bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Alice and the Magic Gardens

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 4, 12 12:23 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Alice and the Magic Gardens? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Alice and the Magic Gardens page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Alice and the Magic Gardens

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 4, 12 12:23 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 4, 12 12:31 AM
This game only comes in timed mode. If you don't make it within the time, you have to repeat the level. The timer takes about 8 minutes to run out.

No choice of cursor, no voice-over.

This M3 game is somewhat reversed. You see blocks of squares, which you have to break in order to get the fruit underneath.

There are light blue blocks, which break when you match 3 or more.
There are beige blocks, which break when you match 3 or more.
And there are dark blue blocks, which you can't use to match 3 or more.

You can match 3 or more in a straight line or around the corner - don't know how else to explain it. LOL

ETA: jkuci said it for me: Those "around the corner" matches are "L-shapes".

You earn power-ups, and you will get money from the fruit you collect, with which you can design your own garden.

I am not even considering buying this game, simply because it does not come in relaxed mode nor can you continue to the next level once the timer has ran out.

More ETA: I thought the graphics were very nice. I liked them. I just didn't like having to play a timed game.

Edited on 04/04/2012 at 1:58:38 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 4, 12 1:20 AM
At first, I thought this would be a boring M3 with bad graphics...well, it still does have bad graphics but its sure not boring!

Lots going on here with at least two games in one at the same time, plus morphing game pieces, plus you can make matches using L shapes, plus you have several kinds of varmints trying to eat or spoil the fruit pieces...and it's timed. And thats just the first level groups.

I wish the devs had put alot more work into the graphics but the gameplay is pretty darned cool.

I am tempted to buy this even though it raises my blood pressure some.

Addendum: Bonus game where you earn extra money by splatting ladybugs...

Edited on 04/04/2012 at 1:25:21 AM PST

joray2
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by joray2 on Apr 4, 12 3:21 AM
Hi,I played 39mins of the demo and than bought it. It's a match three game with a twist and I great storyline. This is a winner for me. No voice-over but you really don't miss it! Great game,give it a try.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 4, 12 5:01 AM
At the beginning I was a bit upset. There is NO instruction at all but it is easy enough to figure out if you give it a chance. AND you should.

I know some players will be disappointed that this has no relaxed mode. I only play Match 3s in timed so this is perfect for me

This starts out seemingly a boring game but give it a few minutes and you'll be hooked! My hour demo was up far to fast. I thought there was a technical problem when it stopped because I didn't think I was anywhere near the hour limit.

You really have to give this a shot. It stresses you out a bit but in a good way

Definite buy for me .

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 4, 12 7:39 AM
I played half the demo and had to quit because I didn't like it at all. I find it to repetative and cartoonish. Maybe tomorrow there'll be a better game.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Apr 4, 12 8:56 AM
won't play won't buy this is a childs game! UGH! I do not like 3 match games!

Edited on 04/04/2012 at 8:56:44 AM PST

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Apr 4, 12 9:54 AM
If matching games are your thing then enjoy.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Apr 4, 12 10:45 AM
I'm not crazy about match three games, but I play them one in a while. This one wasn't for me. I felt the objectives weren't clear enough. I didn't like that you couldn't cross over the colored tiles with the fruit.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 4, 12 10:57 AM
I like match 3 games but this one I don't really care for. Might just be me but, it's not a very interesting game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 4, 12 11:14 AM

I just bought this because, after playing the entire demo before I went to bed last night, I dreamed about the gameplay all night and I just wanted to play it some more.

I never play M3 game in untimed mode, so the timer is no deterrent for me.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 4, 12 11:16 AM
jkuci wrote:At first, I thought this would be a boring M3 with bad graphics...well, it still does have bad graphics but its sure not boring!

Lots going on here with at least two games in one at the same time, plus morphing game pieces, plus you can make matches using L shapes, plus you have several kinds of varmints trying to eat or spoil the fruit pieces...and it's timed. And thats just the first level groups.
I wish the devs had put alot more work into the graphics but the gameplay is pretty darned cool.
I am tempted to buy this even though it raises my blood pressure some.

Addendum: Bonus game where you earn extra money by splatting ladybugs...

Splatting ladybugs??? Ladybugs are good for the environment, why not flies or mosqitoes? I dislike this game even more now as it's timed only and now splatting poor ladybugs.

MEnr56

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 4, 12 11:25 AM
(removed by moderator)

Edited on 04/05/2012 at 3:52:26 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Apr 4, 12 12:03 PM
Dear Developers ,

I'm sorry , but i got bored with your game after 7 minutes of gameplay .

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 4, 12 1:32 PM
I enjoyed playing the previous games in this series (Fruit Lockers, and I think the other one was Enchanted Islands or something like that) but since this does NOT have an untimed mode and my hands are slower now, I won't be buying this one. I enjoy the puzzles, but HATE that timer. I don't like feeling rushed.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Apr 4, 12 2:03 PM
I liked it a lot, although wasn't crazy about the bonus levels. It's a different kind of M3 and you have to think what you're doing to complete the levels with the best score. I never ran out of time, and enjoyed the challenge of trying to get gold on each level.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 12 7:01 PM
This is Fruit Lockers type gameplay, which is certainly a different twist on Match-3, and a different sort of challenge to play. I bought this one after the demo hour.

One thing I really like in this one is the relaxing music - several offerings lately have been good that way, and it does make me like them much more - and makes the pests in the games easier to calmly deal with.

As for squashing ladybugs, I don't like that either just because it's a reflex-type mini-game. But the timer is for 1 minute - not too long - and if I get to really hating it, I reckon I can go refill my drink glass while it runs... (btw, some ladybugs bite, and I have no qualms about squishing those ;-) - I think the biting ones were released to kill pests at some point...)

Edited on 04/04/2012 at 7:03:50 PM PST

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Apr 4, 12 10:49 PM
Cute game, nice little twist for a match 3 game with the blocks vs fruit and the L-shape in addition to row matches. Swatting the lady bugs was painful and lasted too long. Not enough to keep me interested or wanting to keep playing after the demo was done.

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Apr 5, 12 1:02 PM
mtvoyager wrote:I'm not crazy about match three games, but I play them one in a while. This one wasn't for me. I felt the objectives weren't clear enough. I didn't like that you couldn't cross over the colored tiles with the fruit.

I do like M3 games, but I'm not even sure this IS a M3 game it was so different. The inability to cross fruit and tiles was particularly annoying, and for now a bit beyond my difficulty range.

I had a difficult time when I first played match 3's. I simply couldn't see the matches, but eventually I learned how, and now M3 are some of my favorites. But there are not one, or two, but at least THREE radical departures from traditional M3 games in this one. It's simply too much for me to take in. If there were a slower learning curve, and yes a relaxed gameplay option I might go for it.

But in the absence of this, game is a no go for me.

Go to: