gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE

[Post New]by gjnashif on Mar 26, 12 10:58 AM
My biggest pet peeve, is reading comments and reviews based on 5 minutes of game play and demo only. It is unfair to developers and unfair to gamers. When a person writes a review and says I played just 5 minutes and don't recommend the game.... how can you make a real solid judgment, you can't. If I based my game purchases on these types of reviews I would never have played hardly any games at all.....

I say this because I played the entire Rita James game, which actually came out a month ago, as you can see it is not a BFG exclusive.

Yes, It was not the greatest game I ever played, that is reserved for the MCF and Drawn series.... but it had the most important element to any game. It was simply fun to play, I loved the animated cartoon, the cut scenes, and the gameplay. It simply made me laugh, I say this because if you base playing this game on someones 5 minute game play opinion..... then you may be missing out.

Reviews are different then comments, I don't think reviews should be based on playing a demo..... at least that is one man's opinion.

-gnashif

The reviews I am referring to are the ones that you read on the actual game buy and demo page. Not here in the forum.

Edited on 03/26/2012 at 11:06:04 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 26, 12 2:47 PM
Well, at least the 5 minute player explained why they didn't like the game (I thought their reasons were quite well thought out).

It used to be that a lot of negative reviews (in the forums) consisted of "this game is horrible - don't buy it!" Now that was really annoying and non-explanatory, lol.

As for the other reviews, unlike some I saw for another game the other day (I usually forget to read them ) I thought that they were all very well written and explanatory - I even recognised some names, lol

You do have a good point about the length of game played before writing a review, however (devil's advocate here for a moment) many of us are not fast players so by the time we finish a game, it could be days later and the momentum is lost. If the player tells us they played the whole demo (but not the whole game), it can still help us decide whether or not to try/buy.

Just my humble opinion

Jen

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Mar 26, 12 4:06 PM
I appreciate that the people who post are saying how long they played the demo. They have every right to give their opinion after however long they play and it is nice that they are posting their "play time" so you can judge how much weight you do or don't want give to the review. I don't have a problem with it.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 26, 12 4:54 PM
I agree that people should not be saying things like this is a horrible game don't buy it.

But since we all have different tastes, doesn't it really boil down to each person deciding for themselves if they are going to like a game and not depending so much on the reviews and comments of others whether it be 5 minutes or 45 minutes.

I have hated games that the majority of the people raved about and liked games that the majority hated.

Edited on 03/26/2012 at 5:02:03 PM PST

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Mar 26, 12 5:44 PM
I believe gamers should try the demo and come to their own conclusion of whether to purchase game or not. If they wish to share their thoughts, so be it. I think different opinions can help, especially if they say something you yourself may not have noticed during demo play. It is usually a personal decision whether you purchase a game or not. No one can actually decide for you. That being said, reviews can be a good thing.
just one person's opinion!
Vallarina

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 26, 12 6:46 PM
Just to be more confusing, I should add that I am still undecided about this game.
I haven't finished the demo yet (I have about 40 minutes left as I was very tired last night), but I did enjoy the first game, so I will finish the demo and then decide if I like it enough to buy.

I also have tried games and deleted within minutes as they were horrible for me, but I also read the comments and reviews to get a broader picture. Sometimes it makes me change my mind, sometimes it doesn't - c'est la vie, lol.

Jen the Confused

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Mar 26, 12 7:16 PM
I don't think that you can really get a good sense of the game after only five minutes of gameplay UNLESS that five minutes consists of technical problems with the game, such as a clunky/slow cursor, too large or too precise of a click area, constant pauses to load new segments of the game, mis-named objects, etc. When something like that happens, it's really hard to actually get a sense of the game because the player is constantly distracted by the problems.

I haven't played this game, so I can't comment on it, but there have been other games that people here have enjoyed, but which I had to stop playing after five minutes because of the problems my particular computer was having with them.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 27, 12 3:58 PM
I have to agree that if this were a TM or a M3 I could understand having a sense of the game after just 5 minutes but with a H0G or LF I don't really see how you could have any informed opinion as to the content and play. Particularly when a game opens with a 3+minute animation.
In regard to the review you allude to if you look to see the style of games this reviewer prefers you would see H0Gs were not on the list so I just assumed they already had their mind made up. It might have been nice if they would have added "Not really my preferred type of game".
When all of us were offering suggestions before the implementation of the reviews I was on the side of only allowing "purchasers" to review as there are a lot of games that change after you are through the demo. Some get easier, others get harder. The demo doesn't always give a good sense. If you need a review of the demo there would have still been the forum.
I have actually stopped reading the reviews on the purchase page because I get the feel quite often that the real goal for some posters is to be the "first" so the review is actually secondary. I also would rather read from someone who has played more than the 20-60 minutes. I much prefer to come over to the forums.

Happy Gaming

[Post New]by mom1116us on Mar 28, 12 9:36 AM
I am in the beginning of the game. It is far from easy but I don't plan to give up on it. what is the sense in playing a game if there is no challenge to it!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 29, 12 3:08 AM
Gjnashif, the 5-minute reviews are also a pet peeve of mine, especially those who elaborate by saying the story "just didn't grab them." I don't mind as long as they specify in their reviews that they only played a short time, but I do think that those "reviews" really belong in the comments thread, not the review thread. At least I know to ignore them if they haven't played a substantial portion of the demo.

I also agree with mamajay that even those reviews are a vast improvement over the "This is the worst game ever - do not buy it!" ones that were so common in the past. First, unless you've played that Oz game from a few years ago you have no idea how bad "the worst game ever" can really be, and second I really don't like being ordered not to buy or even try a game (some would get quite vehement that you shouldn't even download it to try it.) Luckily, we have far fewer of those comments any more.

Robcol
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

[Post New]by Robcol on Apr 2, 13 5:01 PM
I totally agree, entertainment factor is great!

Go to: