bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 6, 12 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 6, 12 12:21 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 6, 12 12:59 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Easy mode:

There are 14 chapters.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There is voice-over.

There are 2 gameplay modes. In Easy Mode the HINT button takes 1 minute to refill, and interactive areas are highlighted, and in HARD Mode the HINT button takes 2 minutes to refill, and the interactive areas are not highlighted.

The HINT button can also be used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes).

HOS are beautifully done: great graphics, and beautiful images, without making the scenes appear messy.

Puzzles can be skipped.

There is a journal, which includes a map you will get a little later on.

The MAP only shows where you are. There are no real features, you just see a red dot on the map, which is you.

--- --- ---

This game is visually stunning. Gameplay is just the way I love it, and it was a long game.

The only misgiving I had with this game was that the characters suddenly zoomed in on me when they wanted to speak to me. It gave me a fright every time they did that. LOL Otherwise, one of the rare beauties.

Edited on 04/06/2012 at 1:45:48 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 6, 12 7:27 AM
This was an excellent game; it took me over 5 hours to complete in expert mode & no need to buy the Collector’s Edition as the ending was very satisfactory.

There are 2 modes, casual with 60 second hint recharge & sparkles/glints everywhere or expert with 2 minute hint, unfortunately this mode also has a big blue neon eye wherever there is a hidden object scene. The music was good, not too over the top & it suited the game.

The voiceovers however are only in the first sets of cut scenes & then again at the end. Most of the game is dialogue only, it is clickable, I recommend watching the cut scenes as they are very good; I particularly liked the ones that were shown as paintings being coloured in. I did not like the way the characters leapt to the front of the screen with a sort of whooshing sound when their dialogue appeared on screen, it was rather disconcerting.

You do collect quite a lot of inventory items but they are used relatively fast so you are not carrying a great many objects at the same time.

The H0 scenes do have interactive items during the demo but after that they disappear & they are just word lists. However some of the objects are well blended in & it was fun searching them out.

There are not very many mini games & they are the usual sliders, move tiles into a specific coloured corner, there is a skip button but I only needed it for one puzzle, all the rest were pretty easy. However there were some tasks to solve through the game which added interest & were fun to figure out.

You do get a journal which has a few clues within & there is a map but it only shows where you are, you cannot use it to jump between scenes. There is quite a lot of going to & fro between areas but I did not mind as the graphics were clear & crisp & the artwork excellent

**** Friday's Games always produce a good looking game & this is well worth playing.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 6, 12 8:10 AM
Thank you to Valdy and SeaBamboo for two great reviews.

I only played 30 mins demo and have come out to buy the game. The only thing I didn't like was that the voiceovers weren't consistant which is a pet hate for me - I like to hear all or read all. But the game itself seems to be so good (and has been confirmed by Valdy and SeaBamboo) that I will simply turn the sound down when I play.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Apr 6, 12 10:22 AM

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 1:00:52 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 6, 12 10:45 AM
excel game made even better with the buy one get one offer I bought the CE cause I couldn't wait this is a great deal with the special

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Apr 7, 12 12:53 AM
Excellent! I had fun with this game. Some of the puzzles were difficult. The story is okay and there is an ENDING. A movie ending. This is just a good game. Graphics good, puzzles great, HOGs are not difficult and I was able to find everything. Thanks BF, I really enjoyed playing this game. More like this would be fun.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Apr 7, 12 12:55 AM
Excellent game. Story line fun, puzzles are not easy but challenging, the hint button helps you find where to go next, the HOGS are not hard, the cut scenes to the story kept me watching. A great game BF, thanks for the fun.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 9, 12 11:18 AM
Good - bought CE

Edited on 04/09/2012 at 11:19:09 AM PST

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Apr 9, 12 11:28 AM
Loved the game -- Thanks BFG!! Great, interesting, very diverse game. What a welcomed twist for the HOG genre! My only "complaint" is that the HOS were a tad dark and "trash piled". In fact, some items were so dark it was difficult (at least for me) to find them even after using Hint. And, PLEASE PLEASE don't give us 21st century items when the story's based in the 18th and/or 19th centuries.
All in all, a truly terrific game...so I eagerly purchased the SE version. And it has a real, movie style ending. Try this game, you'll be refreshingly delighted you did so!

janesolo1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by janesolo1 on Apr 9, 12 2:00 PM
I honestly can't think of another game that had me more spellbound! I literally could not tear myself away! The only complaint was that just a few of the HOG scenes were so dark I couldn't see some of the objects.

I tend to prefer creepy games, and this was plenty creepy. The graphics were great and the surprises were really startling.

More, more, MORE like these, please, please please!

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Apr 9, 12 8:14 PM
All I have to add is "Wow". Great game and loooooonnnnnnngggggg+ Just the right level of challenge for me, not too easy, not too obscure. The games were different too. Just great. 5 stars for me.

Reniemary
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Reniemary on Apr 11, 12 10:38 AM
Just finished a great game. Puzzles were great... somewhat different from the norm. I stayed interested to the end when a lot of times I start to get bored. I played on the difficult level... not too easy... not too hard.

[Post New]by NJgal23 on Apr 13, 12 11:38 AM
What a great game. I enjoyed every minute playing.Will be looking forward to more of this type of game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 13, 12 2:40 PM
This is really a great game and it has a widescreen option which works! The graphic is really good and I like especially the storyline. For me its a definete buy

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 14, 12 8:24 PM
I really enjoyed playing this game. The graphics were beautiful, the music pleasant, the puzzles unique, and the cut scenes superb. It played really smoothly on my PC, and the game length was really decent. I'm surprised that it has not gotten more reviews. Oh well, I enjoyed it. A really well made game.

VanRonk
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by VanRonk on Apr 26, 12 2:44 AM
I agree with everything Valdy said.

I really, really, really enjoyed this game. I played on expert mode because it takes longer! As usual, no glitches, superb graphics, great storyline,

Now I have to find something similar........

paco12348
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by paco12348 on Apr 29, 12 8:49 AM
In the hidden object scene where one must find the eye I took the paintbrush to dip in the pink paint and used it on the blank eye. It didn't work so I went to the walkthrough. It showed to do exactly what I did. I went back and tried again. The words that come up are "Better not do that" among other things like, "Anymore ideas?"
I'm out of ideas. Does anyone else have one?

mollyroselee
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by mollyroselee on May 23, 12 7:19 AM
just finished.great game, gave me hours of entertainment!!! enjoyed story line and graphics were excellant! bring on more along these lines!

Go to: