bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 3, 12 12:32 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 3, 12 12:32 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 3, 12 12:59 AM
My latest love are Solitaire games, so I gave this one a go.

This review is based on the demo.

There is only 1 gameplay mode.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

There is a journal.

There are HOS (hidden object scenes), which are widely spread.

The HINT button refills within 50-60 seconds.

The graphics are those of real photos, but old-fashioned looking.

--- --- ---

This game is basically a Solitaire game. You play lots of card games, trying to find cards that belong in a special card set.

From time to time, you get a dusted card or one that has mould on it. And from time to time, you get an object that will help you clean the cards.

I am not sure whether I want to buy this game, mainly because of the graphics. However, I do like this game because of the card games. So I will have a think about it.

--- --- ---

Edited to add: I actually like the dusting and spraying of cards (maybe later on in the game there are more things to be done to the cards). It's the equivalent of finding locked cards that only open up when you have gotten hold of a key card, say. Although, I have to admit that it did become slightly tedious when it happened too often in one hand.

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 4:10:43 AM PST

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Apr 3, 12 1:06 AM
The description of this game is a little misleading - it is a card game essentially with one or two HOs thrown in for good measure (a mixture of formats on this one - shadow or just placed around the room on the levels I played). It is very dated in its format. There are no casual/advanced game options and it is very, very dull. I really do think you should give a game a chance and play the full demo hour before commenting but I just couldn't bear it! From what I could see there was no option to wander about as you were magically transported to the next location (and it needed to load to do this) and people popped in to say something but nothing really useful. There were sparkles on the very first page to show you exactly where the items were hidden but I think this was just for tutorial reasons (as I didn't give the game a fighting chance and go to more than about five levels I can't really say whether this continued as the objects were so easy to find I didn't need any help). Maybe if you can endure the first hour it will get better but I found the endless similar card games very tedious. And what is that duster all about??!!

I hope for all your sakes I am wrong and this turns out to be a magnificent piece of game writing but it doesn't look too promising from where I am sitting!

joray2
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by joray2 on Apr 3, 12 1:08 AM
Well,I'm not to sure about this game. It's a card game with a little HO'S. I found it to be very boring! Would of help alot if you got a score when playing cards,or some type of bonus. The little duster for the cards,to stop and dust off the card is just stupid,and a big waste of time! I really believe with a little help,this could be a good game. This is one of those games that you should play and decide for yourself.

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 1:39:01 AM PST

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Apr 3, 12 1:31 AM
joray2 wrote:The little duster for the cards,to stop and dust off the card is just stupid and a big waste of time!

LOL I have to agree. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make us pause in the middle of a card game to dust our cards off before we could see what the next card is couldn't be more wrong.

In addition, the lack of variety of things to do makes this boring. As the poster above me said, with a little more effort, this could have been a good game.

But as it stands now, a big from me.

pcully
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by pcully on Apr 3, 12 2:34 AM
Good Morning everybody

I am in total agreement with all of you, brushing and unlocking cards was just sooo irritating and I love card games.

As per usual Valdy hit the nail on the head it could have been a good game with a bit more help.

Linda

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 3, 12 3:11 AM
I found the game to be attractive in scene graphics, card deck design, and music. There's more than one form of solitaire used, which I liked, but only 2 forms during the demo hour - I don't know if more unlock later or not. The main design feature I would change is how bright the sparkly stars are in the card game - I'd dull them down a little, myself.

The worst thing was cleaning the cards. If there's a point to it, it was not revealed during the demo hour - it just slows down and interupts the flow of the card game play. This is the number one reason, for me, to not buy this game.

The other thing I noticed was that 2 of the domestic locations early on were ones used in other HOG games that I own. Those were the only locations I recognized so far, so that much I could overlook, unless there's more like that later.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 3, 12 4:13 AM
Graphics were clear, music and sound ok. No voiceovers.

Two features to unlock on completion of game.

HOG - variation of find items by list, number of items and shadow.

Solitaire - swapped between golf solitaire and match solitaire. Neither much of a challenge as you simply have to concentrate on unlocking a few cards rather than clearing the pack. The games are lengthened a little by the fact you have to click on an inventory item to make a card playable. Brush / spray / key. This got irritating and the game would have been better if you had to uncover a card with said item on rather than keep clicking on the inventory item. In addition, I turned off the special effects so didn't have the sparkles on game play.

Storyline - a thief has stolen a pack of cards and you find them as you go through the game. Ranges from finding 1, 2 and 3 at a time.

At the end of the 1 hour demo I had found 45 cards. Will game be nearing the end when you've found 52? Not sure.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 3, 12 4:14 AM
gimmegames wrote:The main design feature I would change is how bright the sparkly stars are in the card game - I'd dull them down a little, myself.

You can turn them off.

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Apr 3, 12 4:55 AM
I would have bought the game if I didn't have to dust and spray. I found that extremely annoying. The premise of the game is great and it would have been enjoyable if not for the chores!!

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Apr 3, 12 10:07 AM
I found it kind of charming, a solitaire game crafted especially for us hidden object/adventure game fans. It was fun to recognize locations from other games, and the music seemed familiar, too. Since it wasn't timed and I like to linger in a game, the dusting, etc., didn't bother me. A lightweight, fun little diversion.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 3, 12 10:14 AM
I also like the solitaire games, but not this one. What mystery is involved here? All you do is find a card. The style of the cards is not pleasing to the eye, sound is annoying. Nice game for anyone who is really into this type of game, but definitely not for me.

jill165x
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by jill165x on Apr 3, 12 10:44 AM
I don't usually buy solitaire games, but I found this one cute and relaxing. My hour was up before I knew it.

There is an unobtrusive status bar at the top of the game so I know I'm nearly halfway through the storyline already. I'm still getting the game because I have a code to use.

If I didn't have the code, I'd probably wait for it to be a Daily Deal.

Added:

As I mentioned, I was at the halfway point at the end of my 1 hour trial. The second half goes MUCH faster; I finished in 15 minutes.

So total storyline game time is about 1 hour and 15 minutes assuming you don't have trouble finding things in the HOG scenes.

Finishing the story unlocks 4 fortune telling card games and free play mode.

I got a really good prediction for my career fortune.

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 12:17:36 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 3, 12 11:13 AM
I enjoyed the Solitaire game and think others that enjoy card and HOG games would enjoy playing it. It's not the same ole thing.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 3, 12 12:04 PM
Ok, this is interesting, I looked at the tittle of the game and there it was "solitaire" so I kind of dismissed as I am not a "solitaire" player, actually I have not clue how to play.

But then again looking more closely the game have some HOscenes, so I downloaded the game.

To my amazement, it actually told me how to play the card games that came along and I am now "addicted" to this game.

I don't care about the HO or the picture objects but the cards are the part of the game that keep me going

I love it.

I am using a coupon to buy this one.

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 12:07:57 PM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Apr 3, 12 12:38 PM
I hated the dusting, spraying and unlocking. What was the point of that? Plus when you got your "magic" cards the game is over. I wish someone would do a solitaire adventure game that had a variety of games that didn't include the two lowest forms of solitaire like this one did. The cards were attractive.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 3, 12 1:34 PM
I do enough of spraying and dusting my furniture don't need to do it in a game too whats after that a vac and a sink where we can wash and vac the cards and BF why do you list a game an HO game when u have a couple of scenes of HO's I'll have to remember that when I tell everyone I have lots of money when It's a thousand pennies ss big fish no buy here but judge for yourself

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Apr 3, 12 2:14 PM
I quite like the mix of Solitaire and Hidden Object. During the demo, there were 2 Solitaire variations, which could have been better as they lacked challenge and 3 Hidden Object variations which I enjoyed. The dusting and spraying of cards was annoying, though and would have been better suited in the Hidden Object scenes.

I'm on the fence about buying, as the main game feels like it going to be short. However, I do fancy playing the fortune telling mode. I'll wait for a sale or DD on this one.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Apr 3, 12 4:04 PM
I enjoyed the demo of this game very much.
I found it relaxing and I like the photographic quality of the graphics.
I also enjoyed the music.
I didn't mind the dusting, unlocking, and spraying of cards in the Solitaire portions of the game. It wasn't that different from using another card to "cut" vines or "break" frozen cards IMO.
The silhouette and finding mulitples of things HOS were nice and I had just gotten to a jigsaw puzzle when I decided to stop and get the game.
I am looking forward to unlocking the fortune telling and free play modes.
There is also widescreen support, for those who need it, listed in the options.
I didn't try it as I don't need it, so I can't guarantee that it works as it is supposed to.
It obviously isn't a game for everyone, but, I am going to use a pcc code and enjoy this game.
BK

Go to: