Cultistmum
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

Game Review

[Post New]by Cultistmum on Apr 10, 12 9:44 AM
As it looks like I'm the only one playing this now, and I know I'm wary of games with no reviews or comments, I thought I'd share how I've found this one with anyone considering it.

First of all, the instructions aren't very helpful. They don't give you all the information you might want, and what they do give is written in a somewhat eccentric version of English, so you might be as confused as I was. Secondly, to max out on a stage you need not only to complete your game within the time limit and scoring a set number of combos (continuous matches) and gold ingots (based on point scoring), you must also correctly identify the meaning of a Chinese character. It can be annoying to achieve a good time and score on a game only to lose out because what you thought was the word for 'pig' is actually 'dog'.

That's the down side. On the positive side, the music is really nice; though there are a limited number of music tracks they cycle frequently enough to remain pleasant. The graphics are lovely, really pretty backgrounds to each stage (again, a limited number, but each stage within a level or 'Year' has a different one). As you complete the stages you uncover a 'scroll picture' relevant to the 'Year' you are doing (and incidentally each stage you complete gives you a little lantern, and when you run your cursor along the line you get a rather nice chiming sound). There are trophies in the form of statues, tapestries etc representing the animals of the Chinese Zodiac. The tile sets can be changed, and most of them give you a good chance of making matches. The games are challenging and do get harder as you go on. I'd say it is worth the money, especially if you can get it as a DD or COTW.

Go to: