music and great vos. The cut scenes were very reminiscent of old Hollywood movies. When I finally got to Shangri La it was gorgeous. The little trick at the end was a nice touch. The game did stick a bit though, about 3 times, but it always started again so I'm not too bothered about that.

Overall, I'd say it's a very good game and I had lots of chuckles playing it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 26, 12 11:28 AM
I apologize. I really should post more wonderful things when I find amazingly terrific games here (which is ALL the time) ... ... but everyone else always says what I think already

BTW thanks, but you know by now that while we have wonderful posts on reviews you should post what you feel about a game personally after trying it.

I also read the posts and some are great broken down to every detail about the game been reviewed, but still I post my own feelings on a game regardless, I think is fun.

Edited on 03/26/2012 at 2:13:04 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 26, 12 11:58 AM
Not a bad game actually. Very simple story line, music gets a bit annoying after awhile, clear graphics (but very cartoony), games not difficult but take some thought. I do like how the HOGs are set up, takes a lot of thought on some of the items. This game is geared more for a rainy day when you just want to relax your brain, which is not a bad thing...I like these games occasionally. This one is going in my puddle, as I can't make up my mind yet. I have a number of others in line first.

Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 26, 12 1:05 PM
Not a game I would buy. Graphics aren't that great and storyline lacks something too. The music isn't something I enjoy hearing over and over. Guess it's just not my cup of tea so won't be a buy for me.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 26, 12 4:09 PM
Well, I don't know which way to go on this

At first I thought it would be far to easy with only one difficulty mode but I was wrong.
They really don't offer much in the options menu at all.

I am not fond of cartoonish graphics as a rule but this game kind of sucked me in. The play is a bit different. There are very few HOS but it's almost like you are solving one huge mini game Some of it is quite difficult to figure out but they do offer something related to a Strategy Guide to help you through. I found that a bit hard to follow at times. You are lucky to stumble across that too. It's the globe in the corner but is not labeled.

The voice overs were well done and it can make you smile. According to the Walk through I only completed about a quarter of the game during the demo so the length should be pretty good.

I give this out of 5. Something you might play during a dry spell

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Mar 26, 12 7:13 PM
Yes, the graphics aren't on par with some of our favorite devs & yes that one-eyed monkey is annoying (imo - lol) - but I just gotta buy this one! The game play itself is soooo well done (as was the first one) - just clever, clever!! I was stunned at how challenging the first one was & sure learned - don't let the cute cartoons fool you! These games are thinkers! But thinkers with lots of goffiness!!! Give this a shot - you won't be sorry! Happy Gaming!!!

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Mar 27, 12 5:39 AM
This might not have the graphics of some of the CE games or the sophistication, but there sure is a lot to enjoy here! I have been playing all the latest CE games recently and just felt something was missing, but with this little game I had a couple of hours of just plain ol' fun!
The graphics are cartoony, but there is a huge amount of humour in the cut scenes which makes this more entertaining than some of the more "modern" games. The puzzles are good but not overly challenging, and you do need to really think about what goes where.
A huge plus for me is that there is not a lot of endless back and forth as there is in some games just to make it a bit longer.
I think for the price you get a whole lot of game here and I would highly recommend it.
Enjoy fishies!

TexasAnn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by TexasAnn on Mar 27, 12 12:49 PM
This game was okay. The story was a little different, with a young girl as the heroine. I did not like the cut scenes (of which there were quite a few). The cartoon graphics clashed with the graphics of the main game.

Hidden object scenes were period, which I greatly appreciated. Some of them were confusing since you had to build items and the individual pieces weren't named individually. Items were easy to see and find.

The map was helpful, since each location had tasks that were checked off at completion.

Mini-games were plentiful, but they were the kind I'm not overly fond of--turn on lights in a certain order or connect the pipes. If you complete the game, you get a picture of the girl, and if you skip a game, you get a picture of the monkey with the eye patch.

I believe I would have enjoyed the game more if it had stuck to one type of graphic, and if there had been more variety in the mini-games.

All this was a good time passer for me, I wouldn't bother buying it.

Kirland
Manatee
Manatee
3,699 Posts

[Post New]by Kirland on Mar 28, 12 10:49 PM
Very clever adventure story with a hint of Indiana Jones thrown in. The comic book style cut-scenes did not distract from the game. Graphics were good. Rita's snarky monkey side kick seems to be able to see danger before it happens. The HO's were interactive, nicely done very clear and easy to see. Sparkles indicate areas of interest. Music was very serene. Mini puzzles were fresh and some what technical.
Lots of humor, enjoyable puzzles and amusing characters to make you laugh throughout the story.Show

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 29, 12 11:46 AM
This is an interesting, funny game. I like this game. Its a buy for me

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Mar 31, 12 9:40 AM
A buy for me as well.

I was surprised that it was not mentioned that this is the sequel to Escape from Thunder Island, also available on Big Fish Games.

If you enjoyed this one, try Escape from Thunder Island as well.

Edited on 03/31/2012 at 9:42:07 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 4, 12 10:45 AM
Really really cute game! When the trial was over, I thought, ohh no, I am enjoying it so much! I like the cartoonish characters, the dialogues are quite good, so the puzzles, adventoures story, which includes mechanical engineering and fun minigames to solve, good graphics and music, beautiful scenery, something unusual from the usual, smart indeed!

Go to: