Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - Coyote`s Tale: Fire and Water

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 1:43 AM
Ok, very mixed feelings about this one.

The Good: I like the artwork of the scenes and interface. Nice and clear, though on the dark side, had to pump up my gamma, but I almost always do. There's a Relaxed Mode so YEA! At first I didn't think there was any hints so eek! BUT at the beginning if you get stuck the "god" will show you. As you progress you get items that add hints. The game does not let you get stuck. There is (I assume) a different mini-game for each of the 15 gods you challenge. I made it through 5 with 7 minutes left on demo. The games were ok, variety there, but nothing new. You can skip them. Hidden Objects very easy at first but increasing difficulty and higher numers with each level.

The Bad (or really just not so good) : the hint system is a bit funky. It's rechargeable with specific found objects, but if it's full and you find 5 of those it just shows you an item. I would prefer to use when I want on the item I want. The actual hints find the next item on the list. There cursor is a bit picky and some things took several clicks but no penalty on Relaxed, don't know about Timed. Looks Like it will be a little on the short side. I personally did not like the artwork for the characters much at all.

The Ugly: Voice acting is *terrible* imo and you can't turn it off. You can skip dialog all together but can not quick click thru it so your choice is reeeally bad acting (on the main characters anyway, some of the gods were ok) or no story. But actually no story is kinda ok because the writing is almost as bad as the acting. Pretty juevenile humor (not in a good way ) and just... bad. Maybe crafted for a younger mindset than mine. I might just not get it.

SO! Not going in the junk pile yet for me, in the maybes, as game play is good enough and art work nice enough to save it. But gotta give it one of these:

Edited on 01/29/2009 at 2:05:12 AM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:TGT - Coyote`s Tale: Fire and Water

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 29, 09 1:53 AM
Hope it's a good review, looks like a really good HOG.

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Jan 29, 09 1:56 AM
me too ..always love your reviews Poodle

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 29, 09 2:10 AM
The good sounds quite good and worth a spin at some point (still not demo'd Marta Hari or Sleepy Hollow!).

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 2:18 AM
Purplerabbit wrote:The good sounds quite good and worth a spin at some point (still not demo'd Marta Hari or Sleepy Hollow!).

I loved Mata Hari (tho I know a lot of people really didn't) and thought Sleepy Hollow had great artwork and voice acting on the part of the narrator. I really liked it at first but I found it got a bit tedious towards the end because it was absolutely old school Hidden Object with lots of repeating scenes. For me (and this is just my personal taste) there would be more interest game play wise in Coyote`s Tale as I *hope* there is a different mini-game each level (since I only played 5 don't know if they repeat) and each god gives a reward of some kind so that is a thing to look forward to and move it along.

...and thanks, sawadee93! I try to be thorough and informative and not just say this is boring or this rawks.

Edited on 01/29/2009 at 2:20:30 AM PST

tiasnana
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tiasnana on Jan 29, 09 2:42 AM
I thought this game was a real mess with a lot of glitches. I was playing the timed mode and it was continually hanging up. I only played for about 15 minutes and got so frustrated I didn't even want to finish it. I had to use the task manager to leave the game.
My computer is up to date and I checked to make sure it had everything to necessary to run the game. I've never had this problem with any other game from BF. I sent a note to customer support, so if they do a new version, I'd like to try it again and maybe even buy it. For now, I had too many problems to actually know if it's a good game or not.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 2:45 AM
Sorry you had probelms, tiasnana. It ran totally glitch free for me for the whole demo, but I was on Relaxed, maybe there's issues with Timed Mode? I'd beinterested to here if others had problems on TImed.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jan 29, 09 2:52 AM
This game needs a graphic acceleration off mode option. It ran like ca-ca on my PC. Pixels were kinda square, the cursor floated around too much to even have the patients to finish the game. The wide screen didn't even cover my whole screen. Too many glitches! With all that aside, the game seems very, very easy. Not enough challenge for me, but then, I didn't get to play very much before I gave up in disgust. I played the relaxed mode.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 29, 09 3:38 AM
I played the demo in timed mode and had the same problems as tiasnana. Lovely graphics, but couldn't stand the dialogue. And very easy. Though I did think the option to switch between picture and word list was fun. But I won't be buying.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jan 29, 09 4:38 AM
The game ran fine on my computer, but I deleted it with 23 minutes left on the demo. The dialog was driving me crazy and the game was just too easy.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Jan 29, 09 4:41 AM
scotcat is spot on as usual....clear, clean, short and sweet review! Thanks

Katydidit1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by Katydidit1 on Jan 29, 09 4:44 AM
I played the demo for the entire hour with no glitches or slowing down. I can't really put into words what I think of this game...but I will try.
It's goofy, for one. The gator without a bottom part of her mouth cracked me up and I actually felt sorry for her. The character voices were really bad and the acting was too! Even though I chose the relaxed mode I felt rushed because I knew the hint was going to come up at any moment and I would rather find my own objects and choose the hint at my leisure. The mini-games were OK...at least the ones I was able to do in the hour demo. Even though I usually buy games I play for the whole hour demo, I really don't think I will be buying this one. It is so hard to explain why this game is bad for so many reasons and I think everyone should at least download the demo to see for yourselves. I really like games with a bit of humor, but this one doesn't grab me at all.

Good Luck!
Katy

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Jan 29, 09 4:51 AM
Waited for reviews on this one - read them -played a bit and still in "don't know" category!!

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jan 29, 09 4:55 AM
I agree with you Poodlebear, it's not a definate no or yes yet. The graphics ARE really nice, though. (
scotcat, I have a wide screen and it ran fine on mine. I played in relaxed mode also.

firestone1960
Flounder
Flounder
2,309 Posts

[Post New]by firestone1960 on Jan 29, 09 5:03 AM
I was unable to dl - it told me it was corrupted - since it's a large dl, and I couldn't get into forums or anything - I think the servers must have overloaded and we had a backlash - with the reviews it's gotten - I'm interested in giving it a try - so I will try later to dl and hope it all goes smoothly.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 29, 09 5:34 AM
I just started it, and have a nit-pick. When I typed in my name, the font was TINY. The profiles list has nice large font for "Click to Create a New Profile" but my name shows teeny tiny there. That's going to be a pain if I buy this and eventually have multiple profiles (which happens when somebody visits and thinks a game is interesting).

edit: the tutorial font is teeny tiny too.

Edited on 01/29/2009 at 5:37:30 AM PST

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Jan 29, 09 5:36 AM
Think I will wait for a few more reviews before i download, I´m undecided

hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Jan 29, 09 5:41 AM
I played timed mode, and I didn't encounter any glitches. It played fine for me but, again it was so-so. Don't think I'll be getting it, have many more on my wish list.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Jan 29, 09 5:56 AM
According to another web site, this game was written by a development team in Siberia. I think about 50% of BFG's come from teams in eastern European countries--not a complaint--they've written many of my favorites found here-- so there's always a problem getting really good translation and voice acting when you're on a small budget. Look at the names under the credits for your games and you might be surprised.

The character artwork has a real Disney feel to it--reminds me a lot of the art style in Alladin and the game Zoom Book found here on BFG.

I thought it was interesting that a group from from FAR northern Russia would write a game based on Mexican mythology and surroundings.

As cheap as games credits are I think this one is worth a shot for a few hours of entertainment.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 29, 09 5:59 AM
I used up 25 minutes of my demo hour so far. I had to stop - the teeny tiny font was causing eye strain.

I'm going to put this one down as "if I'm desperate this weekend, I'll buy it". I can put up with the hokey story line. So far the scenes haven't been super interesting, but they are acceptable (far more so than Raigini Island or however you spell it - but I did NOT buy that one and won't).

Go to: