bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 29, 12 12:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 29, 12 12:13 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 29, 12 1:45 AM
Well, I almost skipped this game, because of the very very uncomfortable Strategy Guide, which returns to the content page, even if I am in the middle of the play - please developers, you can fix it in one second, do it! I am not Adventure savvy, and I like to play using the SG.

The only reason for buying the game was - the very very comfortable help in movement out of the HOS. This gives me the possibility to use the SG when I am stuck.

Good graphics (blurred on purpose sometimes to add atmosphere - why? I like the "wow" graphics... ), hint recharges a bit slow, nice cut scenes.

I will come later to update the length according the SG.

Edit:

Length:

7 chapters - total 37 pages.
Bonus chapter: 38-44 (7 pages - under average 50 pages).

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Edited on 03/29/2012 at 1:55:45 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 29, 12 1:45 AM
Played 40 minutes of the demo, casual

- Artogon games
- 3 gameplay modes Casual, Advanced, Expert
- Integrated SG
- Notebook
- Map, you get one at the beginning of the game, don't know if it's useful, it gos into your notebook and shows you the island.
- 7 chapters + bonus play
- Voice overs, good
- Music, good
- Hint button refills relatively fast
- H0, you interact, objects not too easy to find
- Gorgeous graphics
- Didn't come across any puzzle in the part I've played
- Good story, a man inherits an English manor...ghosts and creepyness

I couldn't exit the game fast enough to buy it. Loved the first Shiver and this one looks just as good if not better. Grand game

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 29, 12 1:47 AM
well!
very beautiful video on the beginning
voices over(can't tell if the accent is british or not,for me they are all!!!)
very beautiful music ,which fit very well each scenes and is not continuous!some hidden objects scenes are without any music ,just sounds;not easy, not too much difficult
all screens are full!even 23' ones
custom cursor can be switch off
three levels of difficulty(i played demo in middle one)
i was able to see in SG(i did not need it)that there seven chapters and the bonus level,and you can see the number of pages for each
you can see the wallpapers but you can't download untill you have bought the game
very beautiful graphics,and story interesting but not very new
this game has a very special atmosphere,and i like that!
it is a buy for me
try it!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 29, 12 2:27 AM
From Artogon comes this second offering in this series, a tale of probable murder, mayhem, arson, poltergeists, and other horrors in a mansion that has been inherited from long-forgotten and distant relatives. (complete with a snotty butler who as he tends to his "duties" has obviously let the mansion fall into complete rack and ruin).
So as the player it is your job to get the bottom of the multiple mysteries of the old mansion.
There are 3 difficulty settings so you can vary the challenge.
There are surprisingly good voice-overs, and the musical background is very spooky.
The HOS are well done and feature some slight interaction.
Puzzles are sparse, so far as I saw in the trial.
The usual suspects of bonus features are available (concept art, wallpapers).
And the game opens in widescreen as all the better developers are now doing.
The strategy guide is helpful, I suppose, but I did not really need it as the hint system is good enough to keep the fair to average player like me moving along----I almost never use them as they just seem to cancel all the challenge. But it's a nice feature.
Lots of back and forth so be ready for that.
The graphics----well, let's just say I've seen better, lots better. Too rough and a bit grainy.
The story itself, of course, is nothing new or different and I see a potential for boredom here that surprises me given that the previous offering (Vanishing Hitchhiker) wasn't plagued by that problem. In fact, of the two, the first one seems to be a much better game. The game is the 2nd of a series, not a sequel so the story is completely different, just not as interesting. (Certain sequels of games are plagued by redundancy.)
But overall, it is a good effort, just not spectacular.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Mar 29, 12 2:43 AM
I was quite prepared to buy this today and even purchased an extra credit for the purpose- but no sale

another game running around a haunted mansion unlocking doors and finding electrical tape and screwdrivers I do not need- or at least not at double the price.
Very disappointed.

This is a quality game though and I will pick up as an SE probably if I have not forgotten about it by then.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 29, 12 5:10 AM
I am glad to see I am not the only one that gets tired of the same old thing While I enjoyed the demo very much and do really like this game I found some things that just made me grit my teeth.

The first thing for me was the valve missing on the fountain.The minute I saw the fountain I didn't even have to click on it to know. Ugh!

Fantastic graphics and voice overs. The hidden object scenes were very well done and interactive. Some of the mini games are offered in a different way that was a lot of fun. You store them in your inventory until you have the missing piece to finish instead of having to go find it again.

There is a map but I had no use for it during the demo so I don't know how much help it will be. The hint button gives directional arrows and is of help outside the hidden object scenes so I don't know if you would actually need the SG. The journal stores clues so that is helpful.

They way the Poltergeist is presented is fun and in my opinion the best selling point for this game. That is if you like creepy stories. And I do

I would like to buy this game but think I will wait for the SE since there are others that I really want to play and since this has a good hint system and I don't really like the way the SG is done I see no reason to pay the extra.

out of 5. I would have given this a five but I does lack originality and the SG is poorly done. Other than that it's going on my list

To all the Gaming addicts out there " HAVE A GREAT DAY"

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 29, 12 5:32 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of widescreen (when I don't have "widescreen" ticked, the image stretches and fills all of my widescreen monitor).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor, although the system cursor is just a smaller version of the custom cursor.

There are 7 chapters plus the bonus chapter. Only the first 2 chapters are available in the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) always goes back to the beginning. It does not stay open where you last left it.

There is partially voice-over, meaning you don't speak, but others do.

There is a diary on the left, in which you can find tasks, and photos you will take occasionally, and a map.

The map doesn't do anything, it just shows you the lay of the land, but not where you are or places where you need to do something, and you certainly can't use it to jump. It's just a dead map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are nicely spaced. The graphics are not the best, although objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button (which also works outside of the HOS) takes almost a minute to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped.

The SKIP button takes a long time to fill (over 90 seconds at least in Easy mode).

Graphics are not bad, but there is always improvement.

Gameplay is what I have come to expect of most games.

--- --- ---

Please don't hit me when I tell you that I found this game a trifle boring. I am beginning to feel as if I play the same game over and over, with different scenery and people, but having to do the same things over and over, doing things I have now done already in previous games a million times. Nothing new here, I'm afraid.

Also, there is quite a lot of ground to cover, and an active map that shows me at least where I am at any given time would have been great.

I am also not pleased about the time it takes for both the HINT and SKIP buttons to fill in Easy mode.

All in all, a decent game. I will probably buy the SE when it comes out, but definitely not even consider the CE.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 29, 12 8:45 AM
When I read Mudrock's Monday predictions for this week, I thought "Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy--a new Shiver game"! Well, let's just say, after the demo, that I'm neither thrilled nor disappointed.

The storyline--some guy (named "Chellini") who's bored with his "9-to-5" life, receives notice that he's inherited an English estate that used to be owned by the "Kangale" clan. (I don't get the "Family Tree" thing here). Upon arrival at said estate, he's met by a rather snarky butler who's been the caretaker for years. (Apparently, he's done a pretty poor job of it)! So, it's time to explore and to be confronted by the "Poltergeist."

The intro is good, and kinda makes you feel for the guy, who's bored beyond words. Decent voice acting, although our hero goes mute upon arrival at the estate--the butler speaks, but we've gotta read our dialogue. The options menu has the right stuff, including three gameplay modes, cursor choice, and screen choice. And there's, of course, the gratuitous tutorial.

We're presented with a diary/journal early on, which will contain a map that's really just an overhead view of the island, but no interaction--not much help. There's the SG, but (pet peeve) it doesn't have a "memory where you last were--Go back to the beginning each time--not so good.

Graphics are good, befitting the storyline--some a bit dreary, but that's OK in my book. The interactive H0 scenes I played were pretty easy--I thought the Hint system, though, took too long to re-up. But it does help outside of the H0 scenes. I've gotta point out one nonsensical moment--thunder, lightning, pouring rain, yet our "dedicated" butler is outdoors, hedge clippers in hand, trimming bushes! Go figure!

I don't think this game is quite up to the developer's standards from previous releases (Shiver--Vanishing Hitch-hiker, and the last Treasure Seekers)--I'd give it 3.5-4 s.

Regards, elldee

Edited on 03/29/2012 at 8:47:38 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Mar 29, 12 10:37 AM
Thank you for a really great new game. Best one for awhile. You don't have enough of these good games. I give it 5 stars and recommend it for purchase.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Mar 29, 12 10:59 AM
I, too, found the game to be a bit of a disappointment. I found the graphics were way too dark and rather fuzzy, the music was grating, the story the same old same old. The map was useless as it told me neither where I was or where I needed to be. The strategy guide issue has been brought up a few times, so no need to say anything again. Maybe as a SE and yet maybe not.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Mar 29, 12 11:09 AM
Add me to the "pulled me right in" column! Definitely a mixed bag of reviews on this one! But I'm finding it enchanting (though DO side with those frustrated with an SG that doesn't "bookmark" )

I think the graphics are am-azing - I could watch the dust motes in the entryway alllll day - that's sad but true I just love lighting/movement effects like that - and favor devs who go the extra mile to add things like this! So far I've played on H0 scene & it was refreshingly challenging. The scene looked pretty "bare" (not a massive junk pile) but dang if the items weren't challenging to find! Not due to smallness, but due to clever placement - again to me a sign the devs put care into this game!

I'm off to buy and see how this story ends! Happy Gaming all!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 29, 12 11:14 AM

YAY!! FINALLY a CE that screams SUBSTANCE. Looks great in every respect ... I'm diving in and buying this one at the CE price tag.

PS: My new modus operandi: I'd rather have ONE GOOD GAME at full price than a bunch of SE's that I never finish because they are half-rate.

Edited on 03/29/2012 at 11:23:11 AM PST

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on Mar 29, 12 11:22 AM
This looks like a pretty good game to me. I just finished the demo and enjoyed the game except for one thing. The SG, this would be a no buy in the CE version for me because the SG starts back at the beginning no matter where you are in the game. It is a pain to have to flip through every page to get where you want to be. SE's that don't have a walkthrough are also a no buy for me because I like to use them while playing the game. They are a big help. The developers need to let you start where you left off in the SG.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 29, 12 11:45 AM
This is a good game, but good graphic (not great), good gameplay etc. But I think I will these time till the release from SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 29, 12 2:43 PM
WOW What a DISAPPOINTMENT! BF, your SE games are now getting better than the CE's. I was absolutely bored for the half hour I played the game. Way too many HO scenes and not enough puzzles. The graphics are okay, but it is a boring game! Sorry, I just finished the spectacular SE you had earlier this week, but this one is lame. Same old, same old and boring to the extreme!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 29, 12 3:27 PM
OK, I played the demo no even 3 minutes or until I came to the first HOscene and I knew that this one is a buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great opening, nice voices specially when I am playing in first place and have no voice but my own, "what a twist".

Now, the game is great story so far, interesting enough, creepy surroundings, creepy characters "butler".

I played the demo in casual but definitely will be changing to harder mode.

I think this one is another winner.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Great Game!

[Post New]by bluesinew on Mar 29, 12 3:45 PM
Beautiful game, runs smoothly, nice story, hidden objects scenes are meaningful and not laborious.... a purchase for me.

[Post New]by farfromthefar on Mar 29, 12 7:12 PM
Big disappointment for me. I thought the graphics were muddy, The whole everything catches on fire even in hogs was melodramatic. The hero was not very likeable and not very bright. Never seemed to enter his mind that the place was a disaster and was amazed when the ancestor looked a lot like his dad. Duh. Ya think. I was so excited seeing the company which I really respect and the second shiver because I did love the first. Usually their games feel like they were glad to come to work and have lots of little extra touches but this felt drab and rote. I would give it 3 stars because there are some really awful games out there but not a buy for me.

Go to: