bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Life Quest® 2: Metropoville

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 31, 12 12:24 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Life Quest® 2: Metropoville ? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Life Quest® 2: Metropoville page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Life Quest® 2: Metropoville

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 31, 12 12:25 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgFlounder

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Mar 31, 12 7:13 AM
Not sure whether this is a review or not - so forgive me mods if I've put this in wrong place. I can't believe no-one else has posted a review before now.

Loved, Loved, Loved the 1st Life Quest so this will be a definite buy for me. It's very similar to the 1st one. The differences I can see are: 1) you choose whether or not to be challenged by another player and 2) there are trophies to win.

To progress in game you have to have a job, vehicle and own a pet just like in 1st one and keep improving them. You also have to eat, sleep and keep yourself happy, just like in 1st also. You can choose and customize your avatar. You have to have gone through all the 12 stages of the quest by 100 days but if you don't, you can keep playing.

I am soo going to enjoy playing this.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Mar 31, 12 11:51 AM
If you liked the first Life Quest, you'll probably like this one. It's a simulation game in that you have a character and you must make their life great while doing quests and working with their daily time meter.

The graphics are cute. The map looks sort of different, but it's the same sort of "click-here-go-there" map. The music is fine. The premise of the game is about the same: Move to a new town, find a job, buy a vehicle, etc. as game quests. This time quests are in the form of a "pie," and there are three quests to complete each pie slice. You can also choose whether you want to compete against an opponent or just do the quests at your own pace. However, you only have 100 (I think?) in-game days to complete the game. Sort of. The game wants you to rack up as many points before that period is over, but [kind of spoiler alert] if you'd really like, you can just keep on playing with the same character. I found that the game was neither easy or hard-- it was just right. Like the first game, there is a time factor. You only get a certain amount of time to do things each day, and that is hindered by how well you slept and if you ate the day before. You can add more time to that meter by going to the gym, though, so by the middle of the game you can have a decent amount of time to do what you need to do.

I will say that I completed a whole "game" last night in a few hours. I started a new one today with a different character and began with a different job, and it's nice to see that the game experience is quite a bit different, so there's some some replayability here.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Mar 31, 12 1:02 PM
Great, great game! The video at the beginning already had me chuckling, and I enjoy the little jokes and games with words throughout the game. Graphics are great as well, quite quirky.

I enjoyed the first Life Quest, but upon replaying it a while ago, was a bit bored. So, I didn't expect too much of Life Quest 2, but they really made some great new additions. The basic gameplay has remained the same, I didn't use the tutorial with Life Quest 2 and am getting along just fine.

Some changes:

You can chat to people, who react with either liking you more or not. If you reached a certain level of liking, they become friends and then the friendship has to be kept up with calls and mutual activities. This is a great idea.

One also gets a salary bonus in some jobs when wearing certain clothes - preppy clothes in the Sushi restaurant, student clothes as a tutor and so on.

There is more interaction with others, you can go to the police station if you think a friend of yours has been wrongfully imprisoned (newspaper articles keep you updated on what's happening) or you can campaign to become mayor.

Life goals are now in twelve sections and you can pick which one you want to pursue next and whether you want a competitor. They are reached rather quickly in the beginning.

In total, I think this is an excellent sequel. It kept what was fun and added enough to give it a new twist. Already bought it .

[Post New]by Cocoonivus on Mar 31, 12 1:50 PM
I've only played a few minutes of the demo, but this will be a definite buy for me. I bought the original Life Quest as a DD and it's become my most replayed game of anything I've gotten from BFG.

Metropoville seems to have answered some of my complaints about Life Quest. I didn't enjoy that everything had to be a competition. Life isn't about one-upping all your so-called "friends". (If they were true friends, they wouldn't feel it necessary to beat you at everything.)

Information that was buried a bit more in LQ1 is available at a higher menu level now, sometimes right on the main playing screen. There's a bit of a story about how and why you came to town, that also explains the reason for the "12 steps" you're taking. (I agree, the use of "12 Steps" as a term is unfortunate, at least in American markets).

I will say I'm not as fond of the graphics in Metropoville. Especially text boxes and dialogue - they're harder to read than they were in the original game. I'm 51, with older eyes and bifocals. Please, game developers, keep your older fans in mind during the design phase!

Shevyron
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by Shevyron on Mar 31, 12 3:24 PM
I had a chance to Beta this about a month ago. the problem then was I hadn't played LQ1, so off I went (after the Beta) to purchase it, and have been playing it ever since!
So LQ2
It's definitely a harder game then LQ1. The quests are more challenging, and more indepth. This is particularly noticeable when going for the higher paid jobs.
Graphics are similar, I call them comic book type.
There is an element of time management, you have to get things done in a day, including dating/ eating/ working and sleeping!
The expectation is that you complete within 100 days, I was no where near achieving this, and in fact I really struggled with a couple of the quests.

I really enjoyed this game, and am looking forward to playing again.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Mar 31, 12 4:35 PM
This is well worth a try. If you enjoyed the first, you will like this too. I demoed and purchased and am in the early game stages. This a great break from all the HOG style games. Those are fun too, but sometimes I need a break. So far this is a breath of fresh air.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Mar 31, 12 5:34 PM
Take the "Game of Life" and cross it with "The Sims" and you've got an idea of what to expect in this unique simulation.

I'm happy to see the very talented Ryan Clark, creator of the "Professor Fizzwizzle" games has found a home here at Big Fish. His original style lends a creative touch to this new series.

Cheers!

Edited on 04/02/2012 at 1:46:02 AM PST

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Mar 31, 12 6:30 PM
I never played the original, but am having fun with this one...definitely worth a game credit if you like these kinds of games. I especially like that you don't have to have an opponent and the game play is open ended and you can choose what you want your character to do.

[Post New]by lthdte23jhft on Mar 31, 12 10:18 PM
Very boring. wasted 1 hr.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Mar 31, 12 11:24 PM
I enjoyed the first game and have played it many times. I hurried through this demo - trying to advance as quickly as I could, and was really sad when my time was up. Always a good sign!

This has a lot of what made the original fun and refreshing, with some new twists thrown in, as outlined by other posters. I intend to buy it as soon as midnight rolls around!

Geluvweez
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Geluvweez on Apr 1, 12 3:38 AM
love the first one and have bought this right away!

[Post New]by Midnight715 on Apr 1, 12 5:32 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and was waiting for a sequel. This was an immediate buy.

I enjoyed it but found it way too easy, almost easier than the first one. Things weren't all that different either. I always played with the opponent and managed to beat them while still taking as many classes, courses, and fitness sessions as I possibly could. I very easily got to the highest paid profession, the professional athlete. Also, you can accomplish almost everything in a challenge where there is no option for an opponent.

Anyway, it was fun but just not challenging enough. No replay value for me.

krasniikot
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by krasniikot on Apr 1, 12 11:15 AM
I bought it without demo-ing because I loved the first one so much. But I was disappointed to see that the things I felt kept it from being truly great the first go 'round were the same this time 'round.

The lack of high-end paying job finales. In this one, it's only: (maybe a spoiler) superstar athlete. This was highly disappointing to me because I was already a thoracic surgeon. I had to go back to minimal athlete and work up to expert on that--which took many eat, work-work-work, home-relax-relax-relax days and that's just not fun. Also, getting married and having children is really not fun, and it should be.

It's also just as uneven as the last game. The beginning is quite difficult (you never have any money) and then the end you have endless happiness that never goes down so trying to hit the $100,000 goal is boring, again.

That being said, I played it twice yesterday so it was well worth the cost.

[Post New]by lesleyvance501 on Apr 2, 12 2:37 AM
I loved the first one and I liked this game too, but I sorta preferred the more linear plan from the first one. I liked how they told you which were the most logical goals to complete next, etc. I also wished that the challenges would be repayable if you lost in the first game and they weren't and they aren't in this one either. The "making friends", "making good friends", and "dating" things took me a while to figure out. You have to "discuss" activities first and do what they want or you won't increase your friendship as much. Overall I like it. I'm going to keep trying to play those first 100 days and see if I can get the whole pie in that time

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Apr 2, 12 2:39 PM
i bought and seriously enjoyed the first one. I think this second one is a great sequel. I like how they made the game play freer so you can choose what you'd like to accomplish or even if you want an opponent or not. I think they did a very good job.

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Apr 2, 12 3:11 PM
I loved the first one, so I was excited to get an email and saw LQ 2 was available. I just finished playing the demo and I bought it. It still has a lot of the charm and targets from the first game, but it has some, I think, really great additions to it. Such as chatting with people (who you can become friends with, do activities with and, later, date and marry. I assume the marry part because I didn't get that far with anyone), you can choose whether you want to have an opponent or not. If you choose one and win, you get a monetary prize, which is cool. Plenty of great new things and I believe the game will have great re-playability, which the first one had, and still has, for me.

The graphics were nice. The music wasn't too bothersome. I liked the new character models, personally, so I think the upgraded characters are great. Even though I knew how to play it, I still used the tutorial and it was easy to read and very informative.

I'd definitely recommend this game.

[Post New]by lonewolf2567 on Apr 4, 12 9:57 PM
I am disappointed in this game. It keeps kicking me off without saving my progress. Not happy that I have to start new every time I want to use the game.

Lisa

pamhamlet
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by pamhamlet on Apr 8, 12 1:41 PM
I predict this game will soon become THE leader of all TM life simulator games (Notwithstanding EA's The Sims series, which are not actually TM genre).

I did not play original Life Quest, yet I was already hooked at the opening video segment of Metropoville! I just knew this was going to be a fun game. From picking your character, to '"re"-dressing your friends, to finding a mate---it has so much variety and ways to go about achieving goals. Love the socializing aspect here, which was sorely needed in "My Life Story." Also, that when I got sick, the game didn't take half my bank account!

I can't get over how well-rounded the story line and activities are, full of interesting choices and options and people to meet, plus competition, if you want it. Even decorating the house was fun, changing the colors to what I liked---try the wood floors, they're great! The game doesn't quite go the same way twice, so there's lots of replay value here.

Stimulating, satisfying fun! Well worth full price!

Go to: