bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Black Isle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 1, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Trackers: Black Isle? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Trackers: Black Isle page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Black Isle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 1, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 1, 12 12:35 AM
To help you all you Fishies to be as informed as possible on this game, I am going to link to the Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Black Isle Collector's Edition HERE!

Hope this helps and Happy Gaming!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 1, 12 1:09 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual Mode:

There are 3 gameplay choices.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is no Journal.

There is a MAP, which is the COMPASS at the left. When you hover over a place on the map, it will tell you the tasks in that particular area. The map can also be used to jump.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive. You will have to use items from your inventory on some of them.

The HINT button, which also works outside the HOS, refills within 35 seconds in Casual Mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. SKIP button fills fast.

Graphics are quite well done.

--- --- ---

Much of the game, the part I played so far, is pretty much in shades of blue.

This seems to be an interesting game though, and there is lots to do here, and the HOS are nicely spread.

I own and liked the first two "Mystery Trackers" games, am getting the SE of this one.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 1, 12 3:43 AM
I played and bought the CE

I am going to be slightly harder on this game purely because Elephant raised the bar with their last game –" surface - mystery of another world." Here they took a step down from that level, I can’t help being slightly disappointed in this game compared to surface.

BUT compared to raincliff I think it fares well, in some aspects it is better (map). All 3 of this series (the void, raincliff and now this) have gotten better and I have really enjoyed all of them. But I did prefer raincliff setting, the midnight blue - makes it look like every other good HOPA out there, although it does have colour in outdoor scenes throughout.

I enjoyed the live actors, and live animals it is one of the things that make it stand out from the crowd. Although in a couple of cut scenes, the opening being the worst, the lip synch is so way off it is annoying. But most cutscenes how they are done you don’t see their lips.

I love Elephants graphics in their games, crystal clear, no wash on them. But those like myself who hate sparkles will be disappointed. I played on hardcore and I still had sparkles on hidden object scenes (in surface no sparkles on middle setting!)

MAP AND LOCATIONS

The GOOD –
- It has the transporter map, which makes a HUGE difference and raincliff didn’t so that’s a step up.
-It also has an exclamation mark in areas that things still need done in. If you hover over it, it will also tell you what it is

The BAD
One of the major things that set ‘surface’ apart, was the variety of the look and feel of different locations as well as the sheer number of them. In ‘surface’ each chapter was completely different and you never revisited previous chapter scenes even at the end, it was all new.

Sadly here not so, like most other HOPAs out there (including raincliff) you do go back into old locations.
In black Isle, outside it was mostly raining and always dark. I like the rain it was soothing (apart from the thunder!) but maybe a chapter with the sun would be different.

to be continued... (you must know my reviews are snorefests by now! )

Edited on 04/15/2012 at 4:39:25 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 1, 12 3:45 AM
continued..

HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES

The BAD - 95% junk pile and some bad junk pile. (not all)

The GOOD –

-no random click penalty
- Non repeating scenes,
-well spaced out – don’t have one every time you turn a corner!
-Use of inventory item is needed, although sometimes you literally put it in a scene only to lift it out again without interaction but most were well done
- I lOVED the mini puzzles in some, would love to see more and that was my favourite thing about them.

PUZZLES

The BAD - Sadly most/all were easy. I agree the time consuming one was the feathers and I didn't like the 'constellation' one at the end

The GOOD – Even though most were non original it was a good face lift. I haven’t seen the bee puzzle in ages, loved that but would have liked to have seen it harder, and bigger.

I loved the unique take on ‘spot the difference’ took an old and boring (to me!) game to a new level. I did enjoy the puzzles but please make them harder!
And even though they were easy, some did take some time which was good.

RE plot I can’t say anything or it would be a spoiler. It’s not a person disappeared case, which you realise quite quickly but a spin on it. It could have been fleshed out more and those that love a lot of update re story during the game will be disappointed.

Vague *spoiler* for type of ending
-

Ending for main game, I don’t like those kind of endings personally. Everything was 100% wrapped up and then.. It wasn’t a ‘to be continued in the bonus' but very close. I personally would prefer they didn’t say anything if I was a SE player.

SE game time (not including bonus) is a hard one, as I normally don’t play hardcore (no hints, no skips, and only looked at walkthrough a couple of times) it was over 8hrs hardcore and I realised how much I must use hints!

But my normal play mode (no sparkles, rare walkthrough, some hints) I’d guess 6 -7hrs.

If you use sparkles and walkthrough well obviously it’s going to be under 5hrs I’d guess.
Even though there isn’t that many locations, it does take a long time.

If they had no sparkles for Hidden object scenes, harder puzzles, different outdoor scenery no going back to old areas, I'd give it an A. But then I don't give "A"s out often!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 1, 12 4:49 AM
I waited for this to come out SE and finally it's here. I waited because it has such a great hint system that I didn't believe that I would need the SG and usually by the time I get to Bonus Content I am ready to move on to a new game. Very few hold my interest that far.

Although the HOS are junk pile they are fun and interactive. Using items from inventory. The mini games are on the easier side but there are many and some are different and fun to play.
The map provided is very uniquely done, easy enough to understand and helpful. I do wish they would have provided a journal but, again, with the hint working so well you can get by without it.

Even though most of the game is rather dark and rainy the graphics are well done.
This has a great options menu! Three modes of play and seperate volume control for everything. Casual brings a lot of sparkles and hand holding.

Since this has the elusive walk through it is a definite buy for me According to the walk through I completed just over a quarter of the game in the hour demo so the length may not be exceptional but good enough.

I own the last 2 Mystery Trackers in CE and loved them. This rates right up there with those.

Thanks again BF!!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 1, 12 4:55 AM
The latest in the Mystery Trackers series from Elephant Games is a gloomy game; the artwork is all dark blue & it rains incessantly, in addition the graphics were not as crisp as I like.

There are 3 modes, casual with 45 second hint recharge & sparkles absolutely everywhere, advanced with 60 second hint & sparkles to mark the H0s. The hardcore has no hints & although it says no sparkles they are used for the H0s. You might notice a lot of owls around the place but they are only used in the collector’s edition as an extra in game task.

Live actors are used in the transition scenes, the music is very subtle & the background sounds are good. There is a map & if you click on it you will get a closer view of various areas & can use it to jump from scene to scene, it is not the easiest map to use & could have been much better. The hint button will tell you what to do next if you get stuck & make sure you examine all of the scenes well as there are a lot of well hidden inventory items.

The H0s are pretty much junk piles & also rather blurred, you will use some of your inventory items on some of the interactive hidden objects. This is quite a recent development & I like it as it makes them more interesting.

The mini puzzles were fun to play, a mix of the usual sliders, matching items, etc. & most of them were easy to solve.

This review is on the demo only as due to the bad graphics I will not be purchasing.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Apr 1, 12 5:30 AM
I really enjoyed the CE, and recommend the SE! The CE's bonus play was fun, but completely separate from original story so you won't miss it. And there's a walkthrough now, so no strategy guide necessary.

Surprising story. Loved Elf (you'll find out!) and also thought the "cameraman" was great. HOGS were challenging enough, and used inventory items, so you couldn't predict what was next in the story from what was in your inventory. Very well thought out. This one started a bit slowly, but by the end of the demo I definitely wanted to continue. Go for it.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 1, 12 10:38 AM
really enjoyed the game other than the floating cursor, the demo took me 40 mins to play. nice graphics and lots to do

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Apr 1, 12 2:49 PM

*THIS REVIEW IS BASED UPON COMPLETION OF ENTIRE GAME & BONUS*

I'll admit it. I'm a tough critic on these games. However, after playing games like Siberia and Siberia 2, the bar is set seriously high and I expect all games to live up to those standards. So, since almost all games fall short, I'm a tough critic.

When I complete each game, I immediately uninstall it from my system to prepare for my next game. Mystery Trackers: Black Isle is truly the only game I have ever been saddened to uninstall.

What a GREAT game! The right amount of complexity, the right amount of hidden object puzzles (meaning NOT MANY) and just the right everything.

I can find little issue with this game. After my usual routine of turning the music completely down when I start the game, I actually found myself turning back up a bit later, and that NEVER happens.

The interactive map helps with a lot of hopping around. The game had a logic to it that I find missing so often. Everything made sense.

Mild Spoiler:

I didn't like the decisions the main characters made at the end, but that was really awesome, because it was like a movie in that manner. I could see myself sitting in a room with a bunch of friends after playing this game and debating vigorously and in great fun why the characters made the choices they made - just like a good movie!

Excellent game I highly recommend. Oh, and one more thing: buy the Collectors' Edition. It's worth every penny. You get very substantial additional bonus play that furthers the plot very nicely.

Edited on 04/01/2012 at 2:49:26 PM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 2, 12 7:43 PM

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 2:47:12 AM PST

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Apr 3, 12 10:18 AM
Pretty good game. Nice graphics.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Apr 6, 12 3:58 PM
"Hot off the Press!" The intro lets you know that you are in for a thrilling ride. Abduction, mystical characters who try to thwart your progress, realistic lightning, thunder, rain and creepy obstructions. Story takes place on an isle,dogs, lions, lots of detail, looming animation that sudden shock, inventory and item list works synonymous as you move from one scene to another trying to solve the mystery. I was so into the game, free trial time ended, so immediately purchased. Yes! It's that good.

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Apr 7, 12 12:28 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game!! I had the SE version. I liked the reality of the people in the game. Really enjoyed the multitude of puzzles !! It was GREAT to have been able to move around with the map - and a very clever map it was what with the names and pictures of the different areas/rooms available with just a simple click and the exclamation marks letting you know where there was something you needed to do. What an easy way to move around unlike a lot of maps that really are not much help.

It may not be great for the hardcore player , but I found it very entertaining . I have enjoyed all three games in the series and look forward to the next game that these developers put out! If I hadn't already purchased the SE version I would certainly go for the CE on this one. Everybody enjoy!! safarinow

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 7, 12 2:08 PM
Bought the CE and don't regret it.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 7, 12 8:18 PM
LOLOLOL I knew it!! I loved this game it was fun. The graphics were great, I loved the cut scenes and was so happy to see that they are having another BOGO sale this weekend! I got my last post edited so am trying to keep this to a review! Off to buy but still want to know where to buy the other one Gingergal was talking about?! Don't think you should take those comments out commentator? anyway JMHO this is a great game but as always, try it for yourself before you buy! Good time to buy now though BOGO - Cant beat that!

Lean

[Post New]by Butterflyshrimp on Apr 10, 12 12:00 PM
REVIEW BASED ON COMPLETING COLLECTORS EDITION

All previous stated favorable ratings for this game I completely agree with. Have played the other two Mystery Trackers games. This game was exceptional for ONE reason which I cannot state, and is in the top 5 of my collection. Normally I do not pay that much attention to the Bonus Chapter, but in this specific game, I would have paid the CE price for the Bonus Chapter alone. Would love to see MORE like this! Thank you BFG's. Bravo to the developers on All levels. The bar has been raised again!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 13, 12 7:45 AM
I just LOVE Elf!! I may actually upgrade on this one.

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Apr 13, 12 9:51 AM
This is a great game! Enjoyed it. It's a long game and keeps you on your toes. Love the HOG's and the mini-puzzles. They are very different. A must buy!

Go to: