bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 7, 12 12:30 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 7, 12 12:34 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

MABJBMB
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by MABJBMB on Apr 7, 12 2:29 AM
Kind of interesting is my impression of the demo. I think I'll pursue more and buy. Graphics are great and there's a real mystery to investigate. I'll leave all the technical stuff to others to review. I think that if you like murder/ whatever mysteries this will be fun to pursue.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 7, 12 2:46 AM
A second offering (from a dev whose name I don't think I can say here) concerning murder most foul.
A lot of gruesome material here so be warned.
But if a murder mystery is your particular cup of tea, this game is excellent.
I don't want to say anything about the plot so as to not give away anything, but the story drew me in immediately.
And the game opened in a beautiful widescreen presentation which, of course, more and more of the quality developers are taking care of on new games. Maybe some of the ones resting on their laurels will take note of this trend.
The graphics are very well done and very realistic----a departure from the style we see on many games, which is fine because it adds to the realism of the story and the gameplay. No cartoonish characters to be found here.
The HOS are quite a challenge but not of the impossible style, and that is good too. After all, I like to play the games not so much because they are easy, but because they are a challenge.
A big plus is the back and forth banter between the detectives----clever touch that shows some thought rather than the frequent mauling of English so often found in these games.
There is not any hand-holding, just an occasional glint to give you a nudge.
The music is very appropriate which adds to the game.
I liked this game a lot----a very good change of pace that is very well done.
Kudos to the devs for an excellent game.
Highest recommendation.

ETA----With the sale going on, this should be a must!!

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 2:49:06 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 7, 12 3:55 AM
This review is based on the demo.

There is only 1 gameplay mode.

There is no choice of custom or system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a map.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have sometimes nice graphics (as in the park) and other times they don't.

The HINT button, which also works outside the HOS, refills within about 35 seconds.

Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button fills relatively quick.

Graphics are of the realistic type.

--- --- ---

This is more of an adventure game (reminded me slightly of CSI) with HOS thrown into it.
I didn't care for the first game, and this one wasn't quite my cup of tea either.

Happy gaming everyone.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Apr 7, 12 5:38 AM
Valdy wrote:This review is based on the demo.

There is only 1 gameplay mode.

There is no choice of custom or system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a map.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have sometimes nice graphics (as in the park) and other times they don't.

The HINT button, which also works outside the HOS, refills within about 35 seconds.

Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button fills relatively quick.

Graphics are of the realistic type.

--- --- ---

This is more of an adventure game (reminded me slightly of CSI) with HOS thrown into it.
I didn't care for the first game, and this one wasn't quite my cup of tea either.

Happy gaming everyone.

Ditto.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Apr 7, 12 6:21 AM
I have still not made my mind up fully on this one, some things are great, like the mini-games and general nature of the investigation, but then some of the HOG scenes are really annoying.

Looking at the length as well, I am unsure whether it is worth spending money on. I was just starting Chapter 3 when the hour was up, so I might wait on this one.

Something a little different to the usual stuff though.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 7, 12 6:40 AM
I don't write many reviews anymore, so many others do such an excellent job, but for this game I will. This is based on 32 minutes of the demo.

If you like the Women's Murder Club series (which, unfortunately, I have heard is ended), you should try this game. I have the previous one, and yes, it got pretty dark, but hey, you're investigating murders. Gotta expect that.

The graphics are clear (my favorite style; I'll buy just about anything from this dev). So far all the action I've seen has taken place in the morning, so everything is bright and clear. I also appreciate the unusual location - no spooky mansion here.

The dialogue is voiced in the cutscenes (so far have only seen one), and was fine, neither outstanding nor irritating. The dialogue in the main game is written and, when clicked on, goes away fast enough to consider it a skip. I would advise reading however; some of it is amusing, and it seems to be only a line or two at a time.

The progression of tasks is logical so far. You need an item, you go find it, you use it. Some items are carried in inventory, so I don't think all tasks will be that cut and dried.

The HOs are junkpile, but not excessively so. Some items are strange; in the first two HO scenes I had to find a pacifier! At a crime scene? Hmm. I don't know if the lists are randomly generated, you may or may not have the same lists. ITEMS DO NOT SHOW UP AGAIN ONCE REMOVED!! As you can tell, this is a big point for me.

I have only come across two puzzles so far, and I admit to not being too jazzed about them. The first, disarming the bomb, I had to skip, as the tangle of wires was too much for my eyes. And skipping it was not easy; although the button was fully filled, it would not click. I was finally able to back away from the scene. When I went back in, I could click the skip button.

For the second puzzle, the manhole cover, I had to come here and get a hint. It was not clear at all to me what needed to be done. Seems like if you get lucky and perform the proper action by accident, you will be able to solve this. Anyway, the answer is already here in the forums.

So, not a perfect game, but a definite buy for me. The storyline is intriguing and I definitely want to see more. Games by this dev are usually fairly long, with interesting things to do. Now to figure out what the second game will be! Dark Strokes maybe?

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 7, 12 7:21 AM
This type of murder mystery are no new to me, I quite enjoy the ones before this one, the game is good, entertaining and the story mystery is well put together.

The HOscenes are a bit cluttered but easy to find what you are looking for.

I enjoyed the demo and actually keep me going until it was over.

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 7:21:47 AM PST

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Apr 7, 12 7:29 AM
The first game The Hand That Feeds was okay - I bought it at SE price - This current offering is much better than the first [IMO]
After playing the demo - it is a buy for me
Some will not care for the gameplay - try it you might like it.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 7, 12 8:00 AM
I like, BF. I see the SEs are getting much better. Kudos to you!!!! Thank you for providing very entertaining venue. I am a Nancy Drew fan and this game is a Nancy Drew lite. Not going to comment on the logistics of the game as so many others who beat me to the punch in the morning. Sorry, but seldom do I stay up until 3 a.m. to play a new game coming out from BF. Sometimes I have done so if I had to do work, but not lately. My only little complaint is that the items in the HOG scenes are hard to find and I have a large monitor so I cannot imagine looking for them on a small screen. Good job! Gets me fired up for the next Nancy Drew soon to make is appearance in May, Tomb of the Lost Queen. Love these mysteries and BF does a good job combining adventure with HOGs. As I continue playing, however, the game is a little difficult. Having problems with the manhole cover, so I would also add at this point, this new developer needs to refine his skills to make his games playable. Being too difficult and tricky can turn many off!

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 9:11:49 AM PST

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Apr 7, 12 8:58 AM
Another distasteful game for me, I got a headache from the junk pile, had to quit.

Happy Gaming fishes.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 7, 12 9:49 AM
I enjoyed the first Special Enquiry Detail from Flood Light Games & this is also fun to play; I love the banter between the detectives. Unfortunately it is in subtitles as only the cut scenes have voiceovers; however you can click through if you read quite quickly. You do not need to play the first game in order to make sense of this one.

The graphics are extremely clear & the artwork is like is similar to a good comic book, the music leaves a lot to be desired so I used my own. There is no choice of gameplay, the hidden object scenes have sparkles & there are glints if you don’t click on an active area reasonably quickly.

You get a task list to keep you on track & in the bottom left of the screen is a TV which contains a map that shows where you are & is occasionally used to move you to a new location.

The H0s are, for the most part well drawn, some objects are cleverly hidden behind others or are laid at an odd angle however there are a few where the locations are rather dark which makes it difficult to spot the items. The hint button recharges in 40 seconds which helps.

There are also a lot of mini puzzles; some are very easy such as move boxes of differing sizes from one place to another or comparing hair samples to the pretty difficult. Some of the in game tasks are a little hard too, like another reviewer I had to come to the forum to figure out the manhole cover. There is wide variety of types of puzzle & they make for a more interesting game. If you get stuck there is a skip button or if not then one of the characters will give you a clue if you use the hint button.

If you love mysteries with hidden objects thrown in then this is for you; this is on my definitely going to buy, just waiting to see what the TGT is for tomorrow so I can get 2 for 1 in the Spring sale .

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 7, 12 11:39 AM
Personally I didn't like the game. It is a lot like the other detective games and more of an adventure. Me.. I like a little hand holding.. but that is just me. Will see if I can finish but doubt it. Too many games out there that I really like, so why spend time on one I don't like.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 7, 12 11:55 AM
Not a bad game. Not a lot of direction and too much unnecessary talking. HOGS are not really appropriate for the setting and you keep going back to the same ones...gets boring. Music annoying. Hint system pretty good. Graphics nice, game play nice, story line different. All in all, I liked the game, but not sure if I like it enough to purchase. Will wait to see what comes out tomorrow.

Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 7, 12 12:41 PM
I wanted to like this game since we're having such a good sale but I just can't get into it. The object in the hog scenes are way too small for me. The objectives are somewhat obscure. It just isn't a straight forward game. I dislike dealing with blood, hair, etc., samples. Some will like it and IMO more will not.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 7, 12 1:57 PM
With the "TULIP" sale I think this is a buy. The storyline is interesting and graphics look good to these eyes.

krinneyd
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by krinneyd on Apr 7, 12 2:07 PM
Fantastic Game, great story line, hard puzzles, great graphics!!! This was an intense and thrilling game to play. Not my usual type of game but it grabbed me from the get go. I wasn't very impressed with the first special inquiry: the hand that feeds, and almost didn't even bother to try this one. Bought it right after I finished the demo. It has taken me 7 hours or more roughly to finish and like a great book I couldn't put it down. Well done, story and suspense was intense...so much so that I was getting really impatient with the tough HOS and skipped half the puzzles! Kudos to the developers....it was like being in an interactive TV detective show. Loved the interaction and remarks between the detectives....funny stuff. all I can say is MORE, MORE, MORE!!!! KEEP THESE COMING!!!

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Apr 7, 12 2:41 PM

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 6:49:59 AM PST

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts