bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for A Vampire Tale

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 10, 12 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of A Vampire Tale ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the A Vampire Tale page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 2:49:21 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for A Vampire Tale

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 10, 12 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Apr 10, 12 9:23 AM
I would rather have a root canal than play this scored and timed H0PG with miniscule items to find and very easy mini games. It does not seem there is any Adventure. Do 3 H0 searches, play a mini game; do 3 H0 searches, play a mini game, etc. There is, thankfully, a hint button, but it takes a while for it to restore. Lose 25 points every time you evoke a hint. Mis-clicks are penalized unless you are lucky enough to click on a "you have found a bonus object" object. Run out of time and you don't get to play the mini game. Ask me if I care.

You play as Caroline from Nice, France. Her father, who was working in Paris has disappeared. Caroline has not heard from him in 2 weeks. She is worried. She searches his study and finds notes that he has gone to a castle in Transylvania. Of course she leaves immediately -- well after we search her room for things to pack, and the garden, and father's study. And crack open the safe.

The story actually has some potential: Caroline "…uncovers an ancient ruin and the prison of a centuries old vampire. Accidentally freeing the vampire sweeps Caroline into the middle of a vampire clan war that has raged for a millennia. Too bad it is stuck in such a dreadful game.

The game is narrated at the start of each chapter by an English speaking gentleman. Caroline has a French accent and a lot to say during cut scenes. Otherwise you will read the dialogue -- a blessing. Some of the artwork is rather nice. It is not wide screen.

This game is like the ones for those of you who want straight HO games. In all good conscience I cannot subject you to this particular game, however.

Mip81
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by Mip81 on May 18, 12 1:46 AM
Is it just me or today's HO all look and feel the same?

In a noise of HOs out there with the same structure (you know the type: go there find that go back use it on something get another object and use it somewhere else etc... makes you feel like a frustrated tennis table ball)

I actually ENJOYED playing this old school type of game. I grant you it has flaws and some annoyingly hard to find objects but the story is well written and the voice overs are indeed professional helping you emerge in the story. Music helps too for this.
ALL mini games and puzzles are story related, something I liked and the story is one of the best I've seen in HO lately. You change characters and start playing with a vampire after Caroline (the main character) is abducted.

In short, play this game if you like:

- good story HO
- emerging atmosphere (VO, music, story all very nice)
- retro type gameplay (many hidden object scenes and minigames in a linear story line)
- gloomy locations (sewers, caves, dark castles)

Don't play it if you like:
- eye candy graphics games with no interest towards a good story line (full of them out there)
- standard gameplay in most HOs today.

The game ends with a question mark and that makes me think the story behind it is much more than presented in this. I'm really curious what will happen with Caroline and Albert in a second part of the game, however don't know if there will be one?

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jul 4, 12 6:04 AM
YUCK horrid game. This game is timed and way to much yacking. If you don't click, you'll sit there all day, waiting for the next scene to show up.........................JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.............................NO BUY HERE.......................... happy 4th everyone

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 6:05:17 AM PST

merry49
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by merry49 on Jul 4, 12 6:29 AM
It's been a long time since I've seen an old school HOG (where there's really only HOG scenes vs. an adventure) here, and I guess I've gotten spoiled having more to the game than just looking for objects. Not a big fan, but I'm sure there are folks who dearly miss the non-adventure HOG's!

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Jul 4, 12 8:05 AM
I started playing the demo and didn't complete it. The story's premise is interesting. Game play is ok, with HO scenes and puzzles. But there is enough in this game to frustrate me that I didn't complete even the demo.

-1- The objects are exquisitely tiny in the HO scenes. You need a magnifying glass prop for this one to find a lot of the objects without going blind.

-2- I find the girl popping in every single time you find an important object to be HIGHLY annoying.

-3- Otherwise, the puzzles are very doable.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 4, 12 9:15 AM
I really like the vampire story and even don't mind the old school cartoon images. However, the HOG objects are extremely small and very dark and difficult to see. This looks to be a staight HOG since I haven't run across any games yet.

Graphics nice, music nice. Too much talking and a big lag time between scenes. This is not a bad game, but could have been much better without too many changes.

This is a nice game for a beginner who doesn't mind the eye strain, but not for me.

Thanks for the reviews.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 4, 12 9:21 AM
This is a no buy for me. To be fair I will list a few reasons why.
Slow loading.
The graphics and game play felt like a 2003 game being played on my 2012 computer.
Too many HOG objects to find.
Too many pop ups every time you found something.

This game has too many issues to compete with today's HOGS. I really thought at first it was an old one being advertised for some reason.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jul 4, 12 10:42 AM
Worst fake french accent ever. Wholly annoying. The artwork was decent but I'm just not a big fan of straight HOG's anymore. It was more of a challenge trying to figure out how to get the game started than it was to play it. No buy for me.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 4, 12 11:13 AM
Actually a well thought out game with a lot going for it. Unfortunately for me, timed = no buy

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jul 4, 12 12:16 PM
I give it a 1 1/2 Stars, the HO are terrible, hard to see, story is same old same old. Would never buy this one even with a credit.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 4, 12 12:48 PM
This is a beautiful looking game, very detail scenes, nice story, a fantastic game for those that do no like to be too interactive but rather wants to spend their time looking for objects only.

Very nice.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jul 4, 12 1:37 PM
Based on the reviews I read, the game appears to be timed so, because of that, I won't even play the trial. All games, in my opinion, need to have a timed/untimed option.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 4, 12 3:07 PM
I got through the first Chapter and decided to quit wtth twenty minutes to go in the trial. The HO's were ok and I didn't find them too difficult but I didn't like all the chit chat and especially did not like the fact that the game was timed. That is a very big NO for me. As far as the hint button, it didn't take that long to charge but I didn't use it much anyway..

Not for me, I'm afraid. Boring. This game would rate very low on my scale.

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 3:07:39 PM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jul 4, 12 4:12 PM
Fun change of pace! I like the graphics - but do agree some items are teeeeeny!! It's a nice trip down "memory lane" to play a timed & scored game - when I first joined the pond I would only buy games that kept score!! I still love to replay those games too. It's great to get lost in an awesome emersive game - but there are days you just want to zone out and race the clock!

As always I recommend giving this a try & judging for yourself! Happy 4th and Happy Gaming!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jul 4, 12 4:19 PM
LOL "too many HO's" "not enough Adventure" - that would be like someone coming into (for eg) a Nancy Drew forum and saying "too much Adventure" "we want HO's"!!

This game is described as a Hidden Object Game. Not a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

Looking at the screenshots I wasn't expecting anything other than a straight HOG so was a bit disappointed with the dialogue and especially when she kept popping out from the side when you found some things.

I don't mind the timer in HO scenes but I don't like them in mini games.

I don't mind the small objects - I prefer a bit of a challenge in the HO's especially in a straight HOG.

No buy for me because I've got older and better HOGs I replay all of the time and this one doesn't play as well as those.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jul 4, 12 5:58 PM

This game is just wonderful. Put on your headphones and enjoy the subtle, quality and superbly done sound, music and voice in this game. The settings are extremely well done in terms of historic and realistic settings and therefore truly puts you into the character mode and allows your imagination to propel you through the game making it mysterious and pulls you right in and along in story.... Overall, just based on the Demo, this is top notch.

A very well done little vampire themed scary mystery with appropriate settings and atmosphere... the H0Gs are keyed to the setting of each scene rather than silly piles of messy junk and the dimness is appropriate to the time of day and atmosphere as well.

I am off to buy.... thumbs UP!

Thanks BFG.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 5, 12 7:40 AM
this game did not get our attention, plus you are timed while you play. it is not a buy for us.--------doug & lisa

iamshiva
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by iamshiva on Jul 5, 12 12:56 PM
boooring. almost fell asleep. so slooow.

Go to: